Expensive?

algandars
algandars Posts: 2 Arc User
edited December 2008 in Archer
Hey, I haven't been playing too long, but from what I read on the forums and past experiences with other MMO's, archers seem to be really expensive to play.

Would it be smarter to level up a different class and start an archer when I have the money, or is it fine to just start out with one and hope for the best?

Thanks.
Post edited by algandars on

Comments

• Bombchu - Lost City
    Bombchu - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Archer doesn't have to be expensive, if you play it right. Its a good idea to make life powders and focus powders though (which just means farming some herbs) so you can avoid buying a lot of potions, and also conserving your mp better. (What I do is start with aim low or stunning arrow (you won't get these until later though so lower levels may be a little expensive) and hit with normal arrows, and then knockback when they come at me, and normal arrows again. If the happen to LIVE long enough to get to me, I use winged pledge.

This way it saves money on buying mp pots. Around 4x the most I had was abou 700k though, I'm not really sure how good or not this is compared to other classes and archers, but at least I have never had money problems, just can't buy a lot of legendar stuff or anything yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Nostalgia]
    The Brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    theyre not that expensive, dont be scarred by others
  • Nevermore - Heavens Tear
    Nevermore - Heavens Tear Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    theyre not that expensive, dont be scarred by others

Sure they aren't if you

a) have a veno to fund you
    b) have a nice stack of $
    c) Have a sugar daddy spoiling you rotten

anyone saying different hax.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    havent haxed, havent bought 1(or any amount) zen havent gotten any handouts ( 3 TW reimbursements are argueable, but must most all of it was a reimbursment) have actually handed out money and items to faction mates before
    grind armor set, pvp armor set , +3 legendary wep, and already have some of the mats for my lvl 80 stuff , that and a few million coins (enough saved to get my 80 wep +5 and then some), bracers of blood moon.
    and dont say ive relied on my faction for stuff because although Elysium ain't dead well..ya know

jones helped archers a lot, no its not as easy anymore without it ,but it still aint bad
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Archers can be extremely cheap depending on how you play. Barbarians and clerics are the most expensive because in fb's and hh instances the tanks eat hp heiro and the clerics eat mp heiro where as the archer just wastes arrows which are cheap. In terms of pve, once you are 60+ you barely get hit by your mobs. If you level wing barrier you can use this to gain mana if you let it run its entire duration. The only expensive thing about archers is pvp. Archers lack defense and if you are pure dex you lack hp too. To compensate for lack of hp you would have to refine your armors and add soulstones. In reality this isnt even that expensive as long as you dont **** money away.. archers can be very cheap I have spent 20 zen on this game pure dex level 83 and I have lots of hp.
    btw the 20 zen went to a mount and wasting trumpets on world chat >.>
  • rugal
    rugal Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I'm lv 51 and it really isn't expensive at all. I have 1.8 million in bank and a 1.7 million bikini bottoms on me, it really is only expensive if you zhen from what I heard.

Focus powders help a lot. Just do the math: You can buy a focus powder for around 3.5k and it lasts 10 mins. Kill 2 monsters for their dragon quest and you ALREADY paid for the focus powder, the rest is pure profit. With a focus powder you can unleash your whole combo and easily kill any mob your level, remember when you meditate you get 2x regen so you might need to rest a COUPLE of secs if you MP rarely dips too low. Life powders go for around 2.5k each and it's the same deal: get one dragon quest drop in that 10 mins it's active and the rest is pure profit. Arrows cost nothing, skills cost a lot but it's the same for every class, and cold arrow and knockback arrow doesn't need to be leveled much, since the +dmg per level is minimal.

I did hear it archer was expensive when I get higher level, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe if you use mana pots after every combo but if you have a brain you'll use focus powder or the lv 4-5 apocathery 100 mp/sec one. They're not that expensive and it easily pays itself off during the 10 mins of farming.
  • Torinchibi - Lost City
    Torinchibi - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Archers can be expensive simply grinding, or they can be the cheapest class when grinding, and that can make or break you if you don't make money in other ways.
    Honestly, I used the most expensive arrows I can buy until maybe lvl 60, then once I got my good weapon at that level I stopped using expensive arrows and I was making 1m+ per day just grinding to next level. I always had a very sound PVE strategy though. Many don't use Frost Arrow and instead go for stun, but I went with lvl 10 frost arrow, which uses only 84mp, then normal atk until monster gets close enough to atk and use knockback if I have to. Right now, I can easily level on flying mobs higher level (without jones blessing) and still not get hit 4/5 mobs, and with buffs, and only using frost arrow 1ce per mob it means no mp usage. Of course missing once or critting once will determine if I get hit or not, but I would say pure profit while grinding(especially when using cheapest arrows) could make you pretty rich.

On the flip side, if you decide to zhen all day or use expensive arrows and full skill combos all the time, you will end up paying a lot of money which could be saved.
  • rugal
    edited December 2008
    Yep, frost arrow and knockback are great skills that are cheap mana wise. When you use life powder you can afford to take a few hits instead of using more expensive skills to finish them off before they get to you.

Honestly though, buying anything other than regular arrows is a scam. +20 phys atk instead of +3 on lv 2 arrows? What difference does it make when your bow is like 200-600 phys atk on lv 45. Using the lv 2arrows you find on the ground is fine though because at most you can resell them for 4 coin.
  • pabling
    pabling Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    actually, the only thing that will make u spend as much as cleric (well, much more really) is when u zhen, cause arrow bombard uses much more mp in a matter of time if compared to the blue ball clerics are using, aside from zhenning, i think the only cost of archers at 60+ are their arrows....well we can put also the mp which we consume a bit much while grinding.. for hp pots, actually u dont need this, u can rely on hp pots which mobs drops....

so if u are trying to save money for skills etc, dont zhen (since we can grind better in air mobs 5 lvl's above from us which give an average of 500-1.2k per mob (starting from foxwing supreme)). just grind 2-2.5 hrs and u will have the same result as a zhenning in 1 hr.

*note: we need exp scroll if we gonna do that 500+ exp per mob
    (well, we dont need this yet until 1.5% exp boost is finish)

happy grinding b:victory
  • Torinchibi - Lost City
    Torinchibi - Lost City Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    If it takes you 2-2.5 hrs to get as much exp as 1hr zhen, you are doing it wrong. It takes 1.5 hours at most. Remember that everyone that zhens uses exp scrolls though.

After level 60, and maybe evne before, you can use the cheap arrows and not waste money, they don't make that much of a dmg difference.
  • Wolfie_ - Heavens Tear
    Wolfie_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I have found my archer very cheap, in fact he is funding my level 50 barb. I have really spent much money on my armor because simple i don't get hit much. because I level so fast i don't waste money on 3 stars. I only thing i buy for my archer is Bows and pots. Winged Shell keeps me form using up to much mp. And it help me form taking to much damage if the mobs does get up close. I am a little spoiled because my faction has a lot a hand me down items. Now If you want to be broke as hell make a tank.
  • rugal
    edited December 2008
    Not a big fan of Winged Shell, especially not for the mana regen part. Considering how much mana it costs, the mana you gain isnt much,like 40-90. Id rather use chi to do Aim Low and kill em before they hurt me. And I guess at higher levels when you have 2k + life, the damage it protects is not so great, protects from 1 or 2 hits?

Focus powders are all you need , it regens even when I use a deadly shot combo. Youll take a few blows so you need HP pots (from monster archers and mages)but it's really not expensive. I think theyre more cost effective than using 300k gold charms, not sure though. Have to see how much mana you use in 10 mins.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    rugal wrote: »
    Not a big fan of Winged Shell, especially not for the mana regen part. Considering how much mana it costs, the mana you gain isnt much,like 40-90. Id rather use chi to do Aim Low and kill em before they hurt me. And I guess at higher levels when you have 2k + life, the damage it protects is not so great, protects from 1 or 2 hits?

Focus powders are all you need , it regens even when I use a deadly shot combo. Youll take a few blows so you need HP pots (from monster archers and mages)but it's really not expensive. I think theyre more cost effective than using 300k gold charms, not sure though. Have to see how much mana you use in 10 mins.

at higher lvls you only get hit 0-1 times per mob really so that protecting form 2 hits +146 mana aint that bad,basically lets you kill 2 mobs without using skills and gives ya 146 mana for free (well 45 chi but u get that back in 3 kill +you can use take aim trick)
  • SupportAngel - Heavens Tear
    SupportAngel - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Well I found my archer very expensive maybe because I manufacture weapons from lvl 30 to gain lvl3 blacksmith skill. The purpose was my bow, and its quite good I think (+16physical atk, +2 DEX,+20hp and has a chance to increase accuracy). Ive wasted like 400k on this stuff maybe because am just too lazy to get it all by myself, but to be honest I harvested like 70% of the stuff, mostly high-carbon steel and rough fur. Had difficulties to find glue and that is the reason why Iam boroke. b:laugh Plus I had to buy like 100hp and 20mp pots every day so I wont die. I like being an archer tho.
    -- I disagree with what you say. But I will fight to the death for your right to say it --
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    you spent 400k? and then harvest 70% so total cost would have been 1.2mil +?? for that you could have got a legendary (sinister shooter) and have a lot left over
  • SupportAngel - Heavens Tear
    SupportAngel - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Keep in mind that Iam lvl 34 so I don't need sinister =P, and I have started manufacturing weps at lvl 30 so i spent 400k overall buying high carbon steel OR copper bar (which is like 20k), plus other mats I haven't harvested like rough fur. That was the cost, the 70% I harvested. That stands about for weps I made on lvl1 and 2 blacksmith. If u get me b:victory
    -- I disagree with what you say. But I will fight to the death for your right to say it --
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rugal
    edited December 2008
    Quest bows are too good already for me (up til lv 58 for now).I dont have blacksmith, just shop in player shops for good bows ;p

Although + accuracy is nice, archers hit % is always 94% + anyway.