Archosaur Player Shop Organization Idea

Options
Rastai - Heavens Tear
Rastai - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
So I had an idea to make player shops easier to navigate while in Archosaur. The idea has been around since Ragnarok Online, and it seems like it would work just fine in Perfect World International. The problem is, it will require that the community steps up and follows the 'rules'. The basic rule is only setup shops on the curbs of the street.

Perfect World Organized Shop Example: http://i38.tinypic.com/11v4qav.jpg (Focus is on the shops with titles)

Now I'm not saying everyone must face the same way, but it's just a system that can help clear the streets and important NPCs a bit. This will also give more shops a better opportunity to sell items, as the shops will appear as a list as pictured above. For a slightly better example, here's a screenshot from Ragnarok Online.

Ragnarok Online Shops: http://i35.tinypic.com/2u6puuv.jpg
Post edited by Rastai - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    West Archo's curbs would be crowded as hell, unless you also weren't allowed to be too close to someone which would then mean that you'd have to walk round the whole damn city just to look through them for whatever mats you're trying to find.

The simple solution would be a way to make shops invisible for when players don't want to buy anything.

Also: Congratulations on the double thread b:chuckle
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    There is a little bit of organization in the shops in archosaur. If you browse them enough you will start to see the patterns of where to find certain items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rastai - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Also: Congratulations on the double thread b:chuckle

****, didn't mean for that to happen. The main thing about the idea is it would allow shops to be quickly browsed, as they will appear as a giant list when you rotate your camera. Trying to find a spot to setup shop won't be hard at all, as the current scatter simply makes it look like more shops than there really are.

As it stands now, player shops are setup usually along the main streets of the city so setting up along the curbs would just organize it. It would also help make navigating through the city and player shops easier for everyone.
  • Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    ****, didn't mean for that to happen. The main thing about the idea is it would allow shops to be quickly browsed, as they will appear as a giant list when you rotate your camera. Trying to find a spot to setup shop won't be hard at all, as the current scatter simply makes it look like more shops than there really are.

As it stands now, player shops are setup usually along the main streets of the city so setting up along the curbs would just organize it. It would also help make navigating through the city and player shops easier for everyone.

They'd either be really condensed or really spread out around the city, there are way too many shops for all of them to fit in West Archosaur all neatly like in that picture..
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • Wwing - Heavens Tear
    Wwing - Heavens Tear Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    while you're on it, I am working on the merchant organization for reasonable prices for seller and buyer, as well as item distribution.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    News Project Fox in [][]http://pwifox.blogspot.com[][] Santa Claus is a lie.
    12/17 2008 PerfectFox Index (Heavens Tear) : 1 gold = 113558.91~114972.42
  • Rastai - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I just hate going through West District the way it currently is set up. If the general community could come together and just open a shop in a slightly different area it would benefit not only themselves but everyone else as well.
  • deshin
    deshin Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The problem is, it will require that the community steps up and follows the 'rules'.

And this is the key. How do you get the 12yr old idiots who think it is funny to stand on top of the NPC. Also do you really think the people who attempt to scam newb for the crazy stones still won't setup shop on top of the NPC
  • Rastai - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Options
    deshin wrote: »
    And this is the key. How do you get the 12yr old idiots who think it is funny to stand on top of the NPC. Also do you really think the people who attempt to scam newb for the crazy stones still won't setup shop on top of the NPC

I'm not saying everyone will cooperate, but it would organize the city if the few people that DO open shops open them on curbs.
  • Rastai - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Guess no one liked the idea. Oh well. Thanks for reading and have fun!
  • De_Caf - Heavens Tear
    De_Caf - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    rule is only setup shops on the curbs of the street.

u'd be just shifting one condensed , tightly packed, group into corners, if they have to have shops, i would like to see, like a sort of invisible bubble type thing, that stops anyone from laying a shop on or to close to any npc at all but still allow room to go spk to them, b:angry or just do away with cat shops all together, and have a free trade channel Just for trade, like on wow, for anyone to do any trading on..... this idea more preferable.... = ) b:pleased
  • Tarterus - Lost City
    Tarterus - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    u'd be just shifting one condensed , tightly packed, group into corners

Exactly, but its a good idea.
    if they have to have shops, i would like to see, like a sort of invisible bubble type thing, that stops anyone from laying a shop on or to close to any npc at all but still allow room to go spk to them, b:angry or just do away with cat shops all together, and have a free trade channel Just for trade, like on wow, for anyone to do any trading on..... this idea more preferable.... = ) b:pleased

That would be great.
  • quoll
    quoll Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Someone on Sanctuary tried this today by giving 50k out at random to shops that relocated to the bridge in the middle of Arch, and it worked.

For about 4 hours. Then everyone moved back to West Arch.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I like this idea. I will do this from now on.
  • Shaneekwa - Sanctuary
    Shaneekwa - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Its a good idea but to be honest its not something that will take hold. At least not for long. I will on occasion check all the shops but from what I've seen so far all the good stuff tends to be in the center of town so I usually just go straight there. The problem with people moving to the out skirts of town or the bridge like another poster mentioned is you just don't get the traffic there so of course they move back twords the center where the buyers are. I think the only way this will ever get organized is if the the developers code it so you can only set up a shop within certain areas or within a certain amount of distance from an NPC like they do in a few other games. Rose comes to mind.
    I also think if they included small avatars of the items you were buying at the auction house that would help relieve the cat shops since people would be able to see what they were buying. For me that would be a good thing since I cant remember what happened yesterday and trying to remember what the name of a specific item is and what it looks like is almost impossible for me. I run back and forth from the AH to the NPC's.

Either way I completely agree is a mess/lag fest in Arch
  • Kelebek - Sanctuary
    Kelebek - Sanctuary Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Or they could get rid of having shops entirely, and fully depend on the Auction House & the trade channel, i.e WoW, where you can find pretty much ANYTHING you want at ALL times and all the prices are listed right there for you, which works great. They could link up all the main city trade channels, but it'd need some work to alleviate spam and non-trading conversation.
  • Shaneekwa - Sanctuary
    Shaneekwa - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Or they could get rid of having shops entirely, and fully depend on the Auction House & the trade channel

Thats also a good idea. They have that in Archloard and it works really well. But the only diff I would suggest is to not have it as an auction. Auctions take time and most people are looking for things they can use now not later if they win the auction. Make it just a buy house(Market place). Except maybe the gold. It could still be an actionable item.
  • Aesdrid - Sanctuary
    Aesdrid - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The location of stalls in West Archosaur is a fascinating study in free market economics. Given the nature of the PW economy attempts to get it organized will probably be doomed to failure given the underlying economic forces.

There is actually some method to the apparent chaos as stalls with similar (competing/complementing products) tend to congregate in certain areas. So overtime there is a pattern to the distribution of the stalls.

I agree with the posters above that stalls should not be on top of or right next to NPCs. This could be fixed by PWI by adding coding preventing stalling within "x" meters of an NPC.

As for scammers, in a sense they are a "normal" part of a free market economy, so as in real life: Caveat emptor ("Let the buyer beware"). Overall, I have observed that free market pricing forces are fully functional within the game economy so over the spectrum of available goods, pricing is "fair" and there are good deals for those willing to take the time to compare prices.

The Schism faction on Sanctuary did sponsor a relocation of stalls to the center of Archosaur. I was fortunate to be able to observe their attempt although I felt that it was prone to failure. It was an interesting experiment to observe nonetheless.

So the question does beg to be asked as to "why the stalls are almost all in West Archosaur?" An interesting point to ponder for those of you interested in economic and market behavior.

Personally, I never stall and make excellent profits through the games very nicely set up Auction House system. I also love the set up where you can sell your items directly to stalls, this is superb for those who are in need of certain items and superb for those who want to make a quick profit.

PW's economy with both a stalling system and a well developed Auction House is, in my humble opinion, wonderful and offers a great deal of flexibility overall. The only thing that is really missing is a database system to allow for an overview of the entire economic system to allow players to quickly locate items, buyers, sellers and easily compare prices.

Happy shopping and selling everyone b:pleased and thank you for a great job with the economic modules PWI b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Every coin has three sides: head, tail and an edge ... it is the third dimension that gives us depth.