STR vs VIT for a tanking barb

randomvictim
randomvictim Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Barbarian
I have been working on a Barbarian for the purposes of making a tank for parties. I was planning on going with a 7VIT/2STR/1DEX spread every two levels, but I had to pump up the STR to meet certain armor requirements. I'm trying to figure out if sacrificing VIT for STR will be beneficial overall to tank for parties.

Benefits of stats for tanking build (as far as I know):

STR
Increases Physical Defense
Allows the use of higher level Heavy Armor

VIT
Higher max HP
Faster HP regeneration
Increases Physical Defense
Increases Magic Defense

So there is only a physical defense boost from STR but both physical and magic defense boosts from VIT, but does anyone know if it's the same value boosted? And does the ability to wear higher level heavy armors outweigh the boosts of VIT?
Post edited by randomvictim on

Comments

• markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Tank build is enough str & dex for weapon, the rest into vit

Don't ever sacrifice getting better equipment for having extra vit, you'll tank well enough if you follow the tank build, and besides its just plain weird o_0.

Although when you think about it, Perdition would do ALOT of dmg as long as you have enough dex to hit ppl

Then again, you wouldn't be able to level without a party cause your dmg with the tank build isn't great, take away str and higher level weapons and yikes
  • Erado - Heavens Tear
    Erado - Heavens Tear Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    your build wouldnt work very well, with low str you cant equip a decent weapon, thus having a real tough time of keeping the aggro on a mob, kinda beating the purpose of the build.

tank build is per 2 lvls:
    6str
    3 vit
    1 dex
  • markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    oh ya its true how are you gonna hold aggro? Imagine partying with a pure int wizard , the wizard would be getting the aggro instead of you. Same with attack clerics and pure dex archers.
  • noobcake4lyfe
    noobcake4lyfe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    there is also a physical attack boost from str too duh. and yes I dnt mean to be mean but the wierd build you were goin after "will" fail....srry
    "Avarice, Envy, Lust, Pride, Wrath, Sloth, Gluttony"

"We 7 shall corrupt this Perfect World..."b:sin
  • Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear
    Wolfexxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    your build wouldnt work very well, with low str you cant equip a decent weapon, thus having a real tough time of keeping the aggro on a mob, kinda beating the purpose of the build.

tank build is per 2 lvls:
    6str
    3 vit
    1 dex

is this what u did