Game not seeing memory upgrade

Tenspeed - Heavens Tear
Tenspeed - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Support Desk
Hello,

Under the settings tab at the launcher screen the game still detects the old amount of memory in the system. I have recently upgraded to 4 gigs of ram and the OS sees it all, but the game will not. Is there a way I can get the game to refresh the hardware it detects? Running Windows vista 32 sp1.

Thanks
Post edited by Tenspeed - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Magiterry - Lost City
    Magiterry - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    well..u wasted you money on getting 4 gigs of ram. A 32-bit OS only used around 3.25 gigs of that 4. Although Microsoft argues that even thought the computer cant use all 4 gigs and only recognizes 3.25 gigs, the computer itself can use all 4 gigs to aid in running programs in the background in your system. This hasnt been tested, but hey, if Microsoft says this, it must be true! lol unless u made a typo and meant to say u have a 64-bit OS

but why the game isnt seeing your actual RAM amount, I have no idea..it does the same thing for me...it says I have 1gig when I have 3.
  • Tenspeed - Heavens Tear
    Tenspeed - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well now wasted is all relative. Going from 2 gigs of pc5400 to 4 gigs of pc6400 with timings of 4-4-4-12 for $40 including shipping, hell that's less than what I spent on my spurred kirin. And granted windows32 can only use 3.5 gigs of it since my video card memory is at 512, but vista32 sp1 will report all ram it detects in the system regardless of whether it can use it or not. Basically vista32 reports 4 gigs of ram installed and a dxdiag reports 3.5 gigs useable, but that's besides the point.

It appears that the game will cap how much memory it will use based on the initial detection. I was just wondering if there was a way to force the game to redetect all hardware on the system, or do I have to do a reinstall? Is editing the config.ini a viable solution or is that information stored upon install?

Thanks
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    The Patcher saves system information to (by default) C:\Program Files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\config\patcher\sysinfo.ini . You can delete the file without negative results. I'm not sure if it'll fix your issue, since the Patcher's supposed to do a check every time it's opened, but it may help.

The Patcher's information is mostly used for determining and advocating basic settings, so even if it's wrong it shouldn't affect gameplay performance.

Sounds like you got a good deal on the RAM, though.
    And granted windows32 can only use 3.5 gigs of it since my video card memory is at 512, but vista32 sp1 will report all ram it detects in the system regardless of whether it can use it or not. Basically vista32 reports 4 gigs of ram installed and a dxdiag reports 3.5 gigs useable, but that's besides the point.
    There's some complicated programming 'stuff' under the 32-bit barrier, but outside of rather specialized multitasking, the reality is that each application in a typical WinXP-32 install will only benefit from a little over 2 gigabytes. Windows can recognize more, but it only provides 2 GB worth of address space per application (and has some rather hard crashes if an application goes past that point improperly) by default. Note that this virtual address space is not the same as actual memory used; a typical application will usually only be able to apply 75% of its virtual address space for memory and the remainder for internal controls, although memory-light applications like Word can sometimes use several times the virtual address space as they do memory.

You can (but should not without great caution) increase that to 3 GB in XP by modifying your boot.ini file (C:/boot.ini) to have a second boot option with /3GB on the end or in Vista by using the IncreaseUserVa option in BCDedit, but doing so is strongly ill-advised outside of applications that require it (Supreme Commander, STALKER) -- /3GB mode is not officially supported by Microsoft or a lot of drivers. /3GB mode will crash on computers with poorly written drivers or too many devices using memory mapped I/O or kernel-heavy applications -- hence why it's very important to add a copied line of your existing boot pattern, rather than simply modifying the old one.

You can get around that with a 64-bit operating system, or an operating system that supports PAE (Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, pretty much are the only Microsoft ones), although this is dependent on hardware support.

Of course, most applications are built assuming the user is on a 32-bit operating system, and thus will only play with 2 gigabytes of memory regardless of how much you actually have. That's... not fun to change. I believe that includes Perfect World International, although I don't have the tools to check nor permission to do so.

Anyway, that's the shortish version of the infodump. There's a more in-depth and accurate explanation here (warning: extremely high jargon level). Fully short version is to not worry about it too much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.