Begginer Mage Seeking Answers

henryy
henryy Posts: 7 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hi. I just started PW, and i chose the mage because they get awsome
skills and do good damage ^_^.
Question 1:
I just leveled to level 12, and my herigram (recovers hp when hp is 50% below) went bye-bye. So is there anyway i can do another quest to get another one? Because i really have low hp without it >.<
Question 2:
I've followed the hybrid build, so i add 3magic 1 str, 1 dex per level.
Should i add vit for more hp?
Question 3: I got a lot of jewls, (stones, red jade) stuff like that, do i npc it or do i sell them to players? and how much are they worth?
Question 4: How much ressistance should my equips give in total right now? (at level 12) cause right now i have about 300+
Thanks in advance!b:pleased
IGN: LuckySpell
Post edited by henryy on

Comments

• Red_Robin - Sanctuary
    Red_Robin - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    1: No you can not, you have to buy from boutique for 80silver
    2: What you have picked is the Light Armor Build(Able to wear Light Armor) not hybrid, not very good to add Vit since you need to stack it to get results which decreases your damage very much and also you can just get HP by putting in HP shards in armors
    3, You can buy those jewels from the Merchant they are fairly cheap around 400 for a orange jade(not sure)
    4: That depends on your gear, the more stars your gear have the more defense it gives, also you points give defense as well.
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Personally I put everything into magic for a mage because you dont want to go toe to toe with a mob...kill them before they reach you with magic.
    Read the class forums for some good advice.
    Keep the jade because you will need it to manufacture armor and weapons.
  • Scias - Lost City
    Scias - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Actually, I don't think you should keep the jades. One reason why I said this is because, since you are new to the game the whole concept of crafting and stuff is going to be confusing I bet, I would just skip it for now since you can get most of your equipment from mob drops as well as from quests rewards. Play and get to know the game more before you start crafting, also since your inventory is pretty small...you can't keep lugging all that crafting junk around just sell it for a little bit of cash.

The only craft I would suggest leveling is apothecary, its pretty easy to do, will give you a idea of what crafting is, and it also yields 50hp/sec early on and 50mp/sec recovery items later on. The 50hp/sec recovery can be a good replacement for your heiro if you need it.

As for your resists, as long as you keep up to date with new armor you should be fine. Also I would suggest visiting the apothecary to buy hp/mp pots, they are not too expensive early on and you can lvl almost continuously spamming mp pots, trust me its worth it, killing 4-5 mobs then resting cause your out of mp/hp can get boring and its very slow going.

Heres a tip, a good way to get money is to pick up dragonquest items, just npc these for 800 a piece (for the lvl 20 its 800) and you can amass a quick fortune easy. I had 400k by the time I was lvl 30, thats with spamming mp pots and buying them in 100s at a time, I soloed mostly so I got all the dq item drops (cause item drops in party are shared).

*edit* sorry for the wall of text, some of you might not agree with my suggestions but please consider his time in PW and his lvl.

Note*You can expand your storage using dragonquest items ingame without using cash shop*
  • henryy
    edited January 2009
    Well i just do the quests to level up, so i don't know if i will be getting all the dragonquest items, and how do i see how many stars my gear have? because i just use the gear that monsters drop, and most of that can be bought through npc.
  • henryy
    edited January 2009
    When you mean 50hp/sec, do you mean using potions or just normal recovery? Cause if it's normal recovery that it could be really useful ^_^ And i have a few dragon quest items right now
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The DQ items are things that drop from the regular monsters you will be killing anyway for the quests. Beyond the ones you need for the two free safe expansions, it is a good idea to just sell them for now. Later, you can decide if you want to do the dragon quests without any big disadvantage from not having saved up the drops along the way.

As for the item stars... Every now and then, one of those dropped equipment items will be blue. That is better than the regular equipment because it has a random special feature. Of the blue items, a scarce number will have not just 1 star by their name, but 2. Those are better because they have more special features and they have better base statistics. Crafting is the more practical way to get higher quality gear (the 2-star or 3-star items or, later, the gold legendary items, and green twilight temple items, etc.). Or, you can buy stuff that other people made.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    henryy wrote: »
    When you mean 50hp/sec, do you mean using potions or just normal recovery? Cause if it's normal recovery that it could be really useful ^_^ And i have a few dragon quest items right now

The items he is talking about give you that as a boost to normal recovery, but only for a window of, I think, 10 minutes. Still, they are very nice - almost like having a cleric looking out for you.
  • henryy
    edited January 2009
    The DQ items are things that drop from the regular monsters you will be killing anyway for the quests. Beyond the ones you need for the two free safe expansions, it is a good idea to just sell them for now. Later, you can decide if you want to do the dragon quests without any big disadvantage from not having saved up the drops along the way.

As for the item stars... Every now and then, one of those dropped equipment items will be blue. That is better than the regular equipment because it has a random special feature. Of the blue items, a scarce number will have not just 1 star by their name, but 2. Those are better because they have more special features and they have better base statistics. Crafting is the more practical way to get higher quality gear (the 2-star or 3-star items or, later, the gold legendary items, and green twilight temple items, etc.). Or, you can buy stuff that other people made.
    So does that mean that i'll have about the same amount of DQ items that he said he got soloing? since the quests give some coins to it so i'm guessing that i'll most likely have 400k by level 30 too ^_^ And i'll see into that potion making thing, it sounds really useful. Better go get that potion making skill.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    edited January 2009
    If you consistently sell the DQ items, you will have a lot of coin. 400K was after the expense of a lot of pots, it sounds like. I think it is possible to have more. But, to keep doing this past 21 (when you get access to the dragon quests) requires you to decide you do not want to do those.
  • henryy
    edited January 2009
    If you consistently sell the DQ items, you will have a lot of coin. 400K was after the expense of a lot of pots, it sounds like. I think it is possible to have more. But, to keep doing this past 21 (when you get access to the dragon quests) requires you to decide you do not want to do those.
    I don't think i want to do the dragon quests, but what do you get from them? i read in the quest guide that theres one starting at level 19.
    And what level do the DQ items really start dropping?
  • IceMomo - Heavens Tear
    IceMomo - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I just started yesterday, i'm lvl 4 mage, I don't get how to learn new skills or put skill points. It says that I should have learned Gush at lvl 3 but I didin't, i'm a little confused at how we learn skills or how to to put skill points. o.O"
  • henryy
    edited January 2009
    I just started yesterday, i'm lvl 4 mage, I don't get how to learn new skills or put skill points. It says that I should have learned Gush at lvl 3 but I didin't, i'm a little confused at how we learn skills or how to to put skill points. o.O"
    to learn skills, go to Pai the Wizard, and to level them up you should go to the Wizard Trainer. Both can be found through the coridinent Assistant. (can be found under the mini map)
  • Red_Robin - Sanctuary
    Red_Robin - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    henryy wrote: »
    to learn skills, go to Pai the Wizard, and to level them up you should go to the Wizard Trainer. Both can be found through the coridinent Assistant. (can be found under the mini map)

....sign* they are the same thing...she is located near the moat of etherblade, south of the auctioneer
  • Scias - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    I would probably ignore doing the dragonquests early on, mainly because most people tend to be lacking a lot of money early on for some reason.

In each dragonquest, there is 10 steps total, some steps require you to run around and talk to people in different cities, some requires you to kill something (sometimes a boss/miniboss), and some requires you to turn in a certain amount of dragonquest items. At the end of the quest you will receive a moderate amount of exp and a little bit of spirit to go with it as well as one dragon order which, when you can amass a large amount, can be traded in for rewards like rare mounts, molds, etc. (stuff usually cost like 50 dragon orders or more...)

This process is very time consuming and costly due to the amount of teleporting you will be doing. Its better in my opinion to spend that time to kill mobs and get more dragonquest items, which will result in you having more money/exp.

The only dragonquest I would suggest doing is the first one which unlocks the others, at lvl 20 you should get a quest from some guy who loves dragon in achosaur.

The items you will need to do it are...5 blunt claws, 5 honeydews, 5 elemental fragments, and 5 intact purses

This way, if later you have nothing better to do and are well off financially, you have the option to do higher lvl dragonquests.

When you get your lvl 29 cultivation quest done, you will receive the crazy stone daily quest which always gives you 20% no matter what level you are. They give you about as much as the dragon quest does, another reason why not to do the dragonquest. Daily quests costs about 2.5k and around 8k when you get to 4X(because of the gem shards you have to buy from merchant) and 10-15 min of your time only.
  • stancliff#1034
    stancliff#1034 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I would probably ignore doing the dragon quests early on, mainly because most people tend to be lacking a lot of money early on for some reason.
    This process is very time consuming and costly due to the amount of teleporting you will be doing. Its better in my opinion to spend that time to kill mobs and get more dragon quest items, which will result in you having more money/exp.

The only dragon quest I would suggest doing is the first one which unlocks the others, at lvl 20 you should get a quest from some guy who loves dragon in achosaur.

The items you will need to do it are...5 blunt claws, 5 honeydews, 5 elemental fragments, and 5 intact purses

This way, if later you have nothing better to do and are well off financially, you have the option to do higher lvl dragonquests.

When you get your lvl 29 cultivation quest done, you will receive the crazy stone daily quest which always gives you 20% no matter what level you are. They give you about as much as the dragon quest does, another reason why not to do the dragonquest. Daily quests costs about 2.5k and around 8k when you get to 4X(because of the gem shards you have to buy from merchant) and 10-15 min of your time only.
    a) I've tended to have almost 200k around lv 20-25, then it goes back down and I'm strapped for cash.

b) It IS time consuming to travel around most of the map, but by lv 30 you can fly, so it costs time more than money. There is a good argument for selling all quest items in personal store for x3 face value and getting rich, but DQ's do give enough exp to make up for what you commonly lose by dying. The crazy stone quest IS an equalizer so you don't HAVE to grind mobs for exp, just for drops to sell or use.

c) I pursue all the dragon quests, but don't go too far out of my way to visit people. If I need something, I try to grind for it, if I am near a contact person, I will swing by. A quest may be dormant several days before I meet the conditions for the next stage. The only thing I've done with these so far is to use 10 copper medals to get a mold for a belt. I'm currently using the belt, but it will be too low level VERY soon at which point I will mail it to my lower level char to use.

d) Since the stages are, by definition, random, this list is meaningless. When you play, note that the items needed for the first dragon quest are listed as lv 31, not lv 21. I can only speculate why this hasn't been changed.

e) I can't fault this sentiment. Do them when you can afford the time and cost.

f) My observation is that the exp from crazy stones is fixed per tier. When you first get the quest it is worth about 20%, but as you gain levels the constant exp is a lower percentage of total needed. You are bumped to 2nd tier when it gets somewhere between 12 and 15%. My lv 55 char is 2nd tier and the exp gained is currently 15%. I expect to go to 3rd tier in just a few levels... probably lv 60 or so. Note that this isn't proven, just opinion for now.

Crazy stones really makes up for the shift in available quests that starts around lv 45. There are less quests, and maybe half of them are major boss fights that take time to prepare for.
  • Scias - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    stonecleft wrote: »
    a) I've tended to have almost 200k around lv 20-25, then it goes back down and I'm strapped for cash.

b) It IS time consuming to travel around most of the map, but by lv 30 you can fly, so it costs time more than money. There is a good argument for selling all quest items in personal store for x3 face value and getting rich, but DQ's do give enough exp to make up for what you commonly lose by dying. The crazy stone quest IS an equalizer so you don't HAVE to grind mobs for exp, just for drops to sell or use.

c) I pursue all the dragon quests, but don't go too far out of my way to visit people. If I need something, I try to grind for it, if I am near a contact person, I will swing by. A quest may be dormant several days before I meet the conditions for the next stage. The only thing I've done with these so far is to use 10 copper medals to get a mold for a belt. I'm currently using the belt, but it will be too low level VERY soon at which point I will mail it to my lower level char to use.

d) Since the stages are, by definition, random, this list is meaningless. When you play, note that the items needed for the first dragon quest are listed as lv 31, not lv 21. I can only speculate why this hasn't been changed.

e) I can't fault this sentiment. Do them when you can afford the time and cost.

f) My observation is that the exp from crazy stones is fixed per tier. When you first get the quest it is worth about 20%, but as you gain levels the constant exp is a lower percentage of total needed. You are bumped to 2nd tier when it gets somewhere between 12 and 15%. My lv 55 char is 2nd tier and the exp gained is currently 15%. I expect to go to 3rd tier in just a few levels... probably lv 60 or so. Note that this isn't proven, just opinion for now.

Crazy stones really makes up for the shift in available quests that starts around lv 45. There are less quests, and maybe half of them are major boss fights that take time to prepare for.

For d) I said this is just for the dragonquest that unlocks the dragonquests, the quest is similiar to what you do in a dragonquest, but unlike dragonquests, this quest shows up in your quest finder. The list of items is not meaningless...cause well those are the items you need to finish it, and yes although they are lvl 31 dragonquest items you can start getting them around lvl 20-25. After you finish the quest, the dragonquest director will give you the option of doing dragonquests. Here is all the different dragonquests.

http://1perfectworld.com/quests_in/index.php/Quests/Level20DragonQuest

For b) I rarely find people who try to sell dragonquest items at x3 the value and succeed. Hell most can't even sell at x2 the value, most of the time I see their shop up for most of the day and they sell 1-10 at most, and that is probably only because some regular quests require dq items and those people rather not waste time hunting them down. If you want to do overnight afk shops thats fine I suppose, but thats a waste of irl electric bill money so yea it would make more sense to just spend real money, buy some CS gold and sell 1 gold at the usual 100k in auction house. (1 gold = 1 dollar btw)

For f) info on the daily quest and the different tiers.

http://1perfectworld.com/quests_in/index.php/Quests/CirculateQuests

Thanks goes out to 1PerfectWorld b:pleased
  • henryy
    edited January 2009
    Hm...interesting, i'll look into all of these. The dragon quests dosn't sound all that apealing to me, so i think i'll skip those till level 30+ or so when i have around 400k+. Since the quests get less later on in levels, i guess i'll be training more, getting more DQ items ^_^
  • LuckySpell - Heavens Tear
    LuckySpell - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    oh, and should i keep on doing the quests or just train? Which will end up with more DQ items or more coins?
  • LuckySpell - Heavens Tear
    LuckySpell - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i'm henryy just to make things clear