Question

_Arrow_ - Lost City
_Arrow_ - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Archer
Ok, so I started over...again >.> and I want to know if vicous or frost arrow is worth lvling up

also is knockback or take aim worth the spirit and money?

thanks for answers b:victory
Infamous (PvP guild) recruiting 40+
PK/FB/Vent/TS/HH
PM me on Lost City b:victory
Post edited by _Arrow_ - Lost City on

Comments

• DeliaLotus - Lost City
    DeliaLotus - Lost City Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Frost arrow seems to be highly debated. There's another thread on it here. At the early levels, it was definitely useful, but as to whether or not to level it past level 1, or what level to bring it to is debatable.

Vicious arrow is generally regarded as not worth the cost, but there's also a thread about it here for more information. I recently leveled it up from 0 to 3, and against most enemies (environment so far, haven't tried PvP), it seems mostly useless, and I think I would have rather saved the skill points.

Take aim is one of the best archer skills in my opinion. It's always the first active skill I level up (the passive ones such as Winged Blessing are still more important). I open almost every attack against environment enemies with it. Why is it so useful? Sure, it takes forever to shoot, but as an opening move, (or perhaps later even as a mid-attack move), it is great. Unlike other skills, which do a fixed amount of extra damage, take aim does percentage based damage, so as you level it's power increases along with your player's, meaning that the higher level you are the more powerful it is compared to your player when it's fully leveled, while other skills merely keep up to their previous usefullness.

Knockback arrow is another great skill, since it gives you around 3 more shots on a target without taking damage. BUT, I wouldn't reccommend leveling it past level 1. The range of knockback doesn't increase, but the mana cost and damage will. Having the lower mana cost here by keeping it at level one means you can use it as often as it recharges. It's just as effective level 1 even as your player gets stronger, and the mana cost as a percentage of your total decreases.
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Frost Arrow is definitely worth it, from what I know. Not so sure about Vicious Arrow. I think it would be ok to let Vicious Arrow lag back. It's not a nessecity but if you want it, go for it.

I say yes to Knock Back Arrow. I consider it of very good use- It lets be escape from nay monster if I just so happen to be attacking a monster that's way levels beyond me or if I've run out of Chaos Powder and have to go immediately.

That's just my opinion, although.

--Rayna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active
  • Carial - Sanctuary
    Carial - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    In my opinion frost is a good one to go with it slows the target and gives you more time to get more hits on it. Vicious is one of those that you need to make your own mind up on ( I leveled it some but should have save the spirit). Knockback i use alot in giving myself more room (and higher hits) on melee targets but like already stated I would not take it past 1.
    Good Luck and happy hunting.
    Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream. Edgar Alan Poe
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Personally, I almost never use frost arrow, because when I do I use up my chi, health and mana too fast, and so I always use other ways of fighting.
  • BloodCountes - Heavens Tear
    BloodCountes - Heavens Tear Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If u wanna go sage - u should max frost arrow and take aim...and maybe the vicious arrow later cause it drains mp (when u go heaven)...which can be very useful against barbs in pvp.
    My people, some of them have run away to the hills
    and have no shelter. No food, no one knows where they are,
    hear me my chiefs, I am tired. My heart is sick and sad,
    I will fight no more....
  • FroozeBow - Heavens Tear
    FroozeBow - Heavens Tear Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Ok let me give you a bit of my opinion on the skills you stated b:pleased

Frost arrow - I personally wouldn't recommend leveling this one up. Why? Because every time you lvl it up, wasting spirit and coins, it only adds .2 seconds of 50% speed reduction. Now account for the lag (which is almost very likely to be there), it will make a very small difference to none at all. But you should definitely use it though, just keep it at lvl 1.

Vicious arrow - Archers are for killing fast and keeping a distance, so I would much rather use my mana (and spirit/coins) on other skills (i.e. lightning strike, thunder shock, aim low, knockback, etc..) than use it on this DoT skill. Also, by the time you kill the mob (assuming you used vicious arrow), it would have barely reached half of its damage. Keep it at lvl 1, but don't use it, you should always learn a new skill, but it depends if you want to advance it.

Take aim - Ewww, I really personally imho hate this skill. I wouldn't know about it at higher lvls, I'm sure it's certainly good, but at your level (and mine) it's completely garbage. At lvl 5ish, quickshot did more damage, took less mana and was an instant skill. And, quickshot sucks. Sucks. It is a terrible skill for damage and you should not lvl it any higher than 2-4 (talking about quickshot here), because then your normal attacks will start doing damage about equal to quickshot, so NO. I don't use Take aim, It's at lvl 1 atm, and it's going to stay that way until I either have excess spirit points or I become mental =P

Knockback - This is one of my favorite skills. It, as stated by Delia, gives you about 3-4 more shots before the enemy gets back on you, but before he does that, he should be already dead ^^. So now about lvling it... each lvl adds 130 damage and +10 mana (about). But, the 12 meter knockback stays the same. So... I really wouldn't level this one up because you aren't look for the (crappy) damage but rather the effect it has (knockback), so if you level it, all you are doing is adding a small damage to it and adding mana. So, don't level it, but certainly use it.

b:victory
  • _Arrow_ - Lost City
    _Arrow_ - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Ok let me give you a bit of my opinion on the skills you stated b:pleased

Frost arrow - I personally wouldn't recommend leveling this one up. Why? Because every time you lvl it up, wasting spirit and coins, it only adds .2 seconds of 50% speed reduction. Now account for the lag (which is almost very likely to be there), it will make a very small difference to none at all. But you should definitely use it though, just keep it at lvl 1.

Vicious arrow - Archers are for killing fast and keeping a distance, so I would much rather use my mana (and spirit/coins) on other skills (i.e. lightning strike, thunder shock, aim low, knockback, etc..) than use it on this DoT skill. Also, by the time you kill the mob (assuming you used vicious arrow), it would have barely reached half of its damage. Keep it at lvl 1, but don't use it, you should always learn a new skill, but it depends if you want to advance it.

Take aim - Ewww, I really personally imho hate this skill. I wouldn't know about it at higher lvls, I'm sure it's certainly good, but at your level (and mine) it's completely garbage. At lvl 5ish, quickshot did more damage, took less mana and was an instant skill. And, quickshot sucks. Sucks. It is a terrible skill for damage and you should not lvl it any higher than 2-4 (talking about quickshot here), because then your normal attacks will start doing damage about equal to quickshot, so NO. I don't use Take aim, It's at lvl 1 atm, and it's going to stay that way until I either have excess spirit points or I become mental =P

Knockback - This is one of my favorite skills. It, as stated by Delia, gives you about 3-4 more shots before the enemy gets back on you, but before he does that, he should be already dead ^^. So now about lvling it... each lvl adds 130 damage and +10 mana (about). But, the 12 meter knockback stays the same. So... I really wouldn't level this one up because you aren't look for the (crappy) damage but rather the effect it has (knockback), so if you level it, all you are doing is adding a small damage to it and adding mana. So, don't level it, but certainly use it.

b:victory

actually i've made up my mind and you're wrong on one of them

take aim - lvl it, very useful (i love this skill)

knockback - leave at lvl 1 for the knockback affect (useful)

frost arrow - leave at lvl 1 until lvl 50-60 (take aim then frost arrow is awesome)

vicious arrow - leave it at lvl 1 (i never really use it)
    Infamous (PvP guild) recruiting 40+
    PK/FB/Vent/TS/HH
    PM me on Lost City b:victory
  • BanexOfxEvil - Sanctuary
    BanexOfxEvil - Sanctuary Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    take aim= usless

frost arrow= definately worth it.. i use it all the time and it hasnt let me down especially on fire mobs

vicious arrow= very useless.. take serated arrow at a later lvl

knockback= youll need it 100%.. get it lvl 1 and stop lvling it
    [SIGPIC]i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp237/DoT_Ending/Sigs/Evilcopy.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i use take aim lvl 1 cast/cancel channel all the time to build chi for winged shell and sparks