Should I start crafting right away?

Options
snowowl
snowowl Posts: 20 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Dungeons & Tactics
In wow, I started crafting right away and it ate up all my money. I think I would have been better off using that money to buy what I needed off of the AH and just selling and craftables I came across.

What do you think about crafting at lower levels here? Can you earn back the money you invest in it right away or is it better to wait till you're higher level to start?
Post edited by snowowl on

Comments

• Amiris - Sanctuary
    Amiris - Sanctuary Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Start crafting right away, but simply use the materials you find. While questing, you'll inevitably come across materials. Get them, and use them when you get back to town. Just one thing, Blacksmith is more important than Tailor, so use the materials primarily on that. Craftsman is rather useless, and Apothecary has its own materials.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit to Symour for the signature.
    Amiris is my forum character. My actual main is Andralia.
    1,000 posts as of 10/01/09, which was also my birthday!
  • The ferenczy - Sanctuary
    The ferenczy - Sanctuary Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    tailor is important to me being a tank and all
    one day the world will shout to me save us....
    and i will whisper no.
  • MorgulLord - Sanctuary
    MorgulLord - Sanctuary Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Here is what I do. Everytime I'm questing or grinding or simply flying/running from one place to another and I come across herbs/metal ores I just extract items off it and save them in the inv until i get to the city and use them to lvl the profession skill up.

This way, I'm not spending time/money exclusively for the profession.... :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally...
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Here is what I do. Everytime I'm questing or grinding or simply flying/running from one place to another and I come across herbs/metal ores I just extract items off it and save them in the inv until i get to the city and use them to lvl the profession skill up.

This way, I'm not spending time/money exclusively for the profession.... :)

The issue is where to store them? I do pick mats up when I see them, but end up have to let them go later when my inventory is full and a high value item dropped. Even you happen to get back to town before your inventory is full, do you have enough space in your bank? I have reached the point that my bank is full, and inventory can only have 5 or 6 open slots before I go out to hunt, may stop doing DQ completely, so I can clear out all of the DQ items out off my bank.
  • Loto - Lost City
    Loto - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    unfortunatly that is a problem everyone faces and the only real way [i know] to deal with it is either frequent trips to town, which is annoying, or upgrading your inventory space via the inventory extension stone. inventory extension was the first thing i bought with my gold and i still think it was the best investment per cost i have made so far.
  • *chitose* - Heavens Tear
    *chitose* - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    swgs wrote: »
    The issue is where to store them? I do pick mats up when I see them, but end up have to let them go later when my inventory is full and a high value item dropped. Even you happen to get back to town before your inventory is full, do you have enough space in your bank? I have reached the point that my bank is full, and inventory can only have 5 or 6 open slots before I go out to hunt, may stop doing DQ completely, so I can clear out all of the DQ items out off my bank.

Yep2, everyone faces that problem, which is really annoying. *shrug* I have no Invent Enlargement Stone and have no plan on spending my money on that... Because of that, the only thing I can do is expanding my bank. You can try the Collecting Materials quests for expanding your Storage, if you really don't want to spend money, like the poor me. ^^ Or, you may choose which you REALLY want to save, and things that are less important. *shrug* b:surrender b:surrender the only real Crafting that I do are Apothecary and Blacksmith, really, in the end...
  • Darth_rambo - Lost City
    Darth_rambo - Lost City Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Doing both safe extension quests is a must have. I've never worried about storage since.
  • Asuni - Lost City
    Asuni - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I agree to what most people say. Its best to start as early as possible, if your a high level its going be annoying to go back and gather up all those things and make those low level eq. isn't it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aww quality didn't turn out as well ;(, oh well.
  • snowowl
    snowowl Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback!

I think I would amend the advice slightly though... Start crafting right away AFTER completing the first bank expansion quest :)

I never seem to have enough of everything to use up materials when I get back to town so the left over stuff has to go back into the bank which is then always full. Glad I finally finished the first quest and I have a little room to spare now.
  • Blakiepoo - Sanctuary
    Blakiepoo - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Don't bother with crafting. It's a waste of materials and time and money, not to mention the inventory problems you would deal with until the end of time.

You can spend money or bore yourself on ingredients, only to craft a dud most of the time. Better to buy something crafted by other players for about 1/4 the cost you would have making it yourself.

You cannot make money crafting. I love crafting in other games but this game's system is re-f'ing-diculous. Until it's fixed, I suggest you spare yourself the irritation.
  • WarBerserker - Sanctuary
    WarBerserker - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    I just started myself and yes it is painful sometimes to throw out some stuff on the battlefield but whenever I gather mats that are just enough to make something I use them right away. Of course it is because I am not so far from towns for now....

However, I almost finished my first Bank expansion quest!!! :) I guess it should be helpfull
  • deshin
    deshin Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    The main reason to craft at all is to be able to make the green TT weapons/armor. Although this stuff is available via the auction house it comes at a very high cost. Since the materials are hard to get crafters want a lot of profit per item.

If you don't feel you will use any of the lower level craft items you can just wait until you get to level 60. You can farm coin faster than you can farm materials at level 60. You can just buy the minimum amount of materials to level even if the are over priced and level the crafting quickly.

You would think there would be more crafters offering to make the TT stuff for a fee with materials but you see none of that in this game.
  • Antcy - Heavens Tear
    Antcy - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    personaly i didnt start crafting til after 50, gathered every mat i wanted til then.
    live in the dark, love the pain, Fear nothing
    the path of demon born
  • Shaneekwa - Sanctuary
    Shaneekwa - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Options
    Not to mention someone is always selling expansion stones in arch if you really just want the space or if the expansion quests don't give you enough.