Why do most people only choose normal skin colors?

Briegg - Sanctuary
Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I mean com on you can be like bright green if you wanted to
you could have the next hulk character!

although my avi doesn't show it my characters black
i mean dark black! with white everything else!

i think one guy laughed at me and said dark elf
anywho
why not!?
if you truly want an original character spice it up a little you know?

though this could be a very noob question because they may not have originally been able to change the skin color
in which case i apologize for being new to the game
still though!
i want to see a rainbow of colors when i walk into a town..!

whh.
thats just me..

hello everyone my characters name is briegg and i've only been playing for two days!
baha!
Post edited by Briegg - Sanctuary on

Comments

• turonga
    turonga Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Its all about preferances.
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    ohh thats one thing that made me angry
    why can't you change the colors of the beast race??
    i wanted a red and gold panda!!
    with Green eyes!!
  • Zenpachi - Heavens Tear
    Zenpachi - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    ohh thats one thing that made me angry
    why can't you change the colors of the beast race??
    i wanted a red and gold panda!!
    with Green eyes!!
    Yeah, there's a lot you can't change about an Untamed character. Kinda frustrating. You can change the eye colors, though. Oh, and the overall size. And that's about it. Yeah...

...and we all turn into white tigers.

...with flaming feet.

...yeah.
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I like your creativity.
    Keep that attitude going, and show off your uniqueness.
    Shine on =)

I stuck with a normal colour, cause well.. I'm not as fun and creative as you.
    I'm a rather boring person you see. b:pleased
  • turonga
    turonga Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, there's a lot you can't change about an Untamed character. Kinda frustrating. You can change the eye colors, though. Oh, and the overall size. And that's about it. Yeah...

...and we all turn into white tigers.

...with flaming feet.

...yeah.

And the fact that you can't change gender, its driving me insane, I wanna have an alt veno yet I'm not comfortable having a girl character.
  • WolfLadyCZ - Sanctuary
    WolfLadyCZ - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I mean com on you can be like bright green if you wanted to
    you could have the next hulk character!

although my avi doesn't show it my characters black
    i mean dark black! with white everything else!

i think one guy laughed at me and said dark elf
    anywho
    why not!?
    if you truly want an original character spice it up a little you know?

though this could be a very noob question because they may not have originally been able to change the skin color
    in which case i apologize for being new to the game
    still though!
    i want to see a rainbow of colors when i walk into a town..!

whh.
    thats just me..

hello everyone my characters name is briegg and i've only been playing for two days!
    baha!
    I think it's because the people are either:
    1) lazy
    2) uninventive or
    3) just plain satisfied with "normal" colors.

I'm not... if you want, look me up ingame, we can show off our chars together XD
  • Orda - Sanctuary
    Orda - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Or, maybe we dont want to play a character that looks like the entire cast of 'Glitter'.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    turonga wrote: »
    And the fact that you can't change gender, its driving me insane, I wanna have an alt veno yet I'm not comfortable having a girl character.

b:laugh Sexuality issues much? b:chuckle

Saitada
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    lol. Yeah I wonder about that sometimes too. My char is also completely black, with white hair and eyebrows and gold eyes. I think one reason that people don't make chars with strange colours is that it's harder to make them look good. I spent a ton of time in character creation trying to come up with a combo of hair, eye, eyebrow, eyeshadow, lip colours that'll look good together on black skin. I'm very happy with the results, but that also means I spent a ton of time trying on other ppl's clothes just to see which colours would look good on my strangely coloured char. All armour so far looks great on my char, but my colour choices for fashions are pretty limited. most fashions that has solid, dark colours look awful on it. Some lighter colours look very bad too. On the bright side, It stands out and get noticed. I get many comments on my char from my guildies, and we often joke about it.b:chuckle
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I have problems with how my character looks when I use darker colors.

The technique used here, for giving our characters' skin depth and form, seems to assume that we have light colored skin. I have seen some other people with good looking characters with dark skin, but I just got too frustrated, and gave up, when I tried.
  • WingNoir - Heavens Tear
    WingNoir - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think people lack of imagination or don't want to spend time make the odd color character look good.
    I have a elf with dark purple skin, white hair and eybrowns, white lips and blue eyes.
  • Ormenelle - Heavens Tear
    Ormenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    " Just because you are unique does not mean you are useful. "

This Demotivator says it all.

The line is thin between extravagance and ugliness, and few people are able and willing to spend sometimes a few hours to adjust their character's looks. Most of the time, it's ME WANT TO PLAY ! NOW !

Many of the non-standard chars are just plain eyesore, to the point that I would be ashamed to be caught grouping with them.

But from what you say, it seems you have the masochistic patience needed to fine-tune freakishness into something dashing. :)
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I like to be creative with my own characters but I stick to a more realistic theme when it comes to skin colours, but i'll still go wild with hair and eye colour :p

Alot of it has to do with be people just being lazy and sticking with the presets. Where's your imagination people? Indepth character customisation for a reason you know u.u
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pixiewink - Heavens Tear
    Pixiewink - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I've done a few with odd coloring and such just for laugh. But after a few weeks or so the novelty starts to wear off so i've either changed with makeover scrolls or trashed them altogether. One of the problems i have is that the coloring options kinda suck. They should have used the same color system for the skin as they did for all the other things.
  • silverkitty
    silverkitty Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I find it amusing that people copying the Drow Elf archetype from D&D think they're being "original"
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I find it amusing that people copying the Drow Elf archetype from D&D think they're being "original"

Or Legolas! b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I don't know... when I thought about how I'd imagine my Cleric to look like, Shrek's wife didn't come to my mind. So she's looking quite... normal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aryetta - Lost City
    Aryetta - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I wanted to make a bright green character but i couldnt find the shade. I like lotsa colors. =D
  • Amanduh - Lost City
    Amanduh - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    My first veno was more normal looking....actually i made her a cute red headed bunny
    http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/triaz09/Veno/?action=view&current=2009-01-0814-14-06.jpg.
    She's green looks mean and no more problems with embrace requests. Actually now it's starting to grow on me because I hardly ever see anyone that looks like her.
  • fancywhat
    fancywhat Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    [/QUOTE]
    She's green looks mean and no more problems with embrace requests. Actually now it's starting to grow on me because I hardly ever see anyone that looks like her.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!
    I think that's the reason people don't go crazy with wild customization. Other people will treat them as they would a green skinned person in real life. Personally I love seeing wild, crazy looking, creative avatars. The people behind them are usually more fun to play with anyway. b:laugh
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009

But that's just it. To make a char with strange colours u don't really have to put in a lot of energy or creativeness. Lots of other people have already experimented with colours in books, games, movies, Japanese anime, etc, with some really interesting results for u to copy. The only difference between making a char with "normal" colours and making a char with "abnormal" colours is that people will laugh at you for copying things like the Drow Elf archetype, but nobody will laugh at you for copying the Human archetype. Just about everybody who don't use presets think they are being original in some way normal colours or not, cuz that's what the character customization is for. So since we've got this free tool to experiment with colours and whatnots, why not go a little wild and have a little fun with it?b:cute
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    u answered your own question really, because more ppl are normal :P
  • Ithildwen - Sanctuary
    Ithildwen - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I've spent a good two hours on my first character. It's important that I like the look of my own character since I'll spend hours playing with it. Strange colors are great, but I know myself. I'd get sick of looking at it after a while. I don't want that to happen, so I made it beautiful but rather normal looking to ensure my playing fun. That doesn't mean that I'm not fun to play the game with though...b:surrender
  • anaeli
    anaeli Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Just because you have a "normal" looking character doesn't mean you didn't put a lot of thought into the look.

I prefer to spend more time redesigning the shape of the face, eyes, nose, and mouth to give my character a more subtle take on unique.

And a thought to ponder?

If we are all unique, that is just another way to say that none of us are.
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i've now tried to make 2 red toons, but the result always looks purple :c
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]