Archer Basics

nauziem
nauziem Posts: 22 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Archer
Heavily upgraded version at: Annor's Archer Basics (click)

Archer Basics
This is intended to be a brief guide, to provide assistance for new archers lacking direction. I will try to avoid in-depth analyses to prevent this becoming prohibitively long.

STATS:
There are two standard approaches as follows:

'Pure':
Per 5 attribute points:
4 Dexterity
1 Strength

This is really the build I would reccommend, the strength enables you to wear the best light armor at each level, and dexterity gives you all the damage you could ever dream of. A lot of people would argue that a build with no vitality is lacking in survivability, but as an archer, the best defense is killing everything before it reaches you.

Hybrid:
Per 5 attribute points:
3 Dexterity
1 Strength
1 Vitality

I guess this is the build if you are just not comfortable with a complete lack of vitality. It grants you a greater capacity for taking hits, but the reduced dexterity will mean monsters are able to beat on you longer. Note that while a 'pure' archer, may decide later to add vitality to his build and become a hybrid; a hybrid archer can not become a 'pure' archer (without expensive restatting).

EARLY SKILLS (L1-45):
This is in no way intended to be an all-inclusive skill guide; it may act as a basis for furthur reading, the following early skills are intended to be choices you won't soon regret, and spirit you won't feel you have wasted. If an early skill is not mentioned here, generally leave it at level 1 (or don't train it at all if it's not a prerequisite).

-Frost Arrow (max)
Low mana cost, high damage, slows target -- whats not to like?

-Lightning Strike (max)
Exceptional metal damage you will come to rely on.

-Blazing Arrow (max)
Constant percentage addition of fire damage while active.

-Bow Mastery (max)
Damage...

-Winged Blessing (max)
Range -- the furthur you are, the safer you are, every metre counts.

Knockback Arrow (Lvl.1)
Buy time before the monster reaches you by forcing it back 12 yards. Distance does not increase with furthur points, so generally leave this at level 1.

Winged Pledge (max)
Exceptional melee range damage.

Winged Shell (to taste)
Damage absorption, MP recovery. Maximizing this ability is optional, if you are short on spirit, using a slightly out-of-date rank could be well advised, and is far better than sacrificing offensive capability (maximum -1, or maximum -2). The chi cost of this ability will often conflict with Frost Arrow, so you may not get to cast this as much as you would like to.

Aim Low (Lvl. 1)
Short stun, very useful, however ability costs a spark, preventing you from casting it very often.

COMBAT TIPS:
For best results, initiate combat at maximum range. Find the skill patterns that best suit commonly appearing situations, and try to avoid taking damage altogether. A standard opening sequence might look something like:
Frost Arrow > Lightning Strike > Knockback Arrow > Regular Shot > Regular Shot > Lightning Strike

Ranged attacks suffer a melee penalty when targets get too close, this is not experienced however by Lightning Strike, and Winged pledge, so rotate between these abilities if a target reaches you. A melee cycle might look like:
Winged Pledge > Lightning Shot > Winged Pledge > Regular Attack > (and repeat)

If you find yourself continually having cash flow problems, hovering on the poverty line -- you might want to consider the following:
An archers killing expenditure is directly linked to the rate of mana potion usage, meaning if you are having problems with money, try to use less mana. If you have a strong base attack (from a strong weapon coupled with high dexterity), your ability usage can be cut in half, and still be effective. Here is a mana conservation rotation I have used from time to time:
Frost Arrow > Regular Shot > Regular Shot > Knockback Arrow > Regular shot to finish

As there is an "Air to Ground" damage penalty, avoid attacking land targets while in flight -- even if they are attacking another player who is on the ground.

EQUIPMENT BASICS:
The archer wears LIGHT armor, providing a balance of magic and physical defenses for minimal strength, and no magic requirement. Generally only wear armor that features physical and all 5 elemental resistance stats.

Your weapon is your best friend, and the one piece of equipment that REALLY counts, try to get your hands on the best possible weapon at each level bracket, and update it usually every 5 levels or so. Bows, crossbows and slinghsots are largely equivalent, so use whatever is best for raw damage. You can save money by using rank one ammunition, as the minor advantages of higher ranks are overshadowed by the dramatic increase in price.

AND THE CONCLUDING PART...
Stay alert, the sleepy archer can find himself dead and disgruntled, with 5% less experience in a matter of seconds. Enjoy some serious damage, like only an archer can; and bring glory to our mighty class.

Tips, corrections and feedback are welcome :).

-Annor, Heaven's Tear
Post edited by nauziem on

Comments

• Innes - Lost City
    Innes - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Hybrid build = 7 dex 2 str 1 vit every 2 levels
  • nauziem
    edited November 2008
    I think technically 7-2-1 is Hybrid-Hybrid...
    My problem with 7-2-1 is this: I feel that if you are going to stray from the 4:1 pure build, your reasoning should be that you want a meaninful difference in your HP, I dont think 7-2-1 offers this.
  • Crazyfool - Lost City
    Crazyfool - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I think the pure dex archer is the best.. I rarey die by mobs, it all about how you use your archer. I seen alot Hybird archers change to pure dex build. if you go hybird u miss alot Evasion points and like 4% more crit rate.
  • interia
    interia Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    hi, i need help about magic on archer, need we magic?? :s im newbie
    Cada Leyenda Tiene Su Propio Heroe. Pero Cada Heroe Tiene Su Propia Leyenda?...

...Yo Creo Mi Propia Leyenda
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    interia wrote: »
    hi, i need help about magic on archer, need we magic?? :s im newbie

no , dont add anything to magic
  • nauziem
    edited November 2008
    The builds are simply as listed, a 'pure' archer (the build i recommend) will place 1 point in strength, and 4 in dexterity EVERY level. Vitality and Magic remain at 5.
  • xxraynaxx
    xxraynaxx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Archers are Winged Elves, am I not correct? I was searching the website here and I think I remember reading about how if you want to fly, (whether you're a cleric, archer, blademaster, or venomencer, focusing mostly on archer and cleric here) you use mana to fly.

I personally didn't play this game yet, so I don't know for sure. (Sorry for ranting on about this) But 3 of my friends and I have made plan to make a faction when we become of level and have the coins to do so, and I would be the leader. And we plan to travel a lot. So should I add mana to my first basic attributes, or not?
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Your original white wings (which you can begin flying with immediately) use mana, it is not a major issue though, very occasional potion usage can top this up even at a very low level. At level 30 you receive quest (eagle) wings, which do not drain mana at all. Other races begin to fly at this level.

Changing your stats at a later time is quite expensive, so avoid spending points for short-term gains.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • MorgulLord - Sanctuary
    MorgulLord - Sanctuary Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I dont see anyone mentioning about Vicious Arrow. I have taken 1 lvl of Vicious Arrow and its seems to be pretty good DOT skill. Roughly about 600 wood damage at lvl 1 over 15 seconds.

Vicious Arrow > Frost Arrow > Normal Attack > Normal attack > Knockback (if necessary) > Normal > Normal

So, essentially, you get the entire 600 dmg done while you are also hitting normal.

Can someone tell me why it does not find a place in anyones suggested builds? Something I've missed ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally...
  • nauziem
    edited November 2008
    Well the suggestions i made were to be more of a skeleton of primary starting abilities. I probably would use viscious arrow after frost arrow in rotations though. your knockback appears to be a little too late in your rotation as well, you want to knock your opponent before they get anywhere near melee range so that you dont risk having one of your ranged attacks penalized.

Especially when you get into the higher levels though (40s and above) a low-ability usage rotation can be very useful.
  • MorgulLord - Sanctuary
    MorgulLord - Sanctuary Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Most of the times, I dont have to use knockback as the mob dies before it reaches me. So, I hold back as long as possible to save mana. If I feel the monster will not die without landing a couple of hits on me, i then use knockback. (The things I do for saving mana :P)

Anyway...thanks for the tip ... I'll keep that in mind .... ^_^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally...
  • gades
    gades Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well I just started today, thanks for the guide btw, and ya know, if people would just slow down a little they could just rest (meditate) when they got low on mana, I mean seriously why does everyone rush to lvl in every single game...
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    well later on it would take 10+minutes to meditate mana during which you would be sure to make more in drops then the mana pots cost or you could be efficient in using winged shell and practically never need mana potions in pve
    at the low levels mana is too expensive but quickly you can become efficient and make more money per time and level much faster by using them
  • ChaoticWoIf - Heavens Tear
    ChaoticWoIf - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for this little guide. Very helpful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markus888
    markus888 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    What about the skills after level 45?
    I wanna get a full guide down lol :)
  • dranceon
    dranceon Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'm still not getting the idea of not adding to mana at all, but maybe I would understand if I had put all those points in Dex and had a much higher damage rate. . . maybe I need to start a new character.
  • Newblord - Sanctuary
    Newblord - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ummm....i actually added my mag up to 20
    since i dont plan to use eagle wings and want faster flying with
    flying mastery
    i got it up to 20 so that i can use it without losing mana
    i made it so that my mana regen balances out the mana requirement
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    ummm....i actually added my mag up to 20
    since i dont plan to use eagle wings and want faster flying with
    flying mastery
    i got it up to 20 so that i can use it without losing mana
    i made it so that my mana regen balances out the mana requirement

or you could buy a piece of armor a cape or something with +mana recovery (wow thatd cost 5k) and save yourself that 15 magic you wasted, wow thats like haveing 3 dex on every armor piece at every level, yah which is easier to get do you think -which is better in the long term? ok then yah
  • Ubikuitous - Sanctuary
    Ubikuitous - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    WRT Mana... something I've found extremely useful for my Archer is to constantly harvest (or buy when found cheap) the herbs required for making Focus Powder (Crane & Salvia, lvl 30) or Flourish Orb (Fleece & Tuckanhoe, lvl 45) which regenerate your Mana at +50 per second for *10 whole minutes*. I almost never use pots anymore and one Powder/Orb will basically last for a single quest (ie. kill 40 of xxx). If still using too much Mana even while on Powder, meditate while on Powder for 2-4 seconds for super increased recovery.

As Mosz says, +3 MP recovery on armor also works for me :)
  • nightyne
    nightyne Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I just remade my level 17 archer to be pure.....4 agility and 1 strength and I can see the difference. The new archer is at level 18 and is better than the first one but I am still keeping the hybrid to see how they differ at higher levels.

Currently I have a combo for first attack against a equal or stronger monster....
    Take Aim + Freezing Arrow + Quick Shot + normal shot.
    Initial heavy damage after a long time to aim so needs to be first skill.....slow down the enemy.....more heavy damage...then I will run if enemy has a lot of hp left turning to fire with Quick shot.
    If the enemy is lower third in hp I will finish with Lightning Strike.

Apology if the spell names are not 100% correct but you get the idea.
  • nauziem
    edited December 2008
    Okay well to respond to a couple of these posts:
    a. There were a couple reasons I wrote this guide originally only to Level 45ish, firstly I figured people would start to get a feel for the class themselves by then, and secondly I don't consider myself a guru of the class -- I more wanted to fill a void and provide a little help for starting players. In the time since I originally wrote this, I have had a lot more experience with my archer, so i may later extend it.

b. Take aim while by concept and description seems amazing, is not as impressive as it seems. It's damage will never really meet your expectations of the skill, and later when you get Deadly Shot, its damage will never compare. Its usefulness does not die out though, if you hit it twice and fire it off quickly, it can be a useful tool to generate Chi -- but for this purpose it is actually better to have a lower rank; so its probably a solid investment to leave Take Aim at whatever level it has reached. Quickshot is fairly unimpressive as well, nice for the first few levels you get it, but quickly surpassed by elemental shots.

Glad to hear back from a few people who've found this mini-guide useful ;).
  • takame
    takame Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I totally agree that pure dex is the best build
    because if you get far enough and spend money wisely you will be able to buy or find armor if your lucky that add vit and magic.
    So that you dont have to waste your stat points on those 2 stats. sure its gonna suck at first but its worth it when you get pass 50+ in my opinion
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I dont see anyone mentioning about Vicious Arrow. I have taken 1 lvl of Vicious Arrow and its seems to be pretty good DOT skill. Roughly about 600 wood damage at lvl 1 over 15 seconds.

Vicious Arrow > Frost Arrow > Normal Attack > Normal attack > Knockback (if necessary) > Normal > Normal

So, essentially, you get the entire 600 dmg done while you are also hitting normal.

Can someone tell me why it does not find a place in anyones suggested builds? Something I've missed ?

well the thing is, u want to use vicious at the very start so the dot can take effect sooner, but u also want to use frost at the very start so the mob doesn't get to u. both frost and vicious have a 1s channeling time, 0.6 cast time, meaning u can well have placed 2 shots in the time it takes to cast the spell. since u start w/ one and casts the other, one of those spells is going to cost u 2 hits. if u start w/ frost, the extra dmg from vicious in the time it takes to kill a mob safely (so like 10s at best?) cannot be more than the extra hit, if u start w/ vicious, the mob is closer when u've casted frost. in the end, i find the damage from vicious just dont matter unless u cast on something that its weak against (so like poison on earth).
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ahhh you dug up my old one, this one was supposed to be dead :)
    Its mentioned in my new guide, but i don't recommend it... the damage just isnt there.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Streaktress - Sanctuary
    Streaktress - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I am curious but what about Bow Mastery at lvl 29? Do you max that? I went 4 dex and 1 str just that I didnt put enough skills in certain ones yet. So I will remember this.
  • Massimus - Heavens Tear
    Massimus - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yes max bow mastery, it gives you more physical attack on long range weapons
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    yes max bow mastery, it gives you more physical attack on long range weapons

However, when determining how much damage bow mastery adds to your physical attack, you should only consider your gear -- your dexterity gets ignored here.

I hope bow mastery increases blazing arrow's bonus damage, but I have not easy way of finding out if it really does.
  • alucardpt
    alucardpt Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Ok I think, I messed up... (I wanted pure build)
    I added 5points to Magic and Some left ouvers to Vit(like maybe 7points)

Should I just reset?
    (The Reset is only to that character I used for, by pressing "C>Reset" right?)

Ps: We got 1reset free right? Or should I start a New Char? (Im Lv22~)