what are good alternative veno pets besides the legenadary?

Xdmghyper - Lost City
Xdmghyper - Lost City Posts: 207 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Hi, i can't afford the legendary pets so im asking for an advice on good small / medium size physical tanks, i dont want anything big like the golems, apes and such. i also dont care about skills, only care that its stats are good. any advice is welcome. b:victoryb:thanks
Post edited by Xdmghyper - Lost City on

Comments

• Unconquered - Lost City
    Unconquered - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    a polar bear?
  • rogan
    rogan Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Decent tanks other then golems are overclocked mechcrab, scorpions aren't too bad either
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The dodo bear and the frog make good tanks.

Other than that unfortunately its the golems.
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I've never played a veno, but before introduction of herc/phoenix, a lot of my veno friends used the shaodu(sp?) cub to tank magical mobs, the kowlin to pull fast moving mobs, or the golem to tank phys mobs.

So I guess I (hopefully) helped you out with 2 suggestions, as it is obvious from your post you don't like golems.
  • imnotachick
    imnotachick Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Jaden qingfu(lvl 1 beetle outside lost city)

Mines lvl 54 right now

HP 1816 Phy att 908

Phy res 4638 Mag res 3925

Dmg 1117 Evade 621

I'd pick this if i were you,its shaping up to be an awesome little tank.
  • Malefox - Sanctuary
    Malefox - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It's worth noting that very few mobs after level 60 use purely physical attacks, so mag def is important, even for a mainly physical tank.

I caught a level 2 beetle outside lost (only because it looked cuter than the Jaden Qingfu):

Level 70 (My GF's beetle, she's outlevelled me...)

HP 2333 Phy att 1273

Phy res 6016 Mag res 5553

Dmg 1435 Evade 877 (Dmg seems to be "accuracy", judging by PW MY EN stats)

Atk rate 0.80/sec (Golems are 0.6 I believe, so beetles hit more often)

The only slight downside is speed, 6.3 m/s but there again, the golem is probably slower, depending on which one you caught.

Expect to spend a couple of million adding and upgrading skills or you'll keep stealing aggro which can be unpleasant, especially with archer mobs.
    Beetle enthusiast and physical defense stone addict
  • Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Hmm well if you don't want the magmites then your next best bet for a tank would be the qingfu beetles. I personally use a magmite but there are a few players that have caught different beetles and say they make great tanks.

For air... you really don't have much to choose from. The best air pet is the petite saw fly. How ever this guy is by no means a tank... it's pdef and mdef are pretty bad. If you want Foxwings are a bit more durable (not as squishy as the bugs) and if I remember correctly the earliest foxwing you can catch is one outside hidden orchid at lvl 34.

As for water... get yourself a turtle. The stats graph for the lvl 8 turtles and lvl 21 turtles is the same but the lvl 8 turtle will have slightly better stats at lvl 21 when compared to the lvl 21 turtle. The lvl 8 turtle only knows bash while the lvl 21 has an extra skill. The lvl 8 turtles come in 2 flavors... Riptide and Shallow Whir... depends which city you catch yours and the lvl 21 turtle is the Mutant Whirler. (I think I got the names right... always have trouble remembering which is which lol). When you are high lvl enough (80ish) you need to tame yourself a Celestial Fish... that's the best water pet, period (plus it's a cute little seahorse so that's a bonus).

Now as for the rare pets... you don't necessarily need to buy them. Yes they are a fortune and there are pro tamers that go to these spawns to catch these pets only to sell to the less experienced players... but you do have a chance. Start with the Snow Hare. That has a one hour spawn rate so it's very easy to just stay in the spawn spot until you see the spawn time. And then just practice your taming on that little guy. If you catch one great! He's a great pet, has good magic and pdef. When you got the hang of "competitive taming" try finding a spot for a pet you want and then you need to camp out the times (unless you manage to beat the spawn time out of another veno... very unlikely but who knows, it mig
  • Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    bah ok it's won't let me edit... where it says rare/legendary... meant just rare

Now on the rares, piggy is great for air in tanking, frog is best for magic tanking, shadou cub is good for physical tanking and stunning, and kowlin is a preferred pet for TW and TT runs