What is better for a Wizard...?

dasani48
dasani48 Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Wizard
I'm new to the game so I'm not very familiar with the terms and stuff, but I was wondering what is better for a Wizard? Pure, Hybrid, or Light Armor? And what do these actually mean?

I appreciate all help since I'm totally new, and please don't get frustrated with me! ^^;;
Post edited by dasani48 on

Comments

• /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Pure is exactly as it sounds: pure magic. They add enough str to equip their weapons and robes, and the rest goes straight to mag. "Glass cannon" if you will. Arcane robes have the highest magic defense, but the lowest physical defense. They do the most damage with their spells and crits.

Hybrids are the same, except they add vit. Some add one per level, some every other level, some add two per level, etc. Let it be known though that for every two levels of points (10 points), 6 must go into mag and usually 1 must go into str to keep up with weapons & armor for a robe user. I consider this build the least useful of the three because your damage isn't much more than a light, while your survival isn't much better than a pure. Some people like it though. 1 vit is equal to 10 HP.

Light means they use light armor instead of arcane robes. Light armor requires str/dex equal to your level+4. Light users do not have enough points left to add any to vit if they are adding enough str/dex/mag to equip their best weapon and armor. Light has a more balanced amount of pdef:mdef. Their crit% is a few higher than a pure or hybrid, but their overall damage is lower.

Which build you select is entirely up to how you like to play. Try reading the "higher lvl opinion" thread if you don't know what appeals to you the most. Good luck with your wizard.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • youngsly
    youngsly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    its best to go pure since when u get a a high lvl most of ur monsters are range attacker (menaing they use spells to attack u)
  • crvenazvezda
    crvenazvezda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ya im a lvl 12 wizard and as far as i remembre my stats are like this str 22 mag 27 vit 16 dex15 or smthng like that, i wondering should i kepp boosting strength and magic or shud i even everythng out (keep in mind i want MAX dmg i dnt kare if they kill me in 1 hit, i just wnat MAX dmg lol)
  • Ladyaradia - Sanctuary
    Ladyaradia - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Im not very far ahead of you in the game, crvenazvezda, but I can tell you right now that as a wizard, magic should ALWAYS be way more than str, vit, dex.. always. Strength does nothing, as previously mentioned, it is to be able to hold your weps. (Weapons and armor have Stat requirements...) If you want to be stronger, you might consider being a Blademaster. Magic is necessary for a wizard's spells to be potent. That's it.. magic is your top priority.

You could choose to have a semi-high vitality rating as well (for more HP.. longer survival)
  • crvenazvezda
    crvenazvezda Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    thank you ladyaradia :)
  • Jestersig - Heavens Tear
    Jestersig - Heavens Tear Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ya im a lvl 12 wizard and as far as i remembre my stats are like this str 22 mag 27 vit 16 dex15 or smthng like that, i wondering should i kepp boosting strength and magic or shud i even everythng out (keep in mind i want MAX dmg i dnt kare if they kill me in 1 hit, i just wnat MAX dmg lol)

If you want the highest damage possible you should have nothing in dex or vit. All points should go to magic (except the str needed for equipments that is).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iliketolol
    iliketolol Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Of course, if you want to aim for light armor wizard, get just enough dex and str for your equipments and throw the rest into magic. This build adds 3 magic, 1 str and 1 dex each level I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ^A light armor build doesn't have enough points leftover after mag, dex, and str to add points to vit without forfeiting the ability to equip the best weapons/armor for their level.

Tbh I would just remake the character and choose one of the two paths to follow, but that's just me. :x
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • Ladywicca - Sanctuary
    Ladywicca - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ^A light armor build doesn't have enough points leftover after mag, dex, and str to add points to vit without forfeiting the ability to equip the best weapons/armor for their level.

Tbh I would just remake the character and choose one of the two paths to follow, but that's just me. :x

LA mages cant pump their points into vit, but if u refine your armour u will get more hp on a light armour than on a Arcane one. Light armour also gives a vit / hp boost, where arcane usually gives a mp boost.

I was a Arcane armour before, but appart from the somewhat higher hits arcane has got a lot of disatvantages. The stink in pvp, same for RB. I think its wise to go to LA at a somewhat higher lvl, but i enjoyed Arcane till lvl 70.

Grtz
    Go WarL0rds b:chuckle
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    LA mages cant pump their points into vit, but if u refine your armour u will get more hp on a light armour than on a Arcane one. Light armour also gives a vit / hp boost, where arcane usually gives a mp boost.

I was a Arcane armour before, but appart from the somewhat higher hits arcane has got a lot of disatvantages. The stink in pvp, same for RB. I think its wise to go to LA at a somewhat higher lvl, but i enjoyed Arcane till lvl 70.

Grtz

...9month necro much?
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    *shoots Necro*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.