going from Xp to Vista

rachen
rachen Posts: 2 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Support Desk
I had PW installed in my laptop whilst using Windowws XP.

I updated my system to Vista but now when I try to start up PW on my computer I don't get any details on the first screen and when i try to login it won't let me. When i try on my main PC it does though so I know its not a problem with the game.

Now i'm on Vista do I need to reinstall the game?
Post edited by rachen on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, you should re-install the game.

Here is some Vista info:

Will Perfect World International run on Windows Vista?
    Perfect World International does work with Windows Vista. If you are experiencing some
    difficulties running the game using Vista, here are some things you can try:

Try running the game as Administrator and/or changing Compatibility Mode
    To run an application as an Administrator, you can right click on the games shortcut (icon)
    and click Properties. If Run as an Administrator pops up in the first menu after you right
    click, use that.

What you can do is look up your game's specifications and check the recommended OS
    (Operating System), than after you know what is the proper OS for your game, go to the
    Properties of your game (repeat process), than go to the Compatibility tab. Once you
    reach it there will be a list of OS systems, click the one that is most proper for your game
    (Most likely Windows Service Pack 2). If you want to be exact with the whole Run as an Administrator process, run the game
    on the account of your computer that has the account set as Administrator.

Try disabling UAC (User Account Control)

How to disable UAC in Vista:
    1. Launch MSCONFIG via the Run menu.
    2. Click on the Tools tab. Scroll down till you find Disable UAC. Click on that line.
    3. Press the Launch button.
    4. A CMD window will open. When the command is done, you can close the window.
    5. Close MSCONFIG. You need to reboot the computer for changes to apply.

Note: that you can re-enable UAC by selecting the Enable UAC line and then clicking
    on the Launch button.

You can also check here to see if anything can help you: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=75572
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Darkglory - Heavens Tear
    Darkglory - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Since I a Vista User ^_^ and proud, that sounds like UAC to me cause i had the same problem just do what he told ya and it comes off easy as Pie.......
  • rachen
    rachen Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Still getting an error message. Although I am getting an error message when trying to update.
  • Aryannaveno - Sanctuary
    Aryannaveno - Sanctuary Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Please try the manuel patches, I suspect the mirror ones in this link will be better for you.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=87242
  • bennyxd
    bennyxd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, I have had no problem with running the game, yet, my UAC is still activated. What version of Windows Vista are you running on?
This discussion has been closed.