BM Weapon/Build Overview

Monarch - Lost City
Monarch - Lost City Posts: 227 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Blademaster
There have been alot of posts lately asking about weapons and builds, and TW strats. This is the start of a guide that we can use. If there is anything that you'd want to change or add, please PM it to me and I'll see that it gets added. (NOTE: This has been compiled by other threads in this BM subforum. Not all content is mine.)

First, Why be a BM:
- Good at PK due to stunlock(Axe BM).
- Excellent damage-dealing class.
- Very good solo character.
- Invincible if paired with a Cleric. Can do solo-mode HH with just a Cleric and himself.
- Fun to play.
- Good in TW.

A couple of downsides:
- Not enough HP to main tank. (Can backup tank.)
- PKing is difficult.

Weapon Strengths and Use:

You have to decide what kind of BM you want to be. This is defined by your weapon choice:

Fist: Dex based fighter. Fast attack rate and low damage, but can be seen as very deadly vs. casters.

Spear: Str based fighter. Good attack rate and medium damage, the spear comes into its own during TW. It can hit multiple targets that are standing in a row. Spear users have 2 distance strikes.

Poleaxe/Dual Axe: Str based fighter. The axes are the spike damage. They have a high max damage and a low minimum damage, with the slowest attack rate. Axes have the most AoE's and the most Stuns for BM's.

Polehammer/Dual Hammers: These are the exact as Axes, except their more constant damage. They have a higher minimum damage, and a lower maximum damage.

Swords/Blades (single or dual): Dex based fighter. These are the dex based fighters. Who will critical hit often and are more evasive than other weapon types, other than fists, as they are dex based too. These are great damage dealers, they hit second fastest and can put out big numbers. Their skills are geared towards 1 vs. 1.

Your role in TW: (by weapon type)
If played right, any class can be "powerful", also played poorly any class can be "pitiful". Here is the strength of the BM:

Fist - Rarely used but can be very effective. The goal of the fist BM is to sneak to the back lines and take out the casters from behind. They have a number of fast stuns. Since they hit fast but not hard, they are best vs. classes with low HP and armor..ie archers/mages/clerics. Fist BM's can interrupt casting with their skills.

Blade/Dual Blade - Are GREAT 1 on 1. These BM's (if dex based) are best vs. other NON blade bm's, Barbarians, and Archers. They can dish out a scary amount of DPS and melt high HP players. Their dodge rate VS. the other BM or Barb's axe hit rate will keep them alive. Since spear and axe/hammer bm's have a hard time with archers, bladers are key to take them out in TW.

Axes & Hammers - Most people think Axe BM's are for damage. They are, but that is the 2nd roll. The Axe BM's job is to run in and STUN groups and KEEP THEM STUNNED while the others tear down the players. Find a group, run in and AOE STUN..then AOE DAMAGE them to death, along with everyone else. By lvl 29 you have 3 stuns, only 1 is AOE. So AOE stun, then stun 2 more with the single hits. Keep your opponents useless. THAT is the role of the Axe BM.

Spear - They are between sword and axe. Spear users have 2 stuns? and 2 long range skills, and alot of their skills deal damage to people standing in a row. They have good aoe, but alot of theirs are straight out infront of them. Say your a spear BM and you go toe to toe with another BM who has a mage standing right behind him. Alot of your skills are geared to hit the BM AND the mage! Can really catch people off guard with Spears.

Again, if you have something to add, PLEASE pm it to me. Thanks!

Build Strats: (Always keep about 5 points free for emergencies)

Axe/Hammer:
PVP build: Enough Str for Weapon, enough Dex for light armor, All other points into Vit.
PVE build: Every Even level 3str/2vit. Every odd level 3str/1dex/1vit. Do not exceed 50-60 dex.

For a tanker build, move 1 dex every other odd lvl to vit. NOTE: Youi will miss, ALOT. But you will have the HP needed to Main Tank, just hope you can keep aggro. Might want to tell your party to let you have about 2-3 minutes alone with the mob before they start attacking. And remember that Stream Strike gives Threat each use.
Even level: 3str/2vit. EX: lvl 30, 32, 33, 34, 36, 37, 38, 40
Odd level: 3str/1vit/1dex. EX: lvl 31, 35, 39

Blade/Sword:
PVP build: Sources say to have more DEX and STR than required. So ensure you can wear the latest armor and sword then take your spare points and divide them among STR and DEX. Add to VIT as needed.
PVE build: Enough str for heavy armor, enough dex for weapon, all other points into Vit

Spear:
PVP build: every Even level: 3str/2dex, every Odd level: 2/str/2dex/1con
PVE build: every Even level: 3str/2vit, every Odd level: 3str/1vit/1dex

Fist:
PVP build: Put enough for your weapon, all the rest into DEX. (you will have low HP, but super high crit and evasion. Read the PVP tactics area for Fist.
PVE build: Every Level: 2str/2dex/1con until you have 50 con. Then your build needs to be 2str/3dex.

Helpful Tips:
Apothocary:
Life Powder: This is a must for Blademasters. It takes 25 herbs to create, each harvest gives 2 or 3 of the herb. You need 15 nectar and 10 golden herb. This pill gives FIVE pills when made. Each pill gives 50hp regen per SECOND, for 10 minutes. 1 manufacturing gives you 50 minutes of basically potion free grinding/questing. Its a huge money saver if you take an hour and stock up on nectar and golden herb. There are others in the regen line as you level up apothocary, The next is Flourish Orb at lvl 3.

Focus Powder: This is a good pill for Blademasters. You need 15 Crane herb and 10 Salvia Herb. Each pill gives 50mp regen per SECOND, for 10 minutes. 1 manufacturing gives you 50 minutes of basically potion free grinding/questing. I can spam skills and hardly ever need to use a mana pot for 10 minutes. Its a huge money saver if you take an hour and stock up.

Dew of Rival Protection: These are a life saver. It takes 15 Tuckahoe and 10 Salvia Root. 1 Manufacturing gives 5 pills. This pill absorbs 1000 of the next damage dealt to you. This is a good one to have on hand. In those bad moments where pots arn't cutting it and diamond sutra is on cooldown, these will save your life. Pop one and finish the mob or cloud sprint to safety to regen. There are others in the Protection line, the next covers 2000hp damage at level 3 of apothocary.

Healing:
Potions: To maxamize on your potion effectiveness, take the time to wait until after the fight to heal. Once you are meditating, potions heal an extra X% when drank. That goes for HP and Mana potions.

Diamond Sutra: Even at level 1 this skill can keep you from constantly digging into your potion pouch...and out of the coin purse.

Guardian Charms: These charms are cash shop only, and heal you after your hp is below 50%. To help preserve your charm for when you REALLY need it, do use your free healings. The life powder you harvested and your Diamond Sutra.

Chi:
Chi is either gained or consumed when using your skills.

Spark: Also known as Fury, is when you accumulate 100 chi, a red jewel will ignite next to your chi bar. Many skills require 1 Spark to activate, such as Diamond Sutra or your level 29 skill.

Chi Building: In order to build chi, there are a number of ways. General fighting and many combat skills will build your chi up. It is best to know which skills build chi, and which ones consume chi. Because I play on the Lost City server (PVP) I like to take a few minutes after logging in and build chi up before leaving the city. You may be thinking, "But you can't fight in a city without dueling..which you may spend chi..so how?" Spam your Muscle and Magical Marrow skills. They are cheap on mana and will build on your chi. You can use Aura of the Golden Bell as well, but that is not mana efficient. So when I leave town, I have my Spark plus a full chi bar.

Chi Consuming Skills: Stream Strike, Leap Forward, Leap Back, Lion Roar, Each weapons level 29 skill(1Spark), Each weapons level 59 skill(2 Sparks), Striding Stroll (cloud sprint upgrade)

PVP Tips:
Axe/Hammer - (I can only give advice on these weapons as it is the only BM I've played. This is only in my experience, up to lvl 42 currently.)
STUN STUN STUN! I don't care if its a duel or a gank, STUN! You have THREE of them by 39. I find that it is best to open with Drake Bash to start with a stun. At first this is a 3.3 second stun, max lvl is 6 seconds. From there hit them hard, I like to do 1 fan of blades and 1 basic melee hit. By now the stun is near completion, so time to hit them with Aeolian blade. Hopefully there is another 3 second stun. While stunned hit them with Ocean's edge or Drakes Ray. After that skill start your roar of the pride. Here is another 3.3 second stun! Lay into them with another fan of blades or Mountain sever if you have it. At this point you only have FOUR seconds to kill before your next stun is ready!

Using this a rough setup, I've managed to kill 2 blademasters both higher lvl than me by 2 levels. (one at a time.) For ganking mages and Veno's. Use the same tactics and make sure to have Magical Marrow used! This ups your magic resist greatly! If facing a Veno, make sure you IGNORE the pet, go straight for the Veno. If the Veno drops, the pet goes away.

Fist/Claw - You're basically a ninja. Make sure you're packing light armor and a magic def. amulet, because you're hunting archers, priests, and magicians. Evasion and phys. def are useless because archers will hit you with or without it, and magic goes right through evasion. Now, just remember the #1 rule of fist PvPing- Do NOT get into a straight up fight. You will lose.

For archers, mages, priests, and venos, your strategy is simple. Put Aeolian Blade, Draw Blood, and Shadowless Kick to a macro, then spam it. If they run, put Windwalk/But thingy on your skill thing and chase.

For BMs and WBs, your strategy is even simpler. Run. I'm serious, run like the wind, and come back when he's fighting someone else and gank him. With the amount of dex you should have, light armor gives you a slight speed bonus, and with Cloud Sprint/But thingy the difference gets amplified...it might not seem like a lot, but you should be able to outrun them. I'm pretty sure there's a guy somewhere who calculated that if you factor in the cast time and all that, it ends up with a small lead over someone who just ran.

AOE Leveling Tips:

AOE Skills:
Roar of the Pride(AOE Stun), Fan of Flames(may be replaced at lvl 49), Mountain Sever Sweep, Cleaving Splash, and Volcanic Stunner, and finally the lvl 59 skill. (The name escapes me)

I have now leveled up to 48 and decided to add some leveling tips. Since lvl 41 I have began AOE grinding and have been VERY suprised with the effectiveness of it. I really began to love it at 44 when I took on 5 senile weezleblooms way NE of Sumor Camp. There is a spot where a number of them spawn. The trick to AOE grinding is placement. These mobs are aggro, so get near them and they begin to chase. Get 3-5 together and AOE Stun them. Get yourself in place to maximize your Fan of Flames. Begin to Cleaving Swipe, Fan of Flames, and Mountain Sever them to death. This is NOT recommended with pots and diamond sutra only, but it IS possible. I highly suggest using Muscle Marrow as well, as it will drop 30hp a hit per mob. (Depending on your level, mine is quite low.)

Once you get to Sundown Town, the Conquering Dustwraiths are PRIME for this technique as well. This works amazing with a partner BM. A partner BM and I routinely dropped 5-10 at a time in a matter of a minute or half a minute. She was a Spear Bm..let me tell you they are strong! My initial analysis that Spear strength is between axe/hammer and Sword may not do them justice.
It takes a big man to cry, but a bigger man to laugh at him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Guild: Outlaw
Post edited by Monarch - Lost City on

Comments

• Razerblade - Heavens Tear
    Razerblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Nice information, Makes me like the fact that I choice a BM, but I'm set for dual-blade and I want to do dual-axe.
    I have really high dex, need a reset to lower.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Razer, you don't need to reset it, just up your str and vit until your back on track with your dex.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Razerblade - Heavens Tear
    Razerblade - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    That is what I'm going to try and do. It just sucks, because I then lose alot of the weapon I should be able to use.
    I wont have the dex for the sword or the str for the axes, so I'll be using lower level stuff, I will be working on it.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    That will be rough, but you have a lot of quests that require groups ahead of you. They can help carry you through along with the crazy stone quests. You'll move fast and get those stat points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    I've added some more content towards the bottom...and bump.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aurumfaramon - Heavens Tear
    Aurumfaramon - Heavens Tear Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I am the way of the Fist, it is enjoyable.

Kung Fu moves should be coming out at some point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Is that what the king of kung fu NPC is for? What do you know about it?

What build are you using?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Spear PvP build is:

Even Levels: 3 STR | 2 DEX
    Odd Levels: 2 STR | 2 DEX | 1 VIT
  • Lu_bu - Heavens Tear
    Lu_bu - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Very good information on the weapon usage. im a spearmaster myself and i have been trying to build my character to a maximum good usage. your tips really help. good luck in PvP server.
  • Firsttofire - Heavens Tear
    Firsttofire - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Fist PvP build: Str: As much as you need to carry your weapon Dex: Everything else. (I'm not kidding, the way this works is that the only that thing can hit you are mages or archers, and they shouldn't see you coming with SK)

Fist PvE build: Str: 2 Dex: 2, Con: 1, until you have 50 con. Then Str: 2 Dex:3

PvP Tips:

Fist/Claw- You're basically a ninja. Make sure you're packing light armor and a magic def. amulet, because you're hunting archers, priests, and magicians. Evasion and phys. def are useless because archers will hit you with or without it, and magic goes right through evasion. Now, just remember the #1 rule of fist PvPing-

Do NOT get into a straight up fight. You will lose.

Ok, if you're just that much better than them, or for some strange reason, you might win. But that's not what you're good at. Your job is to run to the priests and magicians, stun them silly, cancel out their moves, then use your jacked up movement speed to hunt them down. Your job is to find the pure dex archers who've read Mystic's annoying **** PvP guide and are packing so many belts of evasion that they could afk and survive and spam Shadowless kick on them. Your job is to find that random mage who's just sitting there taking your kills and gank him to death. Your job is to sneak up behind that veno who's pet is occupied and completely **** her. Your job is to around looking like a complete Narutard with 2 Rasengans and- ok, got a bit carried away there.

For archers, mages, priests, and venos, your strategy is simple. Put Aeolian Blade, Draw Blood, and Shadowless Kick to a macro, then spam it. If they run, put Windwalk/But thingy on your skill thing and chase.
    For BMs and WBs, your strategy is even simpler. Run. I'm serious, with the amount of dex you should have, you'll be almost as fast as a mount. Run like the wind, and come back when he's fighting someone else and gank him.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    Lyndura and Firstofire, thank you for your contributions. The meat of your post has been added.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I would love to hear some Spear and Blade/Sword PVP/TW/Duel tips and strats from actual users!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • exocet
    exocet Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    About dual bladed BMs PVP build, you sure enough dex for weapon is enough?
    Shouldnt add more Dex to get some more dogde? and make other doge you less?
    Dont want a very high con char that cant deal much damage..

What about BM skills, can anyone give me some tips?
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    Exocet,

In PVP, you can't deal damage if your dead. You need the hp. The dex needed for weapons is high enough to allow for plenty of crit hits and dodge. Once you start playing you'll realize that there is a LOT of availability to add evasion onto your gear, on top of your dex.

Also Vit doesn't only just give you HP. Points into vit adds to your hp regen, along with the armor rating you get from your armor. So even if you do get hit as a dex blader, you woln't get hit as bad as you would if you had put all those points into dex.

Vit = knowing you can take a hit while still deal damage.
    Dex = Praying you don't get hit while you still deal damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    exocet wrote: »
    About dual bladed BMs PVP build, you sure enough dex for weapon is enough?
    Shouldnt add more Dex to get some more dogde? and make other doge you less?
    Dont want a very high con char that cant deal much damage..

What about BM skills, can anyone give me some tips?
    Exocet,

In PVP, you can't deal damage if your dead. You need the hp. The dex needed for weapons is high enough to allow for plenty of crit hits and dodge. Once you start playing you'll realize that there is a LOT of availability to add evasion onto your gear, on top of your dex.

Also Vit doesn't only just give you HP. Points into vit adds to your hp regen, along with the armor rating you get from your armor. So even if you do get hit as a dex blader, you woln't get hit as bad as you would if you had put all those points into dex.

Vit = knowing you can take a hit while still deal damage.
    Dex = Praying you don't get hit while you still deal damage.

Any build that follows the next format, is a PvE build: Minimum requeriment for weapon/armor, rest into VIT.

Following that build, as an Sword/Blade BM, you will suck at PvP. Any other PvP built character will kill you, like Fist BM's, Spear BM's, PvP Axe BM's, PvP WB's, LA Mages, Archers, etc.

To be an PvP Sword/Blade BM, you have to add more STR or more DEX than the requirement, depending on your playing style.
  • melechia
    melechia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I agree completly with Lyndura, a PvP blade BM is primarily focused on str and dex, with only enought vit to survive in pve. Its ridiculous to make a vit based build for blader bm when the main aim of the class is to do heavy damage.
    Although everyone should have their own build, this guide is pointing on the wrong path for PvP bladers.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I will switch it. You guys know better than I do. Thanks! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I have added a few topics to the guide. I added Healing and Chi tips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • exocet
    exocet Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for all the tips =) really helping in making my PVP BM Blader build

can you just tell me about how much VIT is needed at about lvl 65/70 for PVE? so i can have an idea of how much points i'll have to add to STR and DEX to get good damage for PVP.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    That would have to be a question for Lyndura.

I'm building this guide as I go, being a dual hammer bm, and from talking/dueling other BM's and general PK. This character is my first run at any version of PW and any class. I wish I had more answers for you Exocet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Exocet - Heavens Tear
    Exocet - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    okis, thanks, was a good help already :D
  • Rojoverde - Sanctuary
    Rojoverde - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    oO hey dude um you should change fist guide to use heavy armour not light if you go full light your gonna suck at duels and stuff...they only things you'll be able to kill are archers mages clerics..but it would be tough to take down a normal Bm.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    Rojoverde - Read the rest of the Fist tips. The role of the fist BM IS to kill archers, mages, and clerics. NOT heavy armor types. Its best to gank other heavy armor BM's/Barbs when they are already engaged in combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rojoverde - Sanctuary
    Rojoverde - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Meh dude I've read your post like 3 times =) its good but im serious oO im not sure if going light will work very well but im still a noob...but I've spoken to some pro's and they say heavy so idk im useing various i prefer to switch depending on the enviorment but thats just me and your probly right i mean im lvl 29. -.-
  • killablood
    killablood Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Hi there. For dual axe builds, I was wondering how I should put the stats. I have been reading several guides and some say to put 5 str 3 vit 2 dex for every TWO levels and here to put 3str 2 vitfor even levels and 3 str 1 dex 1 con for odd levels (which is basically 6 str 3 vit and 1 dex). So which should I go for? The general difference is either putting 1 extra point into str and putting one less point into dex, OR put 1 less point into str to put 1 more point into dex. What should i do? Thanks in advance. (P.S this is for someone who KNOWS that won't get to like lvl 50, since I play on weekends)
  • Firsttofire - Heavens Tear
    Firsttofire - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Well, I've gone with heavy and light, and the thing about heavy is that if a mage decides to gank you, you're ****ing screwed. With light you at least have a chance of surviving, plus your dodge should be pretty good. If you go for like 2-2-1, then yeah, heavy might be your best option. I like to go pure str and dex, so light works for me. At later levels, you might wanna switch pendents instead, because they're a lot cheaper than good armor.

In PVP, heavy gives you a chance against BMs and WBs, but if you're fighting those, something's wrong. You barely even qualify as a melee character. Duels I don't see a fistie winning unless you're a lot better, I dunno, better against archers? Well, I guess, but if you don't get the first stun hit against most things, I doub't you'll win unless you're just that much better.

Still, your choice. I personally like light better, so this might be a little biased. Heavy is good, but a pure doesn't need that much phsy. defence.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I would like to ask some of the higher lvl, more experienced BM's. I'm a hammer BM and am right near lvl 55. I'm approaching the 50dex mark, and an considering sacrificing some VIT for DEX. How detrimental will this be in the future? I'm talking 10...possibly 15 points. thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dekciw
    dekciw Posts: 954 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    I'm a 8x Str-dex Axe WR. As a matter of fact my HP is rather low but I'll hit 90 shortly and the HH90 set will fix this little issue. 10-15 pts of vitality is negligible it's roughly 150-225 hp, unbuffed. It won't hurt you at all. I have personally low vit and I should have around 8k hp at level 90 with hp buff and no refining. So that 10-15 pts really isn't a big deal, the main tip I can give you is to try to keep your dex on multiple of 20's else that dex is pretty much... wasted.
    ZzXVdr5.png
  • Asgenar - Lost City
    Asgenar - Lost City Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Fist PvP build: Str: As much as you need to carry your weapon Dex: Everything else. (I'm not kidding, the way this works is that the only that thing can hit you are mages or archers, and they shouldn't see you coming with SK)

Fist PvE build: Str: 2 Dex: 2, Con: 1, until you have 50 con. Then Str: 2 Dex:3

PvP Tips:

Fist/Claw- You're basically a ninja. Make sure you're packing light armor and a magic def. amulet, because you're hunting archers, priests, and magicians. Evasion and phys. def are useless because archers will hit you with or without it, and magic goes right through evasion. Now, just remember the #1 rule of fist PvPing-

Do NOT get into a straight up fight. You will lose.

Ok, if you're just that much better than them, or for some strange reason, you might win. But that's not what you're good at. Your job is to run to the priests and magicians, stun them silly, cancel out their moves, then use your jacked up movement speed to hunt them down. Your job is to find the pure dex archers who've read Mystic's annoying **** PvP guide and are packing so many belts of evasion that they could afk and survive and spam Shadowless kick on them. Your job is to find that random mage who's just sitting there taking your kills and gank him to death. Your job is to sneak up behind that veno who's pet is occupied and completely **** her. Your job is to around looking like a complete Narutard with 2 Rasengans and- ok, got a bit carried away there.

For BMs and WBs, your strategy is even simpler. Run. I'm serious, with the amount of dex you should have, you'll be almost as fast as a mount. Run like the wind, and come back when he's fighting someone else and gank him.

um... wtf? and um... dex doesn't make you run faster.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    edited November 2008
    I was curious about that as well..but I seem to be outrun by archers and other fist BM's. Perhaps speed could be in the difference of heavy/light armor? Has that been looked into by anyone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.