sage or demon for tanking

Options
Wulph - Heavens Tear
Wulph - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Barbarian
updated:

so basicly sage gets 180% wep dmg(including our poison) from their own spells but suffers 50% wep dmg redution so it goes up to 130% only.

demon gets 165% wep dmg increase by spells and suffer no redutions.

if this is the case, then demon only sees a 35% more wep dmg increase than sage and has a higher crit rate. sage has 10% more hp and 40% more phisical defence. Sage also heals for more when devour is used.
Post edited by Wulph - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the benefits of both sides. Basically, going heaven will help you tank bosses that you wouldn't be able to otherwise, such as some of the world bosses / tt bosses that would be impossible otherwise. And going hell will limit the number of bosses you can tank, but as you said, will help you keep aggro much easier on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    Klath - Sanctuary Posts: 437 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    as for sage. i dont lvl true form so my dmg is reduced by only 20%, i have 40% increased health due to sage
    You need lv3 to learn lv4 (sage). So you cant get that 40% hp without getting the -50% attack damage.
  • Wulph - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    You need lv3 to learn lv4 (sage). So you cant get that 40% hp without getting the -50% attack damage.

well thats heart breaking :(. if thats the case it will be a bit harder to hold aggro on multi mobs.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    You're never really going to be tanking multiple mobs. Your main job is to tank bosses. If you guys are aoe'ing, the archers will be the ones that pull aggro. If you accidentally aggro 2 mobs or something, you can always just aoe once to prevent the second mob from aggroing the cleric, then tell the rest of the party to assist attack you to target the same mob as you, and finish that one off quickly while the other one smacks at you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well dunno about you, but i NEVER hold agro with pure dmg if other squad members are hitting the same monster.

Its always bleed that keeps the agro, not the dmg. Roar helps too.
    When i tank 2-3 dungeon mobs at time, aoe's help to keep the agro against cleric heals from the extra mobs nobody else is hitting and i also have plenty of time to hit bleeds on all before first one runs out or agro chances. Then our squad can nuke in full force as long as bleeds are on.

We sometimes take several at once so its bit faster than luring 1 by 1 :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    We sometimes take several at once so its bit faster than luring 1 by 1 :D
    May look faster, but you only gained a few seconds. While your repair bill will certain double if you do that too often.
    If your pullers are smart, they will pull a new mob when previous one is at 10%-ish HP.
  • thom
    edited January 2009
    Options
    May look faster, but you only gained a few seconds. While your repair bill will certain double if you do that too often.
    If your pullers are smart, they will pull a new mob when previous one is at 10%-ish HP.

Yeah thats one way to do it too. We just do it for fun. Of course it costs more in repairs but that doesnt matter to me. And no,repairs dont go up to double cost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Wulph - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    i was giving a look at the to sticky guides. one does reccomend to balance your char out depending on how you build em.

focused on humanoid, sage for balancing
    focused on tiger, demon for balancing.

this is what flips me off a bit.

now for the last poster , if our bleeds hold the aggro then building up my dmg is pointless if that is the case. how do tank builds with sage hold on their own when not grouped.?
  • thom
    edited January 2009
    Options
    i was giving a look at the to sticky guides. one does reccomend to balance your char out depending on how you build em.

focused on humanoid, sage for balancing
    focused on tiger, demon for balancing.

this is what flips me off a bit.

now for the last poster , if our bleeds hold the aggro then building up my dmg is pointless if that is the case. how do tank builds with sage hold on their own when not grouped.?

Well i can kill at pretty decent speed alone too, of course its slower than with any other class.

Not yet 89 so cant say much for heaven/hell, but going heaven just to be able to tank everything. Dmg i need only for pvp, that can be done with refined weapon to compensate at least a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Tigers have 4-5 skills that purposedly generate aggro. Just keep casting one after the other and you wont even need to hit the monster.
  • thom
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Tigers have 4-5 skills that purposedly generate aggro. Just keep casting one after the other and you wont even need to hit the monster.

4-5? Barbs have Bleed and Roar to generate aggro according to skill descriptions. No more. Aoe's help a bit but they dont keep aggro nor do they pull it.

Oh yeah and those couple higher level skills.

Edit:Just checked on ecatomb, well there's 3 skills that generate agro, forgot that one lvl79 aoe skill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Wulph - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    any other high lvl barbs want to share some more insight.?
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    4-5? Barbs have Bleed and Roar to generate aggro according to skill descriptions. No more. Aoe's help a bit but they dont keep aggro nor do they pull it.

Oh yeah and those couple higher level skills.

Edit:Just checked on ecatomb, well there's 3 skills that generate agro, forgot that one lvl79 aoe skill.
    By the order you obtain:
    Flesh Ream
    Devour
    Talk is Cheap
    Untamed Wrath
  • thom
    edited January 2009
    Options
    By the order you obtain:
    Flesh Ream
    Devour
    Talk is Cheap
    Untamed Wrath

Oh lol Forgot devour too then. Shouldnt post stuff late at night.

Thanks for correcting me,my head is like a sieve sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    If I ever get to lvl89, I'm going Sage. Why be a tank, if you wanna just do damage? I'd rather be the uber tank. b:laugh

Besides the sage damage buffs more than compensate for the atk reduction in tigerform (imho).
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Unconquered - Lost City
    Unconquered - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    if you wanna tank just go Heaven.

hell has true form but thats so you can opt to pvp in tiger form, as heaven you get stronger skills and higher % increase from axe/hammer mastery, and higher hp. you also get a stronger spark, and all your base damage is higher than hell barbs.

finally your damage will aways be $hit compared to other classes, the bite+bleed is whats holding the aggro.
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Damage is meaningless for holding aggro at later levels. 99% of your aggro holding is in the bleeding.

As such, holy works better for tanking, sheerly because it has more HP and phys defense.

Here's the low-down, the skinny, the big, the bad, the good and the ugly.. all rolled into one nifty bite sized bundle of information.
    http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Personally, I'm going to hell.. or demon, as they insist on calling it here.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Wulph - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    so basicly sage gets 180% wep dmg from their own spells but suffers 50% wep dmg redution so it goes up to 130% only.

demon gets 165% wep dmg increase by spells and suffer no reductions.
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    As i already said before. You need to have the skill MAXED to upgrade it to sage OR demon.
    Go to www.ecatomb.net, put skill on max level, then hit "skill +" button again, that is the sage/demon upgrade.
  • Wulph - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    Options
    actually checking the other versions of the game does clarify it.
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    personally i am tank build low damage lower str (just enough to use latest armor **** weaps) i am gonna go sage i never pvp and always love to tank

my friend is a damage build (much more on str) he is gonna go demon i think as he is alway amped up for pvp.

if you ever see us latter don't be in pk LOL
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    just jokeing i never go pk i find it distastful
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • Klath - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Options
    so basicly sage gets 180% wep dmg(including our poison) from their own spells but suffers 50% wep dmg redution so it goes up to 130% only.

if this is the case, then demon only sees a 35% more wep dmg increase than sage and has a higher crit rate. sage has 10% more hp and 40% more phisical defence. Sage also heals for more when devour is used.so basicly sage gets 180% wep dmg(including our poison) from their own spells but suffers 50% wep dmg redution so it goes up to 130% only.

if this is the case, then demon only sees a 35% more wep dmg increase than sage and has a higher crit rate. sage has 10% more hp and 40% more phisical defence. Sage also heals for more when devour is used.
    The calculation is almost correct, will list all damage bonus and penalties:

Sage:
    -50% damage on trueform (lv89)
    +40% damage on poison fang (lv92)
    +50% damage on strenght of titans (lv99)
    +100% damage on axe mastery (lv92)

Demon
    +50% damage on poison fang (lv92)
    +40% damage on strenght of titans (lv99)
    +75% damage on axe mastery (lv92)

Sage 240%
    Demon 265%

Total of 25% more weapon damage for demons on cat form. Plus 4% extra crits (and 5% for 1 minute from titans buff).
    But until lv99, demon has 10% extra damage.