How Are Clerics Expensive?

2»

Comments

• Jagermeister - Lost City
    Jagermeister - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Clerics can be pretty expensive, but they aren't THAT expensive.
    I have lower MP than a pure INT cleric, and I'm pretty sure if you make some Apothecary items, you won't need MP hierogram that much. I would say the mana regen rate items go perfectly in some cases, I rarely run out of MP when I use them and I haven't bought more than 50 mana pots to grind/spam heal and stuff like that. You just need to take some time to gather items and make those items, and you'll be a happy not-so-poor cleric. :)
    Oh, and I ususally use one Focus Powder and one Jade Powder when I have to spam heal another player when fighting a hard boss. Of course you might need higher level items according to your level, but that's not a big problem.

Thats because your not zhenning yet...

once you start AOE partying its unreal the amount of money u spend on the game... and if you don' AOE well the level grind is just tooo slow imo.

I think I went throug $16 bucks today in MP heiros and EXP scrolls alone. for about 7 hours of zhen party...
    Cleric - Member of Unlimited [Lost City]

Invincible 220/24 Keeper - SC Ring of Destruction (Anarchy Online)
    Invincible 63 Warrior - Genocide (Knight Online)
    Invincible 120 Priest - Leader Primal (Corum Online)
    Invincible1 109 Segnale - Leader Primal Instinct (2moons)
    Jagermeister 80 Priest of Mitra - Primal Instinct (Age of Conan)

Sub-Leader Primal Instinct Gaming Services Network
    "PKing since Pong"
    www pigsnet.com
  • Vixenish - Heavens Tear
    Vixenish - Heavens Tear Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    junk wrote: »

So:
    a. Don't play.
    b. Roll Venomancer.
    c. Sell house and live in a cardboard box.
    d. Genuflect.

does the cardboard box have internet?b:mischievous
  • Lilith - Lost City
    Lilith - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Thats because your not zhenning yet...

once you start AOE partying its unreal the amount of money u spend on the game... and if you don' AOE well the level grind is just tooo slow imo.

I think I went throug $16 bucks today in MP heiros and EXP scrolls alone. for about 7 hours of zhen party...

As I said, they aren't THAT espensive, but they are. I meant I could handle pretty well until now without using so much money, I spent most of my money in skills for now. And I think there are other ways instead of buying items from cash shop all the time, even if they are really helpful and the best way of getting MP most of the times. I did some AOE parties, but not that many, ran out of MP several times, but I didnt use so many pots. I play PW for fun and I dont really mind having to sit and regen a bit, it's a way to rest for me also. :P
  • scutilla
    scutilla Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    If a specific method of playing the game requires me to depend on items purchased with real money, I won't play using those methods. If those playstyles become mandatory once I reach a certain level, I'll stop playing. Simple as that.

I can see how the game might lead up to that - been spending much more money on mana potions since I reached level 20 - but as of yet it hasn't been a huge problem. Truth be told, I'm having a much bigger shortage of Spirit than gold.

Until then, I'll just have fun playing casually. Exploring the game world and helping others (flying around and throwing buffs on random lower-level people I meet) has entertained me much more than exp grinding thus far, and I doubt I'll need hieroglyphs for either of those.
  • Lilith - Lost City
    Lilith - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    scutilla wrote: »
    If a specific method of playing the game requires me to depend on items purchased with real money, I won't play using those methods. If those playstyles become mandatory once I reach a certain level, I'll stop playing. Simple as that.

You could also purchase the same items from other players, don't need necessarily buy them with real money.
  • Onishi - Heavens Tear
    Onishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    You could also purchase the same items from other players, don't need necessarily buy them with real money.

True, though it does get to a point where it costs money to be in combat in any way shape or form. and well harvesting dosn't exactly bring in enough coin per hour short of a 3 hours harvesting for 1 hour of playing ratio.

well I guess if you make a venomancer alt or something, use veno's to get money for your cleric..

come to think of it... kinda fscked up that the with the lowest expenses of any class in the game is the one class that actually has bonus ways to make money.
    (taming pets, creating all class pets)
  • Lazyluna - Heavens Tear
    Lazyluna - Heavens Tear Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    come to think of it... kinda fscked up that the with the lowest expenses of any class in the game is the one class that actually has bonus ways to make money.
    (taming pets, creating all class pets)

Don't worry, they make up for it by making you spend millions at the Zoologist for skills or on rare pets to have any tank or dd'ing pet worth bragging about. b:victory

As for all class pets, only the rare ones are worth the effort. Those can take upto a month or more to gather, and is all based on luck. So you're not going to get rich very fast, and if your luck stinks, not at all.

Having a Veno alt to fund your cleric is very possible though. You'd just have to nerf your pets or get a second computer and account and spend all your time gathering eggs and sleep vending.

Personally, what I would say is messed up beyond belief is they make the support cleric so expensive to play. Do they want to force people into solo'ing? This is an MMO. But that's the point, the company is greedy. It shows everywhere. The fact that what color your clothes are when you buy from the Boutique is random, it's unbelievably ridiculous! The Halloween raffle? It's a bit on the... mmm, insanely greedy side. let's just hope they never release statted clothes. >>
    b:bye RETIRED
  • cryotech
    cryotech Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Yeah making a funds-providing Veno alt isn't a bad idea. I made one a week ago, to fund my clerics pot addiction (b:chuckle), among several other things. After grinding (which is comparatively much easier) and gathering upto lvl26 so far, and spending very little along the way, i've made near on half a mill over a couple days of selling. Of course you still gotta put in the time and effort, but it's all profit thus far :)
  • spritzy
    spritzy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    but would it help if there were 2 clerics in the party? Like, have 1 active while the other recovers mana?Then surely it could cut mana spending by half for both clerics instead of having a single cleric draining that amount of mana alone?
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Why do the apothecary items get glossed over so much? Focus powder provides 50mp/s for 10 min or 30k mana total. Each powder requires 5 herbs (25 herbs make 5) and assume each herb costs 700 coins for a total of 3500 coins for the 30k mana. Focus powders give 8.57mp/coin.

Take a look at a gold charm (the most efficient of all of them) 4 Gold = 400k gold and gives 900k mana. 900k/400k = 2.25mp/coin.

I offer no experience in how long an AOE party can be sustained on focus powders alone (probably not very long) but I believe people should be using MP charms to fill in the gaps for their focus powders, which are 4 times more efficient currency wise.

I would estimate it takes 1 hour to stock up the ingredients to make enough focus powders to sustain you for 1 hour if you want to go the pick your own route.
  • xlovex
    xlovex Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Considering that your channeled heal (for zhen parties) costs 100 mp a second, supposedly you won't need more than the lvl 4 focus powder (100 mp a second) to sustain yourself =D

For normal boss lvling/ironheart spamming, considering it takes ~230 mp to cast lvl 10 ironheart, and a total spell time of 2 seconds, thats 115 mp a second.

However, you'll rarely be spamming ironheart nonstop.

So, yea, focus powders should be great ^^ and are a great money saver.

I managed to buy serpentine herbs and such for only 500 gold each too, so =D

The main problem: getting to apothecary lvl 4 is a -serious- sp drain.

The solution: make a veno to do it for you XDDD
  • Blessing - Heavens Tear
    Blessing - Heavens Tear Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    xlovex wrote: »
    Considering that your channeled heal (for zhen parties) costs 100 mp a second, supposedly you won't need more than the lvl 4 focus powder (100 mp a second) to sustain yourself =D

For normal boss lvling/ironheart spamming, considering it takes ~230 mp to cast lvl 10 ironheart, and a total spell time of 2 seconds, thats 115 mp a second.

However, you'll rarely be spamming ironheart nonstop.

So, yea, focus powders should be great ^^ and are a great money saver.

I managed to buy serpentine herbs and such for only 500 gold each too, so =D

The main problem: getting to apothecary lvl 4 is a -serious- sp drain.

The solution: make a veno to do it for you XDDD

Channeled heal counts as combat so your regeneration gets nerfed down to 25%. Focus powder will only restore 25mp/s. However, Focus Powders will restore 100mp/s when you use only Ironheart because all your other heals do not count as combat.
  • narulordofevil
    narulordofevil Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    This is a great spell it lasts for 39minuits and at lvl 10 increases mana and hp regen by about 10 points per second ^^

I think thats right >.>
    Anyway its through this spell and lots of magica skill points that i keep my mana up.

I need to be in a realy big fight to run out and i just save up my mana potion for that.

Also at about lvl 35 with a lvl 4 celestail seal it only takes a few seconds to recover your mana ^^

I have actaully watched full support clerics do this in fights and take turns resting ^^
  • xlovex
    xlovex Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Channeled heal counts as combat so your regeneration gets nerfed down to 25%. Focus powder will only restore 25mp/s. However, Focus Powders will restore 100mp/s when you use only Ironheart because all your other heals do not count as combat.

ahh okay, that explains a lot, esp why my celestial seal wasn't doing as much as I thought it would.

I thought just your regen from mag was nerfed, not all types of regen.

that is a huge bummer...
  • Meech - Sanctuary
    Meech - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    why play a free MMO and pay so much money when u play one with a sub of 15/m and and enjoy more of the game.

I know for one i was turned off by the fact that u need to spend any money to play a "free" MMO what a load of bull.b:angry
  • Pinkpeach - Lost City
    Pinkpeach - Lost City Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    why play a free MMO and pay so much money when u play one with a sub of 15/m and and enjoy more of the game.

I know for one i was turned off by the fact that u need to spend any money to play a "free" MMO what a load of bull.b:angry

You don't need to spend any money on this game; it's just been designed that you're at a huge disadvantage if you don't. It's already been discussed, please read other posts before making misinformed statements such as yours.

However I do have to agree PW is inferior compared to the likes of WoW, although this is my opinion and it doesn't necessarily mean PW isn't fun.
  • cchris1000
    cchris1000 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2008

Ok, well they need to make money to pay the bills. However that being said, it is MUCH more fair to charge a monthly fee and design a good solid mmo (they are out there believe it or not). Cash shop games can cost 3 times as much as a pay by the month game (in my experience).
  • Meech - Sanctuary
    Meech - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    You don't need to spend any money on this game; it's just been designed that you're at a huge disadvantage if you don't. It's already been discussed, please read other posts before making misinformed statements such as yours.

However I do have to agree PW is inferior compared to the likes of WoW, although this is my opinion and it doesn't necessarily mean PW isn't fun.

im not misinformed i was simply stating that is supposed to be free after reading this thread i come away with the belief that PFF is false advertisement thats all.
  • achtland
    achtland Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    cjtign wrote: »

Anyways it is expensive to play a cleric efficently but then again if you don't want to play hardcore and just want to be casual you may not even elect to do AOE parties or even grind at the higher levels so cleric would actually not be that expensive since you can just use potions and heals for MP/HP as needed.... but lets get honest wheres the fun in playing these games casually? They are meant as a competition and challenge and if you want to be the best you need to use every option available to you hence why cash shop games ALWAYS cost more money then pay $15 per month games if your a serious gamer.

-Jagermeister

If you want to be a serious gamer...there are other games that cost less monthly that are better than perfect world. If you want challenge and competition I might suggest joining a sports team instead of sitting on your butt all day long eating cheesy's and drinking coke.

Serious gaming does NOT have to cost 225 dollars a month....

Just a thought
  • Gpanda - Lost City
    Gpanda - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    I haven't begun any serious AOEing but I found that the best solution is Heiro w/ Orb w/ mp powder.

That way the heiro doesn't get eaten up too much and herbing is easy. Herbs exist in clumps so I just mark the postions of the clumps and make a round trip visit to those clumps. That takes me a minimum of 10min(on mount). Then I grind for 50min. Then I use the pots that are dropped incase I can't afford Heiro. Then I pick up DQ and equiment which I sell for 20-50K coin every 1/2hrs and after a few hours I:
    1) gain a lot of money
    2) didn't end up using my heiro so much

Also I've found that just healing costs far less mp than attacking. So sometimes I have someone else attack while I just do some healing. This works especially well in high lvl fbs. I just heal and let someone else take the repair costs and do all the fighting.

Clerics are cheaper than other classes. If played right you should only need to buy
    1)equipment
    2)skills
    3) occasional heiro

Also play with RL friends. They are less likely to yell profanties through the screen chat if you medidate for a few seconds.

this is my experience as a lvl52 cleric

b:laugh
  • Onishi - Heavens Tear
    Onishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yeah that works until around the 70s when AoEing starts to become the only sane choice for XP. Durring those, your channeled skills that are 100MP/sec and reduce your regen (including those by the apoth items) by 75%. Cutting your focus powders/flourish orbs down to 12.5 MP a second, or if you get the big money and buy the level 4 apoth items you can use after 60, you can get up to 25 mp a sec with concentrate orbs.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    junk wrote: »
    To function in mid to end-game parties (lvl 60+), a cleric has to use one of his chanelled skills. Either one of those drains 100 mana per second.

This adds up to 360000 mana/hour. 720000 mana/2 hours.
    A silver spirit hierogram (or w/e it's called now) costs 2.5$ (after the awesome sale we're getting ends) and has 520000 mana. Taking your regen into consideration, let's assume that hierogram will last a good 2 hours (it won't). Let's say you grind 6 hours/day.
    7.5$/day
    52.5$/week
    225$/month

Yes, 225$/month just to grind your character for 6 hours/day. And they still have to introduce xp scrolls. If you want to PvP and even dream of having competitive gear, get ready to sell your house. This is the same for all characters though, hp expenses will **** a tank class, mages need tons of mana too. The only class that can somewhat get away with it is a Venomancer.

So:
    a. Don't play.
    b. Roll Venomancer.
    c. Sell house and live in a cardboard box.
    d. Genuflect.

(oh and in before people telling me you can sustain the arrays with apothecary pots or someshit. Have fun herbing for 3 hours so you can play your character for 50 minutes)
    lol Someone wants the fast and easy way out using real cash...
    Kinda speechless here with this post.

Personally I would be ready to spend about $50-$100 or a little more a month depending, but all this would be for my personal greed, an amount I would be willing to spend to entertain myself, not as a duty. Because I want faster and more xp in the game, because I dont want to rest for HP/MP, because I etc, etc.
    If your real life (****)friend complains to you for not spending $100 when they go out and play with you, you would probably think "..Um?", then why should you also oblidge to the will of peer pressure online? is what I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan