Rare pets - Travesties

sarrafeline
sarrafeline Posts: 152 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Venomancer
It's become apparent on world chat, and now with my own eyes, that there are people in the game on Sanctuary server at least, that are NOT venomancers, whom are deliberatley going around and killing rare pets. I just watched a BM kill a Cuddly Pup which I was going to attempt to tame, I want to make an all class Puppy for a friend.

So far, the Shaodu Cub is selling for 800k Plus because it's not a rare pet anymore, it's ultra rare. I've watched as rare pets, which were once easy to buy for 350k at a pet shop (cat store) by the teleport master in West Arch, have skyrocketed in price. And nobody can tame them when some dumb lvl 60 BM greifer comes along and wants to off it anyway.

So, what can we do about this? It was **** having to spend the better part of a million coins on a shaodu cub, but well worth it. it's also really frusterating knowing that other classes have this power over the venomancer class.

Ideas, thoughts?
Post edited by sarrafeline on

Comments

• kwyl
    kwyl Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    All they have to do is shorten the spawn rates or increase the number spawned. Easy fix.
  • AppleBunny - Sanctuary
    AppleBunny - Sanctuary Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Simple fix.. report every incident.. Either the GMs will do something about it, or be buried with complaints.

I've already submitted a report about a certain shaodu cub spawn killer.

[edit]

I've recently found out that the following rare pets also have a chance to drop molds which means there is a viable reason for -any- character to kill them as they spawn. I personally look down upon such actions; however, you cannot deny them their right to farm for molds.

=Molds drop from:=
    Windwalking Piggy - lvl 30
    Cuddly Pup - lvl 40
    Kowlin - lvl 60
    Armored Bear - lvl 80
    Celestial Plumbfish(correct name?) - lvl 80
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    0.0014% chance? It's much easier to just kill regular monsters for that kind of chance XD People who purposefuly kill rare pets are just mean :/ Not necessarily rule breakers I don't think, but very mean.
  • MintJulip - Sanctuary
    MintJulip - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I personally liked the EQ method for rare spawns. They had a chance to spawn randomly if you killed their place holder. But, I guess this works too, for some. The only pet I am interested in atm is the Shadau cub, but, the last 4 times I have looked for it, it has been camped by the same person. No ill feeling really, I guess we all need more cash cakes in game, but damn, I would really like that cub to actually use LOL.

Oh well, if it were easy, how interesting would it really be?

It is a real bummer that people are killing certain rare spawns though, but, I hope you can't get someone in trouble for killing mobs. That is sorta what the game is about yes?
  • AppleBunny - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    0.0014% chance? It's much easier to just kill regular monsters for that kind of chance XD People who purposefuly kill rare pets are just mean :/ Not necessarily rule breakers I don't think, but very mean.

a chance is still a chance tho... even if they are just doing it to be mean/drive up prices.. all they have to do is claim to be farming for molds... at least for those..

Shaodu cub (no matter what some Venos want people to think) does not drop a mold. So killing the spawns to drive up prices for the 22 that she claims to already have is not protected by "mold farming" excuse.

I seriously suggest to just keep reporting them. If you don't know how, then all you have to do is choose the "Submit a Ticket" under the Support bar ^^
    It is a real bummer that people are killing certain rare spawns though, but, I hope you can't get someone in trouble for killing mobs. That is sorta what the game is about yes?

If these people are killing them just to drive up prices/prevent people from being able to tame on their own. Then yes by all means they should be getting in trouble for killing them. As Venomancers, we shouldn't be forced to buy a rare pet from somebody just because they are a higher level and keep killing them.
  • HaTorah - Heavens Tear
    HaTorah - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I don't even know why people would want to raise the prices anyways. Wouldn't you make more money selling more for a lower price then 1 for an extremely high price that no one can afford?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blindeyesniper
    blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I don't even know why people would want to raise the prices anyways. Wouldn't you make more money selling more for a lower price then 1 for an extremely high price that no one can afford?

Um.. because they can make more coin per each cub sold? If he has the only cubs available for sale, i'm sure he can set his own price. Someone WILL buy them if the person wants it enough simply because there are no other places to get a cub pet.
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    guys, some players are too damn lucky and 100% noob at the same time, **** happens... rare pets spawn near noobs who kill them, i saw a lot of this...
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Um.. because they can make more coin per each cub sold? If he has the only cubs available for sale, i'm sure he can set his own price. Someone WILL buy them if the person wants it enough simply because there are no other places to get a cub pet.

That only works until they run out of cub eggs to sell. Once they're out, they need to tame the cub again. And because they've been killing it, they now have maybe 3x as many venos at the spawn site competing with them for it. That means they'll have 1/3rd the chance to tame it, meaning on average they'll make 1/3rd the money.

If it were a one-shot deal (only gonna sell one egg, never gonna do it again), or a steady state problem (you always get one egg a week), then I would understand why they're killing it. It'd be a Prisoner's dilemma situation. But to maintain this as a business model, you constantly have to resupply yourself with rare pet eggs. Killing them just hurts yourself in the long run - it's like playing the prisoner's dilemma against your future self.

Artificial scarcity in economics only works if you have control of the supply (e.g. DeBeers and their diamond cartel). A farmer doesn't have control over the supply of cubs since they can't be guaranteed they'll tame it. So more basic economics prevail, and they would make more coin by selling at the market rate (lower price but more eggs).
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I've recently found out that the following rare pets also have a chance to drop molds

Almost all mobs have a chance to drop a mold, but a very slim one, same as those rare pets, at the same low % chances.

Never saw it happens, or heard it happened to anyone so far....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Almost all mobs have a chance to drop a mold, but a very slim one, same as those rare pets, at the same low % chances.

Never saw it happens, or heard it happened to anyone so far....

GM's are not going to do anything about this and I don't really blame them. Sure it's a jerky thing to do when someone kills the mob you want to tame. I agree 100% on that. But there is no rule anywhere that says it's against the rules to kill the rare pets, whether you are trying to tame or not. They are a spawned mob like everything else and are allowed to be killed by whoever. In some ways, I like that people are killing them, sure it's a downer sometimes for us venos who make money off of them, but at least they stay rare that way. Currently there is such an influx of lvl 9 frogs that the price has dropped to 200k on sanctuary. I was lucky enough to catch one when I was at level 9, and have raised it. It pains me to see its rarity decrease so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    Rosewhite - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    GM's are not going to do anything about this and I don't really blame them. Sure it's a jerky thing to do when someone kills the mob you want to tame. I agree 100% on that. But there is no rule anywhere that says it's against the rules to kill the rare pets, whether you are trying to tame or not. They are a spawned mob like everything else and are allowed to be killed by whoever. In some ways, I like that people are killing them, sure it's a downer sometimes for us venos who make money off of them, but at least they stay rare that way. Currently there is such an influx of lvl 9 frogs that the price has dropped to 200k on sanctuary. I was lucky enough to catch one when I was at level 9, and have raised it. It pains me to see its rarity decrease so much.

The problem that I have with this is that I've been trying to catch a kitty or shadou cub in order to use not sell. But when I go to the spawn place, I find that either someone just killed it or someone just tamed it. Not all venos are trying to sell these and I would rather spend my money on skills, armor and weapons rather for overpriced pets that only rich people can afford.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon...
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    The problem that I have with this is that I've been trying to catch a kitty or shadou cub in order to use not sell. But when I go to the spawn place, I find that either someone just killed it or someone just tamed it. Not all venos are trying to sell these and I would rather spend my money on skills, armor and weapons rather for overpriced pets that only rich people can afford.

It was mentioned in this thread that shaodu cubs were being purchased for 800k+ on sanctuary....I would never pay that much. I have purchased 3 of them over my play time so far and I have never once payed over 450k for one. That aside, I understand your frustration, but there's still nothing that can be done about it, what these players are doing is not against the rules. If you can't manage to catch one, for whatever reason, even if others are killing them, you will have to buy one. This factor spurs the economy on too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Darksylph - Heavens Tear
    Darksylph - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,816 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    That only works until they run out of cub eggs to sell. Once they're out, they need to tame the cub again. And because they've been killing it, they now have maybe 3x as many venos at the spawn site competing with them for it. That means they'll have 1/3rd the chance to tame it, meaning on average they'll make 1/3rd the money.

If it were a one-shot deal (only gonna sell one egg, never gonna do it again), or a steady state problem (you always get one egg a week), then I would understand why they're killing it. It'd be a Prisoner's dilemma situation. But to maintain this as a business model, you constantly have to resupply yourself with rare pet eggs. Killing them just hurts yourself in the long run - it's like playing the prisoner's dilemma against your future self.

Artificial scarcity in economics only works if you have control of the supply (e.g. DeBeers and their diamond cartel). A farmer doesn't have control over the supply of cubs since they can't be guaranteed they'll tame it. So more basic economics prevail, and they would make more coin by selling at the market rate (lower price but more eggs).

These types often do have source control. Ussually they have a Veno, with -30% channelling gear and lvl 7-10 tame. Basically these are the high level Venos that always win the tame fight because they can get it off quicker and a much higher success rate then the people who actually need the pet. Then when they have enough eggs, or are busy at another camping site for a different rare, they have the remainder killed off so others cant get it. These same veno's will often send a pet in to lower the HP while they tame, timed so that if their quicker tame fails, the pet will die before most normal people (without -% channelling gear) even have their tame go off. As such they have more control over the market price. On Heaven's Tear, Shaodu Cubs go for 1.2-1.5 mil, so expect prices to go higher Sanctuary.
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Then I'll just stick to the pets I have, I wont pay 800k for something that can be easily tamed. I'm having a hard enough time getting fruit without breaking down and paying for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sarrafeline
    sarrafeline Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    My problem isn't with venos killing them or with venos taming them and selling them for exuberant prices, it's with BM's and Barbs killing 24 of them in a row.

Just as kiting Ch'in into the middle of Anglers Village so he can kill everyone there isn't against the rules, neither is killing rare pets. But, it's still a form of griefing, and just the same, there's something we should be able to do about it, such as getting that person kicked from their faction (and banned from every other faction), or something similar.

I was wondering about the frogs situation, I saw some for sale for 250k. Did someone stockpile them then unload them all at once to drop the prices or what?

Gah, this is like a stock market just for venos or something. :p
  • blindeyesniper
    blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008

I'm gonna use common sense and not all this business terms and examples. Now if you see someone who constantly killing off rare pets camping at one spot, chances are, you will go to another spawn site. The veno that is cooperating with the rare pet killer then would have less competition, not more.

Yesterday, I saw a cub selling for past 1 mil in sanctuary. Not sure if anyone bought it though.
  • AppleBunny - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Okay guys, I suggest we take any of our problems to this other thread. This issue is also under discussion in the GD sections.

I suggest that we voice our opinions there. Let our voices be heard by one and all in a place where GMs will realize the problems a lot faster. xD

The reason I suggest this is because the report I filed got replied to with a link to the GD thread. ^^

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=135272
  • Ordain - Lost City
    Ordain - Lost City Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Lol, Are you guys serious?

God forbid a venomancer would have to actually work to get somewhere. They're killing your rare pets? Big deal, not like you can't farm HH to make money, Hell you guys make tons of cash just by grinding since you don't need hieros.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anonimouse
    anonimouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    While on the subject of rare pets, a peeve I have is people that camp every time they spawn.

Things that could be done:

Completely randomize when it appears two times in 24 hours, but at random times of day instead of a set time.
    Increase spawn rate to every 6 hours (or make it appear randomly some time between the 4th and 5th hours).
    Amaoni ( b:cute main - bunny veno b:cute ), chibiama, Ohanatsuki
  • Tsunuke - Sanctuary
    Tsunuke - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    That is the sort of system that is in place on Final Fantasy XI, and it's the exact reason why I started playing something different. Im in an end game shell there, and camping multiple mobs where you sit around waiting 1-3 hours for something to pop is insane and the biggest waste of anyones life. Theres even some mobs that have up to 72 hour windows, where they have the chance to spawn every 30 minutes. In that time youre spending waiting for something to pop, you could easily make enough gil and more to buy w/e it is youre trying to get while gaining exp. Square Enix supposedly put that system in place to lessen the amount of campers, but all it did was have players waste even more of their life on a game =/ Also, when you spend that much time trying to get something, even though you still have a lot of competition, the game gets old really fast. That would also just make prices go higher as fighting these mobs or getting the items from them become even more rare.
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008

God forbid a venomancer would have to actually work to get somewhere. They're killing your rare pets? Big deal, not like you can't farm HH to make money, Hell you guys make tons of cash just by grinding since you don't need hieros.

Do you have a veno or are you just talking out the side of your mouth? Its people like you that make me sick. Yes we can farm HH and we can make tons of cash by grinding and what the heck does hieros have to do with rare pets. The problem is that not all venos are 60+ and can farm HH or even like grinding for money.

Not to mention buying two sets of skills and keeping pets lvl at the same bloody time. Unless you have a solution or are a veno, get the hell out of our thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • graider
    graider Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yes, venos can make a ton of coin, but we also have to spend a ton of coin just to stay competative.

For a basic book to level up pet skills, it's 200k, and the cheapest skill book is 300k... I can barely make enough money to keep potions and buy my skills, much less buy things to improve my pets...
    Due to my bad connection, I can't even set up shop for any decent amount of time while I sleep. I have to rely on auctions for any decent amount of coin.

Killing the rare pets is an insult to the lower level venomancers.
    If the best defense is a good offense, why did I even show up?

If a train is going east at 50 mph and another train is going west at 90 mph, where do they...Never gonna give you up~ Never gonna let you down~Never gonna run around~and hurt you~

If you've got this far, you've been rick-rolled.
  • Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited December 2008

Oh look, another idiot shouting off about venos while knowing absolutely nothing about them. Yes, our pets take all the damage on the mob we're attacking meaning that in THEORY, a veno would never need a hiero. But if you'd even got a veno to level 20, you'd know about this new thing called "aggro", and if a mob nearby decides you look like a tasty treat, you have SECONDS to get your pet to switch targets and get aggro before it's killed you.

Yes, the life of a veno is sooooo easy.
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • Jordanfox - Heavens Tear
    Jordanfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Why's everyone always picking on us? b:sad I work hard for what I have.....

Anyways, I've never even tried to camp or tame a rare pet, it sounds so damned frustrating. I refuse to buy one, though, because I couldn't know if the seller is one of those that are manipulating the system.....so I guess I'm screwed. It'd be fun to give it try, but I think I'll just skip the stress for now. Maybe one day when I'm really bored.....
  • stephchichi
    stephchichi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    In malaysian server, all lvl20+ are entitled to PK without possibility to have shield. Which mean everybody can be PKed.
    Would stop all barbar and BM to stick around cub spawn area..
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    Renara - Heavens Tear Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    For PvE, at least, there are viable alternatives to rare pets. The ever-popular golem is a superb physical tank. The carapest terror is a good magic tank, as bobbeh pointed out here:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=122111

Petite sawflies make good air pets, and turtles and celestial plumpfish (the latter erroneously classified as rare in the auction house, but actually a normal monster with a quick respawn rate) are satisfactory water pets.

Some all-class pets can be made from non-rares, such as the elysium fowl and huggy hare. Check out the baby pet list here:

http://www.ecatomb.net/babypet.php?pw=pwi

For the venomancer who just wants something different to fill out her pet bag, how about one of those cute clockwork crabs that wind themselves up, near Angler's Village? Or a hot Petali Hexkiss? Or one of those headless horsemen in Swamp of the Wraiths? There are lots of fun non-rares.

Hope this helps!
    "Sorry, we don't need a barbarian. We have a frog."
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    There are ways to stop pet killers, you know... I found a lovely way myself, when I went to catch the Tabby Plumdrop.

First off, realize one thing. Alone, you are just one veno of many. Bring your faction mates and friends. If they have a veno, bring them along.

Next. We all have golems, or other large pets, right? If you have someone on the ground, just drop your huge pets on their head. They want to move? Set your pet to follow you and run around them. Set it to Manual for the time the rare pet does spawn. Have a few of your friends do the same. If you've been there enough, you know who the killers are. They take to the air? Fill the sky with Mantas, or your other aerogear. Sure, you may not be able to tame it. But, that's why you bring your friends. There was a veno, we all knew who she was, had the same tactic. Summon a sawfly, and nuke the Tabby. We did those tactics, and guess what? She didn't get to fire a single shot, and someone actually managed to catch it. Not my guild, but we were all happy.

And before anyone asks, yes we did catch it. 3 in fact. My director, and a marshal and executor have one tabby. And, as far as I know... We aren't going to bother the tabby again. Might some time in the future... But we aren't farmers. Not that I have a problem with those who are. Gotta make money, right? As long as you aren't there to kill it, I'm cool with you. b:pleased

Of course... The person who was shouting about how tired she was of never catching it and was going to kill it.... Learned her lesson hard. She was in PK Mode. So, I warned her away, and when she told me she didn't care what I said, I simply switched on PK Mode and nuked the **** out of her. Ironically, after she agreed not to kill the Tabby.... She ended up catching it...b:puzzled