Difference between Swords and Blades and Dual?

xingl
xingl Posts: 9 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Blademaster
Hi,
I was wondering, what's the difference between the Duals and Single swords?

As far as I can tell, the dual swords are superior, more dmg and attacks faster than the single swords.

What gives?
Post edited by xingl on

Comments

• Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Dual blades/swords are slower then single versions. the Speed is not how fast they attack, but rather number of attacks per second. So single swords attack 1.11 times every 1 second, while dual swords attack 0.91 times per second. In truth tho, for overall DPS, single/dual blade/sword is only graphical flair. If you do a damage per second calculation on each weapon, which is to take the [(minimum attack+maximum attack)/2 * Speed] you'd find for the white version of each weapon the overall average DPS just increases a little as the level required for the weapon increases. So while there is a little individual flair for each weapon; blade will have a lower minimum but higher maximum for a wider damage range, and swords while have a tighter damage range (this might be backwards, i'm an axe weilder so i dont remember which is blade & which is sword), and the dual weapon version of each do more damage per attack but attack slower. In the end, its just a slowly climbing ladder for overall Damage per Second.
  • deciett
    deciett Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    You're spot on slyph. Duals are slower with higher base damage to compensate, making them superior for skill usage by a long shot.

This is why duals are the preferred end game weapon of the physical classes. The skill-spam DPS is considerably higher.

Look at it like this. A weapon has its damage balanced around its attack speed. Lets say (some random numbers here) that a level 13 weapon can have at most 50 dps.

If the sword attacks 1.11 times per second, each hit must deal about 45 damage (50 damage dealt divided by 1.11 attacks in one second).

If the dual axes deal the same damage (the axes in reality would require higher level and thus have more dps allocated to them, but for the sake of math, invent some level 13 dual axes =P) per second, they would be dealing an average hit of around 55. Now, that's a damage per hit difference of 10 points, which while sounding small, isnt quite so small when you use one of the end-game abilities. Keep in mind that this is a percentage, and that means that the axe will deal about 22% more damage per hit (on average), at all levels of equipment. This is simply because of speed.

The comparison stops there really. Keep this in mind though. Slow = amazing specials. That is how it always will be. That is why archers use xbows, why BMs use duals, and why WBs use dual axes.
  • xingl
    xingl Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.