Complaints about the Censor

Zethanal - Heavens Tear
Zethanal - Heavens Tear Posts: 237 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Suggestion Box
The Censor is going too far and its starting to **** me off. I hate it when it censors *** and Spic... WHATS WRONG WITH THOSE 2??? I mean seriously, you devs are just gonna fuss about this censor? How bout removing *** and spic... I cant say Japan or Spicy... -.- If you guys have something that is censored, post it here cos I can't take the censor anymore! :(

No comments like "Devs aint gonna do anything about it" or anything like that.
"Death is just a new path, a path everyone has to take." -Gandalf
Post edited by Zethanal - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Chadeaux - Heavens Tear
    Chadeaux - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Grasshopper is also censored b:cute
    "Knowledge speaks... Wisdom listens..."
    Noir ^;;^ moi[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zethanal - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    WITH? Thats messed up
  • Ident - Sanctuary
    Ident - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    fagy is also censored, it means in hungarian language: freeze
    fagylalt : ice-cream
    fagyi: -//-
    kifagy: freezed (PC)
    lefagy: -//-
  • bobzilla21
    bobzilla21 Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I noticed **** not being censored...but grasshopper is? that makes no sense at all.
    I figured I should do something with my sig, so I made this for fun. My very first (poorly made) animation. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for why Luffy is murdering Naruto, I have no idea either, but it looks cool.b:laugh
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    Tailynne - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    At least you're not on my sever, so I don't have to listen to your racial spam on WC, but for reals... you can't see why those two are censored? It's because racism is bad for your health.

I agree with your beef, if it's just that anything starting with j-a-p, or s-p-i-c, because that's at least a few annoying words to have blocked ... but on their own?

Grasshopper.... wuh?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cheer up little chappy, take your face off my boot
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Please do not bypass the word filter.

The first word is still considered quite offensive, enough to earn protest when used in international talks, and enough for most modern dictionaries to list if as offensive or derogatory. There's a reason most Japanese region codes are jpn, ja, or even jp rather than that word.

It's varied rather highly based on region and time period. You won't see much recognition of it as offensive in Hong Kong or France, and a lot of north easterners in the United States probably won't encounter the phrase as often as you might in, say, California or Texas. Before WWII, it usually wasn't said offensive, and there have been more than a few places that have needed to have the name changed as time and trends passed.

After WWII... well, a lot of people took slogans aimed at a system of government and opponents in a war, and instead aimed those same slogans at fellow civilian individuals. It's not pretty.

The second word is still used rather often in a derogatory manner against some individuals of hispanic descent (mostly Mexican or South American) across most of the United States, and in rarer cases among English-speaking countries in Europe (can include Mexican, South American, or some Spanish-speaking islanders). In some cases, it's even been included under the 'fighting words' exception to the First Amendment protection for free speech, although the laws doing so tend to be overbroad enough to raise Constitutional issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zethanal - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    Please do not bypass the word filter.

The first word is still considered quite offensive, enough to earn protest when used in international talks, and enough for most modern dictionaries to list if as offensive or derogatory. There's a reason most Japanese region codes are jpn, ja, or even jp rather than that word.

It's varied rather highly based on region and time period. You won't see much recognition of it as offensive in Hong Kong or France, and a lot of north easterners in the United States probably won't encounter the phrase as often as you might in, say, California or Texas. Before WWII, it usually wasn't said offensive, and there have been more than a few places that have needed to have the name changed as time and trends passed.

After WWII... well, a lot of people took slogans aimed at a system of government and opponents in a war, and instead aimed those same slogans at fellow civilian individuals. It's not pretty.

The second word is still used rather often in a derogatory manner against some individuals of hispanic descent (mostly Mexican or South American) across most of the United States, and in rarer cases among English-speaking countries in Europe (can include Mexican, South American, or some Spanish-speaking islanders). In some cases, it's even been included under the 'fighting words' exception to the First Amendment protection for free speech, although the laws doing so tend to be overbroad enough to raise Constitutional issue.

I totally disagree with everything you say. *** simply means people who are from Japan and it also means a person from the land east of China. I find it unnecessary to filter that. This game is not only all up to you but it is all up to us as well. WE are the people who are playing this, WE are the ones who is on your game for our money. WE can quit this game if this filter system doesn't improve. Its not even raciest at all.
  • HgS - Sanctuary
    HgS - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I can see why "J*p" (not trying to bypass the filter, just need to clarify what I'm talking about) is a censored word, but you should consider reworking the way that the chat filter blocks things.

I wouldn't have any problem with not being able to say that, however, we can also not say "Japan" or "Japanese" or anything of that sort, and those are clearly not offensive or derogatory words in any way. Those words are bound to come up when you have a congregation of nerds, so filtering them is a little silly.
    It would be nice if you could filter the derogatory word, but make exceptions for more common and benign words.

Also, I noticed that a derogatory word for Italians was not censored.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I totally disagree with everything you say. *** simply means people who are from Japan and it also means a person from the land east of China. I find it unnecessary to filter that. This game is not only all up to you but it is all up to us as well. WE are the people who are playing this, WE are the ones who is on your game for our money. WE can quit this game if this filter system doesn't improve. Its not even raciest at all.

No. *** carries a negative connotation. I agree that a lot of people use it as a way to write out japan or japanese faster, but jpn is the same amount of letters, and is more accepted.

Honestly, if not being able to say a few words that other people find offensive makes you want to quit this game, stfu and gtfo.

However, I do agree that not being able to write out japanese is a bit annoying at times, but really, how often does that come up in conversation.

asshopper is just silly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XBaelx - Lost City
    XBaelx - Lost City Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    **** or ji.sm is also censored lol
  • Ocane_II - Heavens Tear
    Ocane_II - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i do think the filter system should be changed a bit, for one i think you should be allowd to say whatever in faction chat that shouldnt be too much of an issue, but the only thing that bothers me is how its constructed, it shouldnt focus on different words because parts of it could be used individually as a " bad " word
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]