Dealing with people having stupid names.

Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
This question is not directed at the GMs at all - but at us, normal members. Because I'd be honestly curious what your stance towards that is and how you personally view it.

Today a guild group went to kill a (pretty nasty) boss. Our team wasn't full, since we were high level enough to kill him anyway. There was a random sitting next to that boss who wanted us to invite him. He had an incredibly stupid character name (which I will not quote in order to respect the person's privacy), so we decided not to take him in. We killed the boss and he went furious (of course).

We usually take anyone in if we have room - just in this particular case, we agreed not to. My stance is that if people chose a stupid name it's their own decision (and the GM's to tolerate it or not), but it's mine whether party up with them or not. And if your char and/or guild name is overly stupid, I won't.

So, I'd be curious if you guys would act similarly or would not care at all. Discuss!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• LordBiorn - Heavens Tear
    LordBiorn - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well, first off...that's a STUPID reason to turn someone down.

Secondly.... do you think your name is smart? Can it read and write? I think not. So, why is your name so much better than the other person?
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I believe it's up to the individual person to decide how they feel about this subject. Some would say who cares, it's just a name, what matters is the player. Others would say that the name a player chooses is an insight into what the player is like in real life.

I suppose I'm more of the latter, as players with overly stupid names do tend to annoy me or turn me off from them.
    Take under consideration that a player's name may seem stupid if it doesn't make sense to you, but it may mean something to the person using it. Those are not the types of names I am referring to. For instance, someone with the c.name sitonadi** probably exists somewhere even though I've never seen it. No way in hell would I invite someone with that name into a party or a faction. What does it say about that person?
    Not everyone has to have a name that sounds like or IS an actual name, but for me there has to be a limit on tolerance for it.

I also get SLIGHTLY annoyed by that whole XxXC.NameXxX thing....but it wouldn't stop me from partying with them by any means. That's just a personal preference and it doesn't tell anything about the individual themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Drussella - Sanctuary
    Drussella - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    If your party found his name reason enough to not let him join, thats your partys perogative.

If you dont want to party with someone you dont need any reason. Would be a bit lame though.

I usualy tread ppl like i want them to tread me.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I could care less about the person's name. While I do find it annoying when a character's name is XsomethingX. I still invite them if they need it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oldblivion
    oldblivion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I haven't started playing this game yet, but I was wondering what you mean by "stupid name".
    Did you mean: name.BR name.PL, PL___x_x___PL, randomcountrytagname, NaMeWrItTeNLiKeThIs, -->=|MA$T3|2|=<-- or did you mean something racist or insulting?

I dislike both kinds.
    When naming characters I usually go with something funny or nothing special at all. My last character's name (on a different game) was Randomchick (as in some random girl, not like THE PENGUIN OF DOOM XOXOXOX RANDOM SPORK!!!11eleven <<if you know what I mean :P >>)

For some unknown reason half of my post disappeared and it won't let me correct it :/
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Your party, your rules.
    No one can force you to invite anyone.
    Name or no name, we didn't even need to know.
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    when i first saw this thread i thought it's about ppl with ilegal names as: A B C with gap between them, cause u can't whisper to those b:surrender
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Kimyrielle - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    Secondly.... do you think your name is smart? Can it read and write? I think not. So, why is your name so much better than the other person?

The thing is that this game, while acknowledging that the vast majority of all players here never actually do it, is a still a roleplaying game. Now, I really don't care about the 10,000th Legolas or Drizzt running loose, or somebody using humorous names ("Randomchick".. *giggles*) or even the "XxXNameXxX" things people tend to make out of desperation that their desired name is already taken. But if somebody names their chars after a known mass murderer for example (I _have_ seen a "Himmler" on this server, among other things) that's far over the top. The person in question didn't do that, they didn't have _any_ name at all. Like as in special characters and nothing else. To me, that's just showing disrespect to anyone who's trying to get a roleplay-like immersion with this game. And yes, like another poster indicated above, I tend to make assumptions about a person who'd chose a name like that. And I am sure I wouldn't want to help them killing a boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    In oracle there was a guy with the name "Adolf" which is a perfectly legit name and nothing ever happened to him. He then got an all class pet and named it Hitler, and then I think something did happen to that pet.
  • Jebbediah - Lost City
    Jebbediah - Lost City Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I think the naming of your charcter is the most important thing u get to choose to do.

I am One of those people that judge you on your name. I wont even reply to people without serious names.and i usualy blacklist the name if i see it pop up too often.

If you cant take up 20 mins to think up an original name I really dont want to know you.I have turned down soo many because of thier overly stupid names.latest haflwit name I did not party with for a boss was named bobonmyknob.

Your completly normal for judging one's character by the name they will to choose.
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    People are always making fun of my char name....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Celestyna - Heavens Tear
    Celestyna - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    People are always making fun of my char name....

I imagine yours is pretty funny when you dual/pk someone though b:laugh

I dont like offensive, racist or sexual type names mainly because i wont say them, i will call them hey you before i call them by thier "name". also I dont really understand calling yourself, say Cleric... everyone knows your a cleric now whats your name??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InstantMoney - Heavens Tear
    InstantMoney - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I think the naming of your charcter is the most important thing u get to choose to do.

I am One of those people that judge you on your name. I wont even reply to people without serious names.and i usualy blacklist the name if i see it pop up too often.

If you cant take up 20 mins to think up an original name I really dont want to know you.I have turned down soo many because of thier overly stupid names.latest haflwit name I did not party with for a boss was named bobonmyknob.

Your completly normal for judging one's character by the name they will to choose.

I agree 100%
    "One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets."
    Ali G
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    In oracle there was a guy with the name "Adolf" which is a perfectly legit name and nothing ever happened to him. He then got an all class pet and named it Hitler, and then I think something did happen to that pet.

b:chuckle I remember seeing the pet and going WTF?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tankado - Heavens Tear
    Tankado - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I always have to frown when i see people have given themselves a royal title as part of their character names, as someone who posted in this thread has done.

And when i see someone on the Heaven's Tear server with an obvious PK name, like IPWNU or something of that nature, it only makes me wonder why they aren't playing on the PK server.

A character name should be a proper name, and not some attempt to represent a phrase.

But I invariably run into the problem at character creation that the name I want is already taken!

LOL I wanted to create a character named Kraftwerk today, but I was kinda surprised that someone else thought of the idea before me. And to be honest its not particularly original or creative, because its the name of a German musical group that I have a few recordings for. And when i tried it as a second choice, I found out that someone had already taken the name "Money" too!

Once I met a woman who's name was Money, made me wonder about the parent's who would name a child like that.
  • Scarag - Heavens Tear
    Scarag - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well I do not belive you should disallow someone from your squad or faction because you think the name is stupid. I do however belive you should disallow them if you find that name offensive. But I have found many people with stupid names happen to be stupid or annoying people and it does not take long for me to kick them out because I cannot stand them right away.

And that you told me he was furious because you did not help him tells much volumes about his character as a real person. You had no obligation to help him and he should have no bad feelings toward you. For this case I am glad you did not allow him in your squad.
  • Blakiepoo - Sanctuary
    Blakiepoo - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    you had every right to not join with anyone for any reason.

It is judgemental to discriminate over a name though. Maybe the player's friend made his/her account and left him/her with a stupid name as a practical joke? There could be lots of reasons. Something like "PRAISEHITLER" is a little different, but I would still say "I'm not inviting you because I disagree with your name", and if they had some explanation then it would work out fine.
  • MorgulLord - Sanctuary
    MorgulLord - Sanctuary Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    No name is stupid. Some might sound funny.... but defnitiely not stupid. Some people are yet to realize that names are often like languages you dont understand. You'll find them funny, usually. You might giggle listening to a few words. But you sure dont say thats a stupid language.

But offensive names, A BIG YES! I well and truly beleive that anyone with an offensive name just showcases his character with that name. I wouldnt want to have anything to do with anyone who finds it cool to sport an offensive name.Period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally...
  • Onishi - Heavens Tear
    Onishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Myself, yes I discriminate against names all the time, xXwhoeverXx, or in other games anything that ends with a number, sure if I'm not leader I won't put up a fuss if one is invited. However People with names that make me cringe, usually have personality or intelligence level that will make me cringe.

How likely I am to give them a shot also depends on how much them doing something stupid can hurt me. Archer for an FB 40 levels below me, if you have tabs I'll tolerate you.

Veno-Barb-Cleric for an FB for my level. No way in hell unless someone I know and trust is going to vouch for you. Otherwise, I aint going unless bribed with guardian angels.
  • Ermosa - Heavens Tear
    Ermosa - Heavens Tear Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    im more annoyed that u cant use space btw letters in name, but u can use other languages letters...i have seen many russians writing their name with russian letters, and i cant type russian letters on my pc...thats not fair
  • nothappy
    nothappy Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    First off, it was a pleasure to know that our encounter touched you deeply and moved you to post about it.

Your thread title 'Dealing with people with stupid names' doesn't apply here, as you have stated, I have no name. My IGN (In Game Name) is just an underscore, which is a legal character to use when creating a toon. I do not have an offensive or as you stated a 'stupid' name. My IGN does not contain illegal characters. You don't like it? TOUGH. I didn't create my character for your approval or I would have named him "PleaseLikeMe" or "BeMyFriend". If my IGN turned you off, then it has done its job, it eliminated me having to deal with narrow-minded individuals such as you and your guild mates. My IGN was chosen with the intent that it would be received with varied emotions, and would help to sift through some of the dirt to find the gems. My toon, my decision.

Continued in next post.
    edited November 2008
    im more annoyed that u cant use space btw letters in name, but u can use other languages letters...i have seen many russians writing their name with russian letters, and i cant type russian letters on my pc...thats not fair

Agree on that. Using special characters in names is actually something the game should prevent from the beginning. However, allowing a single space in a name would enable people to chose a unique name without having to resort to that XxXNameXxX stuff...

I honesty don't understand why you can use numbers in names anyway. There is no legit use for that. Real life names don't have numbers, either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nothappy
    nothappy Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    We killed the boss and he went furious (of course).

As for your description of our encounter...please allow me to set the record straight. I went to the architect to grind with the intention of finding a squad or players wanting to complete this quest. While there I spotted a group hovering above and asked "If you have room, please invite." At this point I received no reply. Waited for a few minutes and said in chat "Looking for a squad for architect." Again, as is all too common in this game, no reply. At this point Kimyrielle and her guild mates were engaging the architect in battle. I rode over on my panther and said “Thank you for the invite.” This apparently sparked some emotion from their leader. She whispered “I was afk so I didn’t see it but since you asked so politely.” To which I replied in chat “I did ask politely, but your guild lacks the game etiquette to respond.” She then whispered “And because of your name or lack of.” They went on to finish their kill; however their leader did suffer a death and loss of xp while doing so. At this point I whispered “Karma, hence your loss of xp, what goes around…”

If that is what you call furious, well that just goes hand in hand with what you call stupid.

“Don’t judge a book by its cover.”
  • uzzdaar
    uzzdaar Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well, first off...that's a STUPID reason to turn someone down.

I disagree I don't take retarted people with retarted names .. if they can't come up with better than "yourmom" or "dddddddfun" thats just sad.

Also I would love to join the movement to have names regulated. I mean come on some are just plain offencive.
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, it seems the forum is eating postings now...

To nothappy: I didn't want to give your name away, that's why I tried to phrase my OP as neutrally as possible. As for the word "furious" - I never said you called us names or anything like that, but you were clearly ... nothappy.

In the end, if you chose your name to keep people like you and people like me apart, it did serve its purpose very well and tells me that we did the right thing. Just don't complain next time about our supposed lack of etiquette, then. After all, you got just what you wanted, no?

I made this thread to get opinions from the broader public on my stance on that and not because I wanted to have a go at you personally anyway. That's all. Have a nice day and no bad feelings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rosewhite - Sanctuary
    Rosewhite - Sanctuary Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I agree with a lot of people on the subject of offensive names. I've seen quite a few names that literly made me what the heck the person was thinking. I think what you did wasn't right, however to nothappy when you make a name like that people are going to get preconcieved ideas about you as a person. People think that because you are on the internet that you won't be judged, I'm sorry to tell you that that is not the way the world works. Maybe next time, you think more about making a name so that this won't happen again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm just a vagabond with flowers for Algernon...
  • Yourmom - Lost City
    Yourmom - Lost City Posts: 1,655 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    uzzdaar wrote: »
    I disagree I don't take retarted people with retarted names .. if they can't come up with better than "yourmom" or "dddddddfun" thats just sad.

Also I would love to join the movement to have names regulated. I mean come on some are just plain offencive.

Its YourMom and dddddfunLOL tyvm.

oh...and what's your IGN if its so much better?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Personally... character names don't matter to me much..
    But guild names... I'd prefer guild names that aren't a sad ripoff of something... or a mixture of upper and lower case letters... doesn't feel like a guild name.

I mean, RageQuit, Moonlight, BloodLusT are great names. They don't go overboard on their upper lower case mixes, and their names actually mean something...

But I don't think I'd actually ever join a guild called "cArEbEaRs" for example.
    Hell I'd rather join just "Carebears" than something like that...

"You just got pked by a carebear. Sorry! Was the cuteness too much?"
  • InstantMoney - Heavens Tear
    InstantMoney - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    "nothappy" should change his name to "IamEmo".
    "One time when me was high, me sold me car for like 24 chicken McNuggets."
    Ali G
  • Autumnflower - Heavens Tear
    Autumnflower - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Even if someone would have name Gaylord I wouldn't ingore that person. Name can't be so important! b:sweat How can name matter so much? Name doesn't tell about anyone. I think it is better to help everyone not only them who has "good" name. My name AutumnFlower in here is not very good (maybe) but it doesn't matter me. -.-'' It is not fair to just choose to help "good persons who has good name" and then ingore "bad persons who has bad name"... Helping can't be so hard. I think helping is just fun even if your name is jkdwfewg I would still help you. o.O I really think that helping is fun no one ever says "Thank you!" but I am still helping. ._.''