can a barbarian aoe?

Options
mightyknight
mightyknight Posts: 2 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Barbarian
in my past mmo games, i like to aoe so, can a barbarian aoe well? if so, then what lvl can i start aoeing?
homeless people will eat ur face.b:shocked
Post edited by mightyknight on

Comments

• Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    As a matter of fact, I think we're an AoE themed class. You get your first AoE attack, Swell, at level 13. And I agree, AoE is awesome! b:victory
  • mightyknight
    edited December 2008
    Options
    is swell a great aoe? also, does it have a huge cooldown? should max it or not?
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Options
    It doesn't have a huge cooldown. Doesn't have very good range, I don't think. It's up to you, wait for a higher level to reply.
  • Arravis - Lost City
    Arravis - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Barbarians do not actually have the most aoes. If you enjoy aoeing, pick the blademaster class and play as an axe-wielder.

Barbarians have only a few good ones, the three main ones being at level 39 and 59. The swell move isn't all that good, it does little dmg and has a small area range, but it is helpful due to our lack of consistent dmg aoes. The level 39 slam is amazing; good dmg and a large push back. It's fast and has a 360 degree range, so it's good to level up.

At level 59, we get sunder, which requires two sparks, and can only be done in tiger form, but it's good for it's regeneration effect.

The other level 59 aoe is arguably the strongest in the game - Perdition. You simply use two sparks, reduce your HP and MP to half, and convert all that into damage. High hp on a barbarian = major wipeout.

Overall, we are okay aoers, but we are a bit better off picking on single targets because of our fast channeling.
  • Liras - Lost City
    Liras - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Ok and the dumbest question of the day: What the heck is aoe?

Sorry but im new. b:victory
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Area of Effect. AoE is attacks that effect more than one enemy.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Barbs aren't really all that well into AOE. Arravis mentioned the three good ones we have. Others arent so good.
    Problem is at those levels, you will have five-six other more useful skills that you will want to level up before you even consider leveling up the AOEs (all my AOEs are at lvl1).
    At higher levels SP becomes a problem. Especially with each skill costing like 86000SP and 50000gold (no joke there).
    So you will need to prioritize which skills you want and which can wait. AOEs for the most part need to wait, but it doesn't hurt too much getting a lvl1 of those skills.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • mightyknight
    edited December 2008
    Options
    so, if i wanna aoe as a barb, will i be at least fairly good? because in other mmo's i LOVE bein the tank while still lovin aoe.
  • mecurial
    mecurial Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The other level 59 aoe is arguably the strongest in the game - Perdition. You simply use two sparks, reduce your HP and MP to half,

Perdition consumes all sparks , not only 2 (btw you wil get 3 sparks after hell or heaven cultv)
    ~~~~la la la~~~~~~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mightyknight
    edited December 2008
    Options
    with the lvl 39 aoe can i solo well?
  • ElMieda - Heavens Tear
    ElMieda - Heavens Tear Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    with the lvl 39 aoe can i solo well?

Not really. The main problem is that you truly only have 2 consistent AoE's which you can use (Swell;lvl 13 and Slam;lvl 39 skill), both of which have an 8 second cooldown.

You could get the lvl 39 tiger form surf impact(which also has an 8 second cooldown), but it seems rather annoying to switch back and forth between forms.

Anyway, if you really want to AoE do an axe blademaster( Or even a spear blademaster; 3 AoE's) as Arravis said. They have 4 AoE's.
  • mightyknight
    edited January 2009
    Options
    nah, ill just stick to WB and get what i have.
  • Unconquered - Lost City
    Unconquered - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Not really a good AOE class, I tried aoe'ing and it was pain because most aoe's have only a fan-like frontal range

barb aoes :

HUMAN
    1. Billow (frontal)
    2. Firestorm (frontal) << takes 1 spark.
    3. Slam (AOE+ knockback)
    4. Perdition (AOE+ takes 50% HP and MP) << takes 2 sparks with 30 second cooldown.

Tiger
    1. Surf Impact (frontal)
    2. Sunder (AOE + Leech HP) << takes 2 sparks and a 30 sec cooldown.

You're not going to want to keep switching between human and tiger, its a pain.
    You'd wanna stick to human form since it has the most AOE's, the problem is they're really bad at cycling because of cooldowns or spark-usage. You can't spam firestorm or perdition, they'd need a combined 3 sparks and a couple thousand HP/MP. That leaves you with Billow and Slam.

Billow has frontal AOE only so you have to position yourself in front of all the mobs before using it just so you can hit all of them, then Slam afterwards makes all the mobs get pushed back and scattered again. Cycling those two is the biggest pain in the a$$, and you actually go faster 1v1'ing mobs.

The only time you should even considering AOE'ing is with a group.
    Axe warrior + barb + cleric is fine. The mobs die quick enough so the barb doesn't have to worry about cooldowns, the P. Attack buff helps the warrior, the cleric just flies in the air and heals.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Just wanted to add that in the party case, you're gonna be wanting to also use two different AOEs, Frighten and Talk is cheap. Both with a 12m radius, but they don't do any dmg though.
    Talk to draw the mobs to atk you, so the cleric doesn't have to switch from you to Bm back to you. Frighten to reduce the atk of the mobs.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842