Extraction Errors?

myrrhtree
myrrhtree Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Support Desk
Hi. I dowloaded the entire file for Perfect World using CrossOver Games (I'm running a brand new Macbook). I tried to extract it (like you guys told me to) and it gives me this error in a 7-Tip: Diagnostic messages window:

Can not open file 'Z:\%MYDOCS%\Dowloads\Perfect_World_International.exe'as archive

I've sent in a ticket, but I figured I'd post on Forums too, in hopes of getting my questions answered.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by myrrhtree on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    We don't offer any kind of support for running the game through emulation. We do not officially support it.

You will get more of a response from the Mods or other members of the community who have experience setting up Macs to run PWI by posting here.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • myrrhtree
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for letting me know. Are there any plans to release Perfect World for play on a Mac?
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm unaware of any plans to release Perfect World International (or any translations) for Mac OS X. There would be big advantages to making Perfect World International available for Mac OS X and Linux, and TransGaming's gotten surprisingly good, but there's still some major reliabilty issues bringing any DirectX game out of a Windows Operating System, and non-Windows gamers are not a big group.

My first recomendation would be to verify your download. Ryuuzaki has an unofficial but very fast method for fixing corrupt files.

His Alternative Method for Corrupt Files using Direct Download (with a quick tweak for the changes to the installer and Mac OS X) can save you a lot of time :
    Rename the Perfect World International.exe file to Perfect_World_International.exe

Download a bit torrent program, such as uTorrent.
    Download the torrent controller and open it with your torrent program.

You should then be asked where you want to save the file. Browse to the directory where the original Perfect World International.exe file is located (should be my Documents\Downloads), and click OK. The torrent program should then start checking the integrity of the file and correct any corrupted files. You can also alt-click on the file in the download area, and select Force Re-check to make extra sure.

If the recheck goes through acceptably and the issue persists, please try using EZ-7z on the .exe file. It's possible the extractor is using more Windows-oriented code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • myrrhtree
    edited January 2009
    gattsuru wrote: »
    I'm unaware of any plans to release Perfect World International (or any translations) for Mac OS X. There would be big advantages to making Perfect World International available for Mac OS X and Linux, and TransGaming's gotten surprisingly good, but there's still some major reliabilty issues bringing any DirectX game out of a Windows Operating System, and non-Windows gamers are not a big group.

My first recomendation would be to verify your download. Ryuuzaki has an unofficial but very fast method for fixing corrupt files.

His Alternative Method for Corrupt Files using Direct Download (with a quick tweak for the changes to the installer and Mac OS X) can save you a lot of time :

If the recheck goes through acceptably and the issue persists, please try using EZ-7z on the .exe file. It's possible the extractor is using more Windows-oriented code.

Thank you! I received the .exe file named as Perfect_World_International.exe already, so that can't be the only problem. I'll try both the uTorrent method and the EZ-7z method, hopefully one of those will work. The worst case scenario for me would be having to re-download the whole file, I want to avoid that at all costs because it took me a good 24 hours.

I think it would be wonderful if Mac users could easily play this game. The best free-to-play game we can easily play that I know of is PlaneShift, and not to badmouth them (it IS pretty fun) but it's still in development, and gamers like me would like a high-quality game to play like Perfect World that is reliable. I understand it'd be hard to make it available for Mac users, but you'd probably gain a healthy amount of players from it.

Thank you again! I'll post again if the problem persists.

Edit: I checked the file I'd already downloaded using EZ 7z and the problem persists, so I'm trying the other method (using uTorrent).
This discussion has been closed.