Question About Pet Sizes

Lochiel - Sanctuary
Lochiel - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Venomancer
I'm a little curious if there's pet shrinkage when taming in PW like there is in WoW. For anyone that hasn't played WoW, if there's an enormous and cool-looking creature you want to tame, it tends to shrink in size to something closer to the character's height after taming (sad if you tame one of the t-rex creatures and have it shrink from 50 feet to 6 feet). So, I'm wondering if the same thing happens in PW. I have a lynxus that's fairly large (almost larger than my veno) and saw a pretty blue lynxus today that is even larger than my purple one. If I tame the new blue one, will it still be the big size that it is, or will it get smaller after taming? Do very large creatures get closer to the veno's size after taming in general, or do they remain fairly big?
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
~Oscar Wilde
Post edited by Lochiel - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Silverviper - Sanctuary
    Silverviper - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    simple answer... " what you see is what you get "
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure that answered my question. Are you meaning to say whatever size the creature is when I'm fighting it is the same size it will be when I tame it and it hatches out of the egg?
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Malcuid - Sanctuary
    Malcuid - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    exactly.
    the bigger you tame the bigger you get afterwards.
    Size doesn't change.
    Maybe a pitty it doesnt with some of those annoying big creatures in the way when you try to help
  • swiftlikeafox
    swiftlikeafox Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    As SilverViper said, pets stay the same size as their mob counterparts....... but with some pets you do get a lower graphic quality version than the mob it was tamed from, might look a bit blockier and missing some of it's details......

I've noticed the biggest difference with the Foxwings, the mob version wears a pendant around it's neck and has little tufts of fur that look like wings on their legs, the pet version is missing the pendant, missing the tufts of fur on it's legs, and has pencil thin legs.

so "what you see is what you get" isn't quite an accurate statement with all pets.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I wish they did shrink. Every Veno (who doesnt own a herc) has a Golem of some sort as their main physical tank. And damn if it isnt annoying as hell trying to click around it. Actually i think some Veno's refuse to use the Golem, knowing it is a superior pet stat-wise, but that inconvenience & annoyance is enough of a facter to push it into non use.
  • FoxDancing - Lost City
    FoxDancing - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    simple answer... " what you see is what you get "

...have to kind of laugh about this...what you see may not be what you get, in some respects!b:chuckle ever seen one of the little snow bunnies take on a level 25-30 mob like it was eating a carrot? its hysterical to watch mine whomp a huge nasty while im busy with others who ganged up on us! i dont make a habit of that happening, and actively try to avoid it, but it does happen.

and on the subject of size...just because its big and mean looking doesnt mean it will do well or have staying power in a longish battle. iin grinding battles, its so strange that my snakevalley wolf tends to **** out a lot quicker than my frozen wolfmaster who has less on the stat wheel, but is better rounded. i dont really understand the hows and whys of stats....tool old to figure that number stuff out...but i tend to put out old Amaroq when things get tough...or Kodak, my snow bunbun, and let him take care of things then take pics afterwards! ( the sound these lil guys make sounds like an old camera to me-i wishi had named him Shutterbug instead!)b:chuckle
    FoxDancing
    @->~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *...foxes dance across the hilltops by moonlight...*
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i think some Veno's refuse to use the Golem, knowing it is a superior pet stat-wise, .

Not exactly...
    but here's my spin...

Just because all these folks ahead of you jumped off the same cliff, doesn't mean you have to...you could maybe look around for the bridge, though the majority will still jump.
    Oishasan
    Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    I see, so they do stay big. Interesting. That's handy to know for taming a pet that strikes my fancy on if they'll be in the way or not.

I've seen the golems, but I haven't a clue where people get them or if I even want one. They're not attractive pets, in my opinion. It's sort of a WoW hunter habit of mine to seek out interesting pets or pets that fit the archetype I have in mind for whatever character I'm playing.

Luckily for me, PW seems to allow oppurtunities to tame just about every creature under its virtual sun (even the walking cati!) in various sizes and colors. Finding the perfect pet (well, for me, anyway) is going to be a fun challenge.
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Mohkano - Sanctuary
    Mohkano - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I just noticed something else too, when you tame the crystalline magmites (the ones in timberfield), they become hornless.
    If you look at the monster in the wild, it's got a whole horn and a stub of one, after you tame it, it only has two stubs. I was somewhat disappointed at that.

I do like the golems though, they're kind of bulky and are annoying in terms of the amount of the screen they take up, but I like how simple and strong they are.
    Efficiency has a beauty all it's own. ^^
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I haven't seen it myself, as it seems to be a slow process, but I hear some pets grow as they level up. Atleast, the qingfus and beetle kings do, I think.
  • Danni - Heavens Tear
    Danni - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Not exactly...
    but here's my spin...

Just because all these folks ahead of you jumped off the same cliff, doesn't mean you have to...you could maybe look around for the bridge, though the majority will still jump.

And then there are those good enough to come with a parachute.

The size of the golem isn't a very big problem at all once you learn how to get around it.

You can either make a compromise and get a smaller pet that isn't as good a tank or you can deal with the size. Do not make the assumption that everyone who chooses the golem is doing it because everyone else does.
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    As a new user to the game and still learning my way around Venomancers, is there a site somewhere with pet statistics, locations, ect? For WoW, a hunter enthusiast made a site called Petopia that's a catalogue of all the tamable pets (and a few non-tamable) with their abilities, locations, and so forth (as well as a blog that serves as an open discussion for hunters to chat about pets). Is there anything like that for PWI?

People here are mentioning all these interesting-sounding creatures and I don't know what they look like, much less where to find them.. or what kind of pet they make. So, a visual list of pets for PWI and their abilities would be nice if there is one.
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I have a golem as part of my project, but I don't like it, but I wouldn't want it to shrink like it would in WoW. What I don't like is it stands on top of me, and not off to one side like they do in Wow.

It's annoying.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • Danni - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    People here are mentioning all these interesting-sounding creatures and I don't know what they look like, much less where to find them.. or what kind of pet they make. So, a visual list of pets for PWI and their abilities would be nice if there is one.

This gives pictures of the pets and stats at lvl 90 also coordinates on where you can find it.
    http://ecatomb.net/petstat.php
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Thank you, Danni. I'll check that site out now. ^__^
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Malcuid - Sanctuary
    Malcuid - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Lochiel, you will see them over a few levels, oncve you are around 16 - 19 you will have seen them.
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    That site Danni gave seems to be missing quite a few off their list. They didn't have undines (I think that's what they're called) or some of the others I've seen people with.

Malcuid>> Really? Are you meaning the golems?
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Danni - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    It doesn't tell you where every pet is, just the ones people are a bit more likely to have. Like the undines, as far as a water pet goes until 80 people just find something nearby and tame it and get rid of it when they're done.
  • Saxira - Heavens Tear
    Saxira - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    and you will learn to hate water....

i feel so useless most times while i do water quests....
    usually i have 1-2 deaths.b:sad
    what you must have in mind as you lvl (am a veteran wow hunter also) is to have ALWAYS with your land pets an air pet and try to have it close to your lvl
    Sad thing with the pets here is that higher lvls are not better so usually you will be very disappointed when you try that new interesting tameable mob you see or fight

Almost 70% of our quests are land quests,20% air and 10% water...
    Dont bother with water pets,try to get when you get water quests the closest to your lvl turtle and you will be ok
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    All good information. Too bad Veno's don't have a way to scope out critters like Hunters do (Beast Lore) before taming to see if they're worth it.

How many "families" of creatures are there that can be tamed?
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    All good information. Too bad Veno's don't have a way to scope out critters like Hunters do (Beast Lore) before taming to see if they're worth it.

How many "families" of creatures are there that can be tamed?

Cat
    Wolf
    Golem
    Insect
    Turtle
    Foxwing
    Hare
    Antelope

Among others...I'm grouping different types of insect under that one, BTW.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Cats would include lynxus types and those minkin things, right? or are minkins wolf types?
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    You forgot..
    Plant.
    (the cactus union reps will be in touch!)

and..
    rhino
    Adawolf
    big monkey guys (HUGE)
    Tuskmoors
    terepest(sp.) the ones by the Plume city fb19
    oddfoot (penguins?)
    mermaids/laughing girls
    fish (though you said turtles)
    insects is a big category too.
    as is cats
    and wolf

and more I haven't seen yet...
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, Oishasn. There looks like there's a lot of categories. I'm still surprised someone hasn't taken time to make a site dedicated solely to the numerous types of creatures Venos can tame in this game. Aside from "families", there's colors, stats, levels, locations... wow, it's a lot of info. ^__^

Are cacti the only plants to tame, or are there others?
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If by "family" you mean pets that look roughly the same, have similar stats and the same growth-charts, I know one but it's in Japanese.

See if this works:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://kanbisekai.wikiwiki.jp/%3F%25CD%25C5%25C0%25BA%25CD%25D1%25A5%25DA%25A5%25C3%25A5%25C8%252F%25A5%25B0%25A5%25E9%25A5%25D5

here's the original:
    http://kanbisekai.wikiwiki.jp/?%CD%C5%C0%BA%CD%D1%A5%DA%A5%C3%A5%C8%2F%A5%B0%A5%E9%A5%D5

I'm sure there's a list of tamable pets somewhere on the internet, but i don't remember one atm :P
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm still surprised someone hasn't taken time to make a site dedicated solely to the numerous types of creatures Venos can tame in this game.

Someone's working on a wiki with pet stats. He's filled out the info on some of the pets, but I think filling the rest out will have to be a community effort. I've been trying to back out the formula the game uses for pet stat growth each level, but the attack value progression seems to be different for each pet.

There's also a Japanese site with pet growth stats for the different pet types (same types have the same picture in your pet bag). From left to right, the columns are HP, speed, accuracy, evasion, p.def, m.def, attack, regen, and total. I've found the growth table on the wiki to be more accurate than the Japanese site though.

If I can get the attack value progression figured out, I wanted to put a pet stat calculator and comparator on my web site, so people could figure out which pet best fit their needs and preferences.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    snakes..

forgot to add snakes..
    Sorry, Indiana
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Silverviper - Sanctuary
    Silverviper - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    There are also Dragons in the game but I have not been able to find one that can be tamed.. b:sad
  • Lochiel - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    Wow, that Japanese site is really thourough. I had no idea there were so many. One thing I didn't see there, though, and it might be that I wasn't sure what to look for was.. well, over the Bamboo Village there's these guys that look like nagas with wings. What are those?
    ~Oscar Wilde
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    nagas with wings? I think you mean the vipions. There are no tamable vipions as far as I know.

This database contains lists of mobs that has locations, lvls, whether they are tamable, etc., but it doesn't show their pictures :P
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/
    If a mob is tamable, then it will have a green teddybear-looking face beside its name in the list. e.g: http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/lvl/0-9
    Also, please note that the stats and elements shown here are the stats for MOBS. Once a mob is tamed into a pet, the pet has different stats and becomes "no element".