Dealing with people having stupid names.

Comments

• Sepulchre - Sanctuary
    Sepulchre - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    nothappy wrote: »
    As for your description of our encounter...please allow me to set the record straight. I went to the architect to grind with the intention of finding a squad or players wanting to complete this quest. While there I spotted a group hovering above and asked "If you have room, please invite." At this point I received no reply. Waited for a few minutes and said in chat "Looking for a squad for architect." Again, as is all too common in this game, no reply. At this point Kimyrielle and her guild mates were engaging the architect in battle. I rode over on my panther and said “Thank you for the invite.” This apparently sparked some emotion from their leader. She whispered “I was afk so I didn’t see it but since you asked so politely.” To which I replied in chat “I did ask politely, but your guild lacks the game etiquette to respond.” She then whispered “And because of your name or lack of.” They went on to finish their kill; however their leader did suffer a death and loss of xp while doing so. At this point I whispered “Karma, hence your loss of xp, what goes around…”

If that is what you call furious, well that just goes hand in hand with what you call stupid.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.”

Don't have to judge you by the cover (IGN) you're talking like this demonstrates who you are perfectly.

Thanks for letting us all know this chars IGN so we can avoid.

Cheers!
    Saidje
  • InstantMoney - Heavens Tear
    InstantMoney - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Even if someone would have name Gaylord I wouldn't ingore that person. Name can't be so important! b:sweat How can name matter so much? Name doesn't tell about anyone. I think it is better to help everyone not only them who has "good" name. My name AutumnFlower in here is not very good (maybe) but it doesn't matter me. -.-'' It is not fair to just choose to help "good persons who has good name" and then ingore "bad persons who has bad name"... Helping can't be so hard. I think helping is just fun even if your name is jkdwfewg I would still help you. o.O I really think that helping is fun no one ever says "Thank you!" but I am still helping. ._.''

In life, first impressions very important. The way you look, talk, or act can directly affect the way people react to you in RL. People may not want to admit it, but I think most people judge others around them based on their first impression. In PWI your name is your first impression that you leave with people in the game. A name can be an inside look into some ones personality. There are alot of people with personalities that I would choose not to be around. For me, I look at names as a filter for people I want to be around. If you have a name that I find offensive, lewd, or just plain dumb, I wont even acknowledge you. You made the choice to use that name. I am making the choice to not associate with you if I don't like your name. Your name is an extension of your personality.
    "One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets."
    Ali G
  • nothappy
    nothappy Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    "nothappy" should change his name to "IamEmo".

Is this an attempt at getting your post count up, or just a way to prove how limited your intellect is and how little you have to contribute to the community?
    Don't have to judge you by the cover (IGN) you're talking like this demonstrates who you are perfectly.

Thanks for letting us all know this chars IGN so we can avoid.

Cheers!
    Saidje

Aside from proving you lack the ability to use proper grammar, what was the intention behind your post? Saying you would avoid someone from another server? Was this thread so compelling that it caused you to think that you would somehow cross paths with players on another server in game? Or do you just lack the common sense to know when to keep quiet?

Some words of advice to the two of you: “It’s better to sit quietly and let people think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth (in this case – use your keyboard) and prove them right.”
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    rewriting this because the quote messed up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    To nothappy:

I have a few things to say about your response, but I'm going to shorten it because I'm getting tired of typing it out.

First: Your "advice" is ridiculously overused in games like this, and is far from making you sound intelligent.

Second: Don't get on people about their grammar. This is an international game, and although most people do their best to speak English, it is not always their primary language. So next time, before you act like your above other people, shut up and think.

Third: Being on a different server has nothing to do with it, the individual was only saying that they would want nothing to do with you, so stop stretching the argument into something it isn't.

Finally: Stop trying to make yourself sound smart. Although it's obvious you're not stupid, now that you have opened YOUR mouth you have shown what a royal pain you would be as a party member. So who was it that lacked common sense? I'm not much for someone coming and jumping all over people's opinions, which is what these are. You seem to be the one with the biggest problem here, which is quite funny really, as I would have had no issue with your IGN at all.

edit: finally it worked after removing the quotes and shortening it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • kotonoha
    kotonoha Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I don't care much about names, unless the name grosses me out, or it seems overly pretentious or trying too hard or something like that. Even then I'd probably help out if I could, assuming the request was a reasonable one.
    Hypocrisy bothers me, though...
  • InstantMoney - Heavens Tear
    InstantMoney - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    You should take your own advice to heart, nothappy.
    "One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets."
    Ali G
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    Rosewhite - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    You should take your own advice to heart, nothappy.

Lol....so true, so true. nothappy = hypocrite
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon...
  • morthonious
    morthonious Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Ok, here's my two cents...I'll be 31 tomorrow, and as a general rule, I like to game with other mature players...nothing against joking but if I happen to party with someone who's constantly making **** jokes, or references, that's going to get old quick...so If you are making a judgement about the person (behind the pc) based off of his/her name then yeah that's silly. If you are however making that decision to create a good gaming experience and atmosphere for yourself, then I completely understand.
  • Anwyn_Mai - Lost City
    Anwyn_Mai - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    But what do you mean by "stupid name"? I mean...yes, sometimes names can be chosen without imagination, but that does not mean they are stupid. Besides, my concept of stupid may be entirely diferent to other people's...

I think that character's names are an important part of them and they do express something about the player...but I would not go as far as rejecting someone because of a name. I mean, they might be awsome players and someone else with a "cool name" might be an epic fail. b:scorn

But...as said. Your guild, your rules.
  • morthonious
    morthonious Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    "nothappy" should change his name to "IamEmo".

Sorry, I know this subject is now a dead horse, and in no way am I taking sides. I made my opinion known. I just about pissed myself when I read this though. Issue aside I got a big kick out of this.
  • Sereniama - Heavens Tear
    Sereniama - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I think you have a stupid name.

Look at it this way, See my name? My name doesn't even make scene but you know what? I think you should stop being such a "Meanie Weedy" ***hole about it. I seen many stupid names in my life and you know what? I don't even care. I think it should be the PERSONALTY that matters, not the name its self. So why bother if you have a stupid name? Your still human or w/e.

Everyone has stupid names and it seriously dont matter. So why cant we just accept the fact when we all have stupid names? I don't seriously care.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sou Sou Moutoku = The most badass **** in Anime History. Never diss Kohime Musou or die.
  • Veltore - Heavens Tear
    Veltore - Heavens Tear Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I've carried my name from game to game.I've seen lots of different names come and go.I don't know how many Legolas/lego azz/ frodas/ frodas/azz. If they can play thier toon they can play them.Some people just get bored and want to get a laugh.(case in point my one freind made a female rogue named Backdoorr.He was a power gamer and just named his toon for fun.That was his alt and a diversion for his monontanous fear kiting main.He still knew all his stuff,but just needed a diversion.

Now,I'm not condoning stupid names.I'm just giving an example.Hell it could be a 10 year old with the name XxxpwnyouandurmomzxxX or it could be someone with a water cooled super computer being your partner/squad mate.It all goes back to the saying don't judge a friend like a book,and it's cover.(You may miss a friend you may miss a lover)

((had to throw that in there.))
    HUH HUH HUH HUH

Godbless Lamar Latrell
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daibar
    daibar Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I don't see what's wrong with prejudging people by their names. Its purely your own choice. Sometimes you'll miss an opportunity, many times you won't.

Honestly, I'd love it if there were a pure RPG server.

I can see why someone would be angry, but it's not like they're entitled to join just because.
  • Sepulchre - Sanctuary
    Sepulchre - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    nothappy wrote: »
    Is this an attempt at getting your post count up, or just a way to prove how limited your intellect is and how little you have to contribute to the community?

Aside from proving you lack the ability to use proper grammar, what was the intention behind your post? Saying you would avoid someone from another server? Was this thread so compelling that it caused you to think that you would somehow cross paths with players on another server in game? Or do you just lack the common sense to know when to keep quiet?

Some words of advice to the two of you: “It’s better to sit quietly and let people think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth (in this case – use your keyboard) and prove them right.”

So why didn't you?

This isn't English or Grammar class - my dear. Stow it.

Saidje
  • Cawti - Heavens Tear
    Cawti - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I don't discriminate against XxnamexX players, as I've had to do it myself when my coveted favorite character names have been taken. Sometimes I form RP roles with them, and I will take my favorite "roles" to other games. And on a game like PWI, there's just too many people to truly get the name you want. With my first character, I went through 25 names that I really, really wanted- and they were all taken. I then started picking up my favorite books and grabbing character names from there (sad but true) and guess what.... Also taken. These days it's just too hard for some people to pick an "original" name, because there are SO many players doing the exact same thing.
    On the other hand, I have seen names that I wish there was a GM ticket to complain about. Drug references, sexually demeaning, etc., and I think something does need to be done about them : / People with the immaturity to make a name like those probably don't have the maturity to interact with the rest of the PWI population. Not talking about banning, unless they've done it so many times it's obvious they haven't learned their lesson- but at least a warning to delete the char, maybe, and if it's not done, a force deletion. This sort of thing shouldn't be tolerated, as, like I mentioned, a lot of people play. People from all over the world, with different religions and beliefs. People who make a mockery of others in that fashion should hit the road.
  • Tara - Lost City
    Tara - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    The thing is that this game, while acknowledging that the vast majority of all players here never actually do it, is a still a roleplaying game. Now, I really don't care about the 10,000th Legolas or Drizzt running loose, or somebody using humorous names ("Randomchick".. *giggles*) or even the "XxXNameXxX" things people tend to make out of desperation that their desired name is already taken. But if somebody names their chars after a known mass murderer for example (I _have_ seen a "Himmler" on this server, among other things) that's far over the top. The person in question didn't do that, they didn't have _any_ name at all. Like as in special characters and nothing else. To me, that's just showing disrespect to anyone who's trying to get a roleplay-like immersion with this game. And yes, like another poster indicated above, I tend to make assumptions about a person who'd chose a name like that. And I am sure I wouldn't want to help them killing a boss.

If you read the TOS its bannable to have names like Adolf Hitler, Jesus, Satan, Osama Bin Laden, ArrowInAss, etc yet i still see them in game the Gms are very slack on the name subject in my opinion i guess there busy in other ways but it should be bannable to have names with spaces in if you cannot Pm the person they can abuse that... my 2 cents worth
  • snowowl
    snowowl Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Everyone has a right to group (or not) with whomever they wish. I've grouped with many people who have ended up ruining what would otherwise have been a fun and prosperous adventure.

The name that someone chooses for their character says something about that person. Granted, it can be frustrating to come up with a name that you like that is not already taken. But the name that someone eventually selects still reflects upon that person.

When a random person wants to be included in a group, you have very little to base your decision upon. The way in which the person asks to be included is, imo, the most important criteria you have. The name of the person is about the only other info you have to work with.

If a person asking to join a group has a name which I consider to be offensive, annoying, immature, l33t, or otherwise indicative of a player which I would not enjoy grouping with, then I do not group with that individual.

It may not be fair but that's the price of an ill-conceived character name.
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I can agree on the XxXXx names and things of the like, it's annoying to type but again, It's not a reason for me to reject them from my party.

'Stupid names' can only ever be based on one's opinion, But I like to keep that sort of thing to myself. Ridiculous names though, sometimes do tell me what this player is like. If they had a name like xXx1M1337xXx and they're calling me a noob and yelling at me to invite them to my squad, then obviously it's a no >.>

My name has a personal meaning to me, but someone else can take one look at it and go wtfomglololol what a stupid name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Originalsin - Sanctuary
    Originalsin - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Anyone can have the opinon that any name is stupid, wther you party them or not is your choice.

i look at it like this, if its stupid to me, oh well, it might have meaning to the person using it, and i don't judge them by their in game name. seriously, if your gonna judge them by the NAME they have and NOT the personality that they have, then congratulations, your part of whats known as "the bandwagon", people who stereotype randome and complete ********.

this needs to be said, A NAME MEANS NOTHING EXCEPT TO THE PERSON THAT CARRYS IT!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    WiccanWay Recruiting ACTIVE lvl40+ players, PM or mail Dylann for more information. Thank you.
  • TitTees_ - Sanctuary
    TitTees_ - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    It's nice to know, not only are we discriminating each other because of gender, race, orientation, etc. we are also discriminating against online names.

I've been refused a friend request approval because of my name. He merely denied my request and said, "what the **** is that?" Then again, I would rather not have this person on my friends list. Yes, I get comments all the time about my name, whether it be bad or good comments - majority is mostly, "I can't stop laughing at your name" - but I personally do not think that should obstruct you from getting to know that certain individual.

I've met some of the greatest people on PW, and some of them have pretty ridiculous names - names that I would consider an annoyance, but I got over it.

As Originalsin said, a name means nothing except to the person that carries it. That certainly is my case. TitTees happens to be my nickname, as well as a way to pronounce my real name (incase anyone was wondering why my name is so vulgar, or weird for that matter.)

But unfortunately, what is the definition of stupid, good, bad, evil, perfect, beautiful, and ugly? It all depends on the individual. This kind of discrimination will continue to live on, whether we like it or not.
  • Nicestuff_Ty - Heavens Tear
    Nicestuff_Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Directed to the person that made this chat: ROFL.

I guess it's all based on the person, I find stupid names to be amusing because I find it's just a name it makes me laugh. I got a sense of humour so obviously I'd invite the person if they needed the boss, Its just not proper to leave someone sitting there begging for help and turned down because some no sense of humour person couldn't bare that persons name. You don't even have to speak to the person or be there friend, just help them out it's polite. Now as for Role-Playing I hope you don't mean where you literally act like this game is real or based on some sad anime that viewed for a season n dropped, If you are then I suggest you whisper that person that you turned down n apologize literally. Who cares if the persons name is Adolf,Bigjugs,xXx(we'll censor this one)xXx and such, It's there account let them name it the way they wanna name it and let GM's decide if its to be changed or not. Maybe that person didn't like your name? Would you feel good if a party came upto you and had a spot open and you've been waiting at that boss for an HR yet they turn you down because they didn't like your name? No you wouldn't feel to great, Sure buddy will get whispers calling him a jerk or what ever names people want to use but he/she had that coming once they clicked 'Done'. I find your decision was pathetic,ignorant,low and more but you get the idea.. Thats just my opinion b:pleased
    I like when I say stuff that make kids go b:cryb:cryb:cryb:cry.

Love,
    TenderMeat. b:kiss (New character, retired this BM)
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    As they say, it is up to you who to help.. but not helping on the basis of a name? Maybe the person had no imagination when choosing a name, but unless you give them a chance and maybe see the name has nothing to do with the type of person they are, you will never know if you have just lost the chance to meet someone who might turn out to be the nicest and most loyal friend you could have. As the bard put it.. "What's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet. "
    b:question
  • Ocane_II - Heavens Tear
    Ocane_II - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    just let them do what they pleased its a slaved world but our minds our free so let it be
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Its just not proper to leave someone sitting there begging for help and turned down because some no sense of humour person couldn't bare that persons name.

Thing is that humor is a highly subjective matter and what some people find hilarious, others will find tasteless and/or utterly unfun. Keep that in mind when you expect people to react to your humor the same way you do, because chances are, not all will. Sometimes I have told jokes to my friends I considered great fun but nobody laughed. At the same time I never will be able to laugh at any vulgar joke ever, but I know some people can break up when hearing them.

A few people here mentioned that judging people by their names is stereotyping and stereotyping is a bad thing. You are right, in an ideal world, we wouldn't do that, but the world doesn't work that way, nor can it. We "stereotype" all the time in real life. Bankers are wearing ugly pieces of clothing called a "tie" because stereotype has it that people wearing suit and tie are competent. We associate people driving a BMW to be sporty drivers and people playing golf as boring snobs, whether or not it might be true for a particular person. In the end, stereotyping like that is a sort of filtering information based on probability figures.
    For example, experience told me that people using "1337 sp34k" tend to be immature of the sort I don't want to have any dealings with, so I am going to project this knowledge onto anyone using it. It's the only logical thing to do, since it's going to prevent me wasting my and their time just to find out that the next 1337 sp34ker is immature as well. It could be that I am wrong with the next person, though, and in reality they are a rocket scientist with 180IQ using 1337 sp34k for a laugh. Does it make stereotyping wrong, knowing that in 90% of all cases you're right on the spot with it? I don't think so. Stereotyping is bad if based on wrong facts (like the famous "blondes are dumb" nonsense), but if your facts are right, it's actually applied math, nothing else.

I didn't party with this person not because of his name itself, because my projected experience made me assume that I wouldn't find his company enjoyable. His postings in this thread proved I was right. I would make the same assumption about anyone having names written in ALL CAPS, 1337 sp34k or with vulgar references. And I do regret the say 10% of situations when the assumption made about a particular person is in fact wrong. But it does spare me making bad experiences with people I won't like in the other 90% of all cases, still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GhosT. - Lost City
    GhosT. - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    yea i realise wat Kim is saying, sometimes i see people with really random names lol but i dont thnk its any reason to reject them from a party or help they need, however this is just my view on it. If your the squad leader its your choice whether or not to invite a player.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • loksie
    loksie Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Im not one to usually post but in my opinion people who dont make an effort with there name or there just pure anarchists who want to be different fine thats your choice but! when people dont invite you in groups thats your choice you made for being the archanist individual think that clears up the whole subject bye also sorry for no puntuations lol im drunk. omg i rememered full stop.
  • _Shalimar_ - Sanctuary
    _Shalimar_ - Sanctuary Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I've been refused a friend request approval because of my name. He merely denied my request and said, "what the **** is that?"

Awww.... who wouldn' want to get to know you? TitTees_ ftw!
    Disclaimer

I hereby absolve myself from all responsibilities from damage incurred, loss of life, and severe mental retardation from trying to read and/or understand my posts. Please do not come to me about these problems or I shall be forced to stab you with a dull wooden spoon. Enjoy your day. =D
  • Mikoya_echo - Sanctuary
    Mikoya_echo - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    When I see someone with a name I find funny, strange, or stupid (which is actually not that often) I usually whisper to them and ask them why they chose that name. And, since I am a very open person, I usually tell them my views about it.

In the case of teaming up with a person with a "stupid name" I would say, yes, if you infer from the person's name that you wouldn't be able to stand them, don't team with them.

However, I don't understand the ALL CAPS problem. My guild leader has all caps and he's awesome! I can understand the alternating capital-small thing because that can get annoying, but all caps isn't bad.
    Also one of my friends has a name like "I will own you" and she is awesome as well.

So there's my two centsworth.
  • Cheaper - Heavens Tear
    Cheaper - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i dont even read or remember most names.. b:tired
    omg im posting stuff.