The Giveaway Event: GMs Please Read!

Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Suggestion Box
I can;t help but wonder something. In most states in the US, contests must be "no purchase necessary" otherwise if the prize is something that has real world value, entering though the purchase/charging of Zen is illegal in many places, and in my case, it's illegal in Ohio.

Is charging Zen really the only way to enter? This may cause issues if so. No.. I don't plan to raise them myself, but um... where's your legal department? I think you need to consult them on this matter.
"Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• bronza
    bronza Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    To answer your question in a not very clear way look at the Monoploy game for McDonalds can you play with out buying certain items to get pieces? ( I honestly could be wrong cause well I dont really eat McDonalds)

There's a wierd way in how that no purchase necessary thing works I had a person who studied law explain it but I can't remember the specifics and I dont wanna guess exactly how it works in fear of giving you false information.

Also I dont know if its really a law or just a thing people say. Because think about most contests any more you gotta by a ticket (50/50's, Raffles, lottery,ect) or pay a registration fee to enter a race.

I think basically its not a you HAVE to buy something to be in. Like you might charge zen but your not really buying anything in a sense, just like for a raffle the tickets are a meant to pick a winner but your not really buying anything, now you can be picky about well your buying a chance to win and thats were I say consult the law books and lawyers and stuff cause then your getting into how things are phrased and the meanings and all that jazz.

I know this doesn't actually answer the question but something to think about and maybe help you figure out the answer.
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    That's actually a federal law. The typical loopholes are if the matter is a "game of skill", has a method of entry that involves no real-world value (usually called consideration), or a prize with real world value. The matter is currently moot, as the Auction House system purchases are now set to also apply for the Giveaway Chances, and almost certainly passed the consideration loophole.

State laws may be more stringent, offer void where prohibited.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bronza
    bronza Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    well learn something new every day and thats why I'm also not a law student cause I would have never guessed it as federal law if anything it would be y guess it was state thanks Gattsuru
  • Tara - Lost City
    Tara - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    That's actually a federal law. The typical loopholes are if the matter is a "game of skill", has a method of entry that involves no real-world value (usually called consideration), or a prize with real world value. The matter is currently moot, as the Auction House system purchases are now set to also apply for the Giveaway Chances, and almost certainly passed the consideration loophole.

State laws may be more stringent, offer void where prohibited.

Gotta love those loopholes still a scam is a scam to make money. Btw its technically not an Event more of a Competition to win a DS ...heh yay a skinned DS i cannot play PWI on b:scorn
  • Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    They might need to say where it's void. In Ohio It's void because it needs to get approval due to stringent anti-gambling laws. To get this approval PWI needs to pay a fee to Ohio.

Many such giveaway avoid Ohio entirely because of this law. SquareEnix is most notable on avoiding Ohio. I believe Vermont also has similar regulations in conjunction with giveaways.

So definately Void wehere prohibited, but they might need a list on that.
    "Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    B]The following is not to be construed as legal advice or representative of PWE. These are my opinions.[/B]
    1) From now (5 p.m. PST Friday November 7) through 5 p.m. November 14 each time you Charge Zen (https://billing.perfectworld.com) you will automatically be entered into our raffle system. In fact, multiple raffle tickets will be issued so lets say you Charge Zen 3 times during this event you will, in fact, be entered 3 times into our raffle.

2) You can also be entered into this event by purchasing gold through the Auction House. Simply go to any Auctioneer and click on Gold Trading. Once you purchase gold, you will be counted in our giveaway event.

3) At the close of this event, we will dust off, lubricate and then fire up our vintage Cray (model 3b) Super Computer to randomly select a winning entrant from each of our 3 servers. Once the winning entrants have been selected, they will be contacted for shipping information and receive a brand spanking new, Nintendo DS Lite with customized Perfect World branding, just in time for your Turkey festivities!

As number 2 states, you do not have to buy ZEN to enter. You just need to be crafty and determined enough to use the Auction House to your favor.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera