A pet to replace Crystalline/Volcanic Magmite?

Options
mightynyx
mightynyx Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Venomancer
I am thinking about replacing him. I have a couple pets to do different jobs that I keep leveled up. I hate how huge he is not to mention that he gets so close, it's impossible to click on anything especially when a friend needs help and I can't even get to the mob that is killing them. :| If there really isn't anything good enough, I guess I can stick it out. >> So are there any other pretty good physical tank pets like them?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Revolt.
Post edited by mightynyx on

Comments

• rking
    rking Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    There are a few pets that can replace your golem.

1) Shadou Cub Bear (rare)
    2) Overclocked Mechrab (lvl 40 - angler village)
  • swiftlikeafox
    swiftlikeafox Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    The two suggestions from the above poster are great.

But I wouldn't say that anything can replace the golem entirely, yeah the cub and the crab can be used in alot of situations that require a decent physical tank, but the Golem is just.... well a rock! I'd keep him around and lvled up just for emergencies.
  • luden
    luden Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    im pretty new to this game... still only lv25
    do you mind explaining why golem can not be replaced?
    as i happened to be extremely lucky caght a lovely shadou cub i was thinking about throwing my golem away
  • swiftlikeafox
    swiftlikeafox Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    luden wrote: »
    im pretty new to this game... still only lv25
    do you mind explaining why golem can not be replaced?
    as i happened to be extremely lucky caght a lovely shadou cub i was thinking about throwing my golem away

Because at lvl 90 the golem has 8792 p-def, compared to the cubs 7594.

The gap may seem small now at lvl25, but it does grow pretty large as they level.

The cub is a better all around pet because it has higher m-resist, probably one of the best all around pets in the game.

But the Golem is the BEST physical tank in the game.
  • mightynyx
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Because at lvl 90 the golem has 8792 p-def, compared to the cubs 7594.

The gap may seem small now at lvl25, but it does grow pretty large as they level.

The cub is a better all around pet because it has higher m-resist, probably one of the best all around pets in the game.

But the Golem is the BEST physical tank in the game.

I understand they are the best physical tank, which is why I got one of course. I have a frog as my magic tank. I honestly just cannot stand ruining clutch moments when all I can see or click is him. That might sound noobish as I am sure there are plenty of very good Venomancers who use him. It's just annoying to me. So is it really necessary to have him over a Shadou Cub as physical tank for the later quests and such?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Revolt.
  • rking
    rking Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    In 99.9% of the situation unless you're soloing bosses, the highest physical tank isn't really needed. Of course the crab would be a cheap to get and it still has 8K at lvl 90 vs 8.7K from the Golem. The bear has some usefulness in pvp also with it stun skill.

PS if you can live with the frog as your magical tank (for which the antelope has superior mdef) then I don't see a problem with the crab or the cub.
  • Saxira - Heavens Tear
    Saxira - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    i am only 38 so i dunno in later lvls but i just buyed a frog and it is great comparable to the antelope...

it have 2938 phys.def and 3427 mag.def at lv 38 and 1173 hp,it is my best all around pet so far...
    i have stopped using my golem from lvl 28 because i had found better all around pets...
    i will keep the golem ofc and when i manage to increase my pet slots to 4 i will lvl him but for now (and till maybe the golem shrink in size in next patches) my best choice for an all around pet is the frog...

have not tested a bear because they are so heavy camped and because they are too expensive for me now too buy them...
    so i would like an input for the bear from their owners please...
  • xlovex
    xlovex Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    the best away around a clumsy golem:

use your shift button.

it lets you click mobs and items that are behind/around your golem.

however, i think it makes it so you can't click on people...but still.

it helps.
  • mightynyx
    edited November 2008
    Options
    xlovex wrote: »
    the best away around a clumsy golem:

use your shift button.

it lets you click mobs and items that are behind/around your golem.

however, i think it makes it so you can't click on people...but still.

it helps.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Too bad it doesn't make him transparent. xD He is a tad slow too. <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Revolt.
  • Woolaitsing - Sanctuary
    Woolaitsing - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Tried the golem and really was not impressed so here is another line of thought ...

I use a wolf as my main land combat pet because of the way I play which is to attack hard and fast. The golem moves too slow for this type of tactic. So I have stuck with my wolf which I have had since level 15 (Snaggletooth Chief). It can keep up with the attack pace, hits hard and has good survivablility although I do need to keep an eye on its health.

The tactic allows me to handle up to 3-4 same level mobs at the same time with minimal down time to rest/recover. In order for this to work well, the pet may need to switch target during the course of a fight and this is where its speed is a bonus. For lower level mobs I use a bunny for the same thing as it is very fast. The whole key is to kill each mob with 2-3 hits at most and may in some fights mean I hit a mob once and let my pet finish it off (the wolf is better than the rabbit for this). Most multiple mob fights are over in under 30 seconds with these tactics - I do not believe any other class can do this.

For this type of action the pet needs to be fast and small. Fast for getting into the right place quickly and small so there is no interface issue such as not being able to click or see behind a golem.

One more thing - since I am hitting so hard the pet's normal aggro holding mechanism may not be suffcient to allow it to tank in the conventional sense. Its role is more of a distraction and additional source of extra damage. To offset the pet's inablity to hold aggro, I kite (keep moving) and if necessary switch the pet to a mob that has focused on me. So in essence my pet and I change targets and this keeps the mob off balance and often they end up confused and die without hitting either the pet or myself.
  • Shaneekwa - Sanctuary
    Shaneekwa - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have a bear, pig, rabbit, frog, pup and a golem including several others.
    Not bragging in any way I’m just trying to collect all the rare pets and trying em all out myself, but I have to say that excluding it’s enormous size the golem is the best of the bunch as far as a tank goes! The bear comes in second, in my opinion.

I use em all but in a dungeon I use the golem exclusively with the cub as a backup.

Don’t throw it away, its just to valuable even if you prefer another pet, keep it in your inventory for those situations where there’s just no substitute.
  • _ann_ - Heavens Tear
    _ann_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    nah whatever you guys say Magmite is the best pet for a veno, it is all what a veno needs, the best tank ever
    <3 luv u golem
  • mightynyx
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I didn't throw him away. I still have my magmite. ^_~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Revolt.
  • maria1979
    maria1979 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    im lvl 60 and when i got my bear i threw my golem away. i think the bear is a good tank i dont have to heal it that much and he is so cute rolling around on the ground lol
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have a fly, golem, v. scorp, and frogling for my main pets. Each pet has its specific role and I use each of them often. In my opinion, those 4 are the only ones you need.
  • Fingerven - Lost City
    Fingerven - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I have a fly, golem, v. scorp, and frogling for my main pets. Each pet has its specific role and I use each of them often. In my opinion, those 4 are the only ones you need.

True(although i have an antelope as the magical tank) The problem is... can u keep all 4 of them maxed? :D I am having 3 atm, tamed an antelope, but didn't use it cause i don't have the slot open.
    Also... water battles are really a pain :-<
  • xlovex
    xlovex Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    i just um...go out and catch the highest level undine there is XD

and never level it.

a turtle is better, but i haven't seen many of those around :<
  • Itsumo - Heavens Tear
    Itsumo - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Death dancers make excellent pets for a water pet they are the best ^.^
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Two of my pets are maxed with the other two close behind. ^.^ And the reason I chose the Frogling over the Antelope is b/c even though it has slightly lower M Def, it has higher HP and P Def. It's not often that I use it against tough mobs that use Physical over Magical damage, but it's nice when I need to. =)
  • Shaneekwa - Sanctuary
    Shaneekwa - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    mightynyx,
    As you can tell all of us have our reasons for choosing one pet over another so my advice would be to collect a few pets and try em out for yourself. Use the info we have all given you and then decide for yourself. What works for one of use might not be a good choice for you.

Just have fun and and play with different pets. In the end you'll find one or several that you like and thats whats important.
  • Corryx - Sanctuary
    Corryx - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Agree totally with Shaneekwa that it's finally what suits you. I keep trying pet and banks on both my venos have lots of tried & tested eggs... check out my comparison of pets lvl 25 & lvl 30. http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=1701711#post1701711

Just fun trying them all.

Ive just tamed a Mechrab as I was trying to find alternative to Crystalline. He is also a character/real unusual ...stopping to wind himself up + he is fast.

I have been frustrated by the golem's size for some time although have to admit he can take more damage than my alternatives... a Beetle King and a Giant Ant. But they are both easier to use and the Ant is a real character, chattering away.

All three are around same lvl (32) but all three died from AoE spells in fb39 which I just did at lvl 40. Luckily a high lvl veno was pulling most of mobs with her golem.

As for crab he has better stats than others for tackling higher lvl mobs I now face. And he will give me time to lvl up other pets as well. Also just tamed a Mastiff of the Great Divide as a magic tank although realise s/he won't compare ultimately with frogling (on my 2nd veno), a carapest or a cub BUT takes more hits than my now-reverted-to-egg Antelope Pup who died far too easily.

Good luck and good hunting - have fun

b:victory
  • Leah - Dreamweaver
    Leah - Dreamweaver Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    xlovex wrote: »
    i just um...go out and catch the highest level undine there is XD

and never level it.

a turtle is better, but i haven't seen many of those around :<

That's because every complaint about the golem goes triple for the turtle. Seriously - I have one and while it's very, very useful it's a real pain to try and see around.
  • Energize - Heavens Tear
    Energize - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Golem, bear, and petite sawfly are the only pets I'll ever need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GaliNaab here, your neighbourhood friendly male venomancer.
  • Ladyselene - Heavens Tear
    Ladyselene - Heavens Tear Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Level 51 turtle for my water pet, he is awesome, piggy for my flying pet, frog is my allrounder tank etc and kitty is my lurer because he is so fast. i got rid of my golem when i was a low level because i got so annoyed with his size lol frog hold aggro really well and steals aggro when needed
    [SIGPIC]http://i43.tinypic.com/x549ac.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Friends are like stars, you dont have to see them to know they are there

We can't call people without wings angels, so we call them friends instead

Friends are the roses of life: pick them carefully and avoid the thorns
  • Vulpix - Lost City
    Vulpix - Lost City Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Herc.

</topic>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TY _Bloody_Fox_ for the sig ^_^
    I think venomancers are a pretty cool guy, eh mances the venom and doesn't afraid of anything.