game crash...

Options
fractuedpixel
fractuedpixel Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Support Desk
Alright so I just started playing PW and things were going pretty good out in the fields killing them lvl 2 - 3 mobs. I hit lvl 4 easy enough and went into town to sell off my unneeded drops and every time now the game just flat out freezes when I log back in crashing the client. Any idea what might be causing this? btw I have all the current updates for my drivers and direct X 9.c so no clue what is causing this.
Post edited by fractuedpixel on

Comments

• Aryannaveno - Sanctuary
    Aryannaveno - Sanctuary Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Could be several reasons depending on what kind of computer you have.

Check the troubleshooting guide here:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=75572

If that doesn't help you at all please list the following fields from a DXDIAG:
    System Tab - System Information box -
    Operating System :
    Processor :
    Memory :

Display Tab - device box -
    Name:
    Chip Type:
    Approx Total Memory:

Display Tab - driver box -
    Main Driver :
    Version :
    Date:

To open a dxdiag :
    In Vista, type dxdiag in the Start menu search bar
    In other versions of Windows, type dxdiag in the Run command (Start > Run).

Please do not use any symbols other than alphanumerics, commas, and periods.
  • fractuedpixel
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that I just got this past July. PW runs fine as long as I don't enter a town.

System Tab - System Information box -
    Operating System : Windows Vista Home Premium
    Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T5750 @ 2 GHz
    Memory : 3062 MB RAM

Display Tab - device box -
    Name: Mobil Intel(R) 956 Express Chip Set
    Chip Type: Mobil Intel(R) 956 Express Chip Set
    Approx Total Memory: 358MB

Display Tab - driver box -
    Main Driver : igdumd32.dll
    Version : 7.14.0010.1409
    Date: 3/5/2008
  • Aryannaveno - Sanctuary
    Aryannaveno - Sanctuary Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Duo core?
    I have a dual or quad-core processor and the game is not running correctly!

If you are using one, you may have to change the Affinity settings for the processor to run the
    game better.

To do this, start the game and then press Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up the Task Manager. In the
    processes tab, find elementclient.exe. Right-click on it and choose Set Affinity.

Untick/uncheck all but one CPU, then select OK.

Also you say it is only in towns? Try using the best performance button by pressing CTRL + F9.
  • fractuedpixel
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Hopefully I'll get things going because PW seems quite fun.

gah, this is frustrating...still crashes before I can change the settings in game and changing the affinity didn't help either. I'm at a loss of what is causing this since I never use the UAC thing in Vista and the client isn't being blocked by my firewall. Would a clean reinstall help?
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • fractuedpixel
    edited November 2008
    Options
    ah yeah that would right, lol, got it mixed up its the 965 chip set.
  • fractuedpixel
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Still not working even with updated drivers. I think the the client just isn't truly compatible with Windows Vista or the one I have is glitch because I've never had this problem with any other game similar to PW before. I'm reinstalling the client and hoping that will help, if not I'm at a loss as to what's causing this.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Have you tried these? And PWI does work on Vista. Many gamers and us are running it on Vista and XP just fine.

Will Perfect World International run on Windows Vista?

Perfect World International does work with Windows Vista. If you are experiencing some
    difficulties running the game using Vista, here are some things you can try:

Try running the game as Administrator and/or changing Compatibility Mode
    To run an application as an Administrator, you can right click on the games shortcut (icon)
    and click Properties. If Run as an Administrator pops up in the first menu after you right
    click, use that.

What you can do is look up your game's specifications and check the recommended OS
    (Operating System), than after you know what is the proper OS for your game, go to the
    Properties of your game (repeat process), than go to the Compatibility tab. Once you
    reach it there will be a list of OS systems, click the one that is most proper for your game
    (Most likely Windows Service Pack 2). If you want to be exact with the whole Run as an Administrator process, run the game
    on the account of your computer that has the account set as Administrator.

Try disabling UAC (User Account Control)

How to disable UAC in Vista:
    1. Launch MSCONFIG via the Run menu.
    2. Click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find Disable UAC. Click on that line.
    3. Press the Launch button.
    4. A CMD window will open. When the command is done, you can close the window.
    5. Close MSCONFIG. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.

Note: that you can re-enable UAC by selecting the Enable UAC line and then clicking
    on the Launch button.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.