Under-used pets in PWI #1 - Carapest terror

Options
bobbeh
bobbeh Posts: 52 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Venomancer
Lvl 19 Carapest terror
Magic tank
Direct competitor: the frog, oddfoot pup, Shadou bear.

Pros:
- One of the highest point spread per level (35)
- Decent HP, ~2500HP at level 90 compared to the ~2730 of the frog but
- The highest magic defense out of all pets with the exception of the phoenix, approximately 700 more than the frog at level 90.
- Dodge-rate is about 15% higher
- Similar defense
- Similar attack and attack speed
- Skill set not bad.
- Cheap!

Cons:
- Attack rate is low, about 20% lower.
- UGLY (purely subjective)
- Slower movement (7.2 vs 7.7)

Depending on how you look at it, if you don't mind appearance and such then a carapest terror is statistically comparable to a frog all-round and as a magic tank. Oddfoot pup is also a nice alternative.

If you want the best all-round tank and a good companion then there's definitely no substitute for the shadou bear. 3100+ HP at lvl 90 can't be wrong can it? It will tank magic mobs just as well as the frog.
Post edited by bobbeh on

Comments

• VenomMatron - Sanctuary
    VenomMatron - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I am looking to find a magic tanker to fight Chin, is this Carapest terror better or Mastiff of great divide better to tank magical atks?

And yeah, you are right it looks hideous.b:sweat
  • bobbeh
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I am looking to find a magic tanker to fight Chin, is this Carapest terror better or Mastiff of great divide better to tank magical atks?

And yeah, you are right it looks hideous.b:sweat

Stats-wise the mastiff is not as good a wolven guardsman (Which is a decent all-round pet, caught at mid-level, looks good and it's probably the poor-man's shadou cub)

Again, if appearance is an issue for the carapest terror, consider an oddfoot pup. Nothing's really going to match the carapest terror in terms of magic defense though (again, except the phoenix).

Some people say an antilope pup is a good choice, but I've tried it and there seems to be some movement bug with it.
  • rking
    rking Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The antelope pup has better growth rate for magical defense and attack than all the listed above. HP isn't bad either around 2450 at lvl 90.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I've been using my golem to tank chin for a long time. You just have to make sure to get your golem close enough to chin so that he doesn't spam magic attacks. If you get the golem close enough he will only do magic like once every 4-5 attacks, and the golem handles the physical just fine.
    Also, just fyi, if your golem does die, pop up bramble hood, rez the pet, resummon, heal, and send the golem back in. If you can do it quick enough to stay in bramble the whole time you'll survive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobbeh
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The antelope pup has better growth rate for magical defense and attack than all the listed above. HP isn't bad either around 2450 at lvl 90.
    Like I said before, carapest has magical defense 2nd only the phoenix.

At level 90 the magical defense of carapest is roughly 200 higher than the antelope pup.
    Antelope pup has good attack, but runs into the risk of getting spiked by physical attacks with its inferior physical defense and low dodge rate. It's probably a good 2nd tier alongside oddfoot pup.

Frog, carapest and shadou cub are in tier 1 for magic tanks.
  • redonyou
    redonyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Out of the frog, carapest and shadou bear which of these 3 would you suggest keeping & focusing on if I had all 3?

I see you mention the Shadou Bear being the best all-around tank, but if he falls behind the magmite in physical tanking and the frog / carapest in magic, wouldn't switching between those 2 be better, or do alot of monsters do both magical and physical damage later on.

Also compared to the magmite these have much lower attack so what skills would you suggest using for them, especially for keeping aggro?
  • bobbeh
    edited December 2008
    Options
    redonyou wrote: »
    Out of the frog, carapest and shadou bear which of these 3 would you suggest keeping & focusing on if I had all 3?

I see you mention the Shadou Bear being the best all-around tank, but if he falls behind the magmite in physical tanking and the frog / carapest in magic, wouldn't switching between those 2 be better, or do alot of monsters do both magical and physical damage later on.

Also compared to the magmite these have much lower attack so what skills would you suggest using for them, especially for keeping aggro?

The main purpose of magic tanks is to tank magic bosses that are quite prevalent from mid-game onwards.

Because of its HP, it's comparable to the frog and carapest in the magic tanking department, and easily excels them in physical tanking. Monster's do come with both magic/physical attack later on and the seemingly invincible magmite gets ganged, but it's not a necessary requirement to have a balanced tanker . Just something worth noting on.
  • Shyandra - Heavens Tear
    Shyandra - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Where do you find the carapest terror? :)
  • Shiga - Sanctuary
    Shiga - Sanctuary Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/1379 The best way to describe, would be Northwest of the city of plume, up where one of the last hunting places for Wing Elves before going to the main city.
  • GraveSiren - Archosaur
    GraveSiren - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Lol thx for telling us some good pets b:victory but could you tell me where the Shaodu Cub is? ^^ pls and ty
  • MageMERC - Harshlands
    MageMERC - Harshlands Posts: 1,600 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    The cub is a rare pet. It spawns infrequently and pro veno's hang out waiting to get it, so dont bother. Save some coin and do what I did, bite the bullet and buy one. On HL they currently go for 350-450k.
  • SolemnSiren - Archosaur
    SolemnSiren - Archosaur Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    kk thx =/ i've seen ppl selling it but it was like for 3mil lol so yea nvm mind bout that ^^ thx for replying tho b:thanks
  • rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    almost two year necro -december 2008 to september 2010 b:shocked b:shocked b:shocked
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Options
    Just an FYI: There is no use for a magic tank pet, so it can't be under-used.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • colin200
    colin200 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    dose anybody know a really good defence pet for lv 70-80 plz b:cryb:cryb:cry my name is supercolin_ no caps
  • colin200
    edited December 2011
    Options
    but first pm me b:thanks
  • colin200
    edited December 2011
    Options
    please tell me as soon as posibleb:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb:victory
  • colin200
    edited December 2011
    Options
    how do u change ur picture on here
  • colin200
    edited December 2011
    Options
    nvmb:laugh
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Not only you triple posted , you triple necroed as well.

noobs
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Supercolin_ - Archosaur
    Supercolin_ - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Options
    yay descent yayayayayayayb:pleasedbb:chuckleb:chuckle