Can I play two accounts at once? *dual boxing*

driftuss
driftuss Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
Im downloading the game at the moment and my friends and i were wondering if we can play two accounts at once on one computer, if anyone knows plz reply. thank you.
Post edited by driftuss on

Comments

• Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Dual boxing is 1 client each on 2 or more pc's. This is allowed

2 or more clients on a single machine is not allowed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    No. Only one active account per computer (computer defined by motherboard) at any one time. Running multiple copies of the client at a time on a single computer is a bannable offense. The client software will even try to stop you from doing so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryiah
    ryiah Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    No. Only one active account per computer (computer defined by motherboard) at any one time. Running multiple copies of the client at a time on a single computer is a bannable offense. The client software will even try to stop you from doing so.
    How about the unlikely event that I manage to get the game running under a virtual machine?
  • Crash - Heavens Tear
    Crash - Heavens Tear Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    this game is very easy to trick into puting on 5 game accounts on 1 computer,
    not gonna say how cos ill get baned, and no, i dont use it my self on this game, it works for any game actualy.
    retired from PWI server Heavens Tear, October 2008
    want to start on Harshlands ASAP!
  • ryiah
    ryiah Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well the difference with a virtual machine is the game doesn't really see anything outside of the virtual machine. Only catch is the average VM doesn't have hardware video acceleration so it tends to be bad for gaming in most cases.
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    How about the unlikely event that I manage to get the game running under a virtual machine?
    I don't know the official word on that, but I'd personally consider it a Bad Idea for multiple reasons. For starters, neither QEmu nore VMWare are that efficient, or even that good about dealing with network interfaces, and getting video hardware acceleration like the necessary DirectDraw8 together is a pain.

I like to stick by the cautious side of the rules, and what I've read is always referring by computer, not by the operating system. Virtual machine software is less likely to be overwhelming catastrophic as some of the other methods, but I assume the code to prevent the same machine from running multiple copies does exist for a reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • driftuss
    edited November 2008
    Well i been an mmo player for about 3 yrs and in many that i have played i had 2 accounts on 1 computer and its been fine. There are some games that have strict security that will tell you, you cant run two clients.
    So my question now if i may rephrase is?
    Can two clients be running at the same time over another on same computer?
  • driftuss
    edited November 2008
    sorry gatssuru i missed your reply, thnx.
    I guess the client will stop me from trying to dual box.
    Thnx guys n gals. You have an Awesome community here btw. =D
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    The term dual boxing, or multi-boxing usally means multiple PCs and an instance of the game running on each. Like that one guy with 36 WoW accounts and a ton of PCs. INSANE.

So you CAN multi-box, one account per physical PC.

You can not multi-client on the same physical computer. If you're caught, you're banned.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • Blakiepoo - Sanctuary
    Blakiepoo - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    So does each computer need different user accounts? Or can I log both in with the same user ID, using 2 different characters on each computer?
  • Aryannaveno - Sanctuary
    Aryannaveno - Sanctuary Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    So does each computer need different user accounts? Or can I log both in with the same user ID, using 2 different characters on each computer?

No that is not possible. You need to have 1 account per computer.
  • Blakiepoo - Sanctuary
    Blakiepoo - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ok. thanks for the info
  • ZangetsuHC - Sanctuary
    ZangetsuHC - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    ryiah wrote: »
    Well the difference with a virtual machine is the game doesn't really see anything outside of the virtual machine. Only catch is the average VM doesn't have hardware video acceleration so it tends to be bad for gaming in most cases.
    well yes its possible and very easy!!! and please dont ban me cause i know about those things!
    but question to GM's. how U caught a person who runs multi client enabler(other word client renamer) and play several accaunts at the same time?
  • Missebil - Dreamweaver
    Missebil - Dreamweaver Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    One question: Why the hell would you want to? One account is confusing enough!
    Proud member of Midnight Faction!
  • Benjabob - Dreamweaver
    Benjabob - Dreamweaver Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    people would use it most likely to eitehr trade between accounts, fight tough mobs that need more than 1 player but want to keep all rewards to themselves or maybe some otehr reasons, none of which I can think of.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    They can see your IP address. They can find your MAC address. Just with that info its not hard for them to tell.

Even I know how to do that. I just discovered PWI's IP and MAC. lol
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    my friends computer has 3 motherboards

(an atom and 2 core quads)
    does that mean he can run 3 clients?
  • Ravira - Sanctuary
    Ravira - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Situation:

Husband and wife want to play the game together.
    Husband uses his own account on the PC, wife uses her own account on a laptop.
    Can they be in a party together, even though the IP addresses are the same? (coming from a wireless router)

My husband tried this and he couldn't party with me for some reason. The server couldn't find me when inviting me in his party and I couldn't find him, even though we were both logged in on Sanctuary on seperate accounts...
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Situation:

Can they be in a party together, even though the IP addresses are the same? (coming from a wireless router)

My husband tried this and he couldn't party with me for some reason. The server couldn't find me when inviting me in his party and I couldn't find him, even though we were both logged in on Sanctuary on seperate accounts...

There should be no problems with that. You are talking about a networking issue and in this case IP address needs to get paired with a MAC address or it doesn't mean anything. You can have 20 computers all behind the same router which will show all of them with the same IP even if they are different computers.

Seeing MAC's isn't hard, I have a tool on my computer that can do that with ease.
    Main characters
  • Amy_Nailo - Lost City
    Amy_Nailo - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Situation:

I have no problem playing with my girlfriend, we are both on our computer, behind a router doing NAT. Basicly we have 1 connection, 1 IP but we can still play because we use different ports (all of this is transparent).

What I want to know, is WHY is it a bannable offense to run 2 clients on 1 computer. Seriously I see absolutly no advantage of doing so, but this rules only prevent people with only 1 computer to set up a cat shop while they play with their real account (for exemple). This is something I can do, having 2 computers.

I would just like to know why such a rule exists in the first place.

- Amy
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have no problem playing with my girlfriend, we are both on our computer, behind a router doing NAT. Basicly we have 1 connection, 1 IP but we can still play because we use different ports (all of this is transparent).

What I want to know, is WHY is it a bannable offense to run 2 clients on 1 computer. Seriously I see absolutly no advantage of doing so, but this rules only prevent people with only 1 computer to set up a cat shop while they play with their real account (for exemple). This is something I can do, having 2 computers.

I would just like to know why such a rule exists in the first place.

- Amy
    Because Bot runners would use this to run multiple accounts per computer to farm mobs/coin/items to sell online to idiots dumb enough to pay them. This type of activity is rampant in many games that allow multiple clients to be running on one machine. That's why.

~Saitada
  • Vanyadarknae - Heavens Tear
    Vanyadarknae - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    In our household we have 3 computers and 1 laptop, two of the computers have the PWI client on them. We share the same IP address, but each computer has there own computer ID, which is the way it should be. We have never had an issue playing the game together in any aspects of game play. Two clients of Perfect world can't even be installed on the same computer the files are over written, which is great in my opinion. Why would anyone want to run two clients on a computer at the same time, with the intense graphics of PWI even the best graphic card would eventually wear down. Hehe, I find playing one account is hard enough, I can't imagine playing two clients at the same time, I would be bald from frustration. However, I do have a question? If you have a client on your computer and a client on an external hard drive, so you can travel (vacation, work, etc.) and play the game is this legal in PWI's eyes. Even with this you still can't run two clients at one time.
    [SIGPIC]shylael.net/guildpics/vsigfinal.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    In our household we have 3 computers and 1 laptop, two of the computers have the PWI client on them. We share the same IP address, but each computer has there own computer ID, which is the way it should be. We have never had an issue playing the game together in any aspects of game play. Two clients of Perfect world can't even be installed on the same computer the files are over written, which is great in my opinion. Why would anyone want to run two clients on a computer at the same time, with the intense graphics of PWI even the best graphic card would eventually wear down. Hehe, I find playing one account is hard enough, I can't imagine playing two clients at the same time, I would be bald from frustration. However, I do have a question? If you have a client on your computer and a client on an external hard drive, so you can travel (vacation, work, etc.) and play the game is this legal in PWI's eyes. Even with this you still can't run two clients at one time.

I don't see why that would be a problem. They know people travel.
    Main characters
  • Mirathyl - Sanctuary
    Mirathyl - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2009

Something I've been wondering about lately that kind of goes with a set up like this. Perhaps I'm thinking too particular but is it to be one account per mac address or can it be used for multiple accounts (obviously not at the same time). I've got a desktop at home that I don't use all that often and sometimes my friends use it if we play networked games (and I use it at times if my laptop is giving me problems). How does that work into it? Or if I had two accounts I used and swapped the systems I used them on?

Hopefully not too confusing xD
    "We don't know what we're going to do when we get there, but we're not going to die without good reason."
    - Heero Yuy, Gundam Wing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Mirathyl
  • kooshdin
    kooshdin Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Dual boxing is 1 client each on 2 or more pc's. This is allowed

2 or more clients on a single machine is not allowed.

Why is 2 clients on one machine not allowed ? I have 2 accounts, i dont use one of them but was hoping to maybe use it for playing while i had my shop up ?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    This seems to be one of those times where you don't ask how or why it is, you just accept the fact that it is and move on.
    Main characters
  • Vanyadarknae - Heavens Tear
    Vanyadarknae - Heavens Tear Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Mirathyl,

I would think it would go by your computer ID, not IP address. In todays times it is not uncommon for households to have multiple computers using the same IP. From what I am gathering you could have 10 computers in your house and have 10 accounts as long as only 1 account/client is on each computer. PWI, would have to calrify this though.
    I also agree with Zoe, best is have one client running on your computer, thats pretty cut and dry, hehe...
    [SIGPIC]shylael.net/guildpics/vsigfinal.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Mirathyl - Sanctuary
    Mirathyl - Sanctuary Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Mirathyl,

I would think it would go by your computer ID, not IP address. In todays times it is not uncommon for households to have multiple computers using the same IP. From what I am gathering you could have 10 computers in your house and have 10 accounts as long as only 1 account/client is on each computer. PWI, would have to calrify this though.
    I also agree with Zoe, best is have one client running on your computer, thats pretty cut and dry, hehe...

I guess I wasn't that clear, my question was about switching which account is on which MAC address. Like if I have company over and they use my computer to use their account or something like that. I wouldn't want my friends or myself (or my IP) for being banned for hanging together. x3
    "We don't know what we're going to do when we get there, but we're not going to die without good reason."
    - Heero Yuy, Gundam Wing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Mirathyl
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    I guess I wasn't that clear, my question was about switching which account is on which MAC address. Like if I have company over and they use my computer to use their account or something like that. I wouldn't want my friends or myself (or my IP) for being banned for hanging together. x3

There would be nothing wrong with that at all. Sharing a computer is perfectly fine and they know that of course, people will not always log on with the same ip/mac.

The main 2 things that the GM's look for:

More than one client running off of the same mac at the same time. (they can tell)

Account sharing. For example if an account has an IP that says they are in the US one minute, then an IP from Europe the next, something is clearly wrong.
    Main characters
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1406881&postcount=5

Posted by shnuggles on the topic of dual-clienting, a form of dual-boxing not allowed on PWI.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.