Need Gameplay advice for Support Cleric

Oishasan - Sanctuary
Oishasan - Sanctuary Posts: 217 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Cleric
What I'm looking for is the tricks supports clerics have used to level up.

From my experience so far,
I have sat around for what seems like days, soloing the occasional mob, and spamming in /say for a squad invite 'support cleric'

Nothing.

Not to mention this game on the grinding level is all about who KSes who. I make a list of names of individuals and their factions who KS me and others that I have seen, and have run out of paper (I'm actually serious).

So essentially, my alt (this was supposed to be my main) has more than doubled in level over me (veno), and gets group invites like it was going out of style.
Mainly because I clear then hold a camp, and people always come up, try and take the camp, when fail, immediately try and invite me (sorry, too busy writing your name and faction down on the list of fools to PK in TW)

just a bit of a rant there, but what's the secret to getting groups as a support cleric? I see the need for them spammed constantly, but the only clerics I see are those trying to KS folk (FACs)
Oishasan
Light Armor build, Support Cleric

Kenmei
Barbarian, feral build

amale
Arcane Veno
Beetle Wrangler
Post edited by Oishasan - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Chloe - Heavens Tear
    Chloe - Heavens Tear Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm a support cleric and have no problem killing things. Monsters don't get near me most of the time and if they do I use ironheart on myself and I'm set. I put plume shot and cyclone as high as I can get them and the rest of my spirit and money is only on my heals and buffs. I have 20 vit, 30 str and rest on magic. Adding vit as I go.

I really don't see the need for a squad. When I'm in one though you see me sit in the back spamming heals on everyone because thats what I like to do.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    I have no problem killing things, but the time it takes and the downtime is really horrible.
    Being in a group is where the class shines obviously, just wondering what is the best route to go about it, hang-outs, etc..
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I guess for Veno, the lvling strat may be pretty different.

For me, up until now the Lv40s, I spammed quests and I mean tons of them. During the quest that had "kill xxx mobs", I practically soloed all the way just so I can keep the exp and drops to myself, and did not go in a squad unless the other person invited.(invite was rare for me too) Just those got me the lvls(solo exp+reward exp) extremely quick at least until 39 or so. (I would accept 15-20 quests at a time)
    As for the downtime for HP and MP, the drops that I got from hours of solo made up for it, got a crapload of meds that I couldnt even use up fast enough. Just also pick up every money that drops and harvest every weed you see and youll get another surplus from making apothecary items.
    That was my experience up until now, it was pretty easy going without the squads.

After Lv40 the number of quests dropped drastically so I might have to find a different way to lvl. At the moment Im still trying solo exp which is not THAT bad, just a tad slower than the times I had multiple quests.

Also I wouldnt worry too much about KS's during that lvl. Competition is high on mobs sometimes and alot of times you lag. Its no surprise if 5 pple hit the same mob 3 times in a row. I myself had a hard time canceling out a macro once it accidentally turned into a KS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Kelebek - Sanctuary
    Kelebek - Sanctuary Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Never had a problem killing stuff, and still don't. A lot of elites I do need help with though, ones that other classes can solo.

But 60+ you make enough money for charms to pay themselves off, so that helps a lot.
  • ZadirZex - Lost City
    ZadirZex - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    First off, Veno's definitely level a lot easier than Clerics. My girlfriend and I leveled up together. She was a veno and I was a cleric. Veno's spells do almost as much damage as a full int cleric, but their pet more than makes up the difference in damage. Veno's also have a pet to tank for them, so they take less damage and they don't have to waste time/mana self healing. Also later on, they get a skill that switches health/mana bars. Whenever she'd get low on mana, she'd use the skill, her health would be low, her mana max. I just heal her and she'd have both bars full. Meanwhile I have to go meditate for 3 min to get my mana maxed....

That said, I had no trouble leveling my support cleric. Always make sure you keep plume shot and cyclone maxed for your level. Go with a full int build. 9 mag, 1 str every 2 levels. There's a lot of debate on the forums over full int vs vitality builds. Full int definitely levels a lot faster as you get more mana and kill quicker, so go full int for a while. You can always restat to a vitality build later if you want to PvP/TW.

My advice to you to speed up your leveling is ... buy spirit charms! My mistake in leveling my cleric was I decided I wanted to do the Dragon Quests, so I saved all my DQ items for use there. BIG MISTAKE! Sell all of the DQ items you get and buy Spirit Charms! You can get a bronze one for 80-85k these days. In the time in takes you to fly all over the map to do a DQ, you can stand in 1 place grinding air mobs and make more exp and a ton more cash in the same amount of time.

I didn't catch on to this until my mid 50's, but it has drastically sped up my leveling. By grinding, I make enough money to buy skills, a gold spirit charm every time one of mine runs out and a bunch of experience scrolls, plus have some money left over.

You're still lower level, so definitely do all of your quests first, but as you level, quests alone won't be enough to get you to the next level. To finish your level after your quests, just grind air monsters. This will get you all the money you need to keep getting yourself charms. With charms, clerics can kill just as fast, if not faster than veno's.
  • Keyne - Heavens Tear
    Keyne - Heavens Tear Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Quests, Quests, and more Quests. They get you lots of EXP and fast. Dont forget to do the Crazy Stone Quest in Arcosaur. That quests is a daily repeatable and it gets you roughly 25% through your level. You also need to do those quests for the Rep points. This is important inorder to get some pretty kool armor later on. I dont have to group much with these quests because, even as a Hybrid FSC, I can solo the mobs easily. Usually you will see clerics and other classes working on the same quests. If they dont invite you, invite them. Take charge. Eventually you will make friends and have no trouble getting a party together to work on quests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xtonyx - Heavens Tear
    Xtonyx - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    if your really having trouble as you say getting groups, killing, etc...
    ---find a good guild---
    they can help you or let you in groups that u need u can help in guild fb runs, all that good stuff. Thats some good exp and yes as stated before crazy stone later on is a must-do once the quests run short with the exp.

also you should level plume shot and cyclone even if your support, because those are your 2 main attack skills for any type of cleric. they will help you for soloing when group seeking runs dry. Good things for clerics to grind on for leveling are flying magic mobs. Preferably poison.
    -easy kills and not much damage if you have good purify (later on your gonna need it at least at lvl 7+)
    and later on down the road don't worry about squad finding problems. Clerics are looked for on the clock for high level squads (zhen TT high level fbs etc)

-my final words are tough it out, get plume and cyclone up, find a good friendly guild (dont be afraid to look around) grind on poison or magic flying mobs and enjoy the cleric class-b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~sig by Saitada, a total badass b:laugh
  • Kusaku - Lost City
    Kusaku - Lost City Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Guilds r good

Whats weird is taht u are on sanctuary semms kinda weird that u wouldnt help each other

i can understand the problem with getting help on lost city but most people seem to prefere to kill each other on lost city

but yes i would join a guild u will get alot of help there from people ur own lvl
    So for my bad spelling ^^
    CUTE THINGS ><
    Dieing with style and skill since 1989

Frav Qoute :
    "Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."
  • Campbell - Lost City
    Campbell - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I have never had a problem finding help on LC. I constantly get invited to random squads and everytime I ask for help with a boss I get it within a few minutes. As far as leveling, do quest they are by far more rewarding and less tedious. That said I can only vouch till level 40, I find myself grinding alot more now because my quest are alot more time consuming and less rewarding. I hate grinding but, sometimes its your only option. As a cleric Vipons are really easy to grind. Even if your 8-9 levels below the mob.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Sanctuary is a KS-fest at these levels.

Only people getting invites are those that can kill faster.

Thus my veno is almost double my level, and having to shrug off squad invites every 5 minutes. She allows me to make the mistakes I can't afford to make on the cleric.

Support cleric is very slow going, when I have the patience and get to 30 with him, crazy stone will help immensely.

But yeah, for the most part Sanctuary players are not well represented yet. Just the really horrible ones, those that are probably forced out of end game (for obvious reasons).
    And finding a good guild isn't really an option, for 90% of the guilds I have seen at these levels are part of the problem, and I really don't need my name dragged down with them.
    Patience I know will be the key, the good guilds are high level to join, plus character and rep of your toon, so I am in no hurry to ruin it.

Give full credit to those Support clerics that went before me, kudos.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Some people do not listen to common talk. The game can turn that off for you if you select some other chat tab.

If you turn on your slogan, that can help you get into squads.

You might also try sending some invites, yourself. If they do not want to, try inviting a different person. If you can not invite them, you could try whispering and asking to join their squad.
  • Oishasan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Thanks,
    I'll try the slogan thing, next time I am playing.

Not sure why folk would take off common talk,
    though I wish there was a way to get rid of world chat in common chat.
    Oishasan

Kenmei
    Barbarian, feral build

amale
    Arcane Veno
    Beetle Wrangler
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    People might deliberately turn off common chat when they were talking with their squad or faction in west archosaur. (For example!)

Also, if you do not want world chat, you can reconfigure another chat however you like.

Personally, I have trade configured without world or trade, but with all other chats, for when I do not want to deal with gold chat. I choose trade because I am such a poor haggler -- I always want to give things away. I just have to remember to replace that initial $ with !! or !~ or /Name (or nothing) before I type my message.