whats going on for the Wiz

nytfall
nytfall Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Wizard
Hi all

I donot want to make thisinto a nerf thread or anything like that but could u pls tell me why a wiz is not the most dangerous class?

wiz are suppose to be the masters of magic right?

I was talking to a battle cleric for a bitand she goes i can one shot u i was like ok lets duel.

so we did and she sparks i silence then i cast a spell on her and it was like i did not hit her at all then she comes out of my silence and WHAM one shots me.

Now i know its phy damage and all that bt really wtf is going on here. they can heal and have all those buffs should i be able to hit harder then a priest?

I mean really if u can heal ur not suposed to do a great deal of damage.

I was talking to my guild and i said to them if i wanted to b a wiz i guess i shoud have been a priest.

venos get hood and get that spell to switch there mana to there health plus have a pet. wth do we get in my opinion i think we should be hitting harder then what we do, because thats all we have is our direct damge.

plus does a priest need the spell spirits gift, i think its the one that increases there magic atk shouldnt that be a mages buff not frostblade thats seems to just be for meele? i mean apriest and a warrior go hand in hand i really think that should be switched around.

i am a little discouraged atm but ill get over it. I am lvl 72 and the priest was lvl 73. gear was compareable .

To sum it up the wiz needs some more bang with our spells and i would really like to see that buff switched.

i look forward to hear what all of your think so please this is just my opinion so pls share yoours in a mature way =) if you this im wrong that ok but pls state why

ty in advance

Nyt
Post edited by nytfall on

Comments

• graider
    graider Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I only have 1 real question.
    What is your build?

Reason being:
    If they are a battle cleric, they probably have multiple armors for different situations. I'm sure they were using arcane armor, so they had high resists. Also, if you look at games outside of MMOs, Clerics are some of the most powerful classes around. (D&D is my prime example)
    If the best defense is a good offense, why did I even show up?

If a train is going east at 50 mph and another train is going west at 90 mph, where do they...Never gonna give you up~ Never gonna let you down~Never gonna run around~and hurt you~

If you've got this far, you've been rick-rolled.
  • nytfall
    edited November 2008
    i am an int build.
  • Sweaty - Heavens Tear
    Sweaty - Heavens Tear Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    You are level 72 and you are just starting to get discouraged...? I was always led to believe that wizards start slow but are much better at higher levels compared to other classes. Maybe this isnt so.
    I do think Frostbit is **** though. Its definately not for pvp at all. It is supposed to be okay when it is at a higher level and you use it on your whole party. I think the whole idea is that is is supposed to add up, but it doesnt seem like a Wizard buff to me.
  • Neoxtemplar - Lost City
    Neoxtemplar - Lost City Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Are you really lvl72 or do you not pvp a lot because clerics, especially full attack ones, are comparable and sometimes even exceed archers in terms of deadliness.

As a pure int wiz, you should still out-dps the cleric in parties since their buff is for everyone and you have sutra as well as elemental spells to help increase your dps even further.

Remember that force of will is a spell mostly useful for its interrupt until it has been leveled up: 2.3s silence-2s casting=0.3s advantage ( far less helpful than a cleric's sleep/paralyze).

Have you tried using a spark potion that you can make from lvl4 apoth?
    Full chi->Sutra->spark pot->force of will (at least lvl2 but 3 is best)->blade tempest is a fun, but expensive and sometimes impractical (especially with lag), ohko combo against most classes if they are not expecting you to have a spark potion.

Clerics, with their buffs, debuffs, sleep, and paralyze, are better suited for 1v1 pvp than the wiz class which has too much emphasis on flashy damage skills and not enough chi-independent, versatile spells.
    On the bright side, you have a far lower mp consumption if you use wellspring, frost shield, and sutra/advanced erupt to the point that you sometimes find yourself with full mp unless you're fighting a boss.
    In addition, a wiz can temporarily out-heal a cleric with sutra+a decent level morning dew and can save the party in those 6- seconds if things go bad.
  • nytfall
    edited November 2008
    [QUOTE=

Have you tried using a spark potion that you can make from lvl4 apoth?
    Full chi->Sutra->spark pot->force of will (at least lvl2 but 3 is best)->blade tempest is a fun, but expensive and sometimes impractical (especially with lag), ohko combo against most classes if they are not expecting you to have a spark potion.

Clerics, with their buffs, debuffs, sleep, and paralyze, are better suited for 1v1 pvp than the wiz class which has too much emphasis on flashy damage skills and not enough chi-independent, versatile spells.
    On the bright side, you have a far lower mp consumption if you use wellspring, frost shield, and sutra/advanced erupt to the point that you sometimes find yourself with full mp unless you're fighting a boss.
    In addition, a wiz can temporarily out-heal a cleric with sutra+a decent level morning dew and can save the party in those 6- seconds if things go bad.[/QUOTE]

yes i am 72 feel free to get a hold of me my char name is Nytshade im on the lost city server.

and this is my point you bring up useing a spark potion. 1st off yes i know of them but should i have to use them to be up to a lvl ofanother class to pvp? im really not talking about in group pve stuff im talking like 2 grps battle in pvp and everyone else is dead but my wiz on my side and a battle cleric on there side are still alive she will kill me hands down.

The wizard to me should be the best and most feared magical class cause all we have is our direct damage. This game in my opinion has really messed up a basic function of class roles. a priest can heal and has all of those buffs and can beat me hands down. A wizard is just direct damage and it is laughable at best as i said before i feel if i wanted to be a threat and be feared i should have roled a batle priest to kill people.

The problem is i do like my wizard but i feel something should be done to make them more feared. I would like to see maybe a little more bang out of spells. I know i sound like a broken record but al we have is our direct damage make it hurt.

I hope u cansee wherei am comeing from and i hope someone that can catch the ear of someone to make a difference see this.
  • Sweaty - Heavens Tear
    Sweaty - Heavens Tear Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I agree the cleric has tons of other spells besides just damage while a wizard has basically just dd spells. It doesnt make sense that a cleric souldbe able to out dmaage a wizard if they can also heal buff and debuff as well.
  • graider
    edited November 2008
    Well, it could be that your choice of spells is not suited to PvP, perhaps you yourself aren't as good at PvP... It could be any number of things.

But as I said before, Clerics, in the history of RPGs have been some of the most powerful classes, yet the weakest starting out.

There could be several factors as to why you get annihilated by that cleric, but I don't know the cleric or you. So it's all conjecture on my part.

If you really want to know, make a battle cleric yourself, then compare their PvP capability.

If a train is going east at 50 mph and another train is going west at 90 mph, where do they...Never gonna give you up~ Never gonna let you down~Never gonna run around~and hurt you~

• nytfall
    edited November 2008
    well the fight went like this she sparked she went to shoot i sileneced her hit esentual sutra and have 5 spells on macro she came out of my silence and 1 shot me i loose duel.

other times she would 2 shoot me with plume i would get 1 spell off before i would lose.

i went mostly int i put a little bit into vit and have hit point gems my hit points are 2225 and my magic is over 300.

the fights i had with the cleric go so fast it doesnt even give me a chance to be bad at my class.

The priests name is Molly and she is in bloodlust very nice person to talk to as i said she was 73.
  • graider
    edited November 2008
    Ah! I see part of the problem. Your in arcane armor with HP gems. Arcane armor isn't really for 1v1 unless your battling another wizard or a veno. Clerics are Physical damage and metal element damage.

If you can find some good light armor with sockets add as much metal resistance as you can, if you can get the dex and str to wear it, that may help. But it may not.

I really don't know your problem, but it seems that your the only one having it so...

• Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Since there's no nice way of saying this, I'll be blunt; you simply don't understand how pvp works.

The only reason that cleric is one-hitting you is because that plume shot does physical damage. Arcane robe users naturally don't have a lot of physical resistances, and that's not something you can really get around. Every class has it's bane, and in this case, it's the cleric. I can rarely beat a cleric around my level in a duel.

That said, compare damage that you do to a mob to a cleric. Most likely you'll beat them by a long-shot damage wise.

BM's, Barbs, and occasionaly archers, is a completely different story. I am a pure magic build myself, and I almost NEVER lose to them. My spells do so much damage, and with the combination of my seal, they almost never have a chance to get a single shot off.

In conclusion, you just need to understand the weaknesses of your class and know your strengths in pvp. I've known since level 55 that wizards cannot beat clerics their own level.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lilme808
    lilme808 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    well, wizard was never mean to dual or single pvp, battle priest always take out wizard no problem, but i agree with you that wizards in this game just too weak compared to other classes.
  • Fire_Blood - Lost City
    Fire_Blood - Lost City Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    How good would a light armor build be (wiz) against other classes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PM me for my referral b:victory
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm not as high a level as you but I have done quite a bit of reading. It seems that cleric is just a naturally difficult class for a wizard. Their sleep+plume shot is murder for low phys def wiz's. Further Wizard is a class that doesn't realize its potential until 89+. Skill levels determine range, which means that the L59 ultimate skills are short range skills until you get high in level. Considering Blade Tempest is the only thing that can hurt a cleric (the robed ones anyway) this is a big problem for "low" level wizards. Further its not until 79 that wiz gets its second "stun" skill. Finally as level goes on even pure robe wiz's can get a respectable phys def. See Haiz's picture where he has 55% phys dmg reduction at 87. That's in good gear no doubt but that's what a robe wiz of that level could attain. As levels go further I would expect the phys dmg reduction difference between wiz and the other classes to close even further (gotta love stone barrier). So IMO there's two reasons for why you're feeling the way you are; Clerics are naturally hard for Wiz and Wiz are REALLY late (High 8x) bloomers.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Sorry to say this, but if a cleric sees you preparing to blade tempest, they'll either sleep you or use plume shell, which'll knock even a pure magic wizard's damage down to below 1.5k, which is not worth the time spent to cast it. I've 1shotted many a vitless battle cleric with sandstorm; it's the robe ones with vit that **** me off, because once they start healing themselves and keep plume shell up it's not worth bothering unless you really like wasting people's HP/MP charms.

Wizard vs Cleric in a 1v1 situation is quite hard if you are unbuffed, but if you're high enough to be involved in TW, you should have a set of robes balanced for pdef and HP (though they may not be your leveling armor). Use these against a cleric, wear fashion, and use earth barrier -- most of them will think you are light armor due to their damage and try to use a metal skill to follow up. Use that to your advantage. It'll get better with the 79 skills; there are so many ways to keep your opponent from being able to do anything before dying in a 1v1 situation that it's well worth the 1m SP per skill. The debuff fixes the damage problem against robes, and the sleep gives you time to use it. Not to mention you still have FoW.

In terms of PvE, in all honesty, a lot of the best flying mobs to grind on up until 8x are wood element (it does get better after 60), which metal has the advantage on. They aren't all wood, but a good portion of them are. So, your point is sort've null on wizards being higher DPS PvE during most of those levels, sorry. :x A FAC will kill them faster than you. They can even purify the poison that most wood mobs carry to save their charm a bit. :\ When it comes to underwater mobs though, we kill them faster than any cleric could ever hope to (dragonmaids <3). They can keep up on most other elements. On bosses though, yes, we're the best hands down and will only get even better with our debuff, in the rare cases when using it won't put aggro on us.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • OriciAlyssa - Heavens Tear
    OriciAlyssa - Heavens Tear Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Just an observation not quite on the line of this thread but maybe something to think about.

I've played quite a few MMOs and in most MMOs the mage class is usually the most over-powered class in the game damagewise. Damage output is usually uncomparable vs other classes. This is probably the only MMO that I know of where the DD magic user class doesn't decisively out damage all other classes. After playing wiz til 66 there are seriously some times I consider, maybe veno or cleric haha. Wiz is fun don't get me wrong, but I would have like maybe a slightly larger dmg gap over all the other classes.
  • Zellias - Lost City
    Zellias - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Hello. I was just reading this, and noticed the discussion seems to be revolving around Wizard power. I'm a veteran gamer, and have put up with many worries in my history. I've played WoW as a mage, RuneScape as a magic-focused PC and as a battle-focused PC, Fallen Sword as a magic-focus (props if you've heard of Fallen Sword), and several other more obscure ones.

Wizards are often the hardest to manage at low lvs (although the Archer class in PW really gave me a run for my money), but move to the other side of the w\power curve @ higher lvs, somethimes to a ridiculous degree. I'm still trying out the Wizard class, but it looks promising... :)
    I am the Sage of the Threads, and I bow to youb:thanks

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity... and I'm not so sure about the former." -Albert Einstein

Hello, Lost City! Hello, Dauntless!!
  • IkurasThor - Heavens Tear
    IkurasThor - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Clerics are wizard killers. you cant really do anything about it.
    They have physical damage and metal spells. wizards should have no trouble with the metal spells, but because of low physical defense and health usually can stand up to their physical spells. I had a problem like that when i was level 40 i dueled a lvl 35 cleric. when he used metal spells i tore him to bits without losing much health but when he used plume shot (absurdly fast channel, cast, cooldown) i barely beat him.
    i would just suggest slotting everything with Phys defense shards and wearing phys defense jewelry
    hope this helps
  • Gregen - Lost City
    Gregen - Lost City Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    All I want to say is I agree with you on that cleric thing. They do more damage than wizards. First, they have damage that compares with wizards, then they get buffs making them even stronger. It's rediculous, healers really aren't supposed to do high damage, it baffles me why it's like this.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    wizards are unbeatable in damage. have you seen Haiz damage log b:shocked
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Meeplk - Harshlands
    Meeplk - Harshlands Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    if you'r going to talk about clerics go to the cleric form this is for wizards ONLY.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

magic mmmb:dirty