Spaces in Names

pwhan
pwhan Posts: 22 Arc User
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
Pardon me if the answer to this is listed somewhere and I have missed it.

The last four or five days, newer characters have been appearing with spaces in their names. I *think* I tried to put a space in my name when creating one of my main characters a few weeks ago and could not. However, I could be mistaken. Anyway, I saw it and liked it and so I have created a character with a space in his name. However, I have heard of some bannings recently because of numbers in names and overheard one player telling another that spaces are not allowed.

Before I spend any money, send items, or spend any time on this alt, I would like to know if having a space in your name is allowed. Or will the character be banned and I lose access to any items purchased or mailed to him?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am looking for an official response from a GM or Mod on this, please. I do not have a character banned and so I felt this a question readily answered here than submitting a ticket.
Post edited by pwhan on

Comments

• Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I have two characters wih spaces in their names.. If it is bannable, it's rather stupid. They shouldn't let us create these names then ban us when we've put effort into them o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kyoudai - Heavens Tear
    Kyoudai - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Maybe this will answer your question:

PWI Community Forums: Rules of Conduct v1.0 - read meh!

17. No representing banned members.
    Don't represent any banned individuals. They were banned for a reason. Assisting them in any way or form will lump you in the same boat.

18. No public discussion about disciplinary action administered to members.
    If you have any questions regarding rules, disciplinary actions, user bans, or even a thread move, please use the Customer Support Ticketing System or PM function of the board to contact us.

Sorry, I don't want to be banned just for saying anything so I leave it up to you to contact Customer Support.
    [SIGPIC]HighElves Faction[/SIGPIC]
  • Onishi - Heavens Tear
    Onishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Maybe this will answer your question:

PWI Community Forums: Rules of Conduct v1.0 - read meh!

17. No representing banned members.
    Don't represent any banned individuals. They were banned for a reason. Assisting them in any way or form will lump you in the same boat.

18. No public discussion about disciplinary action administered to members.
    If you have any questions regarding rules, disciplinary actions, user bans, or even a thread move, please use the Customer Support Ticketing System or PM function of the board to contact us.

Sorry, I don't want to be banned just for saying anything so I leave it up to you to contact Customer Support.

Honestly this quote should not apply to this, he isn't asking who was banned, if someone was banned etc.. He's asking is this an offense, and while I'm pretty sure it isn't if it is, it should definitely be known publicly if it is. I'm all for people's privacy, but that isn't what this is about.

Really I think it's about time for the GMs to make a large sticky, of clear cut things that if you are busted doing you will be banned. I mean you seriously have to dig, somewhere into the middle of several small threads to determine that the gouf/kisma bug is indeed an officially notable bug. I'm all for banning of bug exploits... but they do need to be clearly documented and written out, and I for one think that is where the GMs are slacking right now.
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    There were some name filter issues that have now been fixed. Please contact Support and Ticketing to have your character's name fixed. Spaces are not allowed in names, since a few systems don't like them (mostly whispers, I think).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jeiiy - Heavens Tear
    Jeiiy - Heavens Tear Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    There were some name filter issues that have now been fixed. Please contact Support and Ticketing to have your character's name fixed. Spaces are not allowed in names, since a few systems don't like them (mostly whispers, I think).
    Yeh, if whispered in exampe to a guy called "Gary Coleman", it'll appear as:

To Gary : Coleman test.
    "Gary" is not online.

Yes, so its kind of a problem.
  • pwhan
    pwhan Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Thank you all for your helpful responses.

Thanks much, gattsuru. I'll ticket it.
  • kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    There were some name filter issues

Finally :-)

Every older thread I've seen on this bug (and I surely haven't seen all of them) was just killed off with a "talk to support" and closed.

There was clearly a bug or an insane GM, but in accordance to standard F2P regulations, no explanations were given to the public.

Other than that, just banning people and hoping they contact support is NOT the correct way of handling this. Especially since this isn't a dangerous bug; they could have left those players playing, change "invalid" characters to underscores automatically and put a notification mail into their mailbox to contact support for a name change. Or have it pop up on login --- but that probably needs a little code change.
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • langrisser
    langrisser Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I had the same problem with my name. This thread helped me alot to take the right steps to fix my problem. I have sent in a ticket as well and hope things turn out well, thanks again for the useful info.