Of Pricing and the "International" Label

2»

Comments

• Heleina - Sanctuary
    Heleina - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Maybe they should change the game's name to "Perfect World: No Poor People Allowed"

Just found it funny that such sentiments were already said in PW-PH. It was fairly expensive compared to games it's competing with in PH despite the guise of F2P. PWI is another nail in any competitive player's wallet though.

And yes, PW isn't a poor man's game.

But I kinda like it so I spend a little.
  • Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear
    Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    What use is real life marriage? If you really think about it you are paying for some dude to tell you that you and your lover will be together and that your relationship will be acknowleged.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    What use is real life marriage? If you really think about it you are paying for some dude to tell you that you and your lover will be together and that your relationship will be acknowleged.

Tax breaks, legal recognition, etc. I would continue, except you're obviously still a tween.

If you don't like the prices, then don't buy. It's as simple as that. I've never spent a cent, and never plan to, yet I can manage just fine. Anyone who can't must be an absolute moron. The trick is to not go and blow on your money on fashion, dyes, fireworks, game marriage, starting dozens of guilds and all that useless jazz. And avoid the limited edition mounts like the plague. They're never value for money.

All you people endlessly whining.. bunch of bloody moronic crying bunny huggers.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Seilen - Heavens Tear
    Seilen - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    gattsuru wrote: »
    Comparing a video game to purchased goods in real life is not especially meaningful. There's no relevant exchange rate between a real world frozen pizza and an in-game mount.

A more relevant comparison -- and one that's much more important to the PWI bottom line -- is what other comparable goods cost. World Of Warcraft, for example, assume ~15 USD/month, plus box and expansion prices that are (as an internal target) to hit once a year. Do the math and that ends up being 19 USD/month. EverQuest II, and similar traditional MMORPGS that this game resembles run at similar rates. City Of Heroes runs at 15 USD/month plus the recent addition ten dollar elective packs once or twice a year. EverQuest I (with older graphics and design choices) runs at 12 USD/month.

None of these services are going to provide lowered pricing due to an economic downturn. The costs of providing the service are not going to decrease rapidly, nor is discretionary income likely to plummet enough to drive them out of business.

That is what is most relevant to the individuals marketting PWI. That's what they are competing with, not the price of food.

I dunno what they're estimating players to spend, or whether they estimate their game to be "worth more" than EverQuest or World of Warcraft from a user price viewpoint. I have absolutely no idea whether they expect players to burn through Charms or not. That's their prerogative, but basing a discussion on that is probably more relevant to what they're thinking.

(( This player is level <10. Assessments are from general economic viewpoint, not from in-game experience.))
    You are right, but on other side in wow or EQ2 you dont need to spent 2-5 charms or 4k pots a day or spent 8 hours grinding so you can 1 hour play.
    As there was already told several times, high level cleric can spent over 200$ a month just for charms. In P2P 200$ its enough to play for 1.5 year as in those games is much easier get pots and gear as well (never needed to spent so much time grinding to be able advance).

And i am not mentioning Prices for better high lvl gears or gems for which substances cost more then half of average city. b:angry

Oh and well, other PW have also much lower cashshop prices.
  • o0light0o
    o0light0o Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    yea, the prices in the chinese server are the same man...AND the EXCHANGE RATE is like 1US=6CN...couple months ago it was 1US=7CN...TATZ NOT FAIR!! Also the boutique stuff r coming out really slow....b:angry
    Better do something about the prices, or maybe i should just pack my stuff, and go back to the chinese server...or watever server is cheaper! GEEESH
  • fuzzles
    edited January 2009
    o0light0o wrote: »
    Better do something about the prices, or maybe i should just pack my stuff, and go back to the chinese server...or watever server is cheaper! GEEESH

It's so cute the way you think anyone's gonna miss you or care that you're gone. It's nice to see little kids like you with a healthy self esteem.
  • superdaveninja
    superdaveninja Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    hello all:

what i see here is that parties are making this out to be a Lutherian type catastrophe; wherein, in the begining, he did not want to rebel against the status quo, but simply sought courageously to reform it, but pressure from polarized entities invariably induced himself to polarize, which led to his having rebelled. Likewise, people flame Wots and bring in these really arrogant phrases like "if Americans dont want to pay for it europeans will" blah blah blah, when they miss his/her true intent, which, as he/she stated, was to provide a caution. And in my opinion as a law student, he/she does so quite logically and quite objectively. Simply put: Heed this warning, or the game might fail. Simple. No malice, pure amicable foresight and concern. Don't induce a quarrel where one was not intended. Listen to him/her.

These polarized comments begotten of ignorance of the author's intent, arrogance in one's perceived elevated status (footnote 1) simply move to inevitably polarize the community; which as history teaches us, serves no purpose but create war.

So I say: relax; thank Wots for his/her warning; keep criticisms to a positive level, or at the very least objective if an altered perspective may be in order; and cease the subjective assertions, which are incapable of creating a medium by which to discuss or measure a spectrum of relevancy.

Cheers,
    Dave

Footnote:
    1. though if you want to really analyze the economy Europe is a frail as Obama's sense of purpose, so I would caution not to assert so foolhardily the strength of any economy right now
  • fuzzles
    edited January 2009
    Hey, superdaveninja.... what are you trying to prove? Did your parents buy you a copy of "My First Big Book of Economics" and now you can't wait to flaunt your newfound knowledge? Or maybe you only just got around to reading "Economics and Sounding Like a Twit for Dummies" which you got for Christmas..

Whichever it is, no one actually speaks like that in a conversation. I know that you're obviously very proud of surprising everyone by getting some sort of education, carefully taking notes in whatever night school, community college course you attended, but there's a time and a place for you writing like that. The place is in an essay. The time is, in your case, never.
  • superdaveninja
    superdaveninja Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    fuzzles you gotta relax. take your time, reread if necessary.

and just as a heads up- i would not recommend speaking to ones own ineptitude. it doesn't strike for a very good argument.

perhaps i'm wrong in that a population of persons is capable of an actual discussion? perhaps our friend mr fuzzles is not just an example but the embodiment of such juvenile mentality exhibited by the greater population. however, i maintain that dear mr fuzzles is the former, for i have spoken with at least a few persons that can formulate assertions indicative of an actual thought process.

so relax. take a step back. then, if you're willing to contribute something actually useful, please feel free to do so. these little tantrum begotten statements such as "My first...Economics" and your resulting perceived conclusion of "the time is... never" are clearly erroneous; as, lacking any relevant concrete analysis to arrive at said conclusion, your whole argument is simply irrelevant.

so one more time: take a step back, go read a book, do something. and when youre ready to talk at a mature level, your input would be considered. you sir, have a GREAT day.
    cheers,
    Dave
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    Hey, superdaveninja.... what are you trying to prove? Did your parents buy you a copy of "My First Big Book of Economics" and now you can't wait to flaunt your newfound knowledge? Or maybe you only just got around to reading "Economics and Sounding Like a Twit for Dummies" which you got for Christmas..

Whichever it is, no one actually speaks like that in a conversation. I know that you're obviously very proud of surprising everyone by getting some sort of education, carefully taking notes in whatever night school, community college course you attended, but there's a time and a place for you writing like that. The place is in an essay. The time is, in your case, never.

Fuzzles, you should really learn when it is appropriate to keep your yap shut. maybe in "your" crowd of buddies, people don't talk like superdave does... but then again... your pathetic attempt at a decent flame pretty much shows that your not in the same class as he is. Basically... you got PWNT.

Saitada - Contagion Leader
  • fuzzles
    edited January 2009
    Fuzzles, you should really learn when it is appropriate to keep your yap shut. maybe in "your" crowd of buddies, people don't talk like superdave does... but then again... your pathetic attempt at a decent flame pretty much shows that your not in the same class as he is. Basically... you got PWNT.

Saitada - Contagion Leader

I had no idea stringing together a collection of redundantly long words counted as a retort.

Dave's deliberately writing in a convoluted fashion, just so he can appear more sophisticated than everyone else. Never mind that you could knock back a bottle of scotch, shoot your TV set and go storming out of your trailer, and still appear more sophisticated than a whole lot of people.

Hey, Dave! This is the internet! It's full of people who think their opinions are a gift to humanity. You're just one more. I'm not gonna pretend to be writing anything particularly clever or insightful, but by God, I'm gonna enjoy doing so.
  • Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear
    Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    fuzzles wrote: »
    I had no idea stringing together a collection of redundantly long words counted as a retort.

Dave's deliberately writing in a convoluted fashion, just so he can appear more sophisticated than everyone else. Never mind that you could knock back a bottle of scotch, shoot your TV set and go storming out of your trailer, and still appear more sophisticated than a whole lot of people.

Hey, Dave! This is the internet! It's full of people who think their opinions are a gift to humanity. You're just one more. I'm not gonna pretend to be writing anything particularly clever or insightful, but by God, I'm gonna enjoy doing so.
    Now maybe if you were literate you might have seen the retort.

Heck, Dave's main statement wasn't even about the economy. Though it is very true that Dave uses ridiculously unneccesary words to explain his point, not being able to understand a word of it doesn't mean you should flame him, especially when what you said made little to no sense.
  • Firfin - Sanctuary
    Firfin - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Just noticed this thread an even though I didn't read all of it yet, I just want to give you an insight from the European point of view!

Since the Median income seams to be the driving issue for this discussion let me tell you that the median income in the EU is not comparable to the individual countries!
    In some parts of Europe, like France, Germany, Italy and Spain, the average income is around 30k
  • Firfin - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    ...argh the post got cut. Well. To make it short since I didn't save the writing, living in the EU is generally more expensive than people in the US might think. Short Example. A new PS3 Game costs about 69
  • Firfin - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    69€ in Germany. I get the same Game in Cannada for 37€ + 5€ shipping, so I order it there instead of going to the local Shop! Why? Well from the average income of about 30000€ about 30% to 45% go to the State and from the rest u have to make a living for one year! So even I can't spend 30$ for a dragon Mount just like that! Even though I would like to! So from that point of view there really isn't that much of a difference to the money we can spent on a Game compared to what US resindents can! And that isn't much!
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Wow. I've never managed to get the Euro symbol to post. I'd advise avoiding it or other atypical symbols, since the boards tend to choke on them.

I think you're also technically supposed to pay the (largely deductable) 15-20% VAT on a game imported from other countries, but I've never had a good grasp of EU country import taxes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]