Is PWI worth playing?

pstoff
pstoff Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
I didn't download PWI yet because i have yet to decide if it's worth it, the game seems pretty cool but i currently play WOW (World of Warcraft) and dont know if i should switch. So should i quit WOW and play this? Opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Post edited by pstoff on

Comments

• darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    You can play both. PWI is FREE.

WoW costs $15 a month, plus the initial game cost.

There are tons of players to interact with in PWI, a helpful community, and the PWE staff are kinda nice too. b:bye
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    What kind of answer do you expect on something that's the official Perfect World International forum?

And considering that it's free2play, you can just download it for free, make an account for free, and play it as much as you want for free. If you don't like it, just leave and go back to WoW.
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • pstoff
    pstoff Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Tyvm. b:laugh i'll try it out, didnt know it was for free. (I must be going blind...) b:cry
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Just a warning, the game is heavily slanted towards the purchase of healing (HP and MP) charms about mid-game. Indeed, some players refuse to party with those without them. They can be purchased by spending real money, or buying from the auction house.
  • Puresoul - Lost City
    Puresoul - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    If u never played this game b4.. it worths a try..
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    The following are my own gamer opinions and not representative of PWE's whatsoever.

You can play the game without buying anything. You just need to have some skills with your Consignment Shop and the Auction House.

Some of us aren't allowed to buy Zen because we work for PWE, so we know you can play the game just fine without it to obtain what you need in game. Like the real world, just takes some ambition and skills b:pleased
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • pwhan
    pwhan Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Originally I wasn't going to post as he is already going to give it a try and that is what it requires for anyone to make such a decision for themselves. However, after the last post, I felt the need.

Way to go in shutting down those that use the cash shop (the ones that keep this game in business) as not having the proper ambition and skills. It's fine that some are not allowed to use cash (alluding to GMs I assume) and can "survive" the game without paying cash. I am sure there are many that play the game without using the cash shop. Most of them still use the items sold in the cash shop, but purchased in game from players that purchased them from the cash shop.

Using in game coins to buy gold to use in the cash shop at a rate of 100k+ coins to 1 gold also supports the cash shop. The fact remains that the game is heavily geared toward having to buy cash shop items in order to have a decent level of playability. One of the earliest quests is a tease to give you a taste of what charms can do for you.

My personal experience (and I have played many MMORPGS and their predecessors for 20 years) is that even those with skill and ambition will spend real money playing this game in order to play at a pace that compares to other F2P or subscription games. I personally pay well more than the $15 a month subscription fee for WoW.

On a final note, the game has pretty nice graphics and design. The customization of all of the character's faces, but Barbarians is great early on (until you realize everyone mostly looks the same from the distances you usually see them). And levels 1 - 40 are fairly fun and only moderately tedious depending on how you go about questing. The translation from the Chinese version is superb compared to most, with only a few instances of poor spelling or grammar.

I'd be interested in hearing how it is for someone fresh out of WoW. I haven't played WoW or any MMORPG for over a year and so my comparisons may not be the best. This game was great for introducing my girlfriend to MMORPGs, preparing her and opening her up to the possibilities of larger ones.

All in all, it is definitely worth giving a try, though I would try playing without spending any real money and see if you have the required skill and ambition to do so. If not, simply go back to WoW or another game as all of us that do not have the skill and ambition to play without spending cash should do. Good luck!
  • darthpanda16
    edited November 2008
    The following are my own gamer opinions, not representative of PWE's whatsoever.

I'm not saying those that buy items don't have ambition and skills, because they do. We see you all play!! That is putting words on my screen I didn't type. Not cool. b:pleased

There are some VERY crafty players that use the Consignment Shop and Auction House to their advantage to do things in the game. I wish I was as good as they are, because for some of us, it is a challenge.

Buying some items does make it easier for some elements of the game. That was the way it seems to be designed.

But as a member of the hair club, as well as working on the game, and playing the game, I like the challenge, and like playing within certain limits in order to succeed. As a gamer, I like being able to accomplish things and say hey! I didn't pay anything yet, and look what I've done!
    But that is just me and the play style I am stuck in.

When testing patches on offline servers before they go live, it is truly awesome to buy some things to make life easier in-game. But it doesn't help me on the online servers.

I would elaborate on WoW, Fallout 3 (AWESOME), WAR, and other games, but we aren't allowed to discuss them in depth here on the forums.

It all comes down to what you like, how you like to play, and where your friends are that want to play with you.
  • Crash - Heavens Tear
    Crash - Heavens Tear Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    if hp/hp charms were cheaper, this truely would be the greatiest game that u would ever play, but shamefully as the GM's no we realy need them, theres not a flying chance in donkey hell that they will lower them again lol
    retired from PWI server Heavens Tear, October 2008
    want to start on Harshlands ASAP!
  • kelieve
    kelieve Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    I like this game, and I think the graphics are awesome, but the only thing I do not like are the quests. I did not get that far, but up to level 19, all the quests required me to kill something in some sort of way, which eventually got me bored, just like all the other PWE games I've played.
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    kelieve wrote: »
    I like this game, and I think the graphics are awesome, but the only thing I do not like are the quests. I did not get that far, but up to level 19, all the quests required me to kill something in some sort of way, which eventually got me bored, just like all the other PWE games I've played.

new quest for you then:

Necromancer's Apprentice:
    Find a two year old thread and necro it.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Quoted a necro, fail -.-
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    hahaha. i was reading the posts and saw 100k per 1g. then looked at the date. ah, the times when none of us would dream of 7 figure gold prices.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Simply put: PWI is free to play, but pay to win.

Holy ****, i just saw the OP date. Fail necro is fail kid, where do you people even find these threads...
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    tinkus wrote: »
    Just a warning, the game is heavily slanted towards the purchase of healing (HP and MP) charms about mid-game. Indeed, some players refuse to party with those without them. They can be purchased by spending real money, or buying from the auction house.

I play a veno (101) and a Wiz (96) and disagree. -Build proper and save.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • satellite1028
    satellite1028 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I honestly think you should try it because im gonna download it to try it cuz like a year or two ago i was downloading it but when it was done i was over my cousins for a few days and when i got home i went to go play it and found out my sister broke my laptop lol

i think it looks rlly cool tho and im downloading it now :)
  • Euthymius - Heavens Tear
    Euthymius - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Above Poster...
    Y U No leave dead thread alone?
    double necro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Remember: OP may be a duck|OP/GMs/Devs may not deliver|Search function is your friend|Lurk more|Be wary of Mods: they can't be trusted|This place isn't a hugbox|Your tears sustain me|Know what Bait is|"Soon" may never come|Postcount, Dubs, and other GETs are important|Don't revive long dead threads|There is a section for everything|You can be banned for anything|No Fun Allowed outside of OT|Sweetiebot rules OT|"Circlejerks" are inevitable|Threads can be derailed and saved|Those who use"XD" should off themselves at their earliest convenience|
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    It's time to end this thread's suffering... May a mod close that topic for good, please? b:surrender
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • GumyBear - Raging Tide
    GumyBear - Raging Tide Posts: 365 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    /InBe4Lock b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shotwhointhewhat
    shotwhointhewhat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Ahh, the good ol' days. Back when some PWE staff were paid to communicate with the playerbase.