I'd like some help deciding on a class, build, and server.

llamaman
llamaman Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Dungeons & Tactics
Hi,
I've recently started to play Perfect World and it seems like a fun game. However, I'd like some advice on which build, class, and server to choose based on the following specifications:
1. I will not spend any money in real life.
2. My play time will be an hour a day or less.
3. PvE seems mostly focused on killing massive amounts of monsters. How long does it take to get to a point where a party is needed? I'd like to do PvP if this is true throughout the whole game.
4. I would rather not train/farm. I would like to PvP as soon as possible and still have a shot at winning.

Based on the above, what server, class, and build would you recommend?

Additionally, I have a couple of questions regarding the game in general:
Is there anything unchangeable besides from stats, class, and appearance?
What is the chance of losing items when PKed? Will one have to re-buy equipment often? (EDIT: Found another thread that answered this.)

Thanks for helping!
-llamaman
Visit my pun blog at:
havepun.blogspot.com/
Post edited by llamaman on

Comments

• sve7en
    sve7en Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Bump, as I am in near the exact same situation.
  • ambition
    ambition Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    same here, but how many class [ character] can u make in total?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eislynn - Sanctuary
    Eislynn - Sanctuary Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Not sure on how many classes in total you can have.

PVP servers are the best way to go if you wanna PVP.

From what I see, venos level pretty quickly, and doesn't need HP charms/ SP charms as much as some do. Barbs seem to be very hard to level. That's all I can give you about those classes, sorry!
    A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity. -Robert Frost
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    llamaman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've recently started to play Perfect World and it seems like a fun game. However, I'd like some advice on which build, class, and server to choose based on the following specifications:
    1. I will not spend any money in real life.
    2. My play time will be an hour a day or less.
    3. PvE seems mostly focused on killing massive amounts of monsters. How long does it take to get to a point where a party is needed? I'd like to do PvP if this is true throughout the whole game.
    4. I would rather not train/farm. I would like to PvP as soon as possible and still have a shot at winning.

Based on the above, what server, class, and build would you recommend?

Additionally, I have a couple of questions regarding the game in general:
    Is there anything unchangeable besides from stats, class, and appearance?
    What is the chance of losing items when PKed? Will one have to re-buy equipment often? (EDIT: Found another thread that answered this.)

Thanks for helping!
    -llamaman

Very few MMOs do not have any sort of grind. While yes, if you don't die too much, you can level mostly from doing quests (grinding with a theme). If you don't want any grinding, there isn't really much you can do. MMO's in particular use the grind concept to slow down leveling to make higher levels seem like an accomplishment, and in turn get more money from players. Even if you do not spend any actual money to buy gold, by nature of you eventually needing things which use gold, they are getting money from you playing.

As far as the cash shop goes, you don't ever have to give them any money, and can buy the cash shop currency or items ingame with ingame money. However, for most classes, money can often be rather tight. If you are careful about what you buy, and buy only what you need, you can still manage with any class, but you won't be very good at fighting, and will probably die alot, both of which would slow down your rate of leveling. While yes, venos are one of the few classes that end up having a fair surplus of funds, and level fairly quickly, they also don't do well in PvP since much of their survivibility is based on their pet.

Every class has to eventually party, the question is how often they need parties to be viable... This goes back to the first two points, some classes can solo fairly well with the assistance of pots, charms, or sitting, some classes will die alot more often than others, making soloing almost impossible at times unless you have good gear or know how to use your class. Dungeon instances, bosses, and such, all require parties to finish. But, parties can be a rather good thing, when doing quests that have you kill or collect drops from creatures, most of these are shared across the party, so when 1 of something is killed, everyone in the party gets credit for that kill. This can make many of those quests move along ALOT faster. Most people start needing parties to do effective leveling somewhere around 15 or so, but can solo well into their 30s if they have decent gear, know how to play their class, don't mind dying a few times, and get lucky. Venos are really the only class which can solo the life of the character, only grouping for dungeons, bosses, or other hard kills, but as a result ends up being a bit lonely and teadious.

From a PK standpoint, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Generally though Blademasters and archers tend to be the most capable at PK just because they can strike fast and hard. At the bottom would be the venomancer, who, tends to die really fast, have their pet ignored, and only has 1 effective element type. Veno "can" pk, but doing so usually requires very good equipment, proper stat distribution, and the first hit. However, since you seem to dislike the concept of grinding, or paying real money, you can't really expect to get anywhere with it... especially on the PK server. PvP requires high level and good gear, there are no restrictions on how low below you someone can be attacked, so there are often instances where people will just PK people who are much lower level than them. It s common practice on the PK server for some higher levels to just sit in lower level areas farming people 40 levels below them. I don't play on the PK server for exactly this reason, but don't think you gain exp from killing people. Which means that regardless which server you play on, you will be fighting monsters most of your time, which means that once PK is enabled, you will be getting killed by both what you are trying to level on, and anyone else who happens to be passing through the area.

Essentially, if you want to be a PK happy person, you're going to need to spend alot of time grinding out levels, and alot of real money so that you can afford stuff, but this is essentially the same story in every game. Afterall, being an ***hole to all those lower than you should come at a price of financial wealth and real world accomplishents... It's karma. And as you are no doubt aware, there are those who do exactly that. They get a kick out of kicking you (repeatedly, then laughing).

In short...
    BM, Archer, wizard = good at PvP, can solo on occasion, kills fast, but can be very expensive if you want to do either.

Barbarian, cleric= acceptable at PvP depending on the situation, kills a bit slower and can't solo well without good gear/build, arguably more expensive depending on what you do.

Veno = Generally very poor at PvP, kills fairly fast with pet, dies without pet, can almost always solo(boring grind), least expensive. (have to be female)

All classes require some cash shop items eventually, and all classes require alot of repetitive killing (starts out fairly good, starts to be annoying around level 40, becomes painful (expensive after 60)). The more you can spend, real world money, buying items from the cash shop, or selling to other players, the better equipment you can get, the easier the grind. This does not mean that success ingame is just an organ sale away as you are still limited by what is available to your level, or for purchase, but certain things, like recovery items can allow you to die alot less often, and selling cash shop items (or the gold) to players can give you the ingame currency to afford good equipment or other leveling aids.

Essentially, your cheapness is in contrast with your disire for pwnage, but multiplied by the amount that you don't want to spend grinding. Meaning, that if all those things are necessary to you, this probably isn't a game you will enjoy, and for that matter, you will probably be hard pressed to find one that you will. What you want.... Being able to have fun at others expense, without any significant amount of time spent, or any monitary investment, just doesn't exist. If such a thing did exist, it would get boring VERY quickly since there would be no sense of accomplishment when you do anything, and most of the people you'd run into would probably be total jerks who want to make your time there as unpleasant as possible within the rules of the game.