PvP vs. PvE

Monsoon - Lost City
Monsoon - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
So doubtlessly this question has been posted countless times, however again I'm too lazy to go look it up. Actually, I've tried, but I've found no solid answer. Anyway, I've got very-low-level characters on both Lost City and Sanctuary, and I'm thinking that I'd like to abandon one of them. I was just looking for people's biased opinions on what the better playing-style is, and what the clear differences are (I know that once you turn lvl 30, you become white). It seems that Sanctuary is more crowded, but I don't know if that's a plus. Any suggestions?
Post edited by Monsoon - Lost City on

Comments

• Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    If you're alert enough to react to an occasional attack, you don't cry when you die and you think you'd enjoy beating up your enemies when you're higher level, then get rid of the carebear.

Contrary to popular lies, Lost City is a big deal at all. If you join one of the "big 3" guilds then yes, you are more of a target, but as long as you're not one of those people who'd whine on world chat after every death, you'll be fine b:victory
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • ina1166
    ina1166 Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Or you could be an annoying non-factor, like me, getting the last hit on that 7x BM when he's 1vs1' ing, and having your informer telling you he's screaming his head off on vent. LMFAO. >:]
    88 FIRE! An "anti-tank" projectile, accompanied by an AC-130 are on their way to ensure insanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mua - Lost City
    Mua - Lost City Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    If he didn't see you on his mini map and/or couldn't use a pot in the time it took you to attack then he probably deserved to die. I've never actually been surprise killed in 1vs1, I've been beaten in like a 6vs1 where some fool called his guild to try and get some drops off my pink name (idiot didn't know 'bout my dolls b:victory) and a 2vs1 RQ chase where I was having so much fun I accidentally ran into a third member by accident xD

It's really not hard to get good at surviving in LC b:laugh
    Mua - 8x WF - Conqueror
  • Monsoon - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Alright, thanks for the help. This is probably another horrible beginner question, but are there [free] banks to put inventory excess in? And does Lost City really seem more empty?
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    honestly, if it wasen't for my friend i would of chosen a PvP server, but i chose a PvE one. but PvE is still fun, there's still PKing for the higher lvls. And SOOO much drama from TW's
    Back.
  • cryucry
    cryucry Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    ya, enough PK for someone with 4 kills to rank in the top 50. lol @ sanctuary justifying their server.
  • Monsoon - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    How exactly do territory wars work? I take it there are none in PvP?
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    cryucry wrote: »
    ya, enough PK for someone with 4 kills to rank in the top 50. lol @ sanctuary justifying their server.

I said higher levels >.>
    And pelase, i dont want to start arguing abotu this ****ing carebear ****. =/
    Back.
  • Saiena - Heavens Tear
    Saiena - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I think in the end, it depends entirely on how you want to play this game. If you want a bit of added excitement, and like the rush of being on vigil looking at your map for green dots (and don't watch TV, argue on ventrilo, alt-tab and multi-task while in game, like I do), I would recommend Lost City.

If you want to just space out, numb your brain with grinding, and admittedly get bored often, then go PvE. I have too many things to do IRL to be drawn in too much into a game currently, and so playing on a PvE server is perfect. I get addicted for a day, get utterly bored out of my mind by PvE grind, and then leave for a while. A PvP server might keep me longer, but that's counter productive for me. I want to keep the MMO addiction AWAY. ;)

However, if you have an excess of time, and don't take people PK'ing you personally (or periodically dancing on your corpse while saying immature things), and want more excitement, Lost City would be the better pick.
  • Cbastor - Lost City
    Cbastor - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    i reccomend pvp its really fun .and u will get a rush whille pking or getting pked lol
    it would be boring if i just kiled mobs all day so i would say pvp
  • Monsoon - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Can you dodge attacks when PvP'ing? Because it certainly seems like you can't when you're attacking monsters. I know the guides and strategies all talk about battle-tips and how to develop methods to win, but it seems pretty straightforward if you're unable to evade incoming hits.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yes, unlike PvE, evasion is pretty noticeable at PvP when the player has a good amount of it.

Of course, that's just with physical attacks, since magic attacks never miss.
  • Monsoon - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    In other words, whether the player hits is determined by your evasion %? Like, there's no way to dodge attacks by flying, running, swimming, and/or sidestepping to avoid or anything?
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    If you get out of the range of the skill, it will miss.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    In other words, whether the player hits is determined by your evasion %? Like, there's no way to dodge attacks by flying, running, swimming, and/or sidestepping to avoid or anything?

Basically... but I haven't heard of a single mmo with that kind of game engine. You -can- run out of the range of a skill before it finishes casting, but that's about it. PvP/PK are fun, I wouldn't play this game without it.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GustavoM - Heavens Tear
    GustavoM - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    cryucry wrote: »

There's no way to avoid being PK'ed on Lost City, that's why they got more kills. Plus, lrn2use the arena moar k, sup.
    This user does not have enough cash to play on a PvP server.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    There's no way to avoid being PK'ed on Lost City, that's why they got more kills. Plus, lrn2use the arena moar k, sup.

Has the arena been fixed yet? Last time I checked it didn't work. Besides, killing people in the arena doesn't destroy their dolls b:chuckle
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cbastor - Lost City
    Cbastor - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Has the arena been fixed yet? Last time I checked it didn't work. Besides, killing people in the arena doesn't destroy their dolls b:chuckle

i dont use dolls anyway unless red and i pwn u squishy wiz unless i get ganked :(b:sad
  • Methuseleh - Lost City
    Methuseleh - Lost City Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So doubtlessly this question has been posted countless times, however again I'm too lazy to go look it up. Actually, I've tried, but I've found no solid answer. Anyway, I've got very-low-level characters on both Lost City and Sanctuary, and I'm thinking that I'd like to abandon one of them. I was just looking for people's biased opinions on what the better playing-style is, and what the clear differences are (I know that once you turn lvl 30, you become white). It seems that Sanctuary is more crowded, but I don't know if that's a plus. Any suggestions?

Go PvP or u'll be sorry. PvE sucks. its for people who....nm i dont wanna start offending ppl. if u wanna play the game the way it was meant to be played go pvp. if u want a toned down kiddie version go pve. its kinda like playing with an invincibility ****.
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    This thread was dead for over 2 months, 12-3-08 till today, any responses directly at people are meaningless now
    b:bye