Seriously?

CutiePup - Sanctuary
CutiePup - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
edited January 2009 in The Fanatics Forum
Is this really what we want to teach to the younger generation? b:scorn

whatthefg2.png

I may be taking this too seriously, but it's just something that caught my eye...
Post edited by CutiePup - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Malcuid - Sanctuary
    Malcuid - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I dont see what is wrong with that.
    It is true
    So you beter make the best of your life
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    It's wrong on so many levels! b:infuriated
  • Malcuid - Sanctuary
    Malcuid - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    then please explain me why because I really don't see it
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    How would you feel if you had a kid running around playing some game that's telling them everyone dies at some point? x.x
  • d3mos
    d3mos Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Then you sit with the kid and tell him why the game is telling him that.
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    <.< You two are cruel.
  • d3mos
    d3mos Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    This is my opinion, i

Edit: Cut my
    text don
  • stewie222
    stewie222 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Give me a break!
    You're saying it's cruel to be honest with kids?

Ignorance is bliss; but its also .. well ... ignorant!
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    No, it's cruel to tell your kid that everyone will eventually die. Don't twist my words.
  • Nevdemo - Sanctuary
    Nevdemo - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    No, it's cruel to tell your kid that everyone will eventually die. Don't twist my words.

Reality is cruel, that's why people like MMORPG's!

Anyways, I don't see the big deal. Pick any children's series / book / wathever, and some character will die at some point.
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Reality is cruel, that's why people like MMORPG's!

Anyways, I don't see the big deal. Pick any children's series / book / wathever, and some character will die at some point.

But at least those books don't tell you "Hey kids, dying is perfectly natural - everyone goes through it!" The only part that makes the sentence the slightest optimistic is "Enjoy your life."
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    The following is personal opinion, and does not reflect the opinions or stances of Perfect World Entertainment or PWE staff.

This game is intended for those over the age of 18, or those over the age of 13 with parental notification. Given those age groups, I'm not sure this is particularly gruesome, especially compared to movies (Great Mouse Detective, Watership Down, every Disney film where everyone knows the villain is going to die by falling in the final act) or books (anything by Roald Dahl, The Giver) aimed at those age groups.

As assessments go, it's also pretty accurate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evermyst - Sanctuary
    Evermyst - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    It's not cruel to tell a kid that people die. What's cruel is telling them something like "he's just taking a long nap" which would make them think a person who's died is coming back.
    Kids have to learn about death. I was four when my grandpa died and I understood it because my parents explained it to me. I really don't see what's wrong with telling a child about death...

Besides, what really little kid is playing this game? I haven't talked to anyone under the age of thirteen...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proud leader of the RaynDown faction

RaynDown
    Chaos Rayns Down

Join Today!!
  • Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    For kids, there is a MASSIVE difference between knowing the villain is going to "die" and realising that they are going to die some day. >.>

Anyway, kids or no kids, there's still no reason to have a snowman say something so depressing at freaking Christmas. You planning to have the snowmen say "One less year till you die" on New Year's? -.-
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • Evermyst - Sanctuary
    Evermyst - Sanctuary Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well, I do agree that it was depressing for Christmastime. That much is totally true, lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Proud leader of the RaynDown faction

RaynDown
    Chaos Rayns Down

Join Today!!
  • Seyto - Heavens Tear
    Seyto - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I noticed that too, i just didn't think anyone else cared! D;
  • lydia138
    lydia138 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    u think thats bad..
    possiblelegaladvantageex0.jpg
  • Tailynne - Lost City
    Tailynne - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited December 2008

I think that your rancor has less to do with the literal meaning of the words?

No honesty with kids isn't a bad idea (I told my kids right off that Santa wasn't real in the sense everyone is making him, story based off a real person, yadda yadda), but you have to choose when and how it's done.

I'm just guessing here, but I think your problem with the phrase has more to do with that phrase engendering a spirit of your life is short and when it's done it's done, which philosophy sort of leads naturally into "there are no consequences." Also, though, this isn't being said to a young children, not that teens aren't impressionable, but it's not telling a 5 year old "Hey, you're gonna die sometime, so drink up!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cheer up little chappy, take your face off my boot
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    I said younger generation. You can fit children in there if you like, but a 13 year old is still a kid, regardless. I also think the last thing they want to be reminded of is that they're going to die someday, especially around Christmas time...
  • Icy Ragnarok - Sanctuary
    Icy Ragnarok - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    As to the previous poster who mentioned this;
    "Ignorance is bliss" it's

Ignorance is bliss, where folly is wise.

That being said, this is one of those wise moments. It really should not have been said =/.
    Or the child should have just missed it completely...
  • Decadent - Lost City
    Decadent - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I said younger generation. You can fit children in there if you like, but a 13 year old is still a kid, regardless. I also think the last thing they want to be reminded of is that they're going to die someday, especially around Christmas time...

Are you kidding me? are you actually that much of a carebe.... oh wait.. you play on sanctuary.
    My bad.
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Are you kidding me? are you actually that much of a carebe.... oh wait.. you play on sanctuary.
    My bad.

You basically withdrew your statement about me being a carebear...but, just to make you happy, I am a carebear. Who cares? Obviously you, so I guess that makes you a carebear, too.

So yeah, back on topic...I really think that was a poor choice of words for Christmas time.
  • Serjah - Heavens Tear
    Serjah - Heavens Tear Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    it's a fail translation of Carpe Diem

OR

the snowmen are emo
    A patch full of glitch,
    Makes my eyes twitch.
    Should i continue playing this game or switch,
    because this is a serious problem and not a simple itch.
    Some bug abusing noob gets rich,
    While a honest players get the ditch.
    Please rollback if you wanna enrich,
    or this game would just be a ****

by xtrm9
  • rugal
    rugal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Hey I agree there's no point to put that here. It is depressing to think about death, at least for most people out there. So what if it's true? It's not something you want to hear. Like if the snowman said: unlike pets in perfect world, your cherished puppy will be buried in 10 years. True? Yea. Depressing as hell? You betcha.
  • Cat - Heavens Tear
    Cat - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Bottom line if your kid isnt mature enough, or intelligent enough to understand death and its ramifications, Then they have no business being on a mmorpg. period.

If fact the game would be 200% better if parents payed more attention to their kids instead of using the internet as a babysitter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada

Didn't anyone tell you that you wanted to sleep with me?!?! I thought you knew....
  • Chadeaux - Heavens Tear
    Chadeaux - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    It is just like saying

Live each day to the fullest

I did not see it as depressing at all.
    "Knowledge speaks... Wisdom listens..."
    Noir ^;;^ moi[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rugal
    rugal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yea but see thats not all it's saying. It's more like -One day you'll be buried in the dirt with worms eating your corpse, but have fun for now.
  • Ormenelle - Heavens Tear
    Ormenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    On the other hand, the Snowman tell you that after you KILLED it !
    YOU ASSASSIN !
    MONSTER !

Muahaha.

More seriously, explaining gently death to your kids is the right thing to do. I have seen too many crisis when the kiddoes finally understood that not only death was inevitable and definitive, but furthermore that their parents are liards. If you lie about something so important in life, how can they trust you for anything else you said ?

Now, on the other part of the question that is " is talking about death a good idea on christmas ", well, I grant you that it's a certain mood-killer and could have been avoided. Along with killing sentient snowmen.

In fact, making them utterly silent would be a wondrous idea, because they're becoming as anoying as Duke during Samain that was shouting ceaselessly " LET IT BE KNOWN THAT SOME RANDOM GUY WON SOME RANDOM PRIZE !! ".

Please.

Make them shut.
  • CutiePup - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    It is just like saying

Live each day to the fullest

I did not see it as depressing at all.

But why not "Live each day to the fullest?" Why does it have to be "Enjoy your life, because everyone dies in the end?" It's so depressing and hardly the right thing to tell your kids at an early age. I mean, I wouldn't tell them they were Superman but I sure wouldn't tell them "You might as well get the most out of your life, because you're going to die someday."
  • Chadeaux - Heavens Tear
    Chadeaux - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    nuf said.

And again I will reiterate what has been said - 'kids at an early age' should not be playing this game.
    "Knowledge speaks... Wisdom listens..."
    Noir ^;;^ moi[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]