Worked Fine Yesterday. Now Won't Load.

XSLAVEx - Lost City
XSLAVEx - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Support Desk
I just downloaded the game yesterday. After some trouble getting past the "Create Character" Crash (rolling back my ATI driver to 7.7 from what I read on the forum), everything went fine and I was able to play just fine.

Now today I get home and the second I hit "start" after the game verifies version (version 40), the screen goes black for a second like the game is gonna load but then just flips back to my normal desktop and nothing happens.

Help? From what I understand, here is the info you may ask for.

Thanks...

~~~

System Tab - System Information box -
Operating System : Windows XP (5.1, Build 2600)
Processor : AMD Athlon (tm) 3200+, MMX, 3Dnow ~2.2GHz
Memory : 1024MB RAM

Display Tab - device box -
Name: ATI All-in-Wonder X800 Series
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4A4B)
Approx Total Memory: 256 MB

Display Tab - driver box -
Main Driver : ati2dvag.dll
Version : 6.14.0010.6727
Date: 9/29/07 03:06:18
Post edited by XSLAVEx - Lost City on

Comments

• gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    The Catalyst 7.7s should read July 19, 2007 or around that time period, I think. Can you uninstall your current drivers completely (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, look for something about ATi or Radeon), and the install the 7.7s again?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JIMxBEAM - Lost City
    JIMxBEAM - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    The Catalyst 7.7s should read July 19, 2007 or around that time period, I think. Can you uninstall your current drivers completely (Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, look for something about ATi or Radeon), and the install the 7.7s again?

Actually, I think I figured it out. I re-installed the 7.7 drivers on a whim and it worked fine. But when I shutdown my PC, it gave me the "install updates and shutdown" option...which it also did after the first day I played, even though the computer didn't say it had any updates to install the whole time it was on.

I think my driver is getting reset to the newer version when the PC shuts down. So yeah...I may have to get rid off all the drivers and install ONLY the 7.7

Thank you.

P.S.Sorry, I am the original poster. Found out early on that I had misplaced some spirit points, so started a new character.
  • gattsuru
    edited December 2008
    Ew. That's a problem. Hopefully the uninstalls will work; if not, contact us. There is a way to prevent those drivers from updating. Not pretty, but better than using inefficient drivers for a given device.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JIMxBEAM - Lost City
    JIMxBEAM - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Okay, so yeah...my PC keeps updating the driver (to the newer version that doesn't work with this game). I can keep reinstalling the 7.7 driver every day, but obviously would rather not.

What I deleted off the "Add/Remove Programs" list was "ATI Display Driver". But there is also "ATI-Software Uninstall Utility", "ATI Control Panel" and "ATI Decoder" on the list. I did NOT delete those...should I have deleted one or more of them?

Incidentally, when I shut down last night, I opted for the normal shut down, as opposed to the "install updates and shutdown" from windows. Nevertheless, it updated the driver.

Please advise. Or, how do I contact you, as you mentioned?
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Send Tech Support a ticket here: http://support.perfectworld.com/ticketing

and describe your issues in detail the best that you can.

If you know how to include a dxdiag.txt file attached to your ticket, that would save us one less email b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • gattsuru
    edited December 2008
    Please advise. Or, how do I contact you, as you mentioned?

Well, a PM or posting on the boards usually works.

There's no real elegant way to eliminate a nasty driver. Uninstalling the Control Panel and Uninstall Utility may help, but the most reliable method is to completely remove the individual driver files for the post-7.7 version after installing the 7.7 Catalysts. The safest way to do that would be a variety of DriverCleaner, but their main site seems to be down at the moment.

And, of course, the tech support folk can probably give you more directed advice regarding this issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.