PWI Giveaway! Winners Announced! (see post #75)

Options

Comments

• Zenpachi - Heavens Tear
    Zenpachi - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I read somewhere that paying customers were not given an advantage.
    I'm pretty sure that my owning a DS doesn't give me an advantage in PWI. I could be wrong. I mean, I guess playing Brain Age might make me more mentally equipped.

Well, ok, I see your point. b:chuckle

I thought it was against federal and state lottery laws for a profit-making entity to give away a prize by random drawing if a purchase is required to enter the drawing. That's why sweepstakes always say "No purchase necessary" and provide an alternate method of entry that doesn't require a purchase. Since a Zen purchase is required to win the DS, isn't this promotion illegal?
    You do have a point. I am now wondering if this is legal.
  • Elstra - Heavens Tear
    Elstra - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options

I think this new scam wont work this time...

I hope you guys aren't being really greedy... I don't want to charge ZEN... AND I don't want a DS.

Is this another scam to get more money?

Don't charge zen = You won't get a DS.... Simple no ?

How is this a scam? This is microtransaction game where the only source of profit for PWI is the cash shop. It's in the developers interest to make zen charging more appealing. This is not a browser game supported by adverts, and I much prefer it this way. It's lucky there is the option to play without the cash shop, and that the cash shop is not imperative to progress in the game. Is it a scam that WoW makes you pay a subscription fee? I can't believe that threads like this keep popping up so much. phew...
  • Ermosa - Heavens Tear
    Ermosa - Heavens Tear Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    well, halloween event made gold price higher....now it should drop as there will be more golds in game..yay for ppl who buy golds with ingame money ^^
    those r only my thoughts...
  • alahas
    alahas Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that my owning a DS doesn't give me an advantage in PWI. I could be wrong. I mean, I guess playing Brain Age might make me more mentally equipped.

Well, ok, I see your point. b:chuckle

You do have a point. I am now wondering if this is legal.

How about this. PWI GM shut's down the servers in us. which this might If anoying people like this keeps complaining. Then what would this people do. wine and dine still...LOL
  • Chizzy - Lost City
    Chizzy - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    How many people play on each server....... How much money are you guys makin...... How many DS's per server.... I might have done the math wrong but that sounds kinda LAME! The HUNDREDS of people paying at least $20 and your only giving 1 person a DS! You can do better than that!
  • Zenpachi - Heavens Tear
    Zenpachi - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    alahas wrote: »
    How about this. PWI GM shut's down the servers in us. which this might If anoying people like this keeps complaining. Then what would this people do. wine and dine still...LOL
    I'm not complaining. I am legitimately wondering how legal this promotion is. Honestly, if anything, I am trying to help keep the servers from shutting down by enforcing what Renara said. I'm not sure they can survive legal action and any fines that might come because of a 'silly oversight.'
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I don't think it will increase the zen sales greatly. Maybe some players will buy a bit more.

I think it's normal for them to make some events more geared towards the players who support the game by buying zen. Without them, PWI would be closed. And all those playing for free would be left wihtout a game to play. I don't se anything wrong with having some of those events reserver to paying players.

There was also event were you had absolutely nothing to pay get something :

- The quizz event (may I point to you that a similar event was made on the MY server, where you had to use teleacoustic to answer on the world chat if you wanted to have a chance to win... Here you only had to whisper the GM. Cost : 0$)

- The 1.5 XP MySpace event. All you have to do is register to MySpace and add them to your friends. Total cost : 0$

- The Halloween event : free temporary fashion and free temporary +30 attack item. Granted there was also another part of it where you had to buy stuff. But at least everyone got something from it, even if temporarily. And lots of people were selling guardian angels at the time anyway, so everyone could at least buy a couple and hope to get something good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Sereniama - Heavens Tear
    Sereniama - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I thought it was against federal and state lottery laws for a profit-making entity to give away a prize by random drawing if a purchase is required to enter the drawing. That's why sweepstakes always say "No purchase necessary" and provide an alternate method of entry that doesn't require a purchase. Since a Zen purchase is required to win the DS, isn't this promotion illegal?

The "sweepstakes" article on Wikipedia seems to uphold my understanding of the law as it relates to this promotion. What am I missing here?

This game is gonna get arrested by the FBI...

NICE GOING DVORAK!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sou Sou Moutoku = The most badass **** in Anime History. Never diss Kohime Musou or die.
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Btw,

I am gonna call the FBI on you Dvorak untill you remove ZEN or just make it no purchase nessesary... (Joke)

This is really illegal and it feels like RuneScape...

IT MAKES MY PANCREAS HURTS EACH TIME I SEE THIS!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sou Sou Moutoku = The most badass **** in Anime History. Never diss Kohime Musou or die.
  • Zethanal - Heavens Tear
    Zethanal - Heavens Tear Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Btw,

I am gonna call the FBI on you Dvorak untill you remove ZEN or just make it no purchase nessesary... (Joke)

This is really illegal and it feels like RuneScape...

IT MAKES MY PANCREAS HURTS EACH TIME I SEE THIS!!!

Seren honestly... You think anyone would like to see that? ALL games have sweepstakes in them WITHOUT no purchase nessesary. You dont need to call the FBI at ALL. You dont HAVE to buy a DS. So please just calm down and chill with a chillpod (Calm down) ok?
    "Death is just a new path, a path everyone has to take." -Gandalf
  • Ajriaz_skaya - Heavens Tear
    Ajriaz_skaya - Heavens Tear Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Pssst.
    Out of curiosity, the shipping is restricted to what area ? Because, you know, copyrights limitations, import taxes, censorship regulation, market protection and whatever **** governments have in place to control exchanges may well void a win ...

That's a real question, not an attack nor sarcasm. :)
    Due to import/export regulations, where to can you ship ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nevermore - Heavens Tear
    Nevermore - Heavens Tear Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    But it's not a giveaway. It's a raffle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Giveaway.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Venoblood - Heavens Tear
    Venoblood - Heavens Tear Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options

Well, ok, I see your point.

How about the fact that the regular customers aren't able to participate in the event, because it is for paying customers only? If these events are going to continue to attract the gold-collar workers, then I don't plan on staying.
  • Nevermore - Heavens Tear
    Nevermore - Heavens Tear Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    From dictionary.com

raffle:

1. a form of lottery in which a number of persons buy one or more chances to win a prize
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    Renara - Heavens Tear Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Seren honestly... You think anyone would like to see that? ALL games have sweepstakes in them WITHOUT no purchase nessesary. You dont need to call the FBI at ALL. You dont HAVE to buy a DS. So please just calm down and chill with a chillpod (Calm down) ok?

I beg to differ. A "no purchase necessary" clause is usually found in the official rules because the companies offering the sweepstakes are aware of the lottery laws and are careful to comply. You just haven't bothered to read the official rules of those other sweepstakes.

And no, you don't have to buy a DS, but you do have to buy Zen in order to enter to win the DS. That's the part that appears to me to be illegal.

By the way, I believe the most appropriate organization to contact about an illegal lottery would be the Federal Trade Commission, not the FBI. The FTC is the "federal watchdog" agency that protects consumers against unfair business practices, among other things. A report can be filed directly through the FTC's website.
    "Sorry, we don't need a barbarian. We have a frog."
  • Lord biorn - Heavens Tear
    Lord biorn - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    K, some of you need to calm down cause you're acting like fools.

Now, as for this so called GIVEAWAY...That's not the word I would have used for it, I would have used RAFFLE, because that's what it is. A GIVEAWAY is when you give something totally free, not people having to pay. But, that's neither here nor there now. I understand the makers of the game having events where players need to pay. Do any of you realize just how much it costs to keep a game like this running? For most of you, probubly not...I do. I used to run one in the 80's, and it was much cheaper then. Now prices are skyrocketed compared to then. Between server costs, specially if you have more than 1 server...maintinance, paying the people who work for you, lawyers and such...it takes a lot. So having RAFFLES such as this is very neccessary.

As for people being forced... Sorry, but noone is holding a gun to your head making you pay for anything. Temptation may be strong, but you need to having a stronger gut and say no if it's not what you want.

Now, for the legalities...For which I am quite sure all are in place. If anyone has noticed by the listing of this event...the Nintendo DS in question is supposed to have not only a picture of Perfect World on it's system, but the game itself, if my understanding is correct, is installed on the DS already before the winner recieves it. SO! In order for that to happen, the makers of Nintendo DS have to have been approached by the makers of PW, makers and lawyers between both parties discussed said situation and agreed up on, papers have been signed by both parties and makers to have said system installed and decorated as such. Does this answer your question on LEGALITIES Renar?

So now....instead of people throwing a tissy because something like this is done, first try understanding what it is and why it's done certain ways before having a cow.
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Now, for the legalities...For which I am quite sure all are in place. If anyone has noticed by the listing of this event...the Nintendo DS in question is supposed to have not only a picture of Perfect World on it's system, but the game itself, if my understanding is correct, is installed on the DS already before the winner recieves it. SO! In order for that to happen, the makers of Nintendo DS have to have been approached by the makers of PW, makers and lawyers between both parties discussed said situation and agreed up on, papers have been signed by both parties and makers to have said system installed and decorated as such. Does this answer your question on LEGALITIES Renar?

First, to clear up your misconception: My understanding is that PW is not installed on the DS units. (I doubt such a feat is even possible!) Their cases have simply been modified to show PW imagery and logos.

Alas, if anything, you've raised additional questions about legalities. What is the degree of Nintendo's participation in this promotion? Is Nintendo even aware of the association of their product with PW, and did they approve its use in a random drawing that requires a purchase to enter?

Perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to address these legal issues for us, including my original question about the legality of a "giveaway" that requires a purchase.
  • Lord biorn - Heavens Tear
    Lord biorn - Heavens Tear Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    First, to clear up your misconception: My understanding is that PW is not installed on the DS units. (I doubt such a feat is even possible!) Their cases have simply been modified to show PW imagery and logos.

Alas, if anything, you've raised additional questions about legalities. What is the degree of Nintendo's participation in this promotion? Is Nintendo even aware of the association of their product with PW, and did they approve its use in a random drawing that requires a purchase to enter?

Perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to address these legal issues for us, including my original question about the legality of a "giveaway" that requires a purchase.

K, Renar...you're right... I did in fact misunderstand that part. Thank you for pointing it out. I reread the notice and as you state, it's just a system with a picture on it. Sorry to everyone else who I may have confused on this. Even so, they would definitely have to have documented permission from Nintendo in order to use their system in a raffle where it is used as a purchased product. I sincerely hope PW has done everything necessary to make sure this event is completely legal. Even placing a picture of PW on their system requires legal interludes.

So now, I do agree with Renar..... PW...how about coming in and setting things straight for your players here? Honest questions deserve honest answers.
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Update - After hearing about everyone's feedback regarding this event, we've decided to open up the raffle to anyone who purchases Gold, either through the Charge ZEN function on our site, or through the in-game Auction House.

So to be clear, if you buy Gold through the Auction House, you'll be entered into the drawing as well.

At the end of next Friday, we'll look into our logs and our system and randomly choose winners according to the criteria above.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    Update - After hearing about everyone's feedback regarding this event, we've decided to open up the raffle to anyone who purchases Gold, either through the Charge ZEN function on our site, or through the in-game Auction House.

So to be clear, if you buy Gold through the Auction House, you'll be entered into the drawing as well.

At the end of next Friday, we'll look into our logs and our system and randomly choose winners according to the criteria above.

Well done, gentlemen! That's an intelligent and downright clever solution to the legality issue, and also fairer to those who don't have deep pockets. Thank you for listening to us!
  • Arthiex - Lost City
    Arthiex - Lost City Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    alahas wrote: »
    What are you guys so mad about! You guys are playing the game for free! And download the game for free without having you spend a penny! And all of you ungrateful #$%^&*( is complaining about how expensive ZEN is. The company is not pointing a gun to your head so that you buy ZEN. They are simply letting you all know what type of event they have. If you have problem on how they run or manage PWI. Then go play other games or better yet play WOW because right on the spot you have to pay monthly if you want to continue playing.

This game provides every single player a satisfaction on game play and enough for everyone to be happy without them using ZEN. On the other hand if you want to get on unique weapon
  • Arthiex - Lost City
    Arthiex - Lost City Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Giveaway.....

Give away youre right b:laugh

Ppl give away their $$ :P

but its not totaly lost "I hope for those "b:puzzled
  • Tomiko - Heavens Tear
    Tomiko - Heavens Tear Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    >.> wow.. people are in rage, It's on the event title "Giveaway event" meaning.. you people give away money to pw co. It's like giving money to charity.
  • xieveral
    xieveral Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I'm willing to bet the "randomly chosen" winners paid cash only unless PWI can prove otherwise.
    Faction- SevenWind
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    xieveral wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet the "randomly chosen" winners paid cash only unless PWI can prove otherwise.

Don't worry they will be releasing the source codes of their rand() function of their "super" computer shortly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • xarfox
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Don't worry they will be releasing the source codes of their rand() function of their "super" computer shortly.

if (player = cash shop user)
    then print "You Win!"

Just kidding guys. I can assure you that anyone who purchases gold through the Auction House will be counted in this giveaway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    if (player = cash shop user)
    then print "You Win!"

Just kidding guys. I can assure you that anyone who purchases gold through the Auction House will be counted in this giveaway.

ooo I hope that one is it. Using an assignment (=) instead of comparison (==) will guarantee a return 'true' every time. DS for all!! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • Zezixx - Lost City
    Zezixx - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    But I want a new gaming system instead =[

Gimmie dat fools or i be trippin' all ova yo momma like dat homie.
    Yeah, I'm cool.

b:victory
    Don't call me stupid because I'm less smart than you won't ever be.
  • xarfox
    edited November 2008
    Options
    But I want a new gaming system instead =[

Gimmie dat fools or i be trippin' all ova yo momma like dat homie.
    Yeah, I'm cool.

b:victory

Your input has been noted sir. We're always open for suggestions on potential future prizes. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]