Chances of Etherblade being released?

Antiport - Sanctuary
Antiport - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
So I wanted to see people's opinions on the chances of the etherblade server opening with the expansion on December 3rd. I really hope it does b:laugh
Post edited by Antiport - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Misstaken - Heavens Tear
    Misstaken - Heavens Tear Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    So I wanted to see people's opinions on the chances of the etherblade server opening with the expansion on December 3rd. I really hope it does b:laugh

Why does it matter?
    I used to do drugs, I still do but I used to too.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Why does everyone want a new pvp server when the old one isn't full yet.

Jealous of the pve ones?
    Afraid of the competiotion, why would u want to play on pvp then anyways?
  • Antiport - Sanctuary
    edited November 2008
    maybe bc people just joining the game wanna be part of a new and upcoming group of characters instead of joining servers that have lvl 80+ ppl already?
    edited November 2008
    Sooo basicly you want the upper hand so you can dominate? Working for it and joining a existing guild doesnt work for you?
  • tinmanasd
    tinmanasd Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    woot new server!!!!!
  • Antiport - Sanctuary
    edited November 2008
    Sooo basicly you want the upper hand so you can dominate? Working for it and joining a existing guild doesnt work for you?

and who doesn't want the upper hand so they can dominate? joining a guild is nice, but the people who are high lvl have been putting in the work since day 1.

but...looking at the results of this poll so far, all the people who think its coming out with the expansion are lvl 30 or lower, while the other voters are 50+ lol looks grim
  • Byr - Lost City
    Byr - Lost City Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    theyve said itll open if they need to because of population on other servers....so far it doesnt call for it so i wouldnt hold my breath.
  • peregryn
    peregryn Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    theyve said itll open if they need to because of population on other servers....so far it doesnt call for it so i wouldnt hold my breath.

that so far has been the word from GM and MOD staff, that the fourth server would likely be PvP and open when/if population on Lost City Warranted a second PvP server. Additional note is that when/if it does open the Server name will likely 'not' be Etherblade
    Perhaps the greatest secret to getting along with others lies in learning to respect their opinion(s) even while you disagree with them.
  • Showboat - Lost City
    Showboat - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    The most important reason why they haven't released access to the other server is because they are using it to test the new expansion. Once they release the expansion, if they do not release the server for public usage, then it will just sit idle most of the time, causing a drain on the companies resources. If they were smart, they would release it with the expansion, as there is sure to be a major influx of players upon release, and even more when the new server opens, if only becuase it offers an equal opportunity for new players and those wanting a fresh start. And as they should realize, more players equals potentially more money as people charge their zen. So, it's their choice, either let the server sit idle for a long time, letting a multi-thousand dollar server go to waste, or open it and start making more money as soon as they can. Which do you think the company would prefer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Seeing that Lost City never hit the "high population" status, while Heaven Tear's and Sanctuary does, it's likely that a new PvE server will open sooner than a new PvP server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
    edited November 2008
    uhm lol, the "server" is a software program. All 4 "servers" can potentially run on one computer. And even if it does run on its own dedicated machine they are not going to rent a new pc just to sit there until they have the playerbase to warrrant opening another server.
    So few things doesnt make sense there, 99% of companies rent servers on a ad hoc basis. Most onlines games have multiple servers running on a single computer.
    The new PVE sanctuary sever grew to about the same size as the original PVP server grew since its release in a fraction of the time. So if the company wants to make money(and they do) chances are VERY high that if a new server opens its going to be another PVE one.

Not sure about the claims of testing the expansion either, I haven't seen any official word on this anywhere.

I doubt the new expansion will cause lots of new players to join just because of that, i see it more as a new thing for the existing players.
  • Showboat - Lost City
    Showboat - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Servers are computers, there is no way to have more than one "server" on one cpu. What more than one cpu has for other companies are "channels" that are under a single server. As far as I can tell, PWI does not use the channel system, letting everyone have the ability to see and interact with one another on the same server. Servers are just another name for monster computers with mega processing power, there is no way that there can be more than one server on the same unit with the amount of traffic due to the enormous player base of PWI. I do agree with you, however, that the server may be turned into a PVE server, even if the process of turning the PVP server (as it was in Closed Beta) into a PVE server is a somewhat complicated process.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Generally, the less servers the better. All they do is splitting up the community. I can see the need to separate the PKers from the PvE crowd (thank god for that!), but other than that, they really should open a new server only if the others are filled to capacity. And looking at the population, chances are that it will be a 3rd PvE one, rather than another PK server.

To the poster above me, the servers you are talking about is servers as in hardware, but the hardware has nothing to do with how many PW servers are running on it. In fact you could run all 3 existing PW servers on one physical machine (or rather a cluster), if it was strong enough. PW servers are just applications like any other. Besides, the hardware is very much irrelevant for the discussion at hand. And finally, I bet that turning a PvE server into a PvP one and vice versa isn't complicated, but probably takes 5 mins of work and changing a few lines in some config file and wiping the database (in case there is data on that server already).. so...

And last but not least, I can't see why it would be a problem if new players start on the same server where already are experienced players on. They won't play together most of the time anyway and even be in very different areas. In the end, there is no reason at all for opening a server at this time, except maybe for the people who came late to the game and now want a new server so that they can be the highest leveled person on it, which is super-silly anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]