Is Frostblade broken?

Options
xoloss
xoloss Posts: 3 Arc User
edited April 2010 in Wizard
Heya, lvl 42 wiz here. I have frostblade and was noticing a lack of numbers.

Spell says that is will give a bonus of water damage = to 12% of base magic attack. My magic attack listed is well over 1000 atm, this should translate to 120 points of water damage to normal attacks for those whom i cast it on, correct?

Well, to try it out, i cast it on my friends lvl 5 blade master and there seemed absolutely no difference in damage either in skilled or normal attacks.

Can anyone help me determine what i am doing wrong or what the numbers should be like?

I tried this both with myself in his group and with him solo.

Thanx in advance.
Post edited by xoloss on

Comments

• Baalzor - Heavens Tear
    Baalzor - Heavens Tear Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    BASIC MAGIC ATTACK
    meaning u dont have 1000 at lvl of 42 :)
    just get off your weap to see how much do u have...
    http:// fr.xfire.com/video/36f4d6/
    RUBBERBAND \o/
  • xoloss
    edited November 2008
    Options
    ok, picky picky, without weapon tis like 342, but this isnt the point.
    First, even with 342 base magic attack it should stil be a buff of 40 points of damage to normal attacks.

My friend was using a lvl 5 BM with claws controling phys attack to 13-16 damage, so when attacking normally wouldnt this have let him have attacks doing 53 - 56?

However there was no change in the damage done on the attacks, the mobs fell no faster, same number of hits.

No increase in the regular OR the skill attacks.

I am wondering if there is a level minimum or exactly why this is not working.

Any help?
  • sweaty
    sweaty Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Sorry I have no idea, but what is the point of a spell that adds 30 to attack if you are hitting mobs at like 3000 per hit?
    Don't Sweat it.
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    Aedril - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I just tested this out in a duel with fists and it did not even add a single extra point of damage.

Test scenario: I dueled a L72 archer wearing light armor. I invited him to my party before dueling. He took off his bow and used only fists to attack me. He attacked me until he hit me 10 times (i had sb off). Every single hit did 36 dmg to me.
    We ended the duel, fully healed each other, and I cast frost blade on him. His fists started glowing blue, and the frostblade buff icon was active on him.
    We dueled again. Every single hit from his fists still did 36 dmg.

I took off my weapon and had already cast frostblade on myself about 10 minutes earlier.
    I attacked him with my fists. Every single hit with my fists did 7 dmg.
    I waited until frostblade expired. Every single hit with my fists still only did 7 dmg to him.

Additional details:

My minimum magic damage with my weapon (TT-L60 Ancient Arbor +1 refined) equipped is over 2600. Max damage is around 3100.
    Frost blade skill level is L1, which should add 12% of my magic attack as a water damage bonus.
    My personal water resist with no shield on is 56% vs water.
    Using these stats, my frost blade should have added +137 additional dmg per hit when I was being attacked.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Guys... it says RIGHT ON THE SKILL 12% to NORMAL attack damage.
    Aka melee >_>
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Guys... it says RIGHT ON THE SKILL 12% to NORMAL attack damage.
    Aka melee >_>

Thank you for not reading a single word anyone else has typed...
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Thank you for not reading a single word anyone else has typed...

Actually, I read the opening post and misread one part, thus throwing the entire thread out of whack, and I missed your post. b:cute
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xxbanishedxx
    xxbanishedxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Whats your water resist lol, 40 dmg of water against a water resist of 4k wont cause any damage.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Test it on a fire mob, guys, lol. I tested it out on Foxwing Supremes over 10 levels ago with an archer friend. His normal shots did a bit more damage with my level 1 Frostblade, but I've never tested it on a mob that wasn't a fire one.

Banished is right, you shouldn't be testing the damage on a wizard because of the high mdef. Especially with a weapon like fists on an archer, that already doesn't have a high damage output for a percentage to really do its thing.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    When you're a fist archer, Haiku, you can't possibly do damage to anything but a robe mage anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Aedril - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Test it on a fire mob, guys, lol. I tested it out on Foxwing Supremes over 10 levels ago with an archer friend. His normal shots did a bit more damage with my level 1 Frostblade, but I've never tested it on a mob that wasn't a fire one.

Banished is right, you shouldn't be testing the damage on a wizard because of the high mdef. Especially with a weapon like fists on an archer, that already doesn't have a high damage output for a percentage to really do its thing.

I hate to break it to you and banished, but my Mdef% at the time was 56%, not 100%. Even _if_ I had 97% water def, frostblade should have added at least 1 damage...
    What does testing it on a fire mob have to do with anything?
    Frostblade adds damage based on the wizard's magic attack, not the other person's physical attack.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Well, that was exactly my point about using an attack that can deal enough damage for the percentage to do its thing. Frostblade is based on your base matk, which means that number added is low to begin with.

Take into consideration the damage nerf in PvP, which usually feels like about 1/3 of your damage to mobs.. plus the person's stats. I'm just saying conduct more thorough tests from all sides before you say it's broken. It may very well not affect damage in PvP. However, going off the fact that throughout my 60s and at some FB bosses (fire mobs, fire bosses) melees have asked me for frostblade when I have forgotten to cast it, so it must make some difference in PvE. They report 100-150 damage on melee shots, with the 150s being the higher levels using hh70 or equivalent.

This game doesn't tell you all its formulas and numbers in full. Most things don't work as expected. For example: Blade Tempest outdamaging Dragon most of the time despite BT being 200% x 2 vs Dragon's 500%, and more of BT's attack is physical than magical even though it says it's half and half. Don't believe it? Hit a cleric with it, then hit a cleric with plume shell up with it. Or use it on increased def mobs, then increased magic def.

Anyways, I use frostblade more for the little bit of chi (and it being fast) than the "damage" added so that after spark erupting, I can still cast spark-using skills after. I.E lv29 spark -> frostblade -> blade tempest (with 299 chi total).
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Nublets, I guess you've never been to an 89fb or a level 2 city TW because if you have you'd realize it works and how much damage it does add.

89fb there is a water immune boss, you cast it on melees and you will see resist pop up over its head every time they attack.

Level 2 city TW there is a boss immune to everything but water, mages casted their water buff on melees and they attacked it and did deal damage.

Oh, and guildies said it does had a couple thousand damage per hit in PvE, of course the increase of damage is very little in PvP but its not noticeable because weapons normally have a wide damage range.

Oh, and I have seen the formula for blade tempest, it's quite complicated and has a little secret that most mages probably don't realize.
  • SionEltnam - Sanctuary
    SionEltnam - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Oh, and I have seen the formula for blade tempest, it's quite complicated and has a little secret that most mages probably don't realize.

This makes me wonder - is there any place that has all the skills and their formulas listed, so that I don't have to make a character just to check it's skill tree ? I think I saw a link posted on a thread somewhere, but I don't recall if that's what I'm looking for.

I'm new at this, so I don't quite get the game mechanics, yet.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Ecatomb has the skills listed as well as their description for each level and bonuses for heaven/hell. As for direct formulas not shown in the skill info, if there's a site for that, I haven't found it.

Dammit Haiz, making me nosey. >:
  • SionEltnam - Sanctuary
    SionEltnam - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Thanks, haiku.
    I'll keep my eye out in case I see any sites that help.
  • xoloss
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Lets go back to my original premise.

For those of you who state that it does massive damage increases, or any at all I submit to you the following.

342 base magic attack on my wizard should be a buff of 40 points of damage to normal attacks.

My friend was using a lvl 5 BM with claws controlling phys attack to 13-16 damage, so when attacking normally wouldnt this have let him have attacks doing 53 - 56?

However there was no change in the damage done on the attacks, the mobs fell no faster, same number of hits.

No increase in the regular OR the skill attacks.

I am wondering if there is a level minimum or exactly why this is not working.

If you "know" that it is working, i invite you to try this yourself and provide numbers to back it up.

Simple test ... only problem would be if there is a level minimum or something.
  • kokowei
    kokowei Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    another problem why wizards have this buff... i mena if it work or not : the problem is : why the wizards dont have the bufff for them self ... i mean clerics have a buff with 60% more spell damage but what have the damage dealer (wizards) a buff for melle damger thats the problem..... not that it dont workon a lvl 5 bm b:angry b:surrender i would like if pwi fix it and it would add 30 or maybe 20 % of magic attack to water damage also for magic attacks .... the buff from clerics its better but at least the wizrds hve buff to do more damage .. maybe pwi can do that u add water damage to macig AND physic attack... i wpould prefere it because wizards are DAMAGER no buffer for any melle class b:laugh
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Dude, this thread is from 2008

Funny to read though, and especially funny to see how people look different against some builds now with event stuf
    When you're a fist archer, Haiku, you can't possibly do damage to anything but a robe mage anyway.

And nowdays fist archers solo Nirvada/TT's lol
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris