Best partner to a cleric

Options
decoup
decoup Posts: 5 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Cleric
I have a cleric and my mates going to start playing PWI. We will be leveling together. What class do you recommend he takes to compliment being with a cleric? I would like to fill the healer role mainly when were together. I was thinking of getting him to be a tank but I don't think tank/healer would be the best combo, we would not die.. but I think if he has massive dps its better. I also want him to be a class which is not too reliant on money.
Post edited by decoup on

Comments

• spiritscollector
    spiritscollector Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    go for barb ....
  • lordarravis
    lordarravis Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    He should play a blademaster. Blademasters are fair tankers if no one else is doing to be doing damage, and they're also relatively cheap to play as, and they deal great melee damage.
  • decoup
    edited November 2008
    Options
    He should play a blademaster. Blademasters are fair tankers if no one else is doing to be doing damage, and they're also relatively cheap to play as, and they deal great melee damage.

I was just looking through the other class fourms and came to the same conclusion. The only thing I could not find was a decent choice of weapon. It looks like fist and spear don't suit the needs of my 2 team PvE leveling. So its betwen sword and axe.

From the descriptions, axe is good for stunning the enemy while the otehr people kill them. So I am not sure how functional that would be with a cleric partner who is focusing on heals/buffs.

Sword build sounds useful too but it seems like most people don't rate it very highly.

I guess I just need the BM to use the weapon type that can cause the most amount of damage (in PvE) while I sit back and mainly heal.

Any advice? Or should he be another class to complement the play style I intend?
  • Arenamanager - Sanctuary
    Arenamanager - Sanctuary Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    an offensive cleric or a barb is good. The offensive cleric should invest in ironheart / revive as well. Regardless of being full support or not, you should have 1 or 2 nukes; rendering your pair of clerics borderline invincible in general pve situations
  • decoup
    edited November 2008
    Options
    an offensive cleric or a barb is good. The offensive cleric should invest in ironheart / revive as well. Regardless of being full support or not, you should have 1 or 2 nukes; rendering your pair of clerics borderline invincible in general pve situations
    I would not have thought of dual Clerics. It could be quite powerful. I am a little more worried about gear sharing with that combination tho. But it would be a good way to get both Tailoring and Alch.

I don't know about the barb suggestion tho. From my experience doing this in World of Warcraft having a healer/tank combination is survivability overkill and drops your dps by too much making you level more slowly.

With that said, I think I will be an offensive cleric with a dps partner.

hmm... damn character selection is harder than the game!
  • berks
    berks Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    if you're into mobbing you definitely have to go with an ax blademaster, otherwise go for a veno (they specialize in 1on1 PvE and they can benefite from your +matk buff)

Definitely the Ax Blademaster. They have the most AoE skills and they have a skill that increases damage taken for all targets in the AoE by up to 100% (max lv x2 damage for 6sec).

Since you're the cleric, you'll need to learn to mob/lure any type of monster. Blademasters are limited to luring only physical monster while a cleric can lure both physical and magical. When you're ready to kill, just have the blademaster stun all of them and open with the lv 59 skill ax skill that increases damage.

Venos are best for 1on1 PvE because of the pet tank. All you have to do is take her target and just help kill it.
  • decoup
    edited November 2008
    Options
    berks wrote: »
    if you're into mobbing you definitely have to go with an ax blademaster, otherwise go for a veno (they specialize in 1on1 PvE and they can benefite from your +matk buff)

Definitely the Ax Blademaster. They have the most AoE skills and they have a skill that increases damage taken for all targets in the AoE by up to 100% (max lv x2 damage for 6sec).

Since you're the cleric, you'll need to learn to mob/lure any type of monster. Blademasters are limited to luring only physical monster while a cleric can lure both physical and magical. When you're ready to kill, just have the blademaster stun all of them and open with the lv 59 skill ax skill that increases damage.

Venos are best for 1on1 PvE because of the pet tank. All you have to do is take her target and just help kill it.
    I hear Veno is 100% soloable. Would having a priest partner be of use?
  • demonicangell
    demonicangell Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Archer. Lol
    Prob Not Tho It might Be Like Barb Or Veno Or Sword Man
    Server: Lost City
    Guild:Starting A Guild Named ~Angellz~ All Welcome To Join
    Name: DemonicAngell
    Class:Archer
    Current Level: 13
    Profession: BlackSmith
  • Onishi - Heavens Tear
    Onishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    decoup wrote: »
    I hear Veno is 100% soloable. Would having a priest partner be of use?

true IMO, veno's tend to get the least benefit from having a cleric, due to the fact that you can't heal her pet, which is well where 90% of the damage should be going. Generally speaking to a veno having a cleric with them (-50% on grinding XP) for a fairly negligable bonus (kill mabe 10% faster from the support perks), though possibly if you are more attack then support, your added damage may be more welcome. Though veno's do kill pretty fast on their own.

I'd still say veno+veno combo is better then veno+cleric combo. (due to them being able to heal eachothers pets)
  • demonicangell
    edited November 2008
    Options
    true IMO, veno's tend to get the least benefit from having a cleric, due to the fact that you can't heal her pet, which is well where 90% of the damage should be going. Generally speaking to a veno having a cleric with them (-50% on grinding XP) for a fairly negligable bonus (kill mabe 10% faster from the support perks), though possibly if you are more attack then support, your added damage may be more welcome. Though veno's do kill pretty fast on their own.

I'd still say veno+veno combo is better then veno+cleric combo. (due to them being able to heal eachothers pets)

Whats The Best Choice For A Archer Then?

X DemonicAngell X
  • Onishi - Heavens Tear
    Onishi - Heavens Tear Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Archer I'd say would work well with a cleric or a barb. Especially a cleric built to work with an archer, could help a ton by assisting in the stuns etc, and the archer can use the healing. I've worked with archers quite a few times and I have to say, it's not a bad mix by any means.

Especially when you factor in the way flying clerics, pretty much remove the risk of agroing extras. (archer shoots, 2 mobs come to him, cleric heals archer every mob who wasn't shot, basically walks away if they can't reach the cleric)
  • demonicangell
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Wow Wing Elves Rule!
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Don't discount the idea of 2 ranged characters entirely. My girlfriend (archer) and myself (wizard) have been leveling together for quite some time. We rarely get hit by things our level (part of that is the stacking of our 2 knockbacks and my slow spell). I think for you an archer companion might be perfect. Archer's bring more DPS to the table than Blademasters and have an array of useful tricks. Clerics aren't so shabby when it comes to attacking either.
  • berks
    berks Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Getting a little OT aren't we?

Anyway, the reason why I suggested the Veno was because of what the TS said.
    - He's looking for the "best partner"
    - It will be his iRL friend
    - They will be playing together

Between 5 other choices, the veno is "the best partner" for 1by1 grinding
    - pet tank reduces repair cost for armor
    - pet tank reduces total mana cost (less need for heal)

- your party gets at most a 70% increase in damage each for a quicker kill (throwing less skills means saving more mana)
    - in the 80's - 90's lvs you will actually be able to help your friend grind more pets FASTER (think 500+ pet exp per round).
    - at 1 point when the venos do their hp/mp switch you can heal them at once (less total pots used)
  • happytime
    happytime Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    if i were him id go with something fun and good so id say veno :D
  • PinkLily - Heavens Tear
    PinkLily - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    When I started this game I played a Cleric and my friend a Blademaster, he decided that he didn't really like perfect world and left the game to play a different one.

I kept playing and I met up with another Cleric and now me and him play together, I think we make a great team, he is more of an offensive cleric and I am more support based, so when needed he usually takes the tanker position and me the healer.

All in all we can both heal and rez each other and we both up differnt buffs that way we can each have high buffs in different skills.
  • advoc
    advoc Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I'd say another cleric would be the best to partner with. 2 of anything will allow you guys to kill mobs 5 lvls above you for max xp gain. But a cleric will be able to help defensively if need be, and you both will be guaranteed spots in fbs and instances whether as healers or DD. Even better, when you get tempest and start AoE'ing, you can set up for an amazing duo AoE group that requires no charms or potions to do. 1 rests while the other lures, bring em back for 1 to cast tempest the other to use razor feathers, then switch roles. Fastest xp gain I've had yet.
  • Chaotiic - Lost City
    Chaotiic - Lost City Posts: 498 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I would suggest either an Archer or Blademaster(Axes) as the best partner for a Cleric.

Blademaster (Axes)
    A combination of a Blademaster and Cleric provides the fastest leveling dues to the ability to AoE grind. When u reach 5x questing becomes slow and most people grind for levels Axe BMs have several aoe skill which make grinding extremely fast. Basically the BM runs to a bunch of mobs gathers 15 or so then uses his aoe skills to kill them while the cleric spam heals him. In this way he kills 15+ mobs in the time it normally takes him to kill 1. As the you(the cleric) are in pt u get exp for the mobs as well so u level extremely fast. (this is actually one of the fastest methods of leveling at 80+)

Archer
    If u plan to do a lot of PvP Acher Cleric combo works extremely well as they both deal large amounts of damage and the Archer has a skill which (at max) reduces the opponents metal defense by 50%. As Clerics skills are mainly metal they deal twice the damage. Also the mix of these two high damage range classes means they kill extremely quickly in pve.
    Official Guild History

Conqueror->kamisama
  • Miaku - Heavens Tear
    Miaku - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    I adopted a barbarian for my leveling partner and I find that low DPS is not a problem. When DPS seems to be lacking I toss a plume shot or two in there and we move right along.

Plus as you mentioned it is great for survivability. He keeps me alive with AoE aggro and I keep him alive with heals.

Though your friend's interest should also come into account. Make sure s/he is picking something s/he enjoys playing, not just something that would be useful for you. Just having someone around regardless of class will help you as a cleric.
    "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who are doing it."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature created by: Forsakenx
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options

I do not even know this, so in a 2 player group, and only 1 player is killing mobs, then the player killing mob only get half of the xp he/she supports to get?
  • dtone
    dtone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Best partner for Cleric for universal purpose is Barbarian. Reason for this is because you're set party-wise as tank and healer. Everyone else is just a filler and Venomancers are a dime a dozen.
  • xlovex
    xlovex Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    cleric + any physical class, namely archer, barb, and bm.

why? because if the cleric focuses on healing, she'll never run out of mp.

and, a phys class can kill even without any mp.

so, no downtime!

plus, the cleric can easily kill stuff on her own, and when she gets you maybe half mp or so, go back to just healing/meditating.