Coins & How To Save [PvE] Part I

Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Often times people are upset about the cost of things, claiming they never have enough coin to get the things they REALLY want So I thought I'd share some basics that a lot of people seem to take for granted.

First, all references to money defaults to "coin". Gold is an entirely different currency system and this essay is not about Gold. For those who do not know, there are several different currencies in PW. The in-game currency is called "coin" and is commonly dropped by monsters and acquired though the buying and selling of objects in the game. Zen is a currency that is used to buy Gold and Silver. It is used to buy Boutique items.

Anyway the first step to making money in PW is that when you start GRAB EVERYTHING. You might think an item is worthless, but in actuality, everything a monster drops has a price. Often times you will fine objects called DQ (Dragon Quest) items. These are used for series of quests later in the game and for the expansion of your bank. These items sell for quite a bit. You can either sell them in your own shop or sell them directly to NPC vendors.

This leads us to the second step. when you need materials and Dragon Quest drops, unless the price is close to what a merchant would pay for it, don't bother buying it. The greed of your fellow player loves to feed upon your purse. Find reasonable PC shops or farm materials on your own. General rule: Don't Buy stuff you can get on your own.

Next, the teleport master offers a hand service of sending you to a point you have visited previously. While really nice, and cheap in the beginning, eventually it becomes expensive depending on your location. Since the teleport system works on a hub system, you might have to hop from one spot to another in order to get to the final destination. Elves can save the most money by flying (79 meters up nothing will get you). Other races may have to hoof it. Teleport only if you REALLY need to.

Next, even though walking can be tedious, most monsters you will be able to kill are landbound. Kill when you can and grab the drops. This of course needs to be combined with another piece of advice, kill at your own pace. running out of MP or HP results in death. Most monsters aren't going anywhere. Kill a few and then meditate. This helps reduce the cost you incur with potions. Only if the monsters are 20 or so levels weaker than you, should you slaughter mercilessly.

Next, pay attention to drops. Often times, certain monsters drop certain objects with frequency. And sometimes you might want to find a less known monster to fight to avoid KSing (kill stealing). In essence, if you find a place with a nice drop rate and very few people around, farm the monsters until you feel content. But remember there are other players.

Next, Crafting is your friend. While some people believe that crafting is for "suckahs," it's one of the most reliable ways to make coin. You should probably have at least two crafting professions. The first being Apothecary, the second being anything of your choosing. Apothecary is a must as it allows you to do two things. First, you can reduce your spending on potions by crafting your own remedies such as chaos Powder, Vibrating Orbs, and Jade Powder. Second. you can craft charms and remedies you won't personally use, and then sell them for much more than the materials use would sell for. Third, the charms you can make with the Apothecary craft skill can improve the amount of damage you deal or lessen the blows of your enemies. This makes killing things faster and lessens the impact of damage upon your wearables. And a second crafting skill is a good choice, not only because you can sell what you produce, but you can decompose your creations, creating chistones and Mirage Celestones. These can be sold, used to create charms (with the Apothecary skill) or for those who are lv30+ they can be used to recharge your method of flight's accelerate ability, thus making travel much faster.

Next, it might seem like a ripoff, but invest in Gems. I prefer to invest heavily in Amber as it improves Evasion. If you have socketted wearables, this is a definite MUST HAVE. If enemies can't hit you, then they can't damage you as often. This means you consume less potions and your wearables will suffer less damage, making it so you don't have to go in for repairs as often.

Lastly, when you have the ability to do the Crazy Stone quest, don't buy gems form you fellow player. Level one gems can easily be acquired by a NPC Merchant and at less of a cost. Eventually the Crazy Stone quest will ask that you deliver higher level stones. Again, don't buy from your fellow player. First, go to the NPC Merchant and buy three of each lv1 gem required for the Crazy Stone quest. Then take these gems to the jemcraftsman and select combine. Hit the Element tab and then combine the gems you have.

So while skills and abilities do cost money, if you are thrifty and smart with what you have and what you can do, you can pretty much make all the coin you need for what your immediate needs are. And if you need more money, start putting coins into the bank and continue the process over and over again. It might be hard to make you first million, but it's certainly not impossible.
"Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Hmmmm.....nice writeup.

Apothecary is the only manufacturing skill I didnt chose / level. Might just try that.

Btw, is "focus powder" also something made at the apothecary? Some sort of MP regen potion?

Also you say "And if you need more money, start putting coins into the bank and continue the process over and over again. It might be hard to make you first million, but it's certainly not impossible." Well Im 1/4th the way there....b:laugh
    This is such a newb question b:surrender, but whats the advantage to storing money in the bank? does it earn interest? b:chuckle
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Is there a "definite" item to make to cut the levelling costs to a miniimum? Or do you just burn whatever materials you have? I don't even use potions (not yet, anyway... maybe it's a requirement at higher levels), so I'm not going to save anything by not using my own creations :-)

Like in another game, where among all the things you could make, a few items required an investment of 80 gold (not counting failures, of course), required only harvestable materials, and NPCs paid 76 gold for the resulting item --- resulting in a loss of only 4 gold per shot. This was the best way to level alchemy in that game.
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • Biovolk - Heavens Tear
    Biovolk - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    from my personal experience, if you're working on blacksmithing the weapons are ranked from top to bottom so the top ones require fewer materials than the bottom ones for each manufacturing level (column). But switch from weapon to weapon to burn as many ingredients as possible to level up for the first couple levels. Manufacturing is pretty rough but I heard its rewards are great.
  • Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    whats the advantage to storing money in the bank? does it earn interest? b:chuckle

There's no benefit, per say like interest, however, you are limited on the amount of coins you can carry. I'm pretty sure it was 1 mil, but I've never had a reason to carry that kind of coinage on me.

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Great guide!

Apothecary is not only your friend, but your very best friend! b:victory
    edited October 2008
    kargor wrote: »
    Is there a "definite" item to make to cut the levelling costs to a miniimum? Or do you just burn whatever materials you have? I don't even use potions (not yet, anyway... maybe it's a requirement at higher levels), so I'm not going to save anything by not using my own creations :-)

Like in another game, where among all the things you could make, a few items required an investment of 80 gold (not counting failures, of course), required only harvestable materials, and NPCs paid 76 gold for the resulting item --- resulting in a loss of only 4 gold per shot. This was the best way to level alchemy in that game.

I've not found one thing that can negate costs. Doesn't mean it's not out there, it's just with all the other crunching and notes, I never though of looking for a single item. I guess I though it was impossible off the bat and never took the time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    There's no benefit, per say like interest, however, you are limited on the amount of coins you can carry. I'm pretty sure it was 1 mil, but I've never had a reason to carry that kind of coinage on me.

I see. Thanks for that bit of info. Wasn't aware of that! b:thanks
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
    edited October 2008

Btw, is "focus powder" also something made at the apothecary? Some sort of MP regen potion?

Um. I'm pretty sure it is, but I sort of skipped the lv1 things with Apoth. I worked on leveling up using the chistones-to-charms method. But yes, Focus Powder is a mana regenerating item. It's stronger kin, Jade Powder, does the same too but it a bit more potent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Avernus - Lost City
    Avernus - Lost City Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited October 2008

If you're limited to carrying 1M coin, how would you be able to buy anything priced higher than that?
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited October 2008

Max carry is not 1 mil... someone bought a item from me for 1.9mil before.
  • wareagle1968
    wareagle1968 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    from my personal experience, if you're working on blacksmithing the weapons are ranked from top to bottom so the top ones require fewer materials than the bottom ones for each manufacturing level (column). But switch from weapon to weapon to burn as many ingredients as possible to level up for the first couple levels. Manufacturing is pretty rough but I heard its rewards are great.

that the only part of manufacturing that is rough is the collection of the mats. I am a former WOW player and the one thing I did like there was the fact that there were specific areas where cetain mats were concentrated. Here is seems like everything is very spread out and random. I don't know if this is true everywhere in the game, but I am finding it to be the case around Etherblade. Is there a map somewhere that gives locations for different mats? ie: thread, hides, gems, herbs etc.

b:cool

Michael
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/

I do not know how accurate it is on material location, the common herbs seem to be more prevalent then on it's maps, but it could give an indication. I think the starters area's would be expected to have more of them, as there are likely more low level characters.
  • iry
    iry Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Some things...
    Max gold you can carry is 200 million.
    Max bank can carry is 2 billion.

If your in a popular spot, if you hit the mob FIRST the other cannot pick up the drops at all for 30 or so seconds.

If you want to save money but dont mind take a longer time, don't use pots when your not being attacked. Use za-zen recovery or meditation. Also, try to get in a party with others for buffs.

This is the biggest mistake in the guide I saw. DO NOT BUY EVASION GEMS!!! DO NOT!!!
    Only 2 gem types are useful for level 1->100ish. HP and Pdef. If your a mage, pdef is your best gem. If your wearing light or heavy, go for HP. From what I've seen, dodge is just about useless for PvE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1perfectworld.com , the best resource for everything Perfect World.
    We got quest guides, cultivation guides, noob guides. If it can be a guide, its there.
    We also got free guild forums :D
    Now with flame forums and trading for CB/OB
    edited October 2008
    I beg to differ on gems. But I think it's really the kind of character you play. I should probably not have been as bias.

I am a Cleric, and with proper skill in my buffs, defense is pretty much a moot point. And I should probably clear up the Amber thing, as I'm not quite sure it does much it socketted into things like weapons. It is my experience that with high evasion, you take less hits form both magic and physical attacks. Maybe in higher levels where monsters are lv 120 (and yes, they ARE out there) it might be a different story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eislynn - Sanctuary
    Eislynn - Sanctuary Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    In regards to the bank, I've found that it's pretty easy for me to save up money if I limit the amount of money that I carry on myself. I'm less inclined to spend the coin on 'whatever', and I'll acitvely go out of my way to conserve the coins.

I'm pretty sure not everyone needs/wants to do this, but I find that it's pratical for me in the long run because I can figure out if I'm earning more than I am spending in a session or in a run.

Just an idea! =)
    A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of doubtful sanity. -Robert Frost
  • Kittanna - Heavens Tear
    Kittanna - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    First, if this is slightly off topic or posted elsewhere, I apologize in advance. I did search the forums (using various terms) and did not find the answer I was looking for, so here is my question. How does one go about creating a "cat shop"? I feel like a noob, for not knowing this, as all of the posts I've read seem to take this knowledge for granted. Am I overlooking something completely obvious (not that it would be the first time)?b:surrender
  • Shaye - Lost City
    Shaye - Lost City Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    i Prefer To Invest Heavily In Amber As It Improves Evasion. If Enemies Can't Hit You, Then They Can't Damage You As Often. This Means You Consume Less Potions And Your Wearables Will Suffer Less Damage, Making It So You Don't Have To Go In For Repairs As Often.

win button
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The cat shop button is in the Emote window, under trade. Press E to access this menu.
    Also, closing this thread. Don't necro please, this thread is 3 months old.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.