Remove pickaxes :-)

kargor
kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Suggestion Box
All they are good for is yet another blatant inventory extension promotion --- essentially they remove one inventory spot, permanently. They don't even have a duration... and since you can't really farm for the ingredients, I doubt people would only carry a pickaxe when they want to get some ingredients, so having a duration would just make things even more annoying.

And you don't need pickaxes. Pickaxes just remove one inventory spot; you already have the alchemy system and the dragon quest items to promote the inventory expansions which are considerably more effective than the pickaxe.

You could remove the pet feeding too, or replace it with something that lasts longer. I don't think it's meant as an inventory expansion promotion, though --- it feels more like a general annoyance that was added as a misdesigned way to prevent AFKing with pets, before they had finished the pet system (right now the pets don't seem to be able to AFK for you anyway). Still, despite being annoying, it also eats an inventory spot needlessly.
Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
Getting too grindy by now :-(
Post edited by kargor on

Comments

• Arinoa - Heavens Tear
    Arinoa - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Agreed on pickaxe. Its a pointless item, its not like there are level 2 pickaxes to get the next grade materials or something. You just buy pickaxe for 2k once and its yours for the rest of the game. So why bother having it in the first place?

Lets suggest an alternative way to how the beginner crafting will go that will nullify the need for this pointless pickaxe.

At start of game you get these quests upon reaching level 5, to get introduced to crafting. Set it so that without the basic skills for crafting you cannot collect the materials for them, which requires changing the quests to just grant you the scroll or make you kill some low level monster for quest items instead of collecting materials (which would make it faster honestly, and prevent you from wasting materials just for getting the skill scroll).

Making the crafting skills themselves be the requirement to collect the materials will nullify the need for the pickaxe.

Or you could just let us collect the materials freely without any requirements b:thanks
  • waffl3ookie
    waffl3ookie Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I dont know if any of you know about mining in reality of course now we use huge drills but there once was a time where we used pickaxes, so what are we going to mine with without a pickaxe, OUR HANDS? Honestly guys, yeah it has no lvl 2 item or is taking up space. I like the way planeshift handles their mining issue but then again, it's a different game, and that would take a LOT of coding/effort to get that to work for PWI, don't know if they would anyway.
  • Tanell - Sanctuary
    Tanell - Sanctuary Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    They could move the pick to the Quest Inventory, that has plenty of wasted space.
  • Ocane_II - Heavens Tear
    Ocane_II - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    They could move the pick to the Quest Inventory, that has plenty of wasted space.

and THAT makes sense :)

getting rid of the pickaxe all together seems kind of nieve, only because you need it to farm for materials you make everythign with, and no you cant go buy them ( unless with real money and have that amoutn to blow constantly ) if other players cant mine them either, so there in lies a detrimental problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gantheral - Sanctuary
    Gantheral - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    and THAT makes sense :)

getting rid of the pickaxe all together seems kind of nieve, only because you need it to farm for materials you make everythign with, and no you cant go buy them ( unless with real money and have that amoutn to blow constantly ) if other players cant mine them either, so there in lies a detrimental problem

well it's either they remove the pickaxes and give a skill that allows to mine or they could remove the pickaxes altogether and just allow all the material to be bought at a much higher cost from the Material Dealers. Because personally I don't want to be spending all my gold on the Materials from the boutique, when I could just as easily buy the same Materials from a npc that could sell them.
  • Ocane_II - Heavens Tear
    Ocane_II - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    well it's either they remove the pickaxes and give a skill that allows to mine or they could remove the pickaxes altogether and just allow all the material to be bought at a much higher cost from the Material Dealers. Because personally I don't want to be spending all my gold on the Materials from the boutique, when I could just as easily buy the same Materials from a npc that could sell them.

i like the idea of having it as a skill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blo0dyyay
    blo0dyyay Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    addy an spot at equipment for pickaxe, so you still can drop it and doesnt take space in the main inventory anymore
  • Nevdemo - Sanctuary
    Nevdemo - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited December 2008

That is a good way to deal with the issue. But I'd prefer to have it as a skill. After all, there's space on the Passive Skills zone to have a "Gathering" skill.
  • graider
    graider Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    god you people are lazy.

I want to see you guys go rip some iron ore out of the ground with your bare hands, or even a tree stump. As much as it 'wastes' an inventory space, it's ONE freaking space. I agree that the materials dealer should sell stacks of materials, but geeze people, do you want the game to go down for a month, and then be bugged for another month?

Shifting it to the quest items section would be best, but again, that's another month or so of downtime and bugs. First they have to find it, then they have to shift it, then change all the related source coding.
    If the best defense is a good offense, why did I even show up?

If a train is going east at 50 mph and another train is going west at 90 mph, where do they...Never gonna give you up~ Never gonna let you down~Never gonna run around~and hurt you~

If you've got this far, you've been rick-rolled.