Full mag Vs Light armor

_Blackjack_ - Lost City
_Blackjack_ - Lost City Posts: 59 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Wizard
I'm currently going full mag partly because I didn't read any guides before starting and partly because I thought the damage would be better. Should I change over to light or should I stay on my robes? If I should change how many levels would it take to get to be able to wear the light armor for my level?

Off topic, do any of you know if my cleric friend should be light or robes?
Post edited by _Blackjack_ - Lost City on

Comments

• ivitheman
    ivitheman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Light build is mainly to save you in PvP, so yes, change it.
    Sami protiv svih.
  • _Blackjack_ - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    ivitheman wrote: »
    Light build is mainly to save you in PvP, so yes, change it.
    For who, my cleric friend or me, also what is the damage difference between a full mag mage at endgame and a LA mage at endgame?
  • Mohkano - Sanctuary
    Mohkano - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I read that the difference in damage in PvE is like 10%.

Also, from what I gather, arcane armor is preferred for clerics so that they can maximize their HP and SP, and also in dungeons and such, they're mostly going to be getting hit with ranged magic if anything.
    For PvP, it might be a little different though, I don't know.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I read that the difference in damage in PvE is like 10%.

Also, from what I gather, arcane armor is preferred for clerics so that they can maximize their HP and SP, and also in dungeons and such, they're mostly going to be getting hit with ranged magic if anything.
    For PvP, it might be a little different though, I don't know.

LA = Mages
    Robe = Clerics

Clerics add Vit to their robes to make their builds viable for hp, and plume shell covers their lack of physical defense.

Mages go LA because they have this wonderful spell that's called Earth Barrier, which ups their physical defense by 100%, otherwise it just wouldn't be worth it.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2009
    LA = Mages
    Robe = Clerics

Clerics add Vit to their robes to make their builds viable for hp, and plume shell covers their lack of physical defense.

Mages go LA because they have this wonderful spell that's called Earth Barrier, which ups their physical defense by 100%, otherwise it just wouldn't be worth it.
    Well yeah, I know about Earth Barrier b:sad I'm level 44. Also, If its 10% less damage that I do, how much less damage do I take?
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    Well yeah, I know about Earth Barrier b:sad I'm level 44. Also, If its 10% less damage that I do, how much less damage do I take?

Idk how much damage it is exactly, but let's just say WBs and WRs of my level average 300-500 damage hits.

btw, 10% damage in pvp is nothing when you compare to being dead and dealing no damage :>
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    its actually about the same in pvp... was a 32 dmg per hit less on average.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    All of this depends on what you want and where you're going.

I've been from Vit, to pure, to light armour, and to pure again... I've noticed that between light armour and robes, there really isn't a best choice. Pures in their midgame will deal about 2k more damage per spell in PvE, which equates to 400 PvP damage. However, they give up lots of survivablility.

During lategame(9x), a Wizard will deal about 3k more PvE damage, which is 750 more PvP damage. An endgame(100) Wizard should be dealing about 4k more damage in PvE, which is 1k more in PvP. This is for all spells, as the only thing that changes with Pure mag is the Magic Attack factor in magic spells. All spells have the same factor.

But, survivability may not be an issue. If you're a sniper-PKer, and don't mind dying to ambushes, then you should definitely be pure. If you want mass PvP, then pure is also the best choice as you should hopefully be in the back lines. Though, this might change if you're a leading member in a TW, where you'd have to see all the action.

However, if you want to take hits, and don't mind having a hard time taking opponents down, then you should be light armour. Light armoured people will need a sutra or double-spark to kill, but you will be able to survive much better due to enhanced hp and defence.

In the end, for a Wizard I would say Pure is best. If you're a Wizard, your playing style should be ninja/sniper. If you want to be able to take hits and deal good damage, you should very simply reroll Archer. Or Venomancer, if you can afford a pet god, er, phoenix.

As for your cleric friend, he should be a hybrid if he doesn't plan on spending much money on the game. If he plans on spending a lil bit, then I would suggest Light Armour. Either way, a Cleric needs to be kept alive to keep others alive... being a pure mag Cleric would not be recommended.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • Envy - Lost City
    Envy - Lost City Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Pure Int = TW

Pk = light armor
  • Cubyrop - Lost City
    Cubyrop - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I was arcane build as well, but I was having a hard time soloing some quest mobs, I'd have to get help, so I went light. Its working out well for me, I'm much more independent, I haven't done so much pvp yet, but I imagine my build will help save me.
  • smalltitan
    smalltitan Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I dont know if this is true, but imo high level LA mages make damage almostly base on critical hit at late game. Imagination that at 90+, you got a ton of % Crits, which comes from 3 Magic Mastery (if you go for Hell Mage), from Blessing, Crit Arrow, and from Dex. stats (which you must have if you want to wear LA, around 80 Dex = 4% Crit), and from equipments also...
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    Well, I'm a lv 43 Light Armor Wizard, and with just a level 2 sandstorm, did a crit over 9k... thats better then a lv 60 pure dex archer I knows crit record...

(both of us using Hens as the target)

Even with that, I am convinced that with a more then half **** weapon, a LA wizard can be highly potent.

http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20090106144944nv9.png
  • Tritoryo - Lost City
    Tritoryo - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    streaker wrote: »
    Well, I'm a lv 43 Light Armor Wizard, and with just a level 2 sandstorm, did a crit over 9k... thats better then a lv 60 pure dex archer I knows crit record...

(both of us using Hens as the target)

Even with that, I am convinced that with a more then half **** weapon, a LA wizard can be highly potent.

http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=20090106144944nv9.png

Lol i thought you performed serious test on that until i read that u tried them on chicken ROFL!
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    i said it was it was done on hens... and so was my archer friend crit... her crit was 8.3k... and she was pure dex with a level 1 deadly shot.

EDIT: the reason we used chickens is because i see it as the only mob it would be fair... well, coulda used puppies but that would be morally wrong =P

(Didnt want to go hit a lv 6X mob)
    edited January 2009
    Geez this is all very inconclusive. Some people say I should use light armor for pking some say it sucks for pking, some say you do a ton less damage with light some say its not very much. Make up your minds people b:angry
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    shoulda made a poll, lol
    edited January 2009
    and now I will
  • Mohkano - Sanctuary
    Mohkano - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think that in regards to PvP and PKing,

Robes are preferential if you're going to PK someone who does not realize your presence and you need a good constant damage without relying on a crit.

LA is preferential for PKing when the other person is aware of you, or you're going to try to spike them with a crit. LA is better for PvP in general as well.
  • Tritoryo - Lost City
    Tritoryo - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    streaker wrote: »
    i said it was it was done on hens... and so was my archer friend crit... her crit was 8.3k... and she was pure dex with a level 1 deadly shot.

EDIT: the reason we used chickens is because i see it as the only mob it would be fair... well, coulda used puppies but that would be morally wrong =P

(Didnt want to go hit a lv 6X mob)

LOL I wish i c more ppl using hens and puppies as target practice... We need more people like you...
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    theres actually a few ppl ive seen with screenies that use horses :\
  • ShadowDrag - Lost City
    ShadowDrag - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm currently going full mag partly because I didn't read any guides before starting and partly because I thought the damage would be better. Should I change over to light or should I stay on my robes? If I should change how many levels would it take to get to be able to wear the light armor for my level?

Off topic, do any of you know if my cleric friend should be light or robes?
    ok, ive tryed changing to light armor and it kinda sucks compared to pure mage, it hits way lower and doest have that much more phy def. and i dont agree that the pure mages r not for pk, im a lv 60 pure and i pk fine, 1-3 hit kills on ur same lv - bms,venos,clrics with no bufss and other mages. **note** sneak up on them. and i only kill red names because then ur wont be infamose and random pking is really annoying when ur the only getting killed, so there is no point in that. and if u wana lv up, pick a pure mage cause light mage will hit about 2k less on mobs.

**bottom line** is that pure mages are better (my opinon) and that pure mages can still pk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    LA is for pvp.
    Don't go LA for PvE.
    Yes, you hit about 1-2k less on mobs, but you aren't a one shot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • streaker
    edited January 2009
    ok, ive tryed changing to light armor and it kinda sucks compared to pure mage, it hits way lower and doest have that much more phy def. and i dont agree that the pure mages r not for pk, im a lv 60 pure and i pk fine, 1-3 hit kills on ur same lv - bms,venos,clrics with no bufss and other mages. **note** sneak up on them. and i only kill red names because then ur wont be infamose and random pking is really annoying when ur the only getting killed, so there is no point in that. and if u wana lv up, pick a pure mage cause light mage will hit about 2k less on mobs.

**bottom line** is that pure mages are better (my opinon) and that pure mages can still pk

The way I see it, I rolled LA at level 30, Can't miss the damage you never had. I'm level 45, and can grind level 52 sharks. and in PvP... lol... Im taking out mid 50s of all classes, and the ONLY problem I have is vs axe BMs, but i give that a few more levels, and a couple more skills before that problem is solved
  • Maurox - Lost City
    Maurox - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I changed to LA in part . The good thing is : u have more phydef . The bad thing is : it has like 10 % less elemental resistance :( .
    _-+*Maurox*+-_
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XxArchmagexX - Dreamweaver
    XxArchmagexX - Dreamweaver Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    All depends on your definition of a good build. All builds have their pros and cons but this is may interest you...

LA: Means more phiscal defence but u may have trouble with pure wiz because you will both use magical attack and they wil have much more resistance to it.

Pure (full int): Means a very fragile build that must avoid phisical damage at all costs, but it will give u the most powerfull attacks in the game, u may be owned at low and mid lvls but after lvl80 things may change. It seems that (when u are 90+) u can kill any class in 2 or 3 shots and dont worry of phisical deff just max distance shrink.Consider pure build as an investment, u suck at the begining but will laugh at the end.

If u dont believe me watch videos of high lvl wiz on youtube, i saw a wiz fighting with a barb ,a cleric and an archer all at the same time and she WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!b:victory
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Three posts and three necros. It's nice that you want to debate the finer points of being a wizard but check the last post date before you post.b:bye

necro
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    XxArchmagexX stop it!
    now you making me mad hamster~ b:angryb:angry
    SPOONS~ get over here~
    (>.<)'

*also me beat a level 79 barb in a duel at level 68.*
    =D
    *dance dance*
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    D:<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.