Question about Light Armor Builds?

Ghazi - Heavens Tear
Ghazi - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Wizard
What is the main benefit of a Light Armor Wizard? Is it the extra boost in pDef or is it the boost in criticals?

I was wondering if it would be plausible to go 0.5 STR / 1.5 DEX / 3 MAG every level. This would make for the same damage as a Light Armor Wizard with about 3% more criticals at level 91.

But would the 3% more criticals make up for the lack of damage? (compared to what a Robe user would normally put out.)
Post edited by Ghazi - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• krwilson
    krwilson Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    This may sound silly, but i'm not exactly sure how you're calculating the whole '.5' when allocating stats. regardless, there's no options for compromise. 1str, 1dex and 3int have to be added each level in order to even equip light armors. (the int is for the weapon requirements)

As for the advantages or being light armor? Both. Increased critical rate and p-def both come with having a light armor build.

The damage sacraficed as opposed to being pure int. is next to nothing when comparable to high levels, as ive been told, although i can't attest to this myself. Someone else will have to have some input here.
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Just double his numbers and it should make sense to you KR. (1 STR, 3 Dex, 6 Mag every 2 levels)

As to the OP, there are 2 huge bonuses to going that path, and your proposed build is missing one of them.

1) Criticals. The one you picked up on.

In PvP TWs, Barbarians have tons of HP, always have a HP charm, have impossibly high Pdef, and pull catapults, which are the only weapons that can win the battle. This means that only clerics, venos, and wizards have a shot at doing serious damage to a barb. There are only 2 ways to kill a barb effectively: A veno purges their buffs (HP drops a ton when tiger form is gone), a wizard seals them (to prevent them from turtling), and then the veno and wizard throw spells at them, hoping to kill them between heiro ticks. Or a wizard can get their crit up (dex, crit arrow, +2% crit rings) and have a 10%+ chance at 1-shotting a barb (especially with undine strike)

2) Pdef. Wizards have one of the best PvP defensive skills in the game, stone barrier. At L10, this doubles the amount of Pdef you have. As any wizard can attest to, archers take us out quickly in PvP, having more range than us, plus quick firing high damage physical attacks. Instead of boosting our HP through vitality, light armor wizards raise their pdef to insanely high levels. Self buffed, a light armor wizard can break 50-60% pdef, which is a life saver against archers or rushing BMs. Group buffed with BM and cleric buffs, I have heard of some wizards approaching 70% physical resistance.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Just double his numbers and it should make sense to you KR. (1 STR, 3 Dex, 6 Mag every 2 levels)

As to the OP, there are 2 huge bonuses to going that path, and your proposed build is missing one of them.

In PvP TWs, Barbarians have tons of HP, always have a HP charm, have impossibly high Pdef, and pull catapults, which are the only weapons that can win the battle. This means that only clerics, venos, and wizards have a shot at doing serious damage to a barb. There are only 2 ways to kill a barb effectively: A veno purges their buffs (HP drops a ton when tiger form is gone), a wizard seals them (to prevent them from turtling), and then the veno and wizard throw spells at them, hoping to kill them between heiro ticks. Or a wizard can get their crit up (dex, crit arrow, +2% crit rings) and have a 10%+ chance at 1-shotting a barb (especially with undine strike)

2) Pdef. Wizards have one of the best PvP defensive skills in the game, stone barrier. At L10, this doubles the amount of Pdef you have. As any wizard can attest to, archers take us out quickly in PvP, having more range than us, plus quick firing high damage physical attacks. Instead of boosting our HP through vitality, light armor wizards raise their pdef to insanely high levels. Self buffed, a light armor wizard can break 50-60% pdef, which is a life saver against archers or rushing BMs. Group buffed with BM and cleric buffs, I have heard of some wizards approaching 70% physical resistance.

I'm light armor, 53% reduction selfbuffed and my gear is HORRIBLE. Really bad gear. Also, I wear mdef neck and belt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Melodia - Lost City
    Melodia - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    That's wierd Pandora. It might be because I'm lower level, but I have 42% and I still wear lvl 5x robes.

BTW, the earth barrier only affects EQ Def and the mods it comes with, and stats from STR and VIT. Vit only adds 1pdef for every 3 I think for us. Not the Gems or any outside source.
    Originally Posted by Pandora - Lost City:
    Please understand that as full int, all an archer has to do is target you and roll his face on the keyboard and you are dead.

Words of Wisdom.
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Melodia, that is wrong. SB does affect gems, I have tested it personally.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Stone Barrier effects pdef gems. Or rather, pdef gems effect stone barrier.

And Melodia, that's because you're wearing pdef necklaces and belts, and you've likely thrown pdef stones into your armor. On the other hand, I have no +pres mods on any of my armor except boots, everything I focus on is +hp, and I use all +hp stones as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • galdoras
    galdoras Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008

Have a question???? My wizard is in lvl 40 and i want to build it with light armor, what atributes i must lvl up????? Cause i want to make a good one!!!!!
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Stone Barrier effects pdef gems. Or rather, pdef gems effect stone barrier.

And Melodia, that's because you're wearing pdef necklaces and belts, and you've likely thrown pdef stones into your armor. On the other hand, I have no +pres mods on any of my armor except boots, everything I focus on is +hp, and I use all +hp stones as well.

Actually that is incorrect, I've already said it too many times I suppose you just like to go into denial whenever I say it. Robes will get you 40-45% defense with stone barrier only and with HP stones all in gear. Sadly the percent reduction in physical reduction is not much higher LA vs robes when fully buffed.
  • Agnostic - Heavens Tear
    Agnostic - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Actually that is incorrect, I've already said it too many times I suppose you just like to go into denial whenever I say it. Robes will get you 40-45% defense with stone barrier only and with HP stones all in gear. Sadly the percent reduction in physical reduction is not much higher LA vs robes when fully buffed.

How are you enjoying Sage? :)
  • Aryastark - Lost City
    Aryastark - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    So i started a wiz and i origianly went for LA build. Is there really a significant difference in damage between LA and full int? or am i just fretting about nothing? I plan on doing lots of pvp so i want what will be best for that and i figured it would be LA but if im not going to 1 hit somone till lvl 90 becouse i went LA instead of full int i want to know now instead of when im lvl 30! thanks
  • Crimzaelus - Sanctuary
    Crimzaelus - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm also wondering, I'm a lv43 wiz (pure-int)
    But I'm planning to switch over right now.
    I already started switchin my stats around.

If I switch to LA, is that better for TW??
    I want to TW more than PvP (unless PvP=TW)
    Haha
This discussion has been closed.