Tamed Pets Don't Look Like Wild Ones

Roojie - Lost City
Roojie - Lost City Posts: 59 Arc User
edited March 2009 in Support Desk
I play on the Lost City PvP Server

Hope this is in the right forum(if not please move it, I spent an hour looking around to make sure I was getting it right but I probly messed it up...); I sent in a ticket about a month ago including screenshots and a dx diag of the dramatic and ugly change between a wild mob and it's form once tamed. Since the last three patches don't seem to have done anything about it, before pestering them again, I want to know if it's just Lost City server, our select computers, that people are unobservant, or if there is just some strange issue. Because PW is very glitchy when it comes to patches but this problem has been there since I joined.
Here are some screenshots: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/Rookie19/PetDistortion.jpg

If that link doesn't work for some of you for some reason, let me explain quickly what I am talking about.

We'll make the heartless wolf, or the treeline wolf nearby Archosuar the example's.

In the wild where you can kill them they are well rounded, nicely textured, and they look kinda cool.
If you have the same problem me and three of my friends have then once you catch one it is blocky, pointy, ugly, the mesh is completely whacked, parts of your pet are detached from the body, and in the heartless' case? lower jaw is detached, eyes are too close, it looks like a freaking dino dog!

If you decide to check this out for yourself, I will warn you that reverting your pet to an egg drains it's loyalty. Sesame Oil is a big help with that though.

However some, like the Kowlin, do not have this issue so I am CONVINCED it is the game's problem and not my computer. Especially since one of my friends has a PC that could run things like The Sims 2 at full detail, texture, speed, full-screen resolution and PWI at the same time... and just to make it really clear; ... While in Archosuar West district. o_O;

Here is a list of pets that I have seen that have this same problem;

Treeline Based:
Treeline wolves, Snakevalley Bloodwolves, Neolithic Wolf
Snakes
Pentipace Vipent, Heptapace Vipent
Rinodrakes
Tectonic, Megaliths
Bluntclaw Kitten, Scout Lynxus, Shorttooth Kitten

Alright, now the reason I am here: Does anyone else have this problem???
Or know how to fix it?
PS Sorry if my spelling is horrible in some places.
EDIT: There is another thread entailing a bit about this same issue and can be found here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=67561&highlight=pets
Yet another thread, they also have this problem: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=966301#post966301
Post edited by Roojie - Lost City on

Comments

• Silberklaue - Heavens Tear
    Silberklaue - Heavens Tear Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    got the same problem with heartless wolf and blackhive wolfkin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Need help catching the Snow Hare (not to sell it -.-)? pm me! :)
  • Roojie - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    So it's not just us. ^^;
    Hopefully this will be a start to fixing it if we can point out the ones with the problems. I have a feeling there are lots...
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure but I think someone else started a thread with the same topic some time ago because they had this roblem with the heartless wolf too.

btw I meant snakevalley bloodwolf not heartless wolf^^

maybe I'll take some screenshots from other deformed pets if I come across them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roojie - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I'll have to hunt down that thread, if you remember the name of it I'll be glad to go find them. I did a few searches for it but I must not have used the proper tags. ^^;
    edited November 2008
    Only one I could find was this one:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=84432&

but nobody answered on it^^

I couldn't find the other thread, but in it someone was saying that he and his friend caught a heartless wolf which looked completely different after hatching.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ina1166
    ina1166 Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    If every fox person was running around with high-res models of the pets they caught, it would lag more.
    So there are these dumbed down versions.

I LMAO 'd at the detached jaw on the wolves...
    88 FIRE! An "anti-tank" projectile, accompanied by an AC-130 are on their way to ensure insanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    yah but why does the sharptooth wolfkin look normal?

and I think it wouldn't do much to the performance when at least the eyes were where they belong... :/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deliciouse
    deliciouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Not saying this is the problem but I noticed that the texture on the ground was a little low end. Do you have the visual setting for the game on the med or lower?

I know not everyone can run the game on high but have you tried the high end settings yet just to see if there is any difference in the quality of the pets?

I tested the quality of the pets on my system with different settings and it did make a difference in how they look. This could also be obviously different depending on system specs.

Just curious
    edited November 2008
    I'm playing with highest options (is this correct english?^^;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deliciouse
    deliciouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Yea it is and thanks for the info.
    Im gona try those pets tonight and see if I get the same results.
  • kotonoha
    kotonoha Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Woah. I thought that the Short Tooth Kittens just had an ancient character model or something, but I decided to experiment today, and...

Well... The tamed ones look very strange when side to side with the wild kitties.

That seems really odd to me, since I think people would spend more time looking at their pet than they would an enemy that they need to kill. I really hope it's not supposed to be this way. :/
  • Wrathx - Heavens Tear
    Wrathx - Heavens Tear Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I do a bit of 3d modeling myself and it's hard to guess at what's going on. I would have to guess initially that they are trying to save on some polygons which means the more polygons, the better the quality of the model but if too many polys on a screen at once, it can lag your computer out. I don't really understand why though. I mean when you are in a field there are sometimes lots and lots of creatures all around you and it doesn't lag you. If it does that's what the distance setting is pretty much for. What's the difference of having one more creature with the better looking creature model? I haven't come across a time when there has been too many people in an area (besides the gazillion shops in cities) where I have lagged due to too many creatures around.

Does the games 3d engine support LOD models? I never really thought to look whether I can notice them or not but I'll go in game and check. That would be an option as well though. LOD models are lower grade models that are used when looking at something that is far away. When the thing you are looking at gets within a certain distance, it starts using the better looking model, that way you can see more things far away without having to worry about lagging computers out with a ton of high quality models. You don't necessarily need to see every tooth or claw in detail from a long ways away.

On my veno I had noticed the same thing. I thought that in the wild the creatures looked pretty damn cool but when I tamed one and hatched it I was like...........wtf, where did this square nosed thing come from heh.
  • Wrathx - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    Ok just popped in and had a look and sure enough the game does use LOD models. Not much of a surprise, most games these days use them especially games with big open worlds like PWI. Even the character models themselves use LODs or that default character look anyways until you get close to them.

It looks like the tamed pets you get are using the LOD model instead of the higher quality one. Try this out, find a creature that is a fair ways away. Start moving closer to the creature but keep your eye on the creature. When you get within a certain distance suddenly it's body will change shape. That's when the model changes from the LOD model to the higher quality one. I just did this with the white eyed wolfkins at the mines, it's tough but you can see it. Look at one of the wolves from a distance when it is using it's LOD model, you'll notice that it looks like the tamed one you get and use.

I'm not sure if the GMs can answer this or not but was it intentional or can it be changed to use the better looking ones? One of the main reasons I use my Veno is because I like collecting pets as I get higher up in level but I also like the pets to look cool as well heh.

Decided to add a couple of pictures to show what I mean. The reason the pics are small is because I am far away from the creatures.

White eyed wolfkin higher res...
    Manager.pl?action=view&file=wolfkin%20HR.jpg

White eyed wolfkin LOD (only took a few steps back)...
    wolfkin%20LOD.jpg

Quillhog near the Mines higher res....
    quillhogHR.jpg

Quillhog LOD again only a few steps back.....
    quillhogLOD.jpg
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Have you guys tried the Verify option in the front end of the game?

Start the game, select Verify, click on Yes, and let the game verify that your game client's files match the server-side versions of the files. It will also redownload any files that don't match.

This will take some time. Please be patient.

After this process is done, try to get into the game again and see if the same issue(s) occur.

If this does not help, you may need to uninstall, and then re-install and freshly patch the game.

This may, or may not, fix the issue.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Tara - Lost City
    Tara - Lost City Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    wow this would make me not play Veno
    edited November 2008
    wow this would make me not play Veno

Well not all pets have this problem, if you stick to the wolf from the beginning or use magmites they'll look normal.

I'll try the verify option now and see if it gets any better...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    nah It didn't help. and I don't think It'll help to reinstall, but if anyone wants to try, please post here if you had success^^

Isn't it possible to change the models which are shown?
    Is it really that hard to fix?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kotonoha
    kotonoha Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    It didn't work for me, either. I also reinstalled everything, and let it verify all five thousand times that it wanted to, and it still didn't change anything. Oh well. I hope it can (and will) be fixed, hopefully soon.
  • Wrathx - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    I really think it should be a fairly easy thing to fix on the devs end. It's probably a matter of telling the game to use the other model instead of the one it is using now probably in a config file I would guess. It would be nice to have the better looking pets when you own the pet yourself.
  • Roojie - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    ina1166 wrote: »
    If every fox person was running around with high-res models of the pets they caught, it would lag more.
    So there are these dumbed down versions.

I LMAO 'd at the detached jaw on the wolves...

That makes no sense as a reason.
    All the Mobs in the game are high res meshes, customizations on people make the game lag, and the pets/mobs have a lower res mesh to drop down to at a distance so they don't lag. The problem is that the pets are stuck on that mesh at any distance which means some of the coding or a trigger is broken(this also means that the better looking pets that ARE on a high res mesh do NOT drop in detail at a distance.) <~~ either way you have an issue.

If this was the case then they:
    A. Would have all mobs on a lower poly mesh.
    B. Mounts would be blockey too.
    And
    C. It's not like the face customization, all the movements, and polies are the same. The only time you will really notice an issue with a pack of high res pets is if they are all on different meshes. Their movement, type, and style is already programmed into the game so it won't lag trying to load the settings for them like it will picking out all the tweaks on 10 people's characters. Lag isn't that much of an issue at all.
    On a side note: I have put all my settings on their highest, restarted the game, and others have noticed this on their computers with top settings also. The game is coded wrong somewhere and the changes between even the low quality meshes from mob to mob is a pretty good indication that something is messed up.

EDIT: I'll try reinstalling/patching the game again and report back on any changes.
  • halston
    halston Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    @ina1166: See, if that were the problem, don't you think the HUNDREDS of other monsters that are wild would be on a low res mesh too?

To top that off, NOT ALL CAPTURE PETS ARE ON LOW RES MESHES. If it really was because the game would lag, ALL pets would be on low res meshes, not certain ones.

Anyway, I'll try the verify my self and if that doesn't work I'll take the time to reinstall PWI. I've got nothing better to do today. XD
  • Roojie - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    Speaking of meshes and polygons and what-not, Thanks for checking on the LOD meshes Wrathx. I forgot that's what they were called... I messed with another game to see what was in it since it's an open source and the LOD meshes are pretty important. I'm not sure though, what trigger/text it needs to be on the right mesh... could be something so little as a 2 out of place. .__.;

Also, thanks to Kotonaha for some more screenies and Silberklaue for finding the other thread about the meshes. ^_^
  • Wrathx - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    Going by a couple other games I've played around with modding, I would have to guess that it's just a matter of changing the model name from the LOD one to the better looking one. I really wouldn't be surprised if that's all it took but they'd probably have to do that for all the tamable pets in the game.
  • Roojie - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I know how that goes... ugh, such a tedious mistake to make, I did that once... I hope they can fix it and/or have better luck with the expansion and not do it a second time- Don't want to give up on it though because the wolves are awesome lookin'. XD

Also, I finished the verification, it didn't say I needed any new patches or was missing files. It took three hours to download the game the first time so I'm not all that keen to completely reinstall it. Especially since didn't work for others. >_>;
    My friend didn't have any missing files either. I might have to call this the Fugly Pet Bug... Poor fugly pets. Them and their box butts, detached jaws, pencil legs, squished faces, and floating body parts...
    edited November 2008
    now I know how to name my wolf^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roojie - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I wonder if they will ever work on fixing the pets? Hope so...
  • Marutah - Harshlands
    Marutah - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i wonder if theyll ever fix the tamed pet models?

its sad, because theres a lot of underused pets that im sure the main reason they are underused is that they look like ****..

this game is about looks (otherwise there wounldnt be fashion and glowy effects and all that.. )

might as well hope that they can make our pets look good also..
  • darthpanda16
    edited March 2009
    Some of the creatures won't look like they did when they were under control of the Wraiths. They are a tamer, happier kind of beast, willing to help you out.
    They may not resemble their former selves, in their former lives of slavery, and doing what they are told all the time, who to attack, etc.

Oh, wait...b:laugh
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • darthpanda16
    edited March 2009
    In all seriousness though, try turning ALL the graphic settings up in Settings, and UI. See if it still occurs.

Tweak your graphic settings and see if you can get the game to show them better.
  • Terniti - Heavens Tear
    Terniti - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    thanks for the reply panda!

i have messed around with my settings and sometimes it works, but only to a degree..

it as if alot of the mobs in 'pet' form really lose their detail that they had in wild form.

minkii's lose their dreadlock beads, magmites lose their horns, some of the wolves (mentioned above) lose the meat on their bones and turn to weird skinny things..

i know its a minor minor issue in the grand scheme of everthing thats in a game and all. there are ways around it of course.. not picking the pet with the defects..

the only thing is im hoping is that steelhide grimikins (armored kittys) at lvl 50?ish keep their detail in the armor.. they are the coolest looking, and the main reason im lvling my ex-alt veno to higher levels.. i surpased my main a few lvls ago.. purly for this armored kitty
This discussion has been closed.