Fruit

Options
Virla - Sanctuary
Virla - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Venomancer
okay whats the best place for a level 37 to farm for some fruit. I just want to upgrade my pet bag again, and have trouble with the database due to name changes. Any help would be appreciatted
Post edited by Virla - Sanctuary on

Comments

• redonyou
    redonyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Lofty drakes were dropping them pretty often over by Angler's Village.
  • Virla - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Options
    thanks for the info
    but do you mind if I ask what direction from Anglers village they are, don't mean to be a pain but dont want to spend an hour looking for them
  • redonyou
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Pretty much straight up, they're very close to Angler's Village, slightly NW if anything.
  • Virla - Sanctuary
    edited December 2008
    Options
    cool thanks so much
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    might help: they flyb:cute
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Shaneekwa - Sanctuary
    Shaneekwa - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    If its any help the mobs on and around the beach there at Angler's Village also drop fruit but not as much as the dragons.
  • Sunniee - Heavens Tear
    Sunniee - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Actually, I never got any fruit from the Lofty above Anglers, where I do see them drop a lot is above Lost City out of the south gate, the cloudbender things in the air there.
  • redonyou
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I got quite a few from lofties, I also got some from the chisler guys around Angler's. Those guys are on the ground, so that would be an alternative if you didn't want to fight in the sky.
  • NecroVaL - Heavens Tear
    NecroVaL - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I usually farm at Native Vipions just between Etherblade and the 'noob town'.
    Usually at around 1hr, I can get at least 10-15 of fruits. So I think perhaps the best drop rate for fruits so far.
  • solandri
    solandri Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I spent most of the night killing the cloudmelding vipions above the south gate of the Lost City. By the time you collect 50 fruit from them, you will have also collected enough rubybead herbs to buy enough gold at the auctioneer to buy a pet cage. I got 39 fruit, and 144 rubybead herbs (worth 1700 coin each). Selling the herbs to a merchant will yield 244,800 coin, which is easily over the going rate for 2 gold. I went from L35 to L37 in the process.

So basically it's not worth it to farm for fruit. If you've got a bunch of friends or faction members who'll give you fruit, then do the quest. But otherwise you'll have more fun playing normally and collecting enough coin to buy 2 gold at the auctioneer to get the extra cage. I suppose if you really want to farm, you can consider it a way to get two pet slots (one via the fruit quest, the other via the coin from herbs).

According to the database, the L40 vipions and lofties have the same drop rate for fruit. If you do want to farm them despite my recommendation, the vipions are easier since they are not aggressive. If you're not high level or in a group, the lofties need to be pulled one at a time to farm safely.
  • Aesdrid - Sanctuary
    Aesdrid - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    solandri wrote: »
    ... the lofties need to be pulled one at a time to farm safely.

Actually ... they do not need to be pulled.

Lofties are easy. Been hunting them since I was level 34 when I got my first Foxwing. Just have good gear and remember to send your pet in first and wait till it grabs aggro. If for whatever reason they gang up on you - dismiss your flying mount - this will stop the fight almost immediately. Just make sure you resummon your flying mount before you land on a hostile mob on the ground.

It is also a good idea to keep swivelling your viewpoint so you can see exactly what is around you in the air (situational awareness). Also it helps to leave your flying pet in defensive mode so it can take the heat off you if you do get surprised.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Every coin has three sides: head, tail and an edge ... it is the third dimension that gives us depth.
  • redonyou
    edited December 2008
    Options
    So your argument for it not being worth farming lofties / vipions for fruit is that you made sooooo much money while doing it? =p
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    redonyou wrote: »
    So your argument for it not being worth farming lofties / vipions for fruit is that you made sooooo much money while doing it? =p

LOL. :D

My thinking is that I play the game for fun, not to farm. I do a lot of quests. If I'm going to spend the night killing mobs, instead of farming I'd rather do it as part of the quests so I'm making some progress on that front. The drop rates for DQ items seems pretty similar overall, so I would've made about as much money doing that as I did farming the vipions, and could've just bought the cage.

I tried the lofties for a bit to finish off my 50 fruit. Drop rate was pretty similar, but they die more quickly. And the foggy background makes them easier to spot (not that the vipions are particularly hard to see). But the lack of any terrain means you can lose track of where the drops are if you don't loot them immediately, like if you had to drop to the ground to escape. With the vipions, there are some trees and cliffs nearby that give you a position reference. Overall I think the extra risk of the lofties is worth it.

Vipions:
    - really close to starter town (cheap teleport)
    - non-aggro
    - safe to drop to ground if you get in trouble
    - higher defense against wood, takes longer to kill with venomous and ironwood scarab
    - more people farming these
    - like to cast dots

Lofties:
    - die more quickly
    - weak to fire if you like blazing scarab
    - lots more of them
    - aggro, have to pull or keep an eye out around you (some may find this relieves the boredom of farming)
    - like to cast DDs

Final tally was 50 fruit, 180 rubybead herbs (worth at least 306,000 coin), and a bunch of potions and crafting items I'll be giving to other characters. So yes it was profitable, but it was also really, really boring.
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    Rosewhite - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I have to agree with Solandri. I don't play the game to farm I play it to quest. I was killing lofties with another person and I only got 1 or 2 fruit for every DQ item I got. Mind you, you do make quite a hefty sum but it get boring really quickly. i'm up to about 30 fruit and i've got 20 more to go and i'm not really looking forward to it. The only think that keeps me from just buying it all is that its really expensive and farming it is the lesser of two evils.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon...