Soloing Barb

Greatheart - Sanctuary
Greatheart - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
edited February 2009 in Barbarian
Hey, I had a question about skills when building a solo Barb. I know they aren't supposed to go solo but since no one ever groups in the low levels 1-30 I just wanted to make sure I had this straight. I went mostly STR and Mag, for my pwr pool. (Less down time) Some in Vitality and about 4 points in Dex. For soloing I wanted the most health and mana points, is this the correct set up or am I totally lost? Just started the game about 2 weeks ago so I'm kinda new. Any advice on my solo barb would be great.

Once again I know Barbs are a grouping class but I am choosing to go solo for now with him to see how he turns out. Please don't burn me on this. :) Much appreciated!

Greatheart
Post edited by Greatheart - Sanctuary on

Comments

• moymoy
    moymoy Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    solo barb huh??!!! well if u want u can be a battle humanoid barb.... just stick to humanoid skills and dont put any mag at all in ur stats... mag should only be 5!!!! thats why they sell mana pots for mana recovery.... in ur stats stick to str and vit.... at the high lvl... ur dex should only reach to 60+ im not sure whats the exact number for dex... but stick to str... and vit... but put a lot of str first.... and remeber solo type humanoid are better than solo type tigers.,... white tigers build of barb is just ultimate caster killer.... with ultimate tank type mode who will give u the meat shield defence.... like what i hav ryt now... when i was lvl 35 i think my life already reached 3805..... so.... if u want a solo type u should follow those stats... and skills.... or if u cant figur that out.. put 3str 1vit 1dex... each level.... aight thats all i can tell u... ^_^
  • XCloudStrife - Heavens Tear
    XCloudStrife - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    In my honest opinion, the tank-type barbarian is the best character all around (Barbarian build that is). This is because it's build is often a careful play between Vitality and Strength, with some dexterity tossed in.

Word of advice, and this goes for any BladeMaster you might play in the future. NEVER WASTE STAT POINTS ON MANA!!! It's essentially the most pointless thing to do. Notice that most of the barbarian's skills use a mediocre amount of Mana, and are more Chi heavy. Mana is pointless because a Tank Barbarian doesn't tend to need to defend magic attacks, that's where a well built Wizard of a Venomancer's pet might come in.

There's a good guide at this link:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=63271

I find to be one of the best builds for a barbarian the one which follows the basic mantra: "Enough Str and Dex for armor and weapons and everything else into Vit." This way, you can generally, immediately have access to the new Armor when you reach the next level, and are almost always prepared for the next weapon.

Soloing and Tanking can be one in the same if you do it right. I generally play in Tiger form because of the Defense and HP boost as well as the speed increase you get. The damage dealt is reduced, but there are still other upsides.

1) The Skill Alacrity of the Beast is one of the most entertaining ones. Many enemies with some magic ability have a tell-tale glow around them when they are casting. Using this skill, correctly timed, will cancel the cast and revert to them using physical attacks until they've cooled down; by which time they are either dead or Alacrity has recharged.

2) Spamming the hell out of Flesh Ream, like a tank would, while Beastial Rage activated can allow for more uses of this skill in the fight. Flesh Ream has a fairly useful bleed effect which will just add to the damage you're doing.

3)The lower Phys Atk. in Tiger Form (True Form) is balanced by the Higher defense and HP. Last longer in battle or obliterate the enemy quicker at the expense of your HP.

4)Tiger Form just looks sexy as all hell. Though it does get overdone when it is the only barbarian form. This is where another argument comes in.

So yeah, I hope this helped. And remember. NEVER PUT POINTS INTO MANA!!!! ... Ever... Leave the Magic spam to the Squishies. (Wizards, Clerics, Archers[Yea, I lumped them together with the magic users :-P] and the Venomancer, which has a high power potential.)
  • Kelovar - Heavens Tear
    Kelovar - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I agree with XCloudStrife. Look at DAI's guide first. But the things you want to know at first:
    - Humanoid is faster to kill mobs, but uses more pots; tiger is slower because of lowered damage, but uses much less pots. The choice is yours, just expect to pay much gold if you stick to humanoid.
    - If you choose tiger form to solo, you may wish to keep it at level 1. (lvl1: -20%ATK; lvl2: -35%ATK; lvl3: -50%ATK) Sure levelling it up makes you a better tank, but you'll kill mobs slower.
    - Always get enough STR and DEX to equip current level's weapons.
    - Keep your MAG at 5!!! Never waste points to increase mp; for most battles, you don't need much skills, and they have a low hp cost. Keep those extra points for VIT.

As for skills, the previous posts describes well common tiger skills, and humanoid ones are explained in DAI's guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Through the darkest of nights, we shall shine brightly, revealing the path to both friendship and glory ~
    Kelovar, Radiance executor

Thanks ForsakenX for the sig *_*
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Life powder

I dunno why the barbarian guide doesn't mention it, but this stuff is absolutely essential at lower levels if you want to solo. It's a tier I alchemy product so it's super-easy to make. It grants you 50 hp/sec regeneration for 10 minutes. You can mow through the mobs one after the other, instead of having to sit on your butt after every fight.
  • argetlambr
    argetlambr Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    lol i'm using the build 3 str 1 dex and 1 vit for lvl up faster,and even with a build that havent much pts onto vit i dont need to sit down avery time, the mostly of mobs just take out something like 1/5 or 1/4 from my HP and only at a little time that im runing to get other mob my hp recoverys nicely,and when i get low hp i just sit down some seconds and "voila" i have FULL HP again,and when i get at level 30 i will change my build for the vit build one,and i belive that my hp will recoverys supers faster =D
  • Reeperofevil - Sanctuary
    Reeperofevil - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I agree with XCloudStrife. Look at DAI's guide first. But the things you want to know at first:
    - Humanoid is faster to kill mobs, but uses more pots; tiger is slower because of lowered damage, but uses much less pots. The choice is yours, just expect to pay much gold if you stick to humanoid.
    - If you choose tiger form to solo, you may wish to keep it at level 1. (lvl1: -20%ATK; lvl2: -35%ATK; lvl3: -50%ATK) Sure levelling it up makes you a better tank, but you'll kill mobs slower.
    - Always get enough STR and DEX to equip current level's weapons.
    - Keep your MAG at 5!!! Never waste points to increase mp; for most battles, you don't need much skills, and they have a low hp cost. Keep those extra points for VIT.

As for skills, the previous posts describes well common tiger skills, and humanoid ones are explained in DAI's guide.
    Well...it may be true that your hp BAR doesn't go as low, but you certainly don't use less pots. In fact, you use more pots/charm, because while your hp bar goes down slower, you have more hp in the bar, meaning you have to use more pots and or charm. But I do agree, only get enough Str and Dex to use your weapons and armor. b:victory
  • Unconquered - Lost City
    Unconquered - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    actually, i would put as much into strength as possible if you're solo-ing lol.
    you kill a lot faster and survivability isnt a problem if you have HP Charms.
    the downside is you're not a tank barb and will have a harder time tanking bosses for parties, but who cares right ? since you're solo-ing through the game and all.

assuming you have charms ( which you should), strength is the way to go.
    vit is only for tanking and taking less dmg, 1v1ing mobs isnt exactly the hardest thing.
    Plus Hell barbs do full damage in tiger mode, none of that 50% dmg cut $hit so u can grindin in tiger all day if you want and enjoy that extra hp.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    You can also invite people. To keep me from writing too much of a "well, duh" type of a post: If you are solo and they are in a squad, they can accept your invite and you join their squad.

But I have tried to invite solo tigers when I was soloing and were running out of our kind of monsters and I and been turned down by them, so apparently some barbarians really like soloing?

(Also, I wish that I would not be giving up most of my crafting and dragon quest drops when I party with a support class. Or that if their inventory was full and they can not pick up that strong glue that they do not like that I would not have to wait 30 seconds to try again, five or six times in a row. Or... something... Anyways, I hope you can understand and not be too mad with me if I sometimes am reluctant to join a squad with you. I mean, I will, if you need me, but I often will not send an invite if we seem to be doing ok.)
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i am a tank build i solo aolt in tiger with true form lvl2 dunno the extra vit helps when soloing but when i grind for money i generally take apartner at most 2 to increase the kill rate. i use a small area and i take agro rom groups to keep the fluffy ppl alive. that is my contribution to the group since my kill is slower then theres.
    but if i am looking for drops or exp then solo solo.
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • Tsukinoko - Lost City
    Tsukinoko - Lost City Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i assum by soloing u mean a barb who can lvl alone, get for skills who atack 1 mob, dont give vit just str and dex, full hp recovery so u dont get brocke, get crit rings, and go crazy.