New Wizard Build Idea... Need Opinions

xdarksolx
xdarksolx Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Wizard
From most guides I've read, crits allow mages to one-shot their most feared opponents. Thus, I've been working on a build called the "Crit Mage."

This may or may not be a new idea, but on paper it seems to work...

The idea is to add 1 str every two levels, 3 dex, and 6 mag.

End result at level 100:

Str: 50(Wears Robes.)

Dex: 150(7% crit rate, with good gear soars to around 20%.)

Mag:(Same as LA build. 200-ish less damage than Pure Mag, according to Pandora's guide.)

Vit:5

The benefit to this is mainly the 1/5 chance at one-shotting, but it also has an interesting side effect: evasion. Coupled with Sandstorms accuracy reduction, this may make a mage a hard target to hit...

I plan on testing this on my current mage, but if anyone has done this or has an opinion to give, please do.

I think this mage may be a bit more viable at least that a pure mag, though it may or may not be as useful as a LA mage. Experience will tell, I guess.
Post edited by xdarksolx on

Comments

• Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    You get too little evasion per DEX point, I think it's something around 3~5.

150 * 3~5 = 450~750 evasion.

You won't really be dodging anything with that, specially at 7x+ levels.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Not worth staying robe in a build like this. You have to remember each dex is only 1/20th of a crit - it's not worth the trade for the pdef that light armor offers. The difference would be 2-3% crit at most.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    Tailynne - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Not worth staying robe in a build like this. You have to remember each dex is only 1/20th of a crit - it's not worth the trade for the pdef that light armor offers. The difference would be 2-3% crit at most.

Wouldn't making this a LA build take away EVEN more from the wiz's mag?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cheer up little chappy, take your face off my boot
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Wouldn't making this a LA build take away EVEN more from the wiz's mag?
    Mag:(Same as LA build. 200-ish less damage than Pure Mag, according to Pandora's guide.)

They have the same magic stat...

This guy's idea is that instead of going light armor, he goes robe and uses the extra missing str he'd use for light into more dex to get another couple of crit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    If you're leaving dex at 150, that's 7% crit. A light armor at level 100 would require 104 dex, meaning they'd have 5% crit. Like Pandora said, is 2% really worth that tradeoff? If you're going to invest in dex for crit, you might as well go with light armor for the added defence, since your hp is going to be pretty low anyway, assuming you're going for all crit gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xdarksolx
    xdarksolx Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Alright... So the benefits of LA outweigh the benefits of this build...

2% Extra crit is not worth the fragility...

Alright, I'm gonna stick with LA, then. Just thought I'd throw this out there. Thanks for the replies!
  • Plarzay - Sanctuary
    Plarzay - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It looks like a good Idea but as stated LA is obviously better. Good to see someone taking the time to come up with it and throw it out there though, I like that :).
    I Can do magic me! b:laugh
  • Hidden - Lost City
    Hidden - Lost City Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i was considering something similar to this, but all things considered 5% extra critical isnt that much of a difference when u already get 10% from items.

magic/100 is the base multiplier for wizards dmg. so when u consider an int mage with around 400 magic, compared to yours with 300 magic, is that % crit worth 25% less dmg? if going LA, the answer is possibly yes, but in robes its an obvious no.

However with evasion, u are onto something which i plan to test once i hit 90, but it'll be done with purely items and not dex.
This discussion has been closed.