Light Botting Punishment

Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear
Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I have recently learned that the punishment for first time botters is a mere 3 day ban. I was just wondering if the public thinks that's fair or not? Weeks or months of potential botting could be done and a 3 day ban seems to be ineffective as a punishment. I see that as something like a $100 dollar fine to someone who has robbed a bank and also allowing that person to keep the money he stole. I personally think that botters should be banned for at least a month on first offence and permanently for second.
Post edited by Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Some_guy - Heavens Tear
    Some_guy - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I think even your punishment is light. They should be banned on the first offense permanently. Done deal.
  • howdositfeel
    howdositfeel Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i must agree that they should be banned the first time someone botts and gets nailed doing it . Blizzard is not so kind to players that break policy. but then again this is not blizz. and a 3day ban will do.. but it should not be a 3 day . it should be for good.what taked an average player to achieve in 2 months it taked a bot. 2 weeks..lol..
    hahaha.. so my vote goes to ban for good.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC] b:bye
  • Defected - Heavens Tear
    Defected - Heavens Tear Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It seems as if the benefit of the doubt is given at first. It would be best for PWI to thoroughly investigate such claims so that the falsely accused are not punished. I can see that a 3 day ban may help give PWI time for such an investigation. Is that why the ban limit is so short?

Or maybe botting isn't such a big deal.

A wise man once said:
    "Three-day suspensions may also be incurred without an initial warning depending on the severity of the infraction." I think Ben Franklin said that.

But think about it, has botting really hurt anyone? It's not like it gives a player a chance to Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service to gain an unfair advantage over other players.

In the end, PWE is thinking about what is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Changed my mind. Permanently Retired - Only here to troll.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It seems as if the benefit of the doubt is given at first. It would be best for PWI to thoroughly investigate such claims so that the falsely accused are not punished.
    QFT.

I'd do a week on first offense, a month on second, permaban on third. But I dunno how fast the GMs get to these guys, so permaban on second might be better. Eh. *shrug*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Some_guy - Heavens Tear
    Some_guy - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    It seems as if the benefit of the doubt is given at first. It would be best for PWI to thoroughly investigate such claims so that the falsely accused are not punished. I can see that a 3 day ban may help give PWI time for such an investigation. Is that why the ban limit is so short?

Or maybe botting isn't such a big deal.

A wise man once said:
    "Three-day suspensions may also be incurred without an initial warning depending on the severity of the infraction." I think Ben Franklin said that.

But think about it, has botting really hurt anyone? It's not like it gives a player a chance to Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service to gain an unfair advantage over other players.

In the end, PWE is thinking about what is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website.

Are u serious???? "botting isn't such a big deal." Thats bullcrap. Those are the words that a botter would say. Botting ruins EVERY game!!! Just look at Silkroad Online. Its so filled with bots that u cant even log in to the sever without paying for a login ticket. And its supposed to be a free game. Botting ruins the economy, it makes it unfair to the non-botters, im not even gonna go into the details but if u want go to -edited- and look up a guide on how botting ruins the game. Your words are the kind of words that destroys the game. I'm telling u, if botting gets out of hand in this game, im quitting mmorpgs. It takes a long time for a normal person to get to a high lvl, but the botter gets to a high lvl in just a few weeks. Then come the gold bots. The botters got no gold, because they never pick up their gold so they have to buy online gold from illegal websites. Then they make the bots and hand them out for free just to ruin the game. If I was a GM i would ban u permanently just for saying that. "wise man once said..." get out of here.
  • aryannamage
    aryannamage Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Some_guy please do not put links to other mmos on this forum.

As to the topic what would you guys think if you were falsely accused of botting and then perma banned straight away? The rules are about protecting the innocent just like in real life. Accusations of any Terms of Service violation, especially botting in a MMORPG, are not to be taken lightly. False accusations (and I've seen players falsely accused) can scare off new players, frighten inexperienced ones, or turn guildmate against guildmate.

Anything involving disciplinary actions are private matters. The game's live team are the only people who can do a thing about it, so they're they only people who need to know a thing about it.

Finally, if you want to ask PWE staff something, that's what the Support Ticketing function is for. In fact, and unsurprisingly, that's specifically codified in the rules : The forums are not the place for you to address your inquiry to PW Staff Members. Any and all inquiries should be made through our ticketing system.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.